GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
judge is reaming one of defense counsel for his disrespectful demeanor to court. I don't care if you like me or not, it won't be tolerated in this court. I suggest we take a moment so you can follow the court's instructions. Was that Rubin? I was listening while working so not watching the screen

judge is reaming one of defense counsel for his disrespectful demeanor to court. I don't care if you like me or not, it won't be tolerated in this court. I suggest we take a moment so you can follow the court's instructions. Was that Rubin? I was listening while working so not watching the screen

The volume on my live feed has been so low I couldn't hear clearly what the dude did that the judge found disrespectful. Was it about using the term burglary after the judge had twice ruled against him on that?

Arbery Killer’s Dad Wanted to Shoot Him Too, Witness Testifies

“To be perfectly honest with you, if I could have gotten a shot at the guy, I’d have shot him myself,” McMichael said, according to a transcript of Brandenberry’s body-camera footage from the day that he read out in court.

McMichael also referred to Arbery as an “” while speaking to Brandenberry at the scene of the shooting, about 30 feet from Arbery’s dead body lying in the middle of the road, according to the transcript as read in court. This despite the fact that he admitted he didn’t know Arbery and had never seen him before.

Two Glenn County Police Department members testifying on Tuesday offered new insight specifically into the mindset of Gregory McMichael, the white ex-cop accused of sparking the deadly chase of the 25-year-old Black man, but not actually shooting at him.

It also appeared to punch holes in the arguments by defense attorneys that McMichael, his son Travis McMichael, and their neighbor William “Roddie” Bryan were only attempting to make a “citizen’s arrest” of Arbery for a suspected burglary.

After all, neither Gregory McMichael nor Travis McMichael used the word “burglary” in their initial interviews with police, according to testimony from numerous law-enforcement officers in the trial thus far.

Last edited:
The volume on my live feed has been so low I couldn't hear clearly what the dude did that the judge found disrespectful. Was it about using the term burglary after the judge had twice ruled against him on that?
that was what set the judge off but he then outlined some other previous behaviors he found disrespectful. Making himself too at home and messing with equipment in judge's courtroom, continually using a tone after being admonished that is disparaging/disrespectful. From what I could hear it was a combo of things that have been irritating the judge over the past few days.

After judge spoke or ruled, the defense guy turned his back on the judge and said, "I am so confused", in front of the jury.

@HayleyMasonTV

Kevin Gough asked the judge for a half-day or Veteran's Day off so that people can either observe or take care of things. Gough says he has no shirts to wear at the end of the week if he doesn't get to the dry cleaners. "I'll take that all under consideration," Judge said

back to Prosecution for redirect

Officer found the following in the report: breakdown by date of all instances in Satilla Shores where an officer took a report about something.

He pulled that info after the shooting and then again at request of prosecution for trial.

1/1/19 to 2/23/20 was AA a suspect in any report or case from that time period?

ANSWER: No.

GM statement to officer:

GM had a hunch or intuition that AA was breaking in hanging out and/or burglarizing.

"I don't think the guy has actually stolen anything out of there. But IF he did it was early on." but also said "I think this guy would be a prime suspect" (of not stealing anything out of there?)

GM statement to officer:

GM had a hunch or intuition that AA was breaking in hanging out and/or burglarizing.

"I don't think the guy has actually stolen anything out of there. But IF he did it was early on." but also said "I think this guy would be a prime suspect" (of not stealing anything out of there?)

A prime suspect of stealing.

Why? There were plenty of others loitering at the construction house. Other people jog.

Because of his race. Modern day lynching. I just don't believe they would have reacted the way they did and cussed out the way they did, a white man.

Foul mouthed, even after he was shot.

Convince me defense. No citizen's arrest or burglary mentioned by any of them at the scene.

Last edited:
Can someone explain what the dispute was at the end of the day re alleged crime/suspicious persons at SS? There is nothing to tie Arbery to it and nothing that shows it would justify a citizen's arrest ... so how can it come in?

I'll try. The State tried to get the detective to testify about reports he'd accessed that would have shown that there in fact hadn't been a rash of break-ins & burglaries in the SS neighborhood, which would have helped undermine the MMs rationalization for going after AA.

The defense objected on hearsay grounds & the judge sustained. On cross, though, the defense tried to get the detective to testify about the content , essentially, of those exact records. State objected, sustained. On redirect, the State got in that AA hadn't been named a suspect in any of the unmentionable calls or alleged unmentionable break-ins, etc. The defense objected to her doing that, on multiple grounds, including factually.

* After the jury was dismissed for the day, the defense droned on & on about those suspicious persons reports, he said, not because he wanted them entered into evidence, but to demonstrate that the State had mislead the jury by saying AA hadn't been considered a suspect.

What was anger inducing was the defense accusing her of exonerating AA through a back door while through the front door he slimed AA by saying he *was* a suspect in multiple break ins, implying it was LE who considered AA a suspect. That is absolutely FALSE. IIRC, a single utterly unreliable person made allegations against AA *after* he was killed. (PS. It seems pretty clear the judge wasn't having any of what the defense was trying to pull).

Last edited:
I'll try. The State tried to get the detective to testify about reports he'd accessed that would have shown that there in fact hadn't been a rash of break-ins & burglaries in the SS neighborhood, which would have helped undermine the MMs rationalization for going after AA.

The defense objected on hearsay grounds & the judge sustained. On cross, though, the defense tried to get the detective to testify about the content , essentially, of those exact records. State objected, sustained. On redirect, the State got in that SA hadn't been named a suspect in any of the unmentionable calls or alleged unmentionable break-ins, etc. The defense objected to her doing that, on multiple grounds, including factually.

What was anger inducing was the defense accusing her of exonerating AA through a back door while through the front door he slimed AA by saying he *was* a suspect in multiple break ins, implying it was LE who considered AA a suspect. That is absolutely FALSE. IIRC, a single utterly unreliable person made allegations against AA *after* he was killed. (PS. It seems pretty clear the judge wasn't having any of what the defense was trying to pull).
Thank you! I will replay that portion tonight. I couldn't pay full attention to it today (as usual). Really appreciate your explanations.

I’m thinking these defendants are thinking they should have went for deals after today. The state is destroying this citizens arrest stuff and JMO, I think this jury is getting the vision of a lynch mob with the way they grabbed guns and piled into trucks. The fathers own words are dishing his hole and this is making the LE there look awful too.

I’m thinking these defendants are thinking they should have went for deals after today. The state is destroying this citizens arrest stuff and JMO, I think this jury is getting the vision of a lynch mob with the way they grabbed guns and piled into trucks. The fathers own words are dishing his hole and this is making the LE there look awful too.

I wonder what plea they were offered? I assume they were offered a plea but would have had to plead guilty and get prison time so they nixed it.

One Of The Men On Trial For Killing Ahmaud Arbery Changed His Story Within Hours

11/09/2021 04:08pm EST

In the courtroom on Tuesday, Jeff Brandeberry, a Glynn County police officer who responded to the scene, read from a transcript of his body camera footage that day.

Defendant Gregory McMichael initially told Brandeberry that “[Arbery] makes frequent trips to the neighborhood and gets caught on video cameras every third or fourth night breaking into places, and no one’s been able to catch him.”

But hours later, Gregory McMichael told a detective that he believed Arbery had only targeted a single home under construction that had no doors or windows.

The discrepancy is important because the McMichaels are claiming self-defense.

But Tuesday’s testimony calls the McMichaels’ fundamental assessment of the threat they say Arbery posed into question, particularly since Gregory McMichael seemed unsure of the details of the alleged break-ins. The men also never invoked a citizen’s arrest claim at the scene, according to testimony on Monday.

618adc69200000ec7f8d238c.jpeg
Glynn County Police Officer Jeff Brandeberry sits on the witness stand.

“I haul *advertiser censored* to my bedroom to get my .357 magnum. Don’t know if the guy is armed because the other night the guy stuck his hands down his pants. I don’t take any chances.”

Gregory McMichael also told Brandeberry he would have shot Arbery had his son not done it. “I would be perfectly honest with you, if I could have got a shot at the guy [Arbery], I would have shot him myself.”

Brandeberry testified that police never told Gregory McMichael to sit in a law enforcement car nor on the curb, and did not take him away from the scene. The defendant also made calls while at the crime scene from his cell phone, according to the testimony.

Last edited:
Chasing Mr. Arbury down with guns was an extremely threatening thing to do and a very haphazard choice. I will never believe their intent was to murder someone and get away with it, otherwise they would not have recorded it, and would not have called 911. That being said, they set the stage for a disaster, and frightened the young man to a point that he tried to disarm one of them. If one only views the point where Mr. Arbury grabs Mr. McMichaels rifle, this is a clear case of self defense. Mr. McMichael had no choice at that point but to fight for his life or risk losing his life if he was disarmed. However, three men made a choice that day, that spiraled out of control, and one man is now dead as a result.

Bolding by me. Why would you only view the series of events from that point? AA trying to grab for the shotgun didn't happen in a vacuum. There was a choreographed event leading up to AA grabbing the gun. As far as I am concerned AA was not grabbing the shotgun as a means to turn the tables on TM, he was exhibiting classic defensive action by grabbing the weapon to stop being shot. That doesn't translate into grabbing the weapon turning it around and proceeding to shoot the instigator.

There are lots of people who have been shot or stabbed who attempted to grab a weapon and end up with defensive wounds. Being shot in the hand suggests AA was one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members