GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Cryptic, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

I don't believe he had any reason to believe men in a truck were after him. The story is two men claim AA looked like previous videos of trespassers, they saw him and when they started to go after him, he ran, then became aggressive and they were forced to shoot him. It doesn't make sense that AA was running from the scene of a crime, that theory they're pushing doesn't fit. It seems more plausible that AA was out running, thought the truck was slowing down to pass him, and was surprised when instead the truck stopped and a man jumped out-that's why AA stayed on the road.
    As for being aggressive, well if I'm out running and strange men in a truck are bothering me, attempt to hit me and stop in front of me, I'm now forced to protect myself. The defense keeps pushing the narrative that one of the men is retired LE, but he was acting as a civilian and not endorsed by any agency to be there that day. So AA was placed in the position of defending himself from strange men in a truck, not the other way around.
    I also don't agree that this is a test case for the right to protect one's property. This house was not their house. Fact is, for all they knew AA was a subcontractor or someone that had the homeowner's permission to be there. Did the men even know at that time that AA had trespassed that day? I don't believe they did since it was the homeowner that had that video, so all they were acting on was their own eyewitness viewing of grainy videos. The defense has used the video of AA to prove he was trespassing, but at that moment those men had no knowledge AA had ever been anywhere near the property.
    This is a test of vigilante justice and it shows why it's not allowed. These two men went off without all the knowledge they needed, made a faulty assumption, their actions were seen as a threat by AA, the two men further escalated the situation and AA lost his life trying to protect himself. I don't know how anyone can see this any other way.

GarAndTeed, BeckyF, Cryptic and 16 others like this.

2. Mom24

Mom24 Well-Known Member

I have no doubt E was tired of strangers going through the home. The value of what was stolen was most likely exaggerated, if anything were stolen at all. If E had said "people keep going into the house" it wouldn't have attracted as much sympathy as if he added "and I've lost 6K of fishing equipment".
    Stealing that much equipment now makes the trespassing a burglary. Without knowing the laws in that area, it could even be a felony if the items taken were worth 6K. That's something you report to LE.
    I think it's more likely these men were chatting, they decided to take it upon themselves to fix the problem. Again proving vigilante justice doesn't work.

3. Hope4More

Hope4More Well-Known Member

October 911 call: black trespasser, nothing taken. November 911 call: white couple trespassers, in the garage, English says they are near where things were stolen before.

He doesn't say what was stolen, but he's definitely saying things were stolen from there, at 220 Satilla Drive.

(I can't remember during which pre-trial hearing it was, but the defense stated to Agent Deal (who disagreed) that it was reasonable to conclude from this Nov 911 call (AA) had stolen the stuff from his boat when he was on the property in October, or that English believed he had).

4. Hope4More

In GA, Roddy is as guilty as the MMs are if AA was killed during the commission of another felony each committed. False imprisonment- trapping AA with their trucks- is a felony. Hitting AA with his truck is a felony. In GA, whether or not *any* of them intended to kill AA is irrelevant.

Personally, I'm entirely fine & better than that with Roddy having the book thrown at him. I do wonder why the State didn't try Roddy separately on the same charges he's facing- seems like it would have been easier for the State to make it's full case.

5. worm

worm Well-Known Member

It’s rare to see a place under construction that doesn’t have some kind of trespassing sign. For liability, or fear of it, if nothing else. That doesn’t make it ok to enter it. It’s usually pretty common too when somebody is having trouble with theft.

6. Yuletide

Yuletide Well-Known Member

So one of my take always is that 911 WAS called on the “white people” and items were definitely stolen from that residence.

Cool Cats and Marg from Oz like this.
  7. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Veronica Waters
    @MissVWaters
    ·
    2h
    Good morning! Judge Walmsley is on the bench for the #AhmaudArbery shooting case. He notes the rest of the courthouse is quiet, as it's Veterans Day, an important day. He wants to make clear his respect for sacrifice-making vets, who make a process like this possible.

Judge.jpg

Roddie Bryan attorney Kevin Gough says it is unconstitutional to compel jurors to serve on this federal holiday--a violation of their rights. Says he's not suggesting the Court doesn't value veterans.

Gough & judge.jpg

The State will call Larry English as its next witness in the #AhmaudArbery shooting case. He will appear in a four-hour deposition, as he's made clear in court filings his heart condition coupled with travel and COVID risks make it dangerous for him to appear in person.

Larry English, owner of that under-construction house #AhmaudArbery walked through, recorded his deposition on 9.24.2021. English is a contractor and says he always dreamed of having a house on the water. Medical setbacks delayed its completion.

Prosecutor Paul Camarillo shows photos of the property to Larry English, who says walls have been plywooded here, unlike the way it was when #AhmaudArbery died. English says he never had "no trespassing" signs or fencing. A working faucet was there.

Paul.jpg

Larry English says kids would come on his property and get plywood, build bike ramps. Didn't alarm him, as "I was glad to see kids doing something instead of computer games." Scrap wood was cheap; he didn't alert anyone. A guy walked his dog nearby.

Here are the kids who'd come take plywood from Larry English's house; English could see them on his security cameras, which he could operate remotely.

Kids.jpg

State plays a Larry English 911 call from October 25, 2019. "I have a house under construction and a dock at 220 Satilla Drive. I got a trespasser there. He's a colored guy, curly-looking hair, tattooed down both arms."

Dock.jpg

English tells 911 the trespasser is "kind of plundering around down there" and he'd like them to send a deputy to check it out. "He looks like he's maybe drunk or on drugs. We've got a lot of tools and equipment there." He said he called a neighbor, too.

Dock2.jpg

Security video from Larry English’s property October 25, 2019.

[sorry - don't know "how" to get videos on this page]

It’s hard for me to hear some of this audio, but jurors have transcripts of the 911 calls to help them. Here is a Larry English security video from November 17, 2019 of a white couple on whom he also called 911. Looks like the man has a bag.

Back from recess. Larry English calls 911 about this couple on his property 11.17.2019. “Suspects… In the garage area with a large tool bag. I think they might be trying to steal electronics… He went around to the back”

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

8. passionflower

passionflower Just 1 tip to find a killer

Do we have a thread or forum on Kyle rittenhouse? I can’t find anything. Thank you

angelainwi, Jora, Chelly and 2 others like this.
  9. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

But why weren't they chased down,almost hit with a car and shot dead?

10. Yuletide

Yuletide Well-Known Member

Looked to me like they entered when it was dark

Marg from Oz likes this.
  11. Niner

No - no thread...

12. Niner

Veronica Waters
    @MissVWaters
    ·
    21m
    English says he didn't see the couple steal anything. Tells 911 that about a week & a half earlier, he'd realized some of his things had been stolen, and maybe these are the people who took them. In his deposition he says he doesn't know if these 2 did.

State asks English, as a general contractor, is it a normal thing to have people in & out of construction sites? He says yes--frequently during the day. Could be random people coming by, or potential buyer who wanted to view quality of contractor's work.

Another 911 call by Larry English. He tells them, he called them last night and now there's somebody else on his property. Tonight, it's a black male not wearing a shirt; tattoos on arms, shorts. "Same guy over there a week & a half, 2 weeks ago"

911 asks English what the guy's doing. "He was just wandering around under the carport, looking in the boat. He kinda looks like he's up to no good."

English plus.jpg

Marg from Oz likes this.
  13. Niner

Veronica Waters
    @MissVWaters
    ·
    19m
    More videos referenced in State opening stmnt of #AhmaudArbery visits to English’s property. In none of the videos does Arbery take anything. Note English earlier mentioned calling Ofc Rash who’d told him he wasn’t going to do anything that night so to just call this in.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1458840911455080452

[not sure if this video above works...]

I'm guessing it's lunch time?

14. Kristin Esq.

Kristin Esq. Verified Attorney

Is anyone else struggling to fully understand English?

15. clearskies1

clearskies1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I threw in the towel. I need closed captioning.

16. Hope4More

I think it's entirely possible AA at some point did see Alberle, clearly visible, standing right across the street from 220, staring at him. Exiting from E's house where he did, Alberle would have been directly in AA's line of sight.

At least one of E's nighttime videos shows AA leaving the property, at a typical jogging pace. On the day he was killed AA does seem to have been running faster than that down SS Drive. The fact he's running INTO the neighborhood- on a Sunday afternoon in broad daylight with many folks home just after church- instead of turning left & making a quick exit, suggests he didn't anticipate or fear being confronted & *would* absolutely have been surprised by the MMs coming after him in their truck. What innocent person out for a jog wouldn't have been in that situation?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  17. Niner

Veronica Waters
    @MissVWaters
    ·
    29m
    We have been seeing videos from February 23, 2020, the day #AhmaudArbery was chased and shot. These are daytime clips. State asks if anything to that point had been taken or destroyed. Larry English says, “No, no.” Says he did not call police that day.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1458848909724430338

We see videos from 2.23.2020, the day #AhmaudArbery was chased & shot. They're daytime clips. State asks if anything to that point had been taken or destroyed. Larry English says, “No, no.” Says he didn't call police that day: "I think it's the day Mr. Arbery got shot."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1458852360348909572

18. Kristin Esq.

Kristin Esq. Verified Attorney

It seems that Rev. Al Sharpton was in the gallery and Gough had a problem with it, even though he had been there long before Gough noticed. Gough said it's intimidating.

GarAndTeed, Niner, branmuffin and 3 others like this.
  19. sds71

sds71 Well-Known Member

@Phil_Lewis_

The defense attorney in the trial in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery is objecting to Al Sharpton’s presence in the courtroom, claiming it is intimidating the jury: “We don’t want any more Black pastors in here”

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1458872267371393027?s=20

Veronica Waters

@MissVWaters

Gough: If a bunch of people came in here dressed like Col. Sanders wearing white masks--. Judge cuts KG off, says he was asked if it was OK for Rev Sharpton to come in instead of someone from family. Judge said as long as it's not disruptive--and it wasn't

GarAndTeed, Niner, branmuffin and 3 others like this.
  20. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Ditto

Marg from Oz and LMDlong like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.