GA GA - Elaine Nix, 18, Gainesville, 20 Sept 1999

Thats excellent, well done:clap:

So one other thing I can't understand is how no cause of death could be determined? it's not like she had been missing for years before being found, but i'm not expert. What do you all think?

I am pretty sure that a cause of death may have been discovered, it is not being told to anyone (public) for investigative purposes. It is one of those things that only the killer will know.

Where is he now? I have found something but it is in another state.

Anyone know anything about him.

Bumping the thread, stirring it up. I am pursuing some new leads right now. Y'all are correct, Billy Millwood was the boyfriend. He was in another town and it is unclear that he had time to get to her... he was 30+ miles away. He did come to the last memorial for the first time since her death. Are any of you related to the case in any way? Friends? i would like to talk to anyone familiar w/ the case or that knew Elaine if I haven't already talked to you.

Billy is still in the Gainesville area. Does anyone here have any information about the Commonwealth Industrial Park in Rest Haven? I feel that this is our best piece of evidence right now. You would have had to know where to go to find the area. It was also a place where people dumped trash. there was a lot of trash from a neighboring trailer park that I went through. Anyone that lived there I would like to talk to. Also, one of the businesses is Truss Tech. I am VERY interested in talking to anyone that has ties to Truss Tech. You can stay anonymous. I have a person of interest right now, but I need to follow some leads before I get specific.

One more thing, (great I sound like Columbo) I need to talk to any prostitutes that may have been working the Blvd. in Atlanta from 97 to 99, when Elaine went missing that may have had contact with a man that may have been forceful, scary, hinky or anything like that. (Ican give some more details about this person later)

Bump

I just now read about Elaine and she strikes a chord in me...same age, same vicinity.

One of the posters above asked about why she would be on a pay phone and not a cell. In 1999 I was 19 (same as Elaine) and at the time cell phones were less popular because big deposits (esp for a youth with no credit, mine was $400 from Alltel). Many still used pagers unless they came from money or had a legit need for a cell. Her car was 13 years old so perhaps she didn't come from money. Cell phones were becoming rapidly more popular at this time so this may be a moot point.

http://findcarrie.blogspot.com/2006/09/vigil-remembers-elaine-nix-unsolved.html

Elaine's family and friends have had a really hard time dealing with all of this," Boyd said. "Her parents have almost lost everything they have and they don't have the money to hire a private investigator or put any more money up for the reward fund." Hal Lowder, a private investigator with Eagle Watch Investigations in Gainesville, has volunteered to assist with the case. Lowder, a former fire investigator with Hall County, was returning from Louisiana last week and could not be reached for comment. Boyd and Becky Nix also attended the "Montel Williams Show" last November looking for answers from psychic Sylvia Browne.

Although there have been no answers to Elaine's death, family members and friends still hold on to the fact that somebody may know something. "Awareness is vital and we want to let everyone know that Elaine is important to us," Boyd said.

Friday, September 29, 2006
Vigil Remembers Elaine Nix - Unsolved Murder Victim

Yes, awareness is the key in missing/murdered persons investigations.. Ironically, Facebook was opened to the public on September 26, 2006 to everyone ages 13 and older with a valid e-mail address. Searched for a facebook page for Elaine Nix & couldn't locate one. A facebook page is an excellent & free resource for maximum Awareness, imo..

I've read the links & looked at the Truss Tech website (re post #24). I wonder if Mr Lowder's questions that were connected to that business were answered. They employ about 250 & on Google Earth it appears other businesses are nearby... as well as wooded areas off Buford Hwy. Is that the industrial park where she was found? I'll go back & look.

Bump

I just now read about Elaine and she strikes a chord in me...same age, same vicinity.

One of the posters above asked about why she would be on a pay phone and not a cell. In 1999 I was 19 (same as Elaine) and at the time cell phones were less popular because big deposits (esp for a youth with no credit, mine was $400 from Alltel). Many still used pagers unless they came from money or had a legit need for a cell. Her car was 13 years old so perhaps she didn't come from money. Cell phones were becoming rapidly more popular at this time so this may be a moot point.

Yes, I had a pager. We had pay phones in my high school that were used frequently, I graduated in 2003. I did get a cell phone at age 16 in 2001 and that is when they started to become used widely with us kiddies.

Nothing new. Just adding an article from 2009.

A decade later, Nix's murder still a mystery
By Stephen Gurr
POSTED: September 19, 2009 10:41 p.m.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Shortly after 1 a.m. on Sept. 20, 1999, the East Hall teen finished an hourlong conversation with her boyfriend, hung up the phone and disappeared, her 1986 Toyota Celica left parked outside Zack’s Food Rack on Candler Highway.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nine days later, Nix’ lifeless, nude body was discovered in woods next to an industrial park in Buford, just south of the Hall County line. Her murder remains unsolved.[/FONT]​
0920nix4.jpg
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]
snip
[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Elaine Nix was at the pay phone outside the darkened convenience store because she couldn’t call her boyfriend, Billy Millwood, from her parents’ home, Boyd said. The call was long distance from her home, so she made the short drive to the closed store around midnight. She spent about an hour on the phone, according to records obtained by police.[/FONT]
[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Boyd said surveillance video recorded a dark-colored, small pickup truck drive into the [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]area in front of the store as Nix spoke on the phone.[/FONT]​
^^continued at the link

(Blog, non-MSM)

Who Murdered Elaine Nix and Left Her Nude Body in the Woods?
True Crime Report
By Gary C. King Thursday, October 15, 2009 at 9:07 am
hsn4.jpg

About 2 a.m., an hour after Elaine finished her call, a police officer patrolling the area saw her 1986 Toyota Celica parked outside the store. The cop stopped to check it out and found that the hood was still warm, the keys were in the ignition, and there was a purse and cigarettes in the back seat, according to a friend. It seems strange that the car was left there by the police officer, especially with the keys in the ignition, but that's how it was found by Elaine's mother, Becky, the next morning. She drove the car home and called the police to report her daughter missing.
^^Much more at the link
[/FONT]

Probably the murderer drove her car. That is why it was still warm. This is what happened to my friend. Mr. Lowder needs to see if there is anyone who saw her car being driven by someone besides her or her mother. This may be impossible to find out since I realize it was dark outside and Elaine's car doesn't sound like it would stand out too much. However, it's possible someone saw and didn't realize the significance of what they were seeeing.

Possibly the murderer took Elaine and her car at the same time. She was taken to the site in Buford. Then the murderer returned her car to where it was later found. The murderer got into its vehicle and left.

I imagine someone has thought of this. But, I'm just saying murderers do this.

Probably the murderer drove her car. That is why it was still warm. This is what happened to my friend. Mr. Lowder needs to see if there is anyone who saw her car being driven by someone besides her or her mother. This may be impossible to find out since I realize it was dark outside and Elaine's car doesn't sound like it would stand out too much. However, it's possible someone saw and didn't realize the significance of what they were seeeing.

Possibly the murderer took Elaine and her car at the same time. She was taken to the site in Buford. Then the murderer returned her car to where it was later found. The murderer got into its vehicle and left.

I agree. Her purse & smokes would have been in the passenger seat when she was driving there. They would be moved to the back when there was someone in the passenger seat.

bbm: Yes, some certainly do.

I'm not sure I think that's what happened here, but possible.

Seems she didn't have to drive very far to the store to use the phone, right? Was on the phone about an hour, and then in about another hour, the cop happened by and noted the engine was still warm. Could it have still been warm just from her own drive...? It was September -- wonder what the weather was like that evening.

ETA: December, I see you're pretty new at WS -- so, Welcome! :seeya:

I agree. Her purse & smokes would have been in the passenger seat when she was driving there. They would be moved to the back when there was someone in the passenger seat.

I was thinking that same thing, but then I also thought how sometimes, if I have a bunch of junk in the front passenger seat (not unusual, LOL) when I get in to drive, I will set my purse in the back. So -- wonder if the front passenger seat had other stuff in it...

I remember looking at this case before ... and like bessie said in her recent post, doesn't seem like much new to go on.

Does anybody know: Was Elaine still in school? If she was 18 and it was September, seems most likely she would have graduated already (if she didn't drop out, etc. -- not that I have any reason to believe she did that). Anybody happen to know where she went to high school?

I wonder if it's truly the case that no cause of death was ever determined. I hope they were able to do some toxicology tests on her remains somehow. Also hope they got some DNA!!

I was thinking that same thing, but then I also thought how sometimes, if I have a bunch of junk in the front passenger seat (not unusual, LOL) when I get in to drive, I will set my purse in the back. So -- wonder if the front passenger seat had other stuff in it...

Agreed.- depends on what side of the back seat, and on the seat or in the floor wells- so one would know if the driver or passenger put them back there

I am thinking, with being on the phone for an hour, wouldn't she have had her smokes with her at the phone booth?? ( maybe, depending how heavy a smoker she was)

Agreed.- depends on what side of the back seat, and on the seat or in the floor wells- so one would know if the driver or passenger put them back there

I am thinking, with being on the phone for an hour, wouldn't she have had her smokes with her at the phone booth?? ( maybe, depending how heavy a smoker she was)

bbm: Very good thinking! (I would have had mine...)

The phone looked like the type she would drive up to? And, from what people were saying, it sounds like she did. But, I don't know... she could have been parked with her doors open or anything else. Maybe someone recalls the particulars about that since IIRC someone did see her on the phone.

With her own drive being short and then her car sitting for more than one hour, I don't know if her engine would be warm. And without the sun beating down on the hood of the car, it probably would have cooled off somewhat.. enough that the police officer wouldn't particuarly note it as though the car had been recently driven.

Wasn't the car in a different place when found than when last seen with her in it? I thought it was in front of the store as opposed to over by the phone when the police officer found it? I apologize if I've gotten that wrong.

I suppose she might have driven off somewhere and then returned to the pay phone in between the last time she was seen and then was abducted. Maybe someone else was on the phone and she pulled up to wait her turn. I know by then it would be getting pretty late to be making phone calls, but teenagers sometimes stay up really late to talk on the phone.

P.S. Hi Backwoods, thank you for the welcome.

I remember looking at this case before ... and like bessie said in her recent post, doesn't seem like much new to go on.

Does anybody know: Was Elaine still in school? If she was 18 and it was September, seems most likely she would have graduated already (if she didn't drop out, etc. -- not that I have any reason to believe she did that). Anybody happen to know where she went to high school?

I wonder if it's truly the case that no cause of death was ever determined. I hope they were able to do some toxicology tests on her remains somehow. Also hope they got some DNA!!

GA rules - birthday cut off is Sept 1; her birthday is Dec 1980; she most likely
just graduated, but GA does not require a child to attend school until the age of 6 or she could have been held back, so she could have still been in HS. She probably would have gone to Johnson High in Gainesville, Hall County. There is not a graduation picture of her on her page:

http://elainenix.webs.com/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back