GA - Anna Jones, 18 student, killed by Richard Sigman, 47, professor at U of W. Georgia *guilty verdict*

RS was not a professor, as has been widely reported, but a lecturer at the Department of Management in the Richards College of Business. (See the link below.)

FWIW, I am the child of two retired tenured university professors. Generally, there are clear distinctions between lecturers and professors. For instance, lecturers are generally not eligible for tenure.

"Lecturer" is often very part-time and a side gig for a regular job, especially in a business department. Lecturer can mean just one class in a specialty field or because too many students signed up for a basic course, so they quickly added another section. I wonder where/how/when RS did actual "business"?

Sometimes, "lecturer" is simply the long-term lowest-on-the-totem pole job in a department that is otherwise tenure-based. This would be at a four-year university/college. I'm think, though, this would be rare in a business department, or fields that depend on experience in e.g. a corporation, solo-business, etc..

Community colleges have instructors. They are almost all non-tenured. Actually, I don't know if I've ever come across a tenured person at a community college. Community colleges are open to instructors who don't have Ph.D's.

Excerpt from Anna's obituary:

Anna was born on November 30, 2003, in Carrollton, Georgia ....
She was a lifelong resident of Mt. Zion and a 2022 graduate of Mt. Zion High School.
Anna was a cheerleader, soccer, and track star. She was an honors student, on homecoming court every year, and truly loved her school!
She had an infectious and charismatic spirit and was preparing to chase her dreams of becoming a nurse.
Anna was excited to further her education at the University of West Georgia this fall.
She truly lived every day of her life to the fullest.

https://www.martin-hightower.com/obituaries/Anna-Lynn-Jones?obId=25489683#/obituaryInfo

Would you know if lecturers are usually long term, or does the title usually imply, say, shorter duration contracts?

RickshawFan put it best below. :)

Lecturers usually have shorter duration contracts. In business schools, you tend to find more lecturers than professors, as it can be a challenge to lure business school graduates into PhD programs and then to become full-fledged tenured professors when they face the allure of much higher private industry salaries. All MOO.

"Lecturer" is often very part-time and a side gig for a regular job, especially in a business department. Lecturer can mean just one class in a specialty field or because too many students signed up for a basic course, so they quickly added another section. I wonder where/how/when RS did actual "business"?

Sometimes, "lecturer" is simply the long-term lowest-on-the-totem pole job in a department that is otherwise tenure-based. This would be at a four-year university/college. I'm think, though, this would be rare in a business department, or fields that depend on experience in e.g. a corporation, solo-business, etc..

Community colleges have instructors. They are almost all non-tenured. Actually, I don't know if I've ever come across a tenured person at a community college. Community colleges are open to instructors who don't have Ph.D's.

Carroll County Sheriff Office
Current Inmates
http://www.interopweb.com/Carroll/

Current Inmates
Filter By Inmate Name (Optional)
Last Name: Sigman
First Name: Richard

Name: Sigman, Richard Edward
Sex: M
Height: 505
Weight: 200

Arrest Date: 07/30/2022 -- CARROLLTON PD
Days In Jail: 3
Total Bond: DENIED

{TABLE OF CHARGES}
Warrant# | Counts | Statute | Description | M/F | Court
299837 1 16-5-1 MURDER F SUPERIOR COURT {Anna Lynn Jones}
299841 1 16-5-21 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 1}
299842 1 16-5-21 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 2}
299843 1 16-5-21 AGGRAVATED ASSAULT F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 3}
299838 1 16-11-106 POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURING COMMISSION OF OR ATTEMPT TO COMMIT CERTAIN FELONIES F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 1}
299839 1 16-11-106 POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURING COMMISSION OF OR ATTEMPT TO COMMIT CERTAIN FELONIES F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 2}
299840 1 16-11-106 POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURING COMMISSION OF OR ATTEMPT TO COMMIT CERTAIN FELONIES F SUPERIOR COURT {companion 3}

Did I mention that in certain academic departments not a whole lot of credentials are required to teach at university level?
RS is basically a realtor and he's sold insurance in the past. He also calls himself a "consultant" to UWG.
Look at the wording for his job at Torque: whole next level of resume inflation. o_O

My niece attends this college and frequents the downtown area nightly. It's a small little town square with a handful of bars.
I am thinking that the perpetrator, in his drunken state, believed that he was shooting at a car associated with the man whom he got into an argument with.

The small size of the area and it being a town square (limited parking) may have led him to presume his target had parked at the parking garage.

He then rushed to the garage to intercept him, then mistook the car the victim was in for the other man's car?

Last edited:
He seemed to be a ticking bomb.

Who, in their right mind, shoots at cars/people b/c of an argument?

In former times, they whould throw some punches till the "first blood".
And return home satisfied.

MOO
I have a feeling he's been a ticking time bomb for years. The photo in the Daily Mail article showing him much younger playing with an assault rifle...combine that with alcohol. It sounds like "extreme alcohol": maybe alcoholism that's developed over a long time.

It kinda ticks me off that university students are subjected to instructors like this. They deserve so much better, both in terms of academic credentials and personal compass.

Patients at a Carrollton clinic are outraged an accused killer was walked into a packed waiting room unrestrained this week.

Paige Wessinger couldn’t believe her eyes while waiting to see her doctor on Wednesday. She was with her 2-year-old granddaughter when a Carroll County Sheriff’s deputy walked in with Richard Sigman, a former University of West Georgia lecturer charged with the murder of 18-year-old Anna Jones. Wessinger said Sigman was not in handcuffs.

So he was able to walk into a doctor's office without handcuffs, but has to show up in court in a wheelchair. Hmmm. Police say they have no idea why he shot into the car where Anna Jones was sitting.

article: Sigman indicted on murder charges
by: Kennae Hunter, The Times-Georgian
published: 2022-09-02T16:00:00-05:00

... Richard Sigman, 47, of Carrollton, was originally supposed to appear in a Carroll County Magistrate Court for a preliminary hearing Sept. 2, but since has been indicted by a grand jury and that appearance has been canceled and he has a new court date set. ...

links:

https://www.douglascountysentinel.com/news/local/sigman-indicted-on-murder-charges/article_d96d234d-fdbb-5934-a589-a868b28ca195.html

https://archive.ph/pn2X3

Richard Sigman was scheduled to be in court yesterday, for a "MOT FOR BOND" hearing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SUPERIOR COURT OF CARROLL COUNTY
CRIMINAL NON-JURY CALENDAR
September 13, 2022 09:00AM
DUSTIN W. HIGHTOWER

CASE NUMBER: 52) 2022 SUCR00S4S
CASE NAME: STATE OF GEORGIA vs. RICHARD SIGMAN
ATTORNEY(S):
C. JEPHSON BENDINGER
JOHN HERBERT CRANFORD
J. BURNS

COUNT OFFENSE(S)
CT.1 : MALICE MURDER
CT.2 : FELONY MURDER
CT.3 : AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
CT.4 : POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURIN
COMMISSION OF OR ATTEMPT TO COMMIT
CERTAIN FELONIES
CT.5 : AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
CT.6 : POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURIN
CERTAIN FELONIES
CT.7 : AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
CT.8 : POSSESSION OF FIREARM OR KNIFE DURIN
CERTAIN FELONIES

Comments: MOT FOR BOND
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wonder if that happened.

source:
https://www.carrollcountyclerk.com/9-13-22 hightower cr nj.pdf

According to the docket he's set to be arraigned on January 30, 2023 9:30 am ET

The latest entry is about an exchange of documents. discovery - court sending case file to Sigman's attorneys

I'll have to check, the other entries but he might have been bonded out of jail.

Here's the link to log into the county clerk's site to search for his docket

ETA: I'd like to look into this further to see if he's on bail, but things are too busy here at home today. JMO, it looks like he may be out on bond, not sure. Also not sure why there's been more than 1 arraignment scheduled.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back