GA - Ahmaud Arbery, 25, jogger, fatally shot by former PD and son, Brunswick, Feb 2020 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Cryptic, May 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

S. Lee Merritt, Benjamin Crump and L. Chris Stewart, the attorneys for Arbery's parents, released the following statement on behalf of the family:

"The family of Ahmaud Arbery was relieved to learn that the Georgia Bureau of Investigation has today taken William 'Roddie' Bryan into custody. We called for his arrest from the very beginning of this process. His involvement in the murder of Mr. Arbery was obvious to us, to many around the country and after their thorough investigation, it was clear to the GBI as well. The family of Mr. Arbery is thankful for the diligence of the GBI and they way in which they tirelessly pursued the evidence in this case. We want anyone who participated in the murder of Mr. Arbery to be held accountable."

Man who reportedly filmed Ahmaud Arbery's killing charged with murder

I will miss the presser tomorrow morning because of a family commitment but can't wait to pick through what GBI says and read my fellow members' thoughts on it once I get a chance to catch up.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    GarAndTeed, Wowno17, kaen and 9 others like this.

2. Ray_of_hope

Ray_of_hope Verified registered nurse

Touche.

3. Kaley Smith

Kaley Smith Well-Known Member

What crossed my mind was... Did he film this so they could show it later at a KKK meeting?

4. BeckyF

BeckyF Well-Known Member

Thank you for saying this. 100 likes!

5. Mandos

Mandos Well-Known Member

Prosecutor is playing a dangerous game here.

False Imprisonment | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

Closer Look at the Law Behind False Imprisonment in Georgia After Family Violence Incident in Hall County | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

False imprisonment in Georgia is only applicable if it can be proven that the victim had no other reasonable means of escape.

The video shows Arbery running towards the redneck’s truck, and not in any number of directions away from the road and where no vehicle could even go because of the trees and brush. He was not even close to legally confined under any definition or case law in the state.

All in all, looking at past case law it seems like a difficult case to make. An acquittal is exactly the kind of event that could make the prosecution‘s case against the other defendants significantly more difficult and would become a key part of the defense’s case. This is assuming his case goes before their trials, and it seems highly likely it would.

Matic likes this.
  6. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

That wouldn't be too far out.
    That in 4 long minutes TM and GM didn't basically come to their senses "what are we doing?" indicates an additional level of motivation to me. Beyond even catching a thief.

7. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

The point of guns is you can kill people and animals from far away, as in running away.

jesse, Wowno17, Steft50 and 3 others like this.
  8. Matic

Matic Well-Known Member

Good grief.

Boxer and magnolia like this.
  9. MikeF

MikeF Active Member

Btw the guy who did that video did an updated video and explained he'd been mistaken and it was Travis raising his arms.

branmuffin, MsBetsy, Wowno17 and 3 others like this.
  10. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

Yep
    Imo

jesse, kimpage, MsBetsy and 1 other person like this.
  11. Castle22

Castle22 Active Member

12. oviedo

oviedo Well-Known Member

I’ve followed his thread and posted MSM in his media and tonight I choose to respond to only the sleuthers who have done the same and understand what actually took place here based on the evidence - I’m a firm supporter of LE and this case is no different -finally Justice will soon be served
    IMO

MsBetsy, Niner, Wowno17 and 6 others like this.
  13. Mandos

Mandos Well-Known Member

And any decent defense attorney is going to counter that by pointing out the defendants didn't try to shoot Arbery when he ran around their trucks several times before the final encounter.

14. Boxer

Boxer Well-Known Member

Are you saying AA should have known they wouldn't shoot him because they hadn't done it yet?

Kaley Smith, Niner, Wowno17 and 7 others like this.
  15. tlcya

tlcya Old and Tired Websleuth

I firmly believe the arrest of WR (Roddie) indicates the GBI has sufficient evidence that he blocked AA's attempt to evade the truck driven by the McMichaels at least once and was an active participant in attempting to unlawfully detain AA.

16. Matic

Matic Well-Known Member

It was a shotgun, most likely loaded with buckshot, not a sniper rifle. You're not killing anything "far away" with a shotgun. Even if they were rifled slugs you would have to be an excellent shot to hit a 10x10 steel plate which would be equivalent to center mass at over 50 yards. That's half of a football field.

Let alone hit a running target.
    So No, that's not the point of guns.

Moo.

17. Mandos

Mandos Well-Known Member

I'm saying that proving the underlying felony of false imprisonment to get a felony murder conviction against Bryan is going to be very difficult, since based on the facts as we know them the required elements for false imprisonment haven't been met. And yes, the fact that Arbery could keep running off several times before the final fatal encounter will probably be an important element in that, if the case against Ryan ever makes it to trial, in particular regarding the following defenses:

False Imprisonment | Georgia Criminal Lawyer

There was a reasonable way out: If the victim knows of a reasonable means of escape, then there was no confinement. An example of this is if the victim was locked in a room on the first floor of a building and there was an open window.

The victim was not confined: Not letting someone go where they want to go is not enough to prove false imprisonment. There must be some sort of confinement. For instance, if a road was closed due to a parade and the victim wanted to go down the road but the police made her go another way, there was no false imprisonment.

18. zencompass

zencompass Hope springs eternal

Dear @tlcya,

Yes, the arrest does indicate this.

The fact that the G.B.I. took considerable time to decide to make this arrest, gives me confidence that they believe they have solid evidence. IMO

GarAndTeed, MsBetsy, Niner and 8 others like this.
  19. Castle22

Castle22 Active Member

20. Castle22

Castle22 Active Member

Oops - I was trying to announce Court TV is right now covering this update of Roddy’s arrest

MsBetsy, Wowno17, angelainwi and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.