GUILTY GA - Bryan Mough, 21, shot to death, Bogart, 25 Feb 2008

my grandmother was in a car wreck and they did not stop. it was just a little fender bender but a teen was driving and panicked. she took off and granny tried to follow. the teen drove too fast so granny gave up. luckily a witness got the plate number. i am glad granny was unable to keep up knowing she could have been killed by some freak that decided following his kid was worthy of the DP.

I think shooting the guy was a bit harsh. But at the same time, he could very well have just saved his daughters from being abducted, raped, kidnapped, who knows. It's not the course of action that I would have taken, but I can't really say that I blame him.

Sounds like a case of road rage. I believe the girls probably overreacted and called their dad yet what is really creepy is the guy FOLLOWED these 2 girls home and circled back around and drove by the house again.

Who follows 2 young women home??

If there was an accident then he could have (and should have) called the police. There is NO good reason for this guy to follow these girls home.

I'm in agreement. Maybe the crime didn't fit the punishment, but it sounds like the father protected his daughters from possible crimes this guy was going to commit. That is very creepy that he followed them home after a road rage incident. Maybe he was looking for a way to get them to pull over. Young women can't be too cautious these days.

I myself think the girls weren't driving safely, and caused a collision with a motocycle driver, then paniced when he began to follow them and called Daddy to lie about what happened. The attitude that motorcycles (and bicycles) don't belong on the road (or that car drivers have more rights and should be catered to) as evidenced by *VERY* unsafe driving isn't unheard of. I'm picturing something like this fellow describes, (I DO NOT CONDONE HIS IDEA OF WHAT HE WANTS TO DO NEXT EITHER, EVEN IF IT WAS ALL TALK. Let me also say, the SDMB Moderators also do not condone his ideas, and he got a formal warning. I think he later apologized and admitted it was anger and bitterness and blowing off steam.) but I'd wager the 21 year old wasn't a biker long enough to become that bitter and revengeful minded. Probably he was just trying to get enough info to report them. Bold purple editings by me.

SDMB member ExTank said:
Seeing that traffic's backed up a tad at my turn, I roll off the throttle, put on my left turn signal, and ease on into the left-turn lane, downshifting with the braking for a nice, easy stop at a usually long light.

When out of the blue, a <bad name> in a shiny red Cavalier swoops in from my right and JAMS on her brakes right in front of me.

As slow as I was going, I still had to lock the wheels and turn the bike sideways, certain I was going down underneath her rear bumper. By the good graces of a particularly benevolent Og, I stop just shy of hitting her. The guy in the car in the left lane (to my right) jammed on his brakes to give me room to swerve if I had to.

I'm sure he earned a few Good Karma Points for that, and he's my Big D*ned Hero today.

I muscle the bike upright, and heel-and-toe it around until I'm just off her rear panel, staring daggers into her driver's sideview mirror. She pretends she doesn't see me.
<snip>
I continue to stare hot molten hatred at her sideview mirror, until she finally takes a quick peek in her mirror at me, and just as quickly goes back to staring straight ahead. No acknowledgement of me as a human being even flickers across her mascaraed cow-eyes.

Well, the light turns green, and I follow her through the left turn, and to my incredible joy and surprise, she turns into the Maryland Heights Police Department's parking lot. As she pulls in, I park behind her. She's going over me and my bike to get out, now, if she wants to.

She exits the car, and I ask her if she thought it was cool to cut me off and almost run me off my bike. She plays dumb, saying she didn't know where I was going to turn. I emphasize the "dumb," because there wasn't anywhere else for me to turn than the light I was decelerating at a normal pace to turn left at. We take it inside to the Duty Sergeant, Maryland Heights' Finest, Sgt. Link.

I tell my side, she tells hers. She lies through her teeth, saying I got in the left-turn lane a quarter-mile before the intersection. I call her a liar, because if I'd done that, I'd have ran head-first into oncoming traffic's left-turn lane. I hammer at her until she just blurts out, "You were, like, going really slow, so I, like, passed you and got in front of you."

http://tinyurl.com/2fhke3

Here is a cached version of his myspace, but I couldn't read his blogs or anything, seems like he was having girl problems....wonder who the girl was.....

I wonder if he didn't know one of these girls beforehand......

Kel

I don't think he dated one of those girls. An ex girlfriend was interviewed and said he hoped to transfer from the Target he was currently working at, to the one in Athens, and he'd had an interview there just before he was shot in the back.

http://wsbradio.com/news/022708carmurder.html

Road Rage Leads to Murder
(WSB Radio) Authorities in Oconee County have charged a Bogart man with killing a Barrow County man who had been involved in an automobile accident with the suspect's teenage daughters.
45-year-old Richard Harold Gear is accused of shooting 21-year-old Bryan Joseph Mough after his daughters, ages 17 and 19, called him on their cellphone to say the Winder man was following them from the scene of the mishap between their car and his motorcycle.
Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry tells WSB's Jennifer Griffies the suspect was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol when the victim drove by. After he turned around and passed the house a second time, Gear fired three shots from a pistol, striking Mough once in the back.
Mough was pronounced dead a short time later at Athens Regional Medical Center.
Murder charges were filed against Gear, even though he claimed the shooting was self defense. Berry says Gear was arrested after investigators determined Mough was shot in the back and never set foot on the suspect's property.
Gear is being held without bond in the Oconee County jail in Watkinsville. The last murder in Oconee County occurred in 2002. 26 February 2008

You can also listen to the police scanner feed online from the time that the incident occured, says so far he was shot lower left quadrant, just below bottom rib....no pulse when police arrived....that is as far as I have gotten....still listening to it....

This was waiting to happen. people like dad don't need guns.

Myspace belongining to Liz, Brian's sister--she wrote about his death.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=82972465

I spent some time at the cached myspace dimples37398 found and his friends seem like nice young people. I visited some of their sites and they appear pretty clean cut. His mother made a post to him which was very nice.

From another site dimples posted a link to, Brian indicates that he doesn't smoke or drink.

I have a feeling that Brian was just trying to find out where the girls lived for insurance purposes and nothing else. I think the father has problems and is probably a bully. JMO

Liz isn't his sister, just a good friend. She refers to the Mough residence as "my home away from home" here. :confused:

Thanks Kat--I read a post Liz made in Brian's cached myspace that lead me to believe he was her brother, but after reading at her site again I agree with you that they were just friends.

I think shooting the guy was a bit harsh. But at the same time, he could very well have just saved his daughters from being abducted, raped, kidnapped, who knows. It's not the course of action that I would have taken, but I can't really say that I blame him.

A bit harsh? A young man is DEAD!!!!

A couple of things to keep in mind: there is evidence of contact between the car and the motorcycle and police aren't sure who hit who. Could it be that the GIRLS hit the bike and he followed them home to get their address?

When an unarmed twenty-one year old motorcycle driver passes in front of your house twice, shooting him IN THE BACK is NOT SELF DEFENSE. You feel threatened? Call the cops. Stand out there and let the guy know your girls have a big daddy who will mess with you if you mess with his girls. But to SHOOT him? IN THE BACK?

I can blame him. I surely can.

I'm in agreement. Maybe the crime didn't fit the punishment, but it sounds like the father protected his daughters from possible crimes this guy was going to commit. That is very creepy that he followed them home after a road rage incident. Maybe he was looking for a way to get them to pull over. Young women can't be too cautious these days.

The problem is you can't go shooting people for crimes you think he may commit. The world and the law doesn't work that way.

Sounds like a case of road rage. I believe the girls probably overreacted and called their dad yet what is really creepy is the guy FOLLOWED these 2 girls home and circled back around and drove by the house again.

Who follows 2 young women home??

If there was an accident then he could have (and should have) called the police. There is NO good reason for this guy to follow these girls home.

Thank you pixies, ITA. People are jumping down my throat cause I said I don't blame the guy. Do I agree the dad shot him? NO, but I think he did what "he thought" he had to do to save his girls. And right or wrong, if someone followed me home like that, and turned around to drive by again, either myself or my fiance would probably have a gun in his face too.

Thank you pixies, ITA. People are jumping down my throat cause I said I don't blame the guy. Do I agree the dad shot him? NO, but I think he did what "he thought" he had to do to save his girls. And right or wrong, if someone followed me home like that, and turned around to drive by again, either myself or my fiance would probably have a gun in his face too.

I am sorry if it seemed I was jumping down your throat....I get a little excited but it's never anything personal.

HOWEVER (you were expecting 'but', right?? lol), we can not go around toting guns and getting all trigger happy with someone when we don't know the first thing about them. I don't know why we are pointing guns at someone who has yet to do or say anything wrong. Jesus, is this what we want our kids to see while they are playing in the front yard?? How do you explain that?? "Well, honey, he did drive by twice, he had it coming."

I am sorry if it seemed I was jumping down your throat....I get a little excited but it's never anything personal.

HOWEVER (you were expecting 'but', right?? lol), we can not go around toting guns and getting all trigger happy with someone when we don't know the first thing about them. I don't know why we are pointing guns at someone who has yet to do or say anything wrong. Jesus, is this what we want our kids to see while they are playing in the front yard?? How do you explain that?? "Well, honey, he did drive by twice, he had it coming."

Right!! The guy drove by... Big deal. He didn't drive into the driveway or threaten anyone. Annoying or not, it's a public road and he had the right to drive up and down as many times as he wanted. If dad and daughters were so worried, they should have goen into their house (far from the "suspect") and called LE.

http://wsbradio.com/news/022708carmurder.html

Road Rage Leads to Murder
(WSB Radio) Authorities in Oconee County have charged a Bogart man with killing a Barrow County man who had been involved in an automobile accident with the suspect's teenage daughters.
45-year-old Richard Harold Gear is accused of shooting 21-year-old Bryan Joseph Mough after his daughters, ages 17 and 19, called him on their cellphone to say the Winder man was following them from the scene of the mishap between their car and his motorcycle.
Oconee County Sheriff Scott Berry tells WSB's Jennifer Griffies the suspect was waiting at the end of his driveway with a pistol when the victim drove by. After he turned around and passed the house a second time, Gear fired three shots from a pistol, striking Mough once in the back.
Mough was pronounced dead a short time later at Athens Regional Medical Center.
Murder charges were filed against Gear, even though he claimed the shooting was self defense. Berry says Gear was arrested after investigators determined Mough was shot in the back and never set foot on the suspect's property.
Gear is being held without bond in the Oconee County jail in Watkinsville. The last murder in Oconee County occurred in 2002. 26 February 2008

I just moved from Winder to the next town over. I still live close to both Winder and Bogart but don't know either the victim or the dad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back