GA GA - Charles 'Chuckie' Mauk, 13, Warner Robins, 17 Feb 1986

Anubis

I agree with you. Back then the detectives in WR rarely had homicides to investigate and considering that the call first came in as a hit and run, I think they did sloppy work not finding the bullet. They were not prepared for a homicide.

One thing that I do know is that they did have a Person of Interest or a couple of people. I am like you, I think they need a fresh set of eyes. This case is not unsolvable!

Kim

fradywitness.jpg

This is a composite sketch done in the Levi Frady case. Does anyone see any similarities between the composite sketch done on Chuck Mauk?

Kim

The nose and jawline are similar. The first artist is very talented and the portrait is very lifelike. I am not familiar with the Levi Frady case.

The problem with solving this case is the fact that the bullet was lost. It entered from the back and exited through the front and was never found. I find it hard to believe that they could not find that bullet. It makes me think that they didn't even look.

It's not always as easy as it looks on CSI where seemingly every crime scene involving a shooting takes place near a wall that gently cradles bullets that magically always remain in one piece. :)

Finding a bullet in a parking lot is probably next to impossible: no walls, concrete or asphalt covering the ground and (very likely) a projectile shattered in small fragments of no use to ballistics.

In this particular case I wonder if there is the possibility that the boy got struck by accident by a stray bullet or ricochet from a projectile that was destined for someone else? They say the parking lot was a hangout for local kids/teens, often this sort of place is "turfed" by youth gangs dealing in dope, maybe a shot was fired that evening during an altercation that had nothing to do with the victim. Typically in such cases witnesses will not come forward. I remember a case from, I think, NYC where a young girl was struck and killed by a small caliber bullet while driving on a parkway. Took a very long time to find out she had been hit by a bullet fired by some idiot on a boat trying to hit a buoy or something using a .22LR rifle or similar high-velocity weapon. The bullet had ricocheted on the water and veered towards the roadway, entering the girl's head behind her ear.

For some reason I don't believe that is the case. If it was, why has this person of interest never came forward to say that it was him talking to Chuck when he was hit with a bullet? Why did he speed away and not try to get him some help? Also, a shooting in WR was very unlikely back then. We didn't have gangs or drugs being sold by teenagers. It was a wonderful place when this horrible incident happened. It was so out of the ordinary. The worst thing that teenagers were doing in that time in WR was smoking behind buildings. And boy if you got caught, man would you be in trouble!

I tend to agree with Kim. It just seems to me that an overwhelmed police department, incorrectly told it was a hit and run, did not do proper site exam. I'm not faulting them by any means, just stating something that seems plausible.

That's one heckuva composite sketch.

I've seen quite a few in my day but none have oozed the "roguish look" that this sketch has...puzzling. Quite puzzling.

It's also a bit on the detailed side if you ask me.

I have to agree OilPainter. I am wondering how someone can give that good of a composite sketch but doesn't know anything about the case or didn't see anything! ????????? I feel like someone knows something but will not come forward.

I have to agree OilPainter. I am wondering how someone can give that good of a composite sketch but doesn't know anything about the case or didn't see anything! ????????? I feel like someone knows something but will not come forward.

Absolutely. In all seriousness I'm not sure I could give that detailed of a description of my relatives. I also think he looks a lot like George Clooney from the early ER days.

Isn't that what LE dreads most? The witness who can recall everything in exact detail? Something's way off.

This case is featured on the home page of CNN today.

I hate to be so accusing, but whenever I hear a dead child of such a random killing had a step-father, I always become suspicious especially at that age. The kids was a teen, maybe step-dad was tired of him? Was he questioned at all? Could the step-dad arrange such a terrible crime?

Warner Robins is the town I live in now. Every anniversiry of Chuckie's murder, the paper runs a story. Last time, they gave the account of a witness, a woman who refuses to give her name for fear of retribution. The witness was driving by when she saw Chuckie talking to the suspect. While looking through her rearview window, she saw Chuckie drop to the ground.

Warner Robins is the town I live in now. Every anniversiry of Chuckie's murder, the paper runs a story. Last time, they gave the account of a witness, a woman who refuses to give her name for fear of retribution. The witness was driving by when she saw Chuckie talking to the suspect. While looking through her rearview window, she saw Chuckie drop to the ground.

She sees the victim "drop" and then does what?

Please tell me that as soon as that happened she drove to the nearest police station...

As I recall, the witness thought Chuckie had fallen off his bike. It wasn't until later when she realized what she had seen. I also read she and the suspect looked each other in the eye as they drove past one another. I'll go dig up the article to be sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back