GUILTY GA - Dr. Charles Mann, 60, found murdered in Augusta creek, 21 Nov 2013

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by belimom, Nov 27, 2013.

1. belimom

belimom Our lives begin to end the day we become silent ab

At this point, it is being reported as a robbery/murder. I've been reading some of the comments, though, and I do wonder how he met up with the suspect -- carjacking? apprehended at ATM? something more sinister? Strangulation does seem more personal.

Whatever the reason, he didn't deserve to lose his life.

RIP, Dr. Mann.

(This is near my hometown, so it has piqued my interest - I hope LE gets to the bottom of it.)

2. Loading...

3. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

I see it now,The defense will blame the victim. Auto erotic strangulation/lifestyle choice.True or not it will be their defense and who knows a small town in the south with an older jury it could work.No offense to small town southerners.

4. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz New Member

Can't wrap my brain around this one. How did they manage to find a suspect? Also where was his body found? To me it is not unusual for a professional to work away from home during the week, so I'm not putting any inference on this. There is no reference to what his family consisted of. Was he married ?
    Did he have children? Does any one have any more information? Also the medical examiner stated something about water. Was he found in a river or some such body of water?

5. SilkySifaka

SilkySifaka Active Member

The strangulation marks will tell the tale on that one. I am just thankful they caught the guy quickly. RIP Doctor. And you don't normally get blunt force trauma with it. The only mystery is how he knew riggs. May have been an old patient of his or the son of a patient and invited him up for a drink

6. SilkySifaka

SilkySifaka Active Member

BBM here you go

7. Marg from Oz

Marg from Oz New Member

Thanks SilkySifaka. I thought spirit Creek was the name of a town. Not using my brain properly.

8. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

bbm: His body was found in a creek.

The article linked below mentions a wife, and also a son who is a student at Mercer University in Macon, GA.

http://www.macon.com/2013/11/25/2797336/doctor-with-ties-to-middle-georgia.html

9. colette

colette Well-Known Member

10. ATasteOfHoney

ATasteOfHoney Active Member

From various articles, it claims that Riggs had outstanding warrants against him for assault. Some allege that he beat his own father.

Perhaps Riggs was pretending he needed help or assistance and the Doctor tried but it cost him his life?

All just moo....

11. noZme

noZme Active Member

I've been following this for several days in various Georgia news sources. My aunt lived in the neighborhood (golf community) where Dr Mann currently resided. He had previously practiced in Tifton GA.

LE has kept the details close to the vest, but I thought Riggs was probably caught by his fingerprints in the doctors car & there was likely a car-jacking that ended in killing.

12. belimom

My question, though, is this: why take him back to your house? Also, someone pointed out that there is currently not a charge of kidnapping. Of course, that could change, or perhaps LE felt the kidnapping charge was not really important at this point in the game. But manual strangulation seems so personal. To carjack someone, it seems that you would need a weapon of some sort, yet no weapon seems to have been used on him - other than blunt force trauma.

I'm not trying to be a naysayer here, but I do think there are a few possibilities.

13. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

No matter what the reason for contact between Riggs and Dr. Mann, The defense and Riggs will come up with a story most likely having nothing to do with the truth.I am so jaded by the Caylee Anthony and Travis Alexander case.

14. Sonya610

Sonya610 Former Member

I think you can leave the "auto" part of out, if it was auto erotic strangulation there wouldn't be any murder charges! Plus while some folks are into some extreme things and while erotic strangulation CAN accidentally lead to death that wouldn't explain the blunt force injuries.

As far as that implication getting the defendant off, depends on the jury. Small town bible thumping southerners would not care how they met, they would convict the killer, they know hanky panky goes on (the South has a long tradition of accepting "eccentrics", as long as there are no parades and it remains unsaid by the individual people pretend not to notice) A "self defense to prevent sexual advances excuse" would not fly with them nor would "accidental voluntary strangulation". I would bet the suspect has a criminal history and regardless, the suspect is much younger and stronger than the victim was so self-defense makes no sense.

Now urban juries may decide that it is good enough to let the killer off.

15. colette

colette Well-Known Member

16. belimom

Google 'Austin Rhodes' (I don't think I can link it - it's a FB page). I don't know if what he is saying is true or not, but I think if the perp had forced him with a weapon, then he would've used a weapon to kill him. I'm still thinking there is more info to come out, unfortunately.... JMO

17. Backwoods

Backwoods New Member

18. Karmady

Karmady Former Member

19. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

20. cuffem

cuffem Active Member

I cant post a quote from the link above but Riggs posted on a friends facebook account that he murdered a man and the law was on to him. I love the fact that murderers are helping seal their conviction by confessing on videos and posting to you tube and confessing in a text or facebook.Oh and googling"how to kill someone" on their pc.Idiots!

21. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa