GA - 103 Yr old woman banned from lifelong church

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Steft50, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Steft50

Steft50 Member

I thought this would be interesting to see the thoughts of others. I'll be honest and say I'm not a religious person and the reason why I left all organized religion is because of men like the one here who calls himself a Preacher. Needless to say that isn't what I would call him. This woman has attended this church since she was 11 years old. Her father was one of the founders. Would be very nice to see her feel comfortable in her place of worship again. In my day doing something like this just wasn't done. I was taught the church, any church, would never turn someone away from it's doors.

http://www.fox29.com/news/19886897-story

2. Loading...

3. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

Awwww. Faux Christians modeling crap beliefs. How oppressive.

People like this are why people who are true Christians get a bad name.

4. Montjoy

Montjoy Inactive

I'm not religious, but this is dirty pool.

5. EllieBee

EllieBee Former Member

I am a person of Christian faith. And I extend the message of Christ's love to EVERYONE. Even those narrow-thinking dbags who really don't deserve it. Because, truly, I don't deserve grace either, but I have been given it.

I am a Christian. Not a narrow-minded hatemonger. Two separate things which nowadays get lumped together and I understand why.

6. kimlynn

kimlynn Well-Known Member

Wow. Membership revoked from a church. I never heard of such a thing. So much for being inclusive. And calling the police on a 103 yr old woman...
    They should really be ashamed of their actions.
    Maybe she could go with the members that have left but she wants to stay. Maybe someone higher up will investigate as to why this is happening with the members leaving and one being told not to come back. I hope so.

IMO

7. La Louve

La Louve For Whitney and Teghan

I thought the pastor's name would be Richard Head but I was wrong. ;)

sheesh, some people!

8. Brightbird

Brightbird New Member

Lol, yeah, maybe someone higher up is investigating. Someone much higher up ;) I'm not religious at all but I believe in karma.

9. bluesneakers

bluesneakers Keep your eyes glued to the floor

I was raised Catholic where something like this wouldn't fly. If we don't want you at Mass on Sunday we will whisper and stare until you feel so uncomfortable you have to start attending on Saturday nights instead.

Truthfully though I've never seen this happen and it's terrible!! She's 103!

What a shepherd he is.

10. bluesneakers

Is there someone above him or is this one of those independent churches?

11. kimlynn

Lol...whatever it takes. I also believe in Karma...not sure about the other. I go back and forth on that. I just know if someone had treated my elderly family members like that,or if I was around while anyone was treated that way...heads would roll.
    For someone to reach that advanced age and to be treated so badly...ugh.
    IMO

12. Brightbird

Brightbird New Member

Dunno, but presumably a pastor would believe that God is the big boss.

13. bluesneakers

I meant could she go above his head to argue her case, like to the Bishop. Maybe she could take it up with whoever comes before this guy in the chain of command in their religion.

14. kimlynn

That's what I was thinking as well. Someone higher up on the chain. I did find just a bit more background but wasn't able to find an actual link to the church.
    Granted I didn't have time to search long.
    The video interview says that Genora Hamm Biggs was a teacher for 40 yrs and the pastor was a former student of hers.
    Also her family were founders of the church.
    Former members ( one a former Deacon of the church) support her impressions of the pastor.

http://www.wfxg.com/story/30027379/103-year-old-woman-banned-from-church

15. Margo/Mom

Margo/Mom New Member

It is a Baptist Church. There are a number or independent Baptists that simply reject the notion of any higher ups. Authority is direct from God to the minister.

16. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Rabbis can be fired. They report to a board of temple members of their congregation, so I don't see why not??

17. bluesneakers

What kind of pastor thinks it's acceptable to kick out a church member like this? If people are leaving the church and he's kicking people out he needs to go.

I feel bad for her. :(

18. BeginnersLuck

BeginnersLuck New Member

There's definitely not enough information for me to have a opinion on this. Everything reported so far is very vague.

Is the pastor more progressive and she is old school? I have no idea! I can't form a opinion on the little that has been reported so far.

19. SophieRose

SophieRose New Member

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2015...old-stay-out-church-after-92-years-attendance

The core of the problem, according to Biggs, is that Union Grove Baptist has been a Baptist church throughout its history. However, she described Mattox as a holiness preacher with a different doctrine.

“He is a holy sanctified minister or so he says. We voted him in and we didn’t know it until he was there. We are Baptists and that’s what we want to stay,” Biggs said.
    ===

It sounds like the Holiness doctrine is maybe Pentecostal.

http://www.patheos.com/Library/Pentecostal

20. BeginnersLuck

BeginnersLuck New Member

I thought I heard a snip in the video about rolling on the ground or something like that. You may be right. I would still like to hear more considering there were so many signatures on that piece of paper.

It would really be bad if a bunch of "holly rollers" came into town and took over the church that her and her family were a huge part of.

21. LinasK

LinasK Verified insider- Mark Dribin case

Sounds like they didn't vet him well-enough. But if he can be hired by someone from this church, why can't he be fired? Doesn't sound right to be banning members for not liking the new direction it's going, especially when she is 103. What happened to respect for your elders???