GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former LEO and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 *Arrests* #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
defense cross of Lowery. Suggesting that Bryan never assaulted AA or the LEOs there would have arrested him for assaulting AA with his vehicle.

Do you know Bryan? No. Is there are reason you would give Bryan special treatment that day?

Did he come across as someone who was bragging about his conduct that day? No. Did he drop F bombs, profanity that day. Don't think so.

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
5m
Lowery points out a dent on Roddie Bryan's truck. He says there were also fingerprints, and some fibers on the black strip above. Bryan, far left, peers up at the screen.

Dent.jpg

Courtoom.jpg

Lowery later visited the English home under construction. Saw tools there; no walls were in place, just framing. Even for a construction site, he says, it looked "unrummaged."

Lowery later met with a man named Alcott, who was concerned about traffic in area and didn't want people to think he was involved in this somehow. By March 5, Lowery says, as lead detective on the case, its status was "open but not gaining much traction."

Lowery.jpg

State: Sort of inactive? Lowery: Yes. Defense objects--that's not what he said. State: What did you mean? Lowery: "Inactive" was a fair summary.

State: Had you looked at citizen's arrest statute before this? Bryan atty: Objection; relevance. State: Goes to how he handled case, given it's part of it. *arguments...* State: Did "citizen's arrest" come up at any point in the defendants' interviews? Lowery: No Def: Objections

State: What if anything did Bryan say about seeing #AhmaudArbery commit a crime before jumping in his truck? Lowery: He didn't. What did he say about telling Arbery he was under arrest for criminal trespass? He didn't.

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

IMO, Albenze was a decent witness for the defense. He lends credence to the fact that Mr English was concerned about a man that matches AA’s description seen on security camera multiple times. Mr Albenze also felt alarmed enough to pull a gun, but was level headed enough to call police and stay home. If only all the men involved in this horrible situation had acted with a level head.

I actually think that was also good for the prosecution. Even if Albenze thought this guy was suspicious, he called the police and didn't proceed to go after Arbery. Why did these other men not do that.

I actually think that was also good for the prosecution. Even if Albenze thought this guy was suspicious, he called the police and didn't proceed to go after Arbery. Why did these other men not do that.

IMO, because they thought AA would stop, and when he didn’t they lost all sense of appropriate behavior. Albenze displayed reasonable behavior, but the parts the boded well for the defense were that he also pulled a gun and was aware of security footage from the English residence that resembled AA. That tells me there was quite a buzz in the neighborhood

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
10m

Missed this one:
State: Did Roddie Bryan have cell phone on him during chase? Lowery: Yes. Did he say he called 911? No. Did he say #AhmaudArbery had a weapon? L: No. S: Did he say Arbery made threats or threatening gestures? Defense: Objection, leading

State: What if anything did Mr. Bryan say about telling #AhmaudArbery he was under arrest for attempted burglary? ...for carjacking? ...for aggravated assault? He didn't (repeatedly). State: For anything? Lowery: Not that I'm aware of

What if anything did Mr. Bryan say about seeing #AhmaudArbery throwing anything from his person during the entirety of that chase? Lowery: He didn't.

Kevin Gough cross-exam: Context is important? Lowery: yes. G: If you understood Roddie Bryan to mean he deliberately attacked Mr. #AhmaudArbery w/his truck, assault with a motor vehicle, could you have ignored that? Lowery: No. That's not what I interpreted at the time

Gough: Roddie Bryan never denied following #AhmaudArbery, did he? Lowery: No. Angling vehicle ahead of him? Blocking his path? Trying to steer Arbery off the road? All you can really do is speculate how many times Bryan did various things? Lowery: Not speculation, what he told me

Gough: Any relationship to Roddie Bryan? Lowery: No. Any reason to give him special treatment? No. Did your decisions in case have anything to do with whether Mr. #AhmaudArbery was Black or white? Lowery: No sir

Gough.jpg

Gough: Did Roddie Bryan seem mentally unstable, under the influence, boastful or bragging, seeking attention, disrespectful? Lowery No. Fair to say you wanted his help to get truth of what happened to #AhmaudArbery? L: I hope for cooperation from everybody

Gough: He's just a witness at this point? Lowery: Yes. #AhmaudArbery @wsbradio
Gough shows him transcript section. Did you write in report that Bryan maneuvered his truck...? State: Objection hearsay

Gough: Homicide cases are not like others? Lowery: I guess. You didn't Mirandize Roddie Bryan; if he'd admitted to being guilty of major felony wouldn't you have? Lowery: Yes. Gough: You certainly wouldn't want to mess up your first murder investigation.

Gough: When this case was transferred to GBI, your agency still thought of Roddie Bryan as a witness? Lowery: Yes. KG: You reassured him you have to investigate any homicide, no matter justification? Yes.

Gough: Did you ask Roddie Bryan if he had any learning difficulties? Lowery: No. KG: There's been discussion of maps. This map--at times was Bryan so focused on map squiggles his answers are not always responsive? L: Don't know.

State objected as Gough continued; they sent jury out on a break. Again arguments center on difficulty of bringing in statements w/o full context due to Bruton concerns. Judge reviews; says State is right, this is goes exactly to what occurred at the truck, impermissible

Judge.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

Raise your hand if you think the witness on the stand would have called 911 if a white guy was in that house?

I would have called no matter what the person's race. But, my husband is a contractor and we've had so much trouble with looky-loos (and thieves) that go in the unfinished houses.

I know it's not viewed as a crime everywhere but (JMOO) it should be. We've lost thousands of dollars worth of power tools when workers run to pick up materials and no one's left to watch the site. We've had to run people off--I had to do that once when a young dad brought his two toddler boys into the house and let them go. We had an open basement with no stairway or barrier walls yet and those kids were running and screaming through the house.

What those men did was unforgivable--they chased Aubrey and initiated a conflict then shot him. For that they must be punished.

But, I will never agree that it's okay to go onto a construction property. Adults KNOW that property does not belong to them. It belongs to the contractor and it's NOT okay to trespass. It's dangerous and who gets in trouble if some idiot's kid falls in an open basement? The contractor. Kids, even most adults, and construction sites don't mix.

Okay, rant over.

JMOO

Veronica Waters
@MissVWaters
·
5m
When Roddie Bryan said he didn't hit #AhmaudArbery, did his demeanor seem like he intended to? Lowery: I don't know what that'd look like. He didn't seem any more distressed than anyone in this situation. G: Did he seem remorseful? L: Wasn't around him long enough; maybe shocked

7m
Gough: Did Mr. Bryan express uncertainty as to what he should do before the shooting? Lowery: Vaguely, I think so. Gough asks Lowery again how he took one of Bryan's statements & judge sustains objection #AhmaudArbery

21m
Gough: When Bryan didn't put "much emphasis" on the angling, what'd you take that to mean? State: Objection KG: He told you he was going to "back up at #AhmaudArbery? Follow him in reverse?" Atty Sheffield points out a coughing juror needs water

24m
Jury's back. Kevin Gough asks Stephan Lowery about Roddie Bryan saying he got involved in this... 1st he says he overshot the road. Lowery says that's correct. 2nd time he said he "crept out of the driveway." Several times he didn't seem to follow your questions? #AhmaudArbery

https://twitter.com/MissVWaters

I would have called no matter what the person's race. But, my husband is a contractor and we've had so much trouble with looky-loos (and thieves) that go in the unfinished houses.

I know it's not viewed as a crime everywhere but (JMOO) it should be. We've lost thousands of dollars worth of power tools when workers run to pick up materials and no one's left to watch the site. We've had to run people off--I had to do that once when a young dad brought his two toddler boys into the house and let them go. We had an open basement with no stairway or barrier walls yet and those kids were running and screaming through the house.

What those men did was unforgivable--they chased Aubrey and initiated a conflict then shot him. For that they must be punished.

But, I will never agree that it's okay to go onto a construction property. Adults KNOW that property does not belong to them. It belongs to the contractor and it's NOT okay to trespass. It's dangerous and who gets in trouble if some idiot's kid falls in an open basement? The contractor. Kids, even most adults, and construction sites don't mix.

Okay, rant over.

JMOO

My guess is that other people went onto that property, but they were
white so noone called the po!ice

State: did you call 911?
Albenze: no.
State: why not?
Albenze: because it wasn't an emergency.

Contrast for jury: Greg & Travis: No calls to LE, 911 or otherwise. Greg didn't even grab his phone, just his gun. Frenzied truck pursuit, trapping AA " like a rat."

My guess is that other people went onto that property, but they were
white so noone called the po!ice

Redundant, but.

English didn't want peeps going onto his open construction site, but never even posted a No Trespassing sign. English called LE to respond to both black & white "trespassers" after each of a handful of incidents in 2019, before he chose to accept Perez's offer (and NOT Greg's) to respond instead of LE.

It was LE in the form of Officer Rash who went door to door in SS showing a video still of the sole black intruder rather than of the white couple, for instance, that English told LE more than once he thought were responsible. Or any of the other white "trespassers."

Any even casual reading of the SS's FB page makes it crystal clear that at least some in the SS neighborhood were intensely focused on the lone black "trespasser" onto E's property, no matter what English had told them and LE about that black man, which was that he had never taken anything from the property. His contractors. A white couple. Never & not the black man.

@MissVWaters

Outside the Glynn Co courthouse, emotions run high for #AhmaudArbery's mom, Wanda Cooper-Jones. "I finally put a face to the name of Investigator Lowrey, who called me that afternoon & told me that Ahmaud committed a burglary, was confronted by homeowner, & was killed."
I listened to him today for three hours. He said nothing about Ahmaud committing a burglary, but that's what he called me to tell me. That was disturbing and very not acceptable," says Wanda Cooper-Jones.
"Every word that describes me now is just 'disturbing.' Ahmaud ran, Ahmaud was chased, Ahmaud was killed, and then Ahmaud was lied on. Very non-acceptable," says #AhmaudArbery's mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones. As she walks away, demonstrators chant, "Justice for Ahmaud!"

@wsbradio

v
ideo
https://twitter.com/AlexBelser/status/1458563848462651401?s=20
https://mobile.twitter.com/wsbradio

Okay, rant over.

JMOO

Agree. Imo, this isn't a race issue, it's a reputational issue. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads