Identified! GA - Chatham Co., Bones found in Thunderbolt, May'05 - Likely from 70s or before

Discussion in 'Identified!' started by A.Wood, May 27, 2005.

1. A.Wood

A.Wood New Member

2. Loading...

3. Donjeta

Donjeta Adji Desir, missing from Florida

From the link in the OP (, mind you, there are bones photos in the articles if you'd rather avoid them) :

Then:

http://savannahnow.com/stories/060605/3082453.shtml
    http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2005/06/08/met_455409.shtml
    http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=144784

4. Reannan

Reannan Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude

For what it is worth, I was in Savannah a few months ago because I had to give a lecture, and the group I was with took a "ghost tour" in several hearses that had been modified so that about 12 people could sit on top of the hearse and ride through the city to the "haunted" places. It was a gorgeous warm southern night with a full moon, and perfect for a ghost tour! One thing that stood out, however, was the narrative of the tour guide. Everywhere we went, there was a story about "bodies buried under the grounds". He kept insisting that Savannah was "virtually a city built on top of a mass grave". The Yellow Fever epidemic was a large contributing factor to his story. The creepy old, abandoned Candler Hospital was my favorite spot. It was truly creepy!! The oldest hospital in Georgia, it was used during the Yellow Fever epidemic and bodies were transported and temporarily housed in a tunnel that runs from underneath the Candler Hospital out towards Forsyth Park - also supposed to be haunted. I think we should host a WebSleuth's convention in Savannah! It is a beautiful city, and one of my favorite places to visit.

Big Shout Out to Donjeta!!! You are doing a great job of helping clean up some of these old cases!!! Thank you!!!

5. redkatrampant

redkatrampant New Member

I know this OT, but I was born and bred in that Briar patch. My hubby was born at that hospital ( it was still operating in the 70's) I would volunteer to give a better tour than you could pay for!

6. Reannan

Reannan Seek Brotherhood, Cherish Solitude

Off TOPIC Alert!!! Redkatrampant - I would LOVE to take a tour that you guided!!! And then we can go to The Pirates House for dinner!!!

NOT OFF TOPIC - are you surprised by these bones being classified as a Yellow Fever victim?? What is your take on the situation in terms of Savannah being built over a lot of graves?

7. redkatrampant

redkatrampant New Member

I am not at all. It really was. In fact the house I grew up on on one of the islands was actually built on the site of a Civil War camp.When my parents put a pool in, remains were found.That was an ordeal. Even the islands have tons of unmarked graves.
    I do know that in the tunnels as recently as the 80's, there were remains discovered. It is not uncommon for remains to be found when the City is doing some underground repair work OR someone is doing some renovation. It is very hard to get a permit for NEW construction in the Historic District unless that lot is vacant or the building is condemned. I would not be shocked at the remains that are still under buildings.