Christopher Clements indicted for Isabel Celis & Maribel Gonzales homicides
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Identified! GA - Banks Co., Male skeletal remains near creek, Feb'14 - Terry Holbrooks

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by Backwoods, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

I've never been certain whether it is appropriate to post in this thread about a recently-found UID that is not showing up in public databases yet (guidance will be appreciated), though I have done it a few times.

This one, I felt might be good to post, since apparently some items that could possibly ring a bell with someone were found near the skeletal remains. (Picture of watch and engraved lighter at first link.)

http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=272070

http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2014-03-06/skeletal-remains-found-banks-county-belong-man

2. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

That watch makes me think Mid to late 90s

3. Tssiemer

Tssiemer Well-Known Member

4. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

It's hard to tell but it looks like a Zippo lighter.

5. tatertot

tatertot Member

6. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

At the link, I noticed, it even notes that his nickname is "Marty", as on the lighter. (I also note that there is no DNA sample for Martin Chance, unfortunately.) Michigan is far from Georgia -- but who knows?

Yes, this man is an interesting possibility, too.

From the newer article I'm linking below, it really does sound as if investigators truly want the public's help, even at this early stage -- sounds as if they really do not feel they have much to go on. Maybe you two should pass along the possibilities you found.

more at: http://www.921wlhr.com/gbi-asks-for-help-in-identifying-remains-found-in-banks-crossing/

It does sound from the article as if they are starting the process of trying to obtain DNA from the remains.

7. hayaletcatcher

hayaletcatcher Active Member

8. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I notice it says DNA is now available, too. So maybe we can find him.

Did anybody ever submit Martin Chance or Brian Martin?

9. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

Could be a little earlier, even. It looks like one of the first-generation digital watches. My father had one like it.

10. klyeoman1203

klyeoman1203 New Member

Keep in mind, that while most people have something that is a personal item to them, engraved items may not always be the identity to the owner, but perhaps something that was personal to a significant person in their lives, i.e; a brother, a father, a lover, a friend, or even something simply found by the victims at some point in their life that they just inevitably keep........Terry L. Holbrooks' story certainly shows this, as the lighter that was found with his remains, certainly show his name was NOT "Marty", as the engraved lighter showed. I myself carry my mother's necklace with her name and my father-in-law's badge with his...neither are my name.......

SKELETAL REMAINS WERE INDEED IDENTIFIED:

HOMER - Authorities now know the identity of the skeletal remains found behind a hotel at Banks Crossing in early 2014.
    Sgt. Carissa McFaddin of the Banks County Sheriff's Office provided that information Tuesday.
    McFaddin said the remains were positively identified as Terry Lee Holbrooks of Fairplay/Westminster, S.C.
    The death remains under investigation by the GBI and Banks County Sheriff's Office.
    The body was located in a wooded area near a creek behind the then-Dandelion Inn on Feb. 24, 2014
    Hotel guests panning for gold in the creek behind the business located a human bone, triggering a two-day exhaustive search of the creek and surrounding area.
    More remains and other items, including a man's digital watch and a cigarette lighter engraved with "Marty".
    Preliminary information from GBI after the discovery indicated the death could have occurred as long ago as 2006.

Anyone with information about Holbrooks' death is asked to contact the Banks County Sheriff's Office at (706) 677-2248, or the GBI Tip Line at (800) 597-8477.

STORY WAS PUBLISHED JULY, 2015:
    http://accesswdun.com/article/2015/...ns-found-at-banks-crossing-in-2014-identified

11. SurfieTX

SurfieTX New Member

Deleted. I thought it was him, but it's not.

12. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

WELCOME!
    Great first post!

Thanks for finding and posting this article that the remains have been positively identified. Apparently, he would have been missing as far back as 2006.

As you pointed out, sometimes articles found with remains do not necessarily help with the identification but hopefully they may be used to solve a crime.

13. hayaletcatcher

hayaletcatcher Active Member

The Anderson County Arrests log has some one listed with the same name, living in Westminster, S.C as being arrested Jan 23th 2007. I wonder if it's him, if so he couldn't have been missing since 2006? There is a few Terry Holbrooks in that area but he is the only one with the L middle name.