CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Diane McIver, 63, Fatally Shot, Atlanta, 25 Sept 2016 *husband arrested* #2

Philip A. Holloway@PhilHollowayEsq
3h3 hours ago
Philip A. Holloway Retweeted adeweyrobinson
It’s the same in Ga too. #TexMcIver was convicted of felony murder based on the underlying conviction for aggravated assault

---adeweyrobinson@adeweyrobinson
@PhilHollowayEsq how is aggravated assault even an option when the alleged victim dies? If the defendant intends to assault someone and that person dies, it becomes murder in every other state.

Law & Crime Network@LawCrimeNetwork
3h3 hours ago
#TexMcIver - Sentencing has been set for May 23.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neighbor of Tex McIver shocked by guilty plea: 'I don't think he murdered her'

[video=youtube;RfkcfSjtgOI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfkcfSjtgOI[/video]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There quite a few trials starting in May.

Tuesday, May 15th:
*Trial Set to begin - ND - Savanna Marie LaFontaine-Greywind (22) (April 20, 2017) - William Henry Hoehn (32) charged with Conspiracy to commit murder (Class AA Felony), conspiracy to commit kidnapping (Class A Felony) & giving false info to LE (Class A Misdom); pled not guilty on $2 million cash bond. Trial postponed from March 20th to today. Expected to go 2 weeks (5/15-25).
(Brooke Lynn Crews (38) also charged with the same, 12/11 pled guilty to all charges, sentenced on Feb. 2nd to life without parole.

Monday, May 21st:
*Trial set to begin - TN - Child (5 mo. old baby boy) - John David Caine (26) & Deanna Lynn Greer (37) indicted (on 11/30/17) on charges of criminal attempt to commit aggravated child abuse, aggravated child neglect & illegal payments in connection w/placement of a child. Tried selling child on Craigslist for $3K. Both held on $175K bond.
New Hanover County (No. Carolina) authorities indicated they will extradite Cain once his Tennessee case is resolved.

*Trial set to begin (@ 8am CT) - IN - Aleah Beckerle (19) disabled (July 16, 2016) - Terrence Wayne Roach indicted for felony murder, burglary w/bodily harm, criminal confinement, abuse of corpse & kidnapping from home & taken to abandoned home; no bond. On 12/14/17: Trial delayed per Defense motion.
1/9/18 Update: the trial was rescheduled to May 21 in Vanderburgh County Superior Court.

*Trial set to begin (@ 8am CT) - TX - Addyson Overgard-Eddy (2) & Brynn Hawkins (1) (June 9, 2017) (left in car overnight) - for Amanda Kristene Hawkins (19) "mom" arrested & Grand jury indicted (8/30/17) on charges of 2 counts of child endangerment & abandonment & 2 counts of reckless injury to a child. ($70,000 bail) pled not guilty; hot car deaths. Amanda's trial was schedule for 3/26/18, delayed to today, 5/21/18.
*Kevin W. Franke (17) has been charged (2/5/18) with 2 counts of manslaughter, injury to a child & 2 counts of child abandonment. $310K bond.

*Trial set to begin (@ 8am CT) - TX - Leiliana Rose Wright (4) (Mar. 13, 2016) (beaten to death for drinking bro's juice) - Charles Wayne Phifer (34) (BF) charged & indicted with capital murder & felony injury to a child. Held on $1M bond.
Jeri Renee Quezada (30), "Mom" pled guilty on 7/9/16 to 1 count of felony injury to a child as part of a plea bargain & will testify at BF's trial and be sentenced to 50 years after trial.
Court docket says trial @ 8am, hearing @ 9am. :dunno:

*Trial set to begin (@ 9am CT) – KS – Evan Brewer (3) (July 7, 2017/found encased in concrete Sept. 2, 2017) – Stephen Bodine (40) – BF charged (12/5/17) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder, 1 count of felony child abuse, 1 count of aggraved endangerment of a child & 1 count aggravated kidnapping; charged (11/7/17) with aggravated assault & interference w/parental custody & criminal damage to property (against Evan’s father); pled not guilty. $500K bond.
Miranda Miller (36) “mom” charged on 11/7/17 with aggravated interference w/child custody; on 12/5/17 charged with 1st degree murder & felony child abuse; $500K bond.
Hearing 4/16/18: Miller waived right to prelim hearing and pled not guilty; took plea deal and pled guilty to 2nd degree murder, aggravated kidnapping, abuse, & aggravated endangerment of a child. She will testify against Bodine.

That's just a few I have notes for....

You are the best! Thank you!

I will go further and in MOO, I believe Tex McIver somewhat planned this. Maybe not minute detail, but I think he was mulling over options in his head, and thought this might work. And when the situation presented itself, he did it.

True Crime enthusiasts have seen all the potential ways, someone tried to get out of a marriage for financial or other reasons by eliminating the spouse:

1) hire a killer - this have been covered numerous times on Forensics Files, 20/20, Dateline etc. It almost never works. Police follow the money/the phones or someone involved caves in and spills the plan

2) spouse goes "missing" - Scott Peterson, Drew Peterson. Single best way to focus police attention on the remaining spouse. Again, it almost never works.

3) "a fall down the staircase" - Michael Peterson (so many Petersons, should be cautionary tale) how he thought he could get away with this twice is a special kind of narcissism and arrogance.

So, killing your wife in your own car, with your best friend driving doesn't seem like such a bad plan. In fact most people would say, "you would have to be stupid to do that" or "no one could plan that", so this would possibly divert attention from the remaining spouse. Well I believe Tex McIver did plan it and he almost got away with it. If he had summoned up the acting ability to play the grieving husband for an appropriate period and been more on the downlow about trying to get the insurance money, not inquiring into Diane's Social Security benefits and not hosting a gaudy auction of all of her possessions, I believe he would have gotten away with it.

Your points really resonate and make so much sense. For me personally, sometimes it’s hard to accept that a “normal” person resorts to murder. I believe it often! Casey Anthony for example. Jodi Arias. Other times it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around.

I’ve been a follower of true crime for years and I realize circumstantial evidence is crucial and quite often all most indictments have to go on.

I think my issue in acceptance of guilt tends to stem from my nature as an extremely sensitive soul. I feel compassion for most everyone and it clouds my judgment. Speaking realistically, I know he’s guilty. I guess I just didn’t want him to be.

Hey!

from article post by YESorNO said:
He also questioned the practice of allowing jurors to pose questions to witnesses after the lawyers finished their examinations.

I like that part! I think Arizona is another State that allows jurors to ask questions!

from article posted said:
Known as “The Fixer” because of his ability to grease the wheels of bureaucracy and get things done, McIver appeared stunned as he was handcuffed by a Fulton County sheriff’s deputy and led from the courtroom following the verdict....

Oh - I did not know this! Where have I been??!! LOL! So, that would explain the influencing witnesses charges!! I guess he thought he could "fix" his own defense!

And thanks for the sentencing date!

Hey!

I like that part! I think Arizona is another State that allows jurors to ask questions!

Oh - I did not know this! Where have I been??!! LOL! So, that would explain the influencing witnesses charges!! I guess he thought he could "fix" his own defense!

And thanks for the sentencing date!

Yes Tex was I believe medicated and frankly did not know what hit him as he was cuffed and taken away. As for the questions one commentator was talking about them...over 250 in this trial and I think in many cases the judge made up his own wording...I imagine the defense took note of that and is comparing them right now. This commentator thought that was cause for appeal. I will say the judge interjected himself into this trial more than any I have ever seen and no question the jury saw his affinity for the state and their case..also mention has been made by legal minds how utterly confused the jury was...they felt it was invol man. and yet came up with this verdict. It was by all accounts 100% compromise but a compromise that he put a man away for the rest of his life. I doubt they really understood that...and I know they should not know that. I would be curious to ask one of them if they had known that would they vote same way? Again I get not how it works. Such mixed feelings...personally I still have doubt he intended it to happen but he could have...is it more likely than not that he did intend it...not for me...I think I would have been a hold out on that jury and I bet there are one or more second guessing themselves at home now that were on the jury. Clearly only a few have spoken.

Boy this AJC article says about the same as i did in my last post https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--l...tex-mciver-life-prison/p2VKRe4OY9tUUcUpoS8tJI

Frankly after reading this and seeing that most were for invol.mans. and others for straight out malice murder and went with this "compromise" after allen charge yikes....they had no idea the penalties were identical for counts 1 and 2. These jurors are giving the straight story from in there...they were deadlocked and while I am all for compromise more than half of them are probably now not happy with what happened...unless they all agreed I don't think he should be in prison for the rest of his life. Problem is what this jury is saying can't be used for appeal. No doubt McBurney is hearing all of this...he will give him parole but what good will that do. While I thought he should do some time the penalty for invol mans. was the right one up to 10 years.

Diane won, Tex. Again. You thought you had finally beaten her, didn't you? You're a silly, stupid man for thinking that you could ever outsmart a woman like Diane. Maybe you killed her, but now look at you. Don't you wish you could be deeply in debt to her but free?

Diane means The Goddess of the Hunt, swiftness and beauty. Claude comes from the*Latin name*Claudius, itself deriving from 'claudicatio' meaning "limping" or "stuttering". It was written in the stars that she would always win. Love her or leave her. Period. There were no other viable options.

What the heck were you thinking? Arrogance was your downfall. You underestimated Diane's power, even in death, and you underestimated the jury. You overestimated your friends and their power or willingness to help you. You overestimated the power of your money and your own intelligence and charm. I hope you stay in that jail cell a long time and that she haunts your dreams.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Murder Conviction Bars McIver From Cashing In on Dead Wife’s Estate
A manslaughter conviction could still have allowed Tex McIver to benefit from Diane McIver's death under Georgia law.

"Atlanta attorney Claud “Tex” McIver’s dire finances are going to get a whole lot worse.

McIver’s murder conviction Monday for the 2016 death of his wife, Diane, triggered a Georgia law known as the “slayer statute.” If a husband slays his wife, the statute mandates that the assets of the victim’s estate be administered as if the culprit died first.

Anyone convicted of felonious or intentional murder who is an executor or beneficiary of the victim’s estate is barred both from inheriting or remaining as executor under the statute, said Skip Sugarman of Atlanta’s Sugarman Law, who specializes in estate and trusts litigation and followed the trial.

“Basically, the slayer statute disinherits you from someone if you kill them,” he said. “It seems obvious, but it used not to be the law. Until the 1950s, there was no law that automatically disinherited you.”...

“The standard is ‘intentionally and feloniously,’” Sugarman said in describing deaths that trigger the slayer statute. “Felony murder qualifies.”...

On Tuesday, state Rep. Mary Margaret Oliver, a Decatur attorney appointed as executor after McIver was removed last year, confirmed “The Georgia slayer statute becomes relevant, and there are many issues to be resolved” regarding Diane McIver’s estate. Oliver would not elaborate.

But Ken Rickert, general counsel of U.S. Enterprises where Diane McIver was president when she died and the designated trustee of her estate’s assets, said he met with Oliver Tuesday about what happens next. He said Tex McIver can no longer claim the proceeds from an insurance policy on his wife’s life valued at more than $600,000. He also said the estate intends to fight to prevent McIver from claiming his wife’s 401(k) account containing about $275,000.

Rickert also said the estate is pursuing a claim against McIver’s auto insurance policy....

Sugarman suggested the slayer statute may also strip McIver of his ownership of the ranch, which he reclaimed as soon as his wife died...."

https://www.law.com/dailyreportonli...ng-in-on-dead-wifes-estate/?cmp=share_twitter
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark Eiglarsh and Rachel Stockman Talk Tex McIver on Law & Crime Network 04/25/18

[video=youtube;rGcL-JMcAZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=rGcL-JMcAZs[/video]

(McIver talk starts @ 3:30)

Boy this AJC article says about the same as i did in my last post https://www.myajc.com/news/crime--l...tex-mciver-life-prison/p2VKRe4OY9tUUcUpoS8tJI

Frankly after reading this and seeing that most were for invol.mans. and others for straight out malice murder and went with this "compromise" after allen charge yikes....they had no idea the penalties were identical for counts 1 and 2. These jurors are giving the straight story from in there...they were deadlocked and while I am all for compromise more than half of them are probably now not happy with what happened...unless they all agreed I don't think he should be in prison for the rest of his life. Problem is what this jury is saying can't be used for appeal. No doubt McBurney is hearing all of this...he will give him parole but what good will that do. While I thought he should do some time the penalty for invol mans. was the right one up to 10 years.

I'm not a subscriber to AJC news, so I couldn't read that article.

What makes you say that "more than half of them are probably now not happy with what happened.." No one forced them to "compromise"- they could have just said that they couldn't come to an agreement/deadlocked and there would have been a mistrial. I think most, or at least some jurors, come to some kind of compromise in order to get a verdict...It's probably very hard to have 12 people all agree to whatever unless there is some hardcore evidence. In the end, these jurors made their own decision and each one of them told the judge "yes" that was their verdict.

Ultimately I think what swayed them was the idea that a gun just doesn't go off by itself - at least that's what the 2 jurors said in their interviews- and I think that's what all the jurors thought in the end. Is that a compromise? I don't think so. Involuntary manslaughter is just that, involuntary, and if they thought that "a gun just doesn't go off by itself", well that's not involuntary and it's some kind of murder, IMO.

Does the article state that the jurors didn't know the penalties were identical? How did the writer know that? Did one of the jurors say that? Just curious...

I don't think the judge will give him parole...also JMO.

And all just my...:moo:

In nearly every way, the Tex McIver verdict is confounding
A look at what jurors decided and what form an appeal could take

"Occasionally during the course of Tex McIver’s six-week trial in the shooting death of his wife, his bookkeeper and friend Rachel Styles would drive to his Buckhead condo to drop off some meals for him. Pot roast one time. Crab cakes another. “Just comfort food,” she told me. She’d leave the meals with the concierge, because she was, to her chagrin, a witness for the prosecution, meaning she and Tex were forbidden from communicating. It was Styles who had made copies for Diane McIver of what Diane had described as her second will, a will that ultimately was never found, but which became a key facet in the prosecution’s argument that Tex wanted Diane dead.

Styles was in Florida when yesterday’s verdict came down, watching a live stream on YouTube. On the first count—malice murder—the jury foreman announced, “Not guilty.” But then came guilty verdicts on counts two through five, including felony murder. “I just started bawling,” Styles said this morning. “I was just hysterical.”

The Tex McIver trial was that rare murder case that compels our attention for reasons that transcend the voyeuristic...

n many ways—in just about every way—the jury’s verdict was confounding. Acquitting Tex of malice murder meant the state had not proven that he had planned to kill his wife. But convicting him of aggravated assault meant he had intended to shoot her. “That he intended to hurt her but not kill her is totally inconsistent with the state’s theory, which is that he needed her dead in order to resolve his financial problems,” Hall said. Convicting him of aggravated assault was the felony the jury needed to convict him of felony murder, which is when a defendant kills another person in the commission of a felony. Intent to kill is not required.

Hall believes the McIver verdicts represent what’s called “jury nullification,” in which the jury could not agree on intent to kill, so compromised with a conviction of felony murder. “It doesn’t make legal sense,” Hall said. “There’s going to be a significant number of post-trial motions on this.” A central question the verdict raises, Hall said, is simply, “Was this decision just because the jury was convinced Tex McIver was a bad person?”...

...the sheer number of questions—298—raises a potential avenue of appeal for the defense, Hall believes. “What defense lawyers will argue is that Judge McBurney’s policy of allowing jury questions allowed the jury to consider a case that hadn’t actually been put up,” she said. “The state has a burden of proof beyond a reasonable doubt, and if it fails to put forward certain theories or evidence, having this panoply of jury questions that might have been on issues that the state hadn’t raised could be an issue. For 298 juror questions to come in, you start to wonder if that tips the scale away from the state’s burden.”...

Finally, by Rucker’s account and at least one juror’s, viewing the Ford Expedition where McIver shot his wife was pivotal in reaching its guilty verdicts. That the SUV was not admitted into evidence by the state—McBurney did it himself—is another potential path for appeal, Hall said. “Without the judge admitting the SUV after the close of evidence, the jury would not have been able to sit in the SUV while handling the firearm, something they did not do before the close of evidence. This is a potentially reversible error.”..."

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/news-culture-articles/nearly-every-way-tex-mciver-verdict-confunding/
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jurors asking questions of witnesses is permissable and a good thing, not a viable grounds for appeal.

Whether or not it's reversible error, I agree with the defense that jurors shouldn't have been allowed, after deliberations began, to have access to ANYTHING that wasn't admitted into evidence during the trial proper.

As far as it being a confounding verdict....Personally, I think confounding verdicts in GA are inevitable in trials where GA's fairly recent definition of felony murder is alleged.

I had a big 'ole problem with that definition during the Ross Harris trial, and do again with this trial, for the same reason. In Georgia, it is no longer necessary to prove intent for a defendant to be convicted of murder and locked away for life. IMO that is not only wrong, but unconstitutional.

This jury did not agree, or ultimately accept, that McIver acted with "malice"-- in other words, with premeditation or intent. Reality is, in terms of sentencing, whether or not he acted with malice- had intent- didn't even matter. The laws in GA as written are designed to produce an outcome that a jury doesn't get to determine, unless they find a defendant innocent. That's wrong.

I thought the defendant was incredibly arrogant, self-serving, self-absorbed, unlikable, trigger-happy, unfeeling, a racist, and overall, a SOB. I also don't believe he loved his wife, who, with all due respect, sounded difficult to even like very much, much less love.

But....if on the jury, I wouldn't have voted to convict him for malice murder either. I don't think the State had a strong case on that count, and as I've said, don't believe they should have been allowed (by law) to reach the same sentencing outcome, no matter the weakness of their case.

Yes Tex was I believe medicated and frankly did not know what hit him as he was cuffed and taken away. As for the questions one commentator was talking about them...over 250 in this trial and I think in many cases the judge made up his own wording...I imagine the defense took note of that and is comparing them right now. This commentator thought that was cause for appeal. I will say the judge interjected himself into this trial more than any I have ever seen and no question the jury saw his affinity for the state and their case..also mention has been made by legal minds how utterly confused the jury was...they felt it was invol man. and yet came up with this verdict. It was by all accounts 100% compromise but a compromise that he put a man away for the rest of his life. I doubt they really understood that...and I know they should not know that. I would be curious to ask one of them if they had known that would they vote same way? Again I get not how it works. Such mixed feelings...personally I still have doubt he intended it to happen but he could have...is it more likely than not that he did intend it...not for me...I think I would have been a hold out on that jury and I bet there are one or more second guessing themselves at home now that were on the jury. Clearly only a few have spoken.

I too have never seen a judge interject himself as much as this one did. I'm all in favor of judges exercizing control of their courtrooms & demanding decorum of every kind be respected & observed, but this judge, IMO, went way beyond that, and even so far as to comment upon and to critique the approach /arguments of attorneys on both sides, in front of the jury. Obnoxious.

I'm not a subscriber to AJC news, so I couldn't read that article.

What makes you say that "more than half of them are probably now not happy with what happened.." No one forced them to "compromise"- they could have just said that they couldn't come to an agreement/deadlocked and there would have been a mistrial. I think most, or at least some jurors, come to some kind of compromise in order to get a verdict...It's probably very hard to have 12 people all agree to whatever unless there is some hardcore evidence. In the end, these jurors made their own decision and each one of them told the judge "yes" that was their verdict.

Ultimately I think what swayed them was the idea that a gun just doesn't go off by itself - at least that's what the 2 jurors said in their interviews- and I think that's what all the jurors thought in the end. Is that a compromise? I don't think so. Involuntary manslaughter is just that, involuntary, and if they thought that "a gun just doesn't go off by itself", well that's not involuntary and it's some kind of murder, IMO.

Does the article state that the jurors didn't know the penalties were identical? How did the writer know that? Did one of the jurors say that? Just curious...

I don't think the judge will give him parole...also JMO.

And all just my...:moo:

I am not a subscriber either and the full article came up for me to read. Given the jury does not know what the penalties are I think it logical to assume count 1 would be the most drastic with count 2 being a bit less and on and on...for both 1 and 2 to be life is probably not something most jury members would assume and of course they are not supposed to. I think it reasonable that if I compromised up to a more serious count and then found out that is the sentence...well might make me think. I am just speaking how I might see it. The jurors speaking were pretty blunt about their feelings towards Tex...simply put...they did not like him at all...that sure helped them get the compromise. They clearly felt pressure with that Allen charge and I imagine that is why they are not used in some states. Its all complicated. I am glad that he can't get his hands on her money and I think anything he tries to get will be fought by Rickert and Corey.

turaj Lately, the news media that publish articles on the internet require some kind of payment/ subscription to view their articles- after 4-5 "free" articles- per month. I have used up all my free articles with AJC news. It really makes me mad- I have used up all my articles for the NY Times also and even the NY Daily News has started doing that (not the NY Post- yet). It's getting harder to read articles. I don't want to subscribe or pay for the articles (call me cheap).

Yes- - the jurors should not concern themselves with the penalty when deciding a verdict. That's what I have heard from the other trials I have followed. They should only concern themselves with what evidence was presented by the prosecution/defense in the penalty phase and make their decision on that.

I do understand what you are saying tho'.

turaj Lately, the news media that publish articles on the internet require some kind of payment/ subscription to view their articles- after 4-5 "free" articles- per month. I have used up all my free articles with AJC news. It really makes me mad- I have used up all my articles for the NY Times also and even the NY Daily News has started doing that (not the NY Post- yet). It's getting harder to read articles. I don't want to subscribe or pay for the articles (call me cheap).

Yes- - the jurors should not concern themselves with the penalty when deciding a verdict. That's what I have heard from the other trials I have followed. They should only concern themselves with what evidence was presented by the prosecution/defense in the penalty phase and make their decision on that.

I do understand what you are saying tho'.

You can either open a private window and paste the url into the address field or clear your cache and then you will be able to read again.

You can either open a private window and paste the url into the address field or clear your cache and then you will be able to read again.

Thank you for that info...I will try it....:tyou:

oh whatever girl, the jurors all knew it was a guilty charge but were some reason confused about the charges, i agree , im still confused, malice=ag asslt /felony murder...seems the same to me!
Mark Eiglarsh and Rachel Stockman Talk Tex McIver on Law & Crime Network 04/25/18

[video=youtube;rGcL-JMcAZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=53&v=rGcL-JMcAZs[/video]

(McIver talk starts @ 3:30)

So many petersons is right!! Lol
your points really resonate and make so much sense. For me personally, sometimes it’s hard to accept that a “normal” person resorts to murder. I believe it often! Casey anthony for example. Jodi arias. Other times it’s hard for me to wrap my mind around.

I’ve been a follower of true crime for years and i realize circumstantial evidence is crucial and quite often all most indictments have to go on.

I think my issue in acceptance of guilt tends to stem from my nature as an extremely sensitive soul. I feel compassion for most everyone and it clouds my judgment. Speaking realistically, i know he’s guilty. I guess i just didn’t want him to be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back