GUILTY GA - Antonio Santiago, 13 mos, Brunswick, 21 March 2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Santiago (dad) came and went. At one point he scooped up an armload of his son's stuffed animals, saying he wanted to take them home with him.
http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/mar/22/police-search-boy-suspects-ga-baby-killing/

"I'm always going to wonder what his first word would be," West said.
http://www.webmd.com/parenting/guide/baby-talk-your-babys-first-words
How old was Antonio? Thirteen or fourteen months?

He was 13 months old. Think I remember the dad mentioning a Feb. 5 birthday in one of the articles as well. And yes, that's a bit late for a "first word." Unless the baby was developmentally delayed. (Former children's educator, here.)

Listen to the audio, obviously it is after the arrest.

Not only was a baby shot in the face and killed but THEIR COMMUNITY AND TWO CHILDREN (THE PERPS) ARE IN MOURNING! It has been a rough time for them and their community.

Apparently the two suspects are in mourning, no doubt due to the fact they were arrested.

He said they prayed the night before the arrests FOR the people involved to be arrested .. listen again, everyone on the video is sad over the entire situation.

Oh, my... right between the eyes. It would be difficult to hit that mark as that area is so small in a baby. It's so lucky that the shooter somehow only shot mom in the leg and bruised her ear.

Agreed--with 4 shots fired at her (treated and released for just 2 non-life threatening wounds), and only 1 at the baby between the eyes, it would appear that the intent was definitely murder for that baby.

Agreed--with 4 shots fired at her (treated and released for just 2 non-life threatening wounds), and only 1 at the baby between the eyes, it would appear that the intent was definitely murder for that baby.

Could it be because Mom was fighting back and moving around, but the poor baby was strapped down and therefore an easier target?

He was 13 months old. Think I remember the dad mentioning a Feb. 5 birthday in one of the articles as well. And yes, that's a bit late for a "first word." Unless the baby was developmentally delayed. (Former children's educator, here.)

I thought nothing of Antonio not being verbal yet.

My own son, now about to be 9 and who never suffered any other developmental delays, did not speak aside from his own made up words until the age of 3. He could follow complex direction and suffered from no other developmental delays. He simply chose not to speak. Once he opted to, he spoke in full sentences with a lisp on certain sounds due to never having practiced the words he was finally speaking. He went through some speech therapy during preschool and kindergarten and that was it. He is an A student top of his class, loves school, etc. and now you cannot get the kid to stop talking, lol.

Point being, I agree, it is not within the range of what is standard for Antonio not to have been starting to speak, but not off the charts unusual either.

I don't think the mom's comment about not knowing what her baby's first words would be should be taken literally. Give her credit for being in shock. I have been in her shoes, not with the same circumstances but I also lost a child and I am understanding her without a problem. I never understood why my mother acted the way she did after losing a daughter and I never understood why my sister acted the way she did when she lost her 15 year old son. It was when I lost my 22 year old son that I understood completely and was floored that I had not been as compassionate as I should have been with my mother and sister.

Could it be because Mom was fighting back and moving around, but the poor baby was strapped down and therefore an easier target?

Interpretation is up for grabs, but personally I don't interpret it that way. The mom was close enough they could've shot her at point blank range, too, if they'd wanted to kill her (I believe). Even the mom said that their first shot was an intimidation shot (fired into the ground). I see the progression as intimidation shots to mom, building in intensity--but definitely a murder shot for the baby. That sort of shot in the face between the eyes is known as an execution-style of hit ('a tap'), used by folks who mean business.

When used on older victims, perps will often do a double-tap to make sure (twice in rapid succession to head and/or torso). It originated in military tactics, when the army would sweep in and check for the dead amongst the wounded. If they saw someone hit once (in the head or chest), they'd shoot a second time to ensure death. Now it usually means two shots in rapid succession to ensure death.

Interpretation is up for grabs, but personally I don't interpret it that way. The mom was close enough they could've shot her at point blank range, too, if they'd wanted to kill her (I believe). Even the mom said that their first shot was an intimidation shot (fired into the ground). I see the progression as intimidation shots to mom, building in intensity--but definitely a murder shot for the baby. That sort of shot in the face between the eyes is known as an execution-style or hit ('a tap'), used by folks who mean business.

When used on older victims, perps will often do a double-tap to make sure (twice in rapid succession to head and/or torso). It originated in military tactics, when the army would sweep in and check for the dead amongst the wounded. If they saw someone hit once (in the head or chest), they'd shoot a second time to ensure death.
The term "tap' was briefly discussed on the thread about Travis Alexander too. Thanks for explaining it.

I thought nothing of Antonio not being verbal yet.

My own son, now about to be 9 and who never suffered any other developmental delays, did not speak aside from his own made up words until the age of 3. He could follow complex direction and suffered from no other developmental delays. He simply chose not to speak. Once he opted to, he spoke in full sentences with a lisp on certain sounds due to never having practiced the words he was finally speaking. He went through some speech therapy during preschool and kindergarten and that was it. He is an A student top of his class, loves school, etc. and now you cannot get the kid to stop talking, lol.

Point being, I agree, it is not within the range of what is standard for Antonio not to have been starting to speak, but not off the charts unusual either.
I think it is unusual because mom also described her baby as "independent" and loud. He was a vocal child.
http://www.news4jax.com/Brunswick-m...ddler/-/475982/19439744/-/wh3kmx/-/index.html

Listen to the audio, obviously it is after the arrest.

Not only was a baby shot in the face and killed but THEIR COMMUNITY AND TWO CHILDREN (THE PERPS) ARE IN MOURNING! It has been a rough time for them and their community.

Apparently the two suspects are in mourning, no doubt due to the fact they were arrested.

I did listen to the audio, more than once. I don't hear what you're hearing, that's why I asked for the time in the video when it was said so I could go to the point where you heard this and listen again. I want to go to the point where you hear someone say they are praying for witnesses to exonerate the witness. Would you be so kind as to direct me to the time in the video, please?

I think it is unusual because mom also described her baby as "independent" and loud. He was a vocal child.
http://www.news4jax.com/Brunswick-m...ddler/-/475982/19439744/-/wh3kmx/-/index.html

Excellent point. I specialized in Gifted kids' education, and I am aware of interesting stories about really smart kids who didn't talk until preschool age or later--but then suddenly spoke in complete sentences or even paragraphs. Those kinds of kids are definitely atypical, and tend to be the quiet-but-brainy types who enjoy taking their time processing before interacting much with their world. ;-)

From all descriptions I've read (including the mom's here), it seems this baby boy was definitely the more typical little boy--alert, responsive, and somewhat loud. I remain surprised that she would lament during interviews about never hearing his first word (wonder if the dad would concur?). Shock might jumble thoughts and memory substantially, but I have a harder time understanding how it could erase all memory you've ever had of your only child's talking and jabbering the previous 6 months...to the point where you'd lament never hearing 'that first word.' JMO.

Oh, I just want to hug him... *sigh*

Most sources I've looked at put the first word, on average, at about 12 months. (Note: This refers to using a word with intent, I suspect and not just managing to string together the right babbling sounds.) So 13 months is not a concerning age to not have spoken. If Antonio was independent as his mom said, he may not have needed to speak, because he may have just toddled over and got what he wanted.

http://suite101.com/article/average-age-of-a-babys-first-word-a133677
http://www.babycenter.com/0_developmental-milestone-talking_6573.bc
http://www.cnn.com/2007/HEALTH/parenting/06/07/par.baby.milestones/

Sister and the alleged shooter on firstcoastnews.com " dat wouldn't my brother my brother was with me, blah blah blah.

But an aunt was on there, she had taken him somewhere and was suspicious of the way he was acting. Even asking if he had anything to do with shooting that baby. He denied it. She called LE and now has gotten death threats.

Read this story last night and had trouble sleeping. I can not get Antonio's sweet face out of my head. I can not fathom how a human being could harm even a hair on a precious little baby! I can't make sense of this - all I come up with is that the who did this must be an empty shell of a human who has absolutely no regard, respect, or compassion for human life what so ever - be it a precious baby or an older adult. I hope the rest of his days are a living hell and that he painfully rots throughout the rest of eternity.
RIP Antonio Santiago - Sweet Baby Boy, Angel in Heaven.

b b m
I absolutely agree.

A couple of thoughts I've had about this horrifying case:

--it wouldn't take too much marksmanship to hold a pistol a few feet away from a baby and shoot it in the face.
--I do not have any confirmation of this theory, but I imagine at such a close range a bullet could have gone through the baby and into the mother's leg.

I realize those are terrible thoughts, but for the above reasons I am not getting a 'hinky' vibe from either the statement that the baby was shot between the eyes or that the mother was shot in the leg. I will wait for LE to give out more info, but in the meantime I am thinking that even a hardened might be a little rattled after shooting a baby in the face and subsequent shot(s) might go a little wild. IMO, MOO, etc.

I'm just glad there HAVE been arrests.

Just dropped in to check on the case and I see that there are the accused and his aunt has conflicting stories. Story #1 the accused states that he was at school studing for his GED at the time of the murder and Story #2 his aunt is stating that he was 100% with her at the time of the murder. This is a problem right from the get go.

There is another aunt who drove him somewhere about 2 hours after this happen. Said he was acting strange, hovered down in seat, she ask him if he even had anything to do with killing the baby. She said he got out of car and she seen something in his pants, she knew was a gun.

She called LE, and now is getting death threats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member