GA - 8 dead after shootings at three spas, Atlanta, 16 Mar 2021 *arrest*

<modsnip deleted post>

This link was provided earlier.

I hope this isn’t the case, but I would not be surprised if it turns out that these murders were motivated by the anti-Asian sentiment that seems to have been on the rise since the start of the pandemic (which a number of public figures memorably blamed on China). It’s a tragedy no matter the motivation, of course—IMO, though, it would just be that much worse if these women were targeted solely because of their race. I am slightly surprised but very pleased to see the murderer was taken in alive so that least there’s the potential that he will provide insight into his homicidal rage.

No idea on motive yet but it won’t be long. IF the case is race motivated, I heard one news cast call the place “day spa” and I wondered, aren’t a lot of these places ran by people from Korea rather than China? I hope race/hate isn’t behind this but as stated above, with the current situation I wouldn’t be surprised.

I read the reviews ... these spas are not your normal “massage” parlors.

ETA: birdeye.com had a lot of reviews.
The shooter is described as being religious and presumably Christian.

Given that tens of millions of conservative Christians, nearly all with easy access to weapons, drive by a variety of taboo businesses every day, religious violence as a sole motive is very rare in the United States.

I wonder if all three targets offered uhmm..... "extra services"? If so, I am thinking of a more personal motive. Perhaps a failure to uhmm.... "perform" leading to victim blaming rage mixed with self loathing?

No idea on motive yet but it won’t be long. IF the case is race motivated, I heard one news cast call the place “day spa” and I wondered, aren’t a lot of these places ran by people from Korea rather than China? I hope race/hate isn’t behind this but as stated above, with the current situation I wouldn’t be surprised.
And Thailand and Vietnam, but some think all Asian people are Chinese.

The shooter is described as being religious and presumably Christian.

Given that tens of millions of conservative Christians, nearly all with easy access to weapons, drive by a variety of taboo businesses every day, religious violence as a sole motive is very rare in the United States.

I wonder if all three targets offered uhmm..... "extra services"? If so, I am thinking of a more personal motive. Perhaps a failure to uhmm.... "perform" leading to victim blaming rage mixed with self loathing?
BBM. Or didn't offer those and he thought they should or they just did not like the look of him.

or they just did not like the look of him.
One was open 24 hours and might have been serving more than just late night office workers with back strains.

That aside, I think not liking his look is pretty possible. Certain spas in my city operate as fronts for prostitution- but evidently some do so only for select customers.

Basically, offering "full services" on demand to everyone leads to easy investigations and more rapid arrests. As a result, some spas offer two levels of service. "Full service" is only offered to repeat clients that have gained their trust.

The more sophisticated ones are said to offer "private party rooms" in a members only club type arrangement. This could make vice investigations even more difficult as the bar / spa owners are one additional step removed from prostitution (party girls are really sub contractors who tip out spa / bar to "party" there.

So..... a long story short, unless he was known, he might not have been offered what he was looking for (at least not initially).

I just heard that report as I was reading online about an increase in crimes against people from Asian countries in NY. I guess this was caution?

I think it is likely out of caution. Given there has already been some violence against the Asian community there, they probably fear someone may be emboldened to do a copycat attack.

I think it is likely out of caution. Given there has already been some violence against the Asian community there, they probably fear someone may be emboldened to do a copycat attack.

We will likely be hearing about his motives soon as people who know him start speaking up. I’m sure the fear of copycats has put that community in fear.

And Thailand and Vietnam, but some think all Asian people are Chinese.

And Cambodia, and Hmong folk.

Question? Isn't Acworth near Kennnesaw? The place where it's the law to own a gun?

JMO Junior there has conflict being a Pastor's son, and sins of the flesh. Probably wrong, but we see quite a few cases where grown children of Pastors commit awful crimes.

I am so far disappointed in the messages coming forward about this tragedy.
Without any evidence, the local news is trying to portray this as an anti-Asian crime. Could it be? Yes. But there is nothing yet to support this.
And then there's the chorus of voices about why he wasn't beaten or shot by police because he surely would have been if he weren't white.

In the end, I think this will be because of the business of the victims. I don't intend this as victim blaming but instead a mentally disturbed shooter who either felt slighted by people in this line of work or thought is was his duty to impose his moral standards on the victims.
It's a true tragedy. So many victims. I was watching the local news last night, from the police presence in Cherokee county (soon to be confirmed as the site of a shooting) to the next crime scene in the city of Atlanta.

I am so far disappointed in the messages coming forward about this tragedy.
Without any evidence, the local news is trying to portray this as an anti-Asian crime. Could it be? Yes. But there is nothing yet to support this.
(snipped)

It's not just random speculation, but based on the fact that most of the victims were Asian, the businesses were known to be Asian, and law enforcement themselves are investigating if this was a bigoted attack on Asians.

We don't know for sure yet that the motivation for the murders was bigotry, but it's certainly worth speculating without being chided for it. Evidence will eventually come out, either way. We'll likely know a lot more today.

jmo

(snipped)

It's not just random speculation, but based on the fact that most of the victims were Asian, the businesses were known to be Asian, and law enforcement themselves are investigating if this was a bigoted attack on Asians.

We don't know for sure yet that the motivation for the murders was bigotry, but it's certainly worth speculating without being chided for it. Evidence will eventually come out, either way. We'll likely know a lot more today.

jmo
It didn't take the local news long to backtrack on their story. I'm sorry but assigning bias to a shooter before any facts are known is poor reporting. They didn't just say it was possible, but found people and groups to interview and speculate on anti-Asian motives.
Sheriff: No indication of racial motivation in deadly metro Atlanta spa shootings

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back