GA GA - Jenna Van Gelderen, 25, Atlanta, 18 Aug 2017 #5

Looks like an old chemical company building from Google maps. Seems abandoned to me. Lots of construction work going on around. GMaps says 11 minute drive from where her car was found.
Someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

I hope Jenna’s family are close to finding answers and getting the closure they deserve.

Quoting from way earlier:
Per Google maps timeline; per VI -Thread #1, post #848, she stopped in the Area of English Avenue (North andNorthside Drive) for about 5-6 minutes around 10 pm.

That's less than a mile from where these remains were found. However, her Google Maps and debit card indicated that she went to a Wendy's and a gas station after that, closer to both her and her parents' residences. It does indicate that she was near this area shortly before she disappeared and was either familiar with it or knew someone who was.

Per Google, that old building is Guardian Studios, for the Black Women in Visual Arts, which opened in June 2021, so 6 months after the streetview updated. Next door in the same complex is an event venue--using these old warehouses as studios/galleries/venues is very popular in that part of town. Jefferson dead ends into the railroad tracks, and there's some underbrush across the street that could be a likely spot. The street view is from December 2020, and you can tell there's some construction going on nearby, as well--per an article, "Beyond that, 292 apartments and 23,000 square feet of retail are planned to deliver in late 2022 at Echo Street West, followed by 300,000 square feet of spec offices with mass-timber construction in May 2023." The area is booming and transforming rapidly. I'll try to drive by if I get a chance sometime.

As mentioned in the article, this location is also 1-2 blocks from the Westside portion of the Atlanta Beltline Trail. It gets less traffic than the Eastside portion, but still quite popular. The whole area is drastically different than when Jenna disappeared.

No leads. Nothing. It doesn't appear Dekalb PD have ever done much to find Jenna. Log in or sign up to view
It's sad to say, but the truth is that because Jenna had a criminal record, LE probably doesn't care whether her case is solved. I've seen that before many times over.

Somebody could probably become a serial killer and rack up a record number of victims just by targeting people with criminal records. The attitude from LE would be, "Good riddance!" The cops would be like, "Oops! I accidentally spilled a gallon of Clorox bleach in that area that might have contained the killer's DNA! My bad! And I probably shouldn't have polished that doorknob that had the killer's fingerprints on it. Oh well! Too late now! I'll try to remember for next time."

Hey All, yearly check in.
5th anniversary of Jennas disappearance and even though we mourned Jenna last year , we continue to pursue justice.
GBI has been "handling" the case, promised updates every 90 days never happen, get generic responses if we're lucky. If we get a lead that we feel is worth looking into , we pass to them, usually never hear about it again.
Overall just completely exhausted and frustrated how this has been handled top to bottom.
We get told usually once this boils over that we may get more insight or told they will do better, but then everything reverts back in a few months.

We've started pleading with state representatives for assistance but aren't getting much traction.

1660977352794.jpeg“So last year, we actually mourned Jenna.” Will Van Gelderen paused, “We as a family made a decision kind of expecting she wasn’t coming back.”

August 19th, 2017 was the last time Will Van Gelderen heard from his sister, Jenna.

“She was sweet, she was loving, she loved animals,” he explained.

“She was just starting to get a grasp on her adulthood. Moving out of the house was a big step for her,”

Currently, the Georgia Bureau of Investigations (GBI) is offering a $50,000 reward in the case. But the agency confirmed with CBS46, there are neither new tips or new updates.

Hey All, yearly check in.
5th anniversary of Jennas disappearance and even though we mourned Jenna last year , we continue to pursue justice.
GBI has been "handling" the case, promised updates every 90 days never happen, get generic responses if we're lucky. If we get a lead that we feel is worth looking into , we pass to them, usually never hear about it again.
Overall just completely exhausted and frustrated how this has been handled top to bottom.
We get told usually once this boils over that we may get more insight or told they will do better, but then everything reverts back in a few months.

We've started pleading with state representatives for assistance but aren't getting much traction.
I'm so sorry to hear that. Jenna and your family deserve answers and justice. Perhaps you can reach out to a true crime podcaster or YouTuber to get some interest or traction?

It's sad to say, but the truth is that because Jenna had a criminal record, LE probably doesn't care whether her case is solved. I've seen that before many times over.

Somebody could probably become a serial killer and rack up a record number of victims just by targeting people with criminal records. The attitude from LE would be, "Good riddance!" The cops would be like, "Oops! I accidentally spilled a gallon of Clorox bleach in that area that might have contained the killer's DNA! My bad! And I probably shouldn't have polished that doorknob that had the killer's fingerprints on it. Oh well! Too late now! I'll try to remember for next time."
Criminal record: You make it sound like she was a heavy criminal on record.

Bringing up some of the info from back then. Note: references may have been changed because of deleted posts.

T(hreat) 2 #15 (post number) VI (verified insider). Jenna is in the autism spectrum; has a form of high-functioning autism. Can easily be manipulated and doesn't realize what she is doing is bad.

Per VI - Thread 1, post #165
February 2017
She had a job back in Feb at the pet store but we found out through a friend she had been fired for theft at the store. Which is really not like her.
Per VI - Thread #1, post #160
We found out large sums of money had been taken in total from various times from her register. She was arrested, and through the court case, we were able to have the sentence reduced to a misdemeanor. She would not tell us where the money went and that she was "framed" by a manager. I am starting to think that maybe she did do this and paid one of these guys with the money.
Per VI -Thread #1, post #160 Person 4: Another guy, that we have discovered that used to come into the store, demanding money and other things from Jenna. Found out she had been paying this guy through western union about $1100 over the course of 2-3 years, met him in college.

IMO Jenna was manipulated or forced into doing some things. My believe is it wouldn't have come to her head doing them if there weren't evil people around.

Did LE botch the investigation from the beginning?....total lack of due diligence?....absolutely!! I can totally understand the pain and frustration about it by the family. Not to belittle Jenna's case but they are sadly one of many families "being in the dark" about what happens or not happens in the investigation into the disappearance or supposed murder of their loved ones.

Although you are factually right, Jenna has a criminal record, my feeling is LE can see it for what is was and -in this case- this is not the reason they don't care for solving the case.

IMO the problem is; no solid leads (because of failures made early in the investigation and people not speaking up) and not having the decency informing the family on a regular basis. Even a call saying "sorry, we have nothing new" or an evaluation would be a nice gesture to let the family know they do care and Jenna is not forgotten.

Jenna popped into my head in the middle of the night last night. I didn't realize it was the 5 year anniversary. I'm so sorry that there are no answers. Thinking of her family and friends.

I have read all threads and posts on this case. Subie I recently moved to the Atlanta area and I would love to help in any way I can. Please post on this thread if there is ever something us locals can do. I know it’s been years since her disappearance but if a new lead arises or you need boots on the ground, I’m here!

I have read all threads and posts on this case. Subie I recently moved to the Atlanta area and I would love to help in any way I can. Please post on this thread if there is ever something us locals can do. I know it’s been years since her disappearance but if a new lead arises or you need boots on the ground, I’m here!

I wish I could say there was something that folks could do. Most of the areas we searched in Fairburn are now developed .

We are wanting more pressure put on state reps and the GBI for making changes to how missing persons cases are handled.

8 Nov 2022
SBM
Five years after her mysterious disappearance, Georgia law enforcement are hoping someone can help them discover what happened to 25-year-old Jenna Van Gelderen. [snip] Anyone with information is asked to call the GBI tip line at 1-800-597-8477 or Crime Stoppers at 404-577-8477.

I wish a podcast or video YTer would pick this up. I did see that FOX5 in Atlanta did a very brief reminder minus most of the details that is linked above. The Oxygen Channel did an 18 minute video 3 years ago that has been posted here before. Since that is probably the best effort I've found, time to post again.

DEC 5, 2022

Jenna Van Gelderen

jenna_van_gelderen.jpg

Jenna Van Gelderen was last heard from while pet-sitting her parents’ cat in the Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta on the night of August 18, 2017. The 25-year-old had plans to meet a friend the next day. But when the friend arrived at the house, neither Jenna nor her vehicle was there. Jenna’s brother, Will, was contacted and he found their parents’ home in disarray. Many of Jenna’s belongings were left behind; all that was missing was a WWII tapestry. After three days of not hearing from Jenna, the family reported her missing. Jenna’s dark blue Mazda 6 was found a couple of weeks later parked along a road in northwest Atlanta. Detective Shiera Campbell of the DeKalb Police Department previously told Dateline there was nothing left in the car, and the gas tank was empty. In August 2021, a memorial service was held at Shearith Israel, the first time Jenna’s family and the community had formally mourned her. Any tips regarding Jenna’s case should be provided to the DeKalb Police Department at (770) 724-7600 or https://gbi.georgia.gov.

DEC 5, 2022

Jenna Van Gelderen

jenna_van_gelderen.jpg

Jenna Van Gelderen was last heard from while pet-sitting her parents’ cat in the Druid Hills neighborhood of Atlanta on the night of August 18, 2017. The 25-year-old had plans to meet a friend the next day. But when the friend arrived at the house, neither Jenna nor her vehicle was there. Jenna’s brother, Will, was contacted and he found their parents’ home in disarray. Many of Jenna’s belongings were left behind; all that was missing was a WWII tapestry. After three days of not hearing from Jenna, the family reported her missing. Jenna’s dark blue Mazda 6 was found a couple of weeks later parked along a road in northwest Atlanta. Detective Shiera Campbell of the DeKalb Police Department previously told Dateline there was nothing left in the car, and the gas tank was empty. In August 2021, a memorial service was held at Shearith Israel, the first time Jenna’s family and the community had formally mourned her. Any tips regarding Jenna’s case should be provided to the DeKalb Police Department at (770) 724-7600 or https://gbi.georgia.gov.
Not to nitpick and it's great they keep Jenna's case in the light, but they keep recycling incorrect information.

This is info gathered from different parts in the earlier threads from different sources, mostly from the verified insider, Jenna's Brother and from the find Jenna van Gelderen FB page. Post number might be off, because of moderation.

“On Tuesday, Sept. 5, DeKalb County Police SVU Supervisor, Sgt. Torrey Kennedy said, her car, a blue 2010 Mazda 6 sedan, was found in a parking lot on Defoors Avenue in Atlanta, nearby Interstate 75--and only about seven miles from her parents' house” “Inside her car, yielded zero fingerprints nor clues. Nearby store security camera videos in the area provided police with no further leads” Media states that the car was out of gas. Oh, and one more thing. Car was not out of gas, it was on E, but definitely enough that my dad was able to go a few miles to the nearest gas station. Not sure why the police or the media reported that Brother T2 # 359.

• About surveillance cameras and processing the car: Post FB 9/22 “We are asking if any business owners or neighbors of the area can check footage as well” They did check cameras around the area but haven't found anything useful yet Post 9/29 brother T2 # 939
  • Question on FB “Did the police get fingerprints or other evidence from the car?” and answer “They did and so far they have not found anything helpful from the car”. (Post FB, 9/22) Finger prints should be in the car. I agree, but according to what the police said in the news articles there where none. If so that means someone wiped it down. Brother T2 # 295
  • I can tell though that the driver seat was pushed all the way back and fully down (not how she would have driven it). Not reclined all the way back like for sleeping. Just seat rails all the way back, and the vertical height pushed all the way down. Brother T2 # 489
  • Officials have not released what type of shape the vehicle was in, or what, if anything, they found inside (from media)
  • Mileage checked? Last oil update should know the mileage. What was it when found?
What was or was not in the car when found?

NO

• Her phones and green San Antonio t-shirt are still missing. Post FB 9/21
  • Tapestry. “However it was not in the car”. FB post 9/22
  • All (her stuff) in the car except her wallet and phones. Brother T2 #441
  • House and Car keys? Both she had them on a lanyard. Per VI, T2 #982. Keys have not been located yet as from what we know, so they are missing as well T3 #299
YES
  • “We have retrieved Jenna's car. Most of her belongings are still inside however. Post FB 9/21
  • Her suit case, with clothes, other shoes are in the trunk
  • Jenna’s glasses within the car? “Yes, however she did not wear them often”. FB post 11/21 (so not in the trunk persé)
  • An iPhone 7 lightning to headphone adapter on the driver seat. (Jenna had an iPhone SE which did not need this, I’m not sure if that is relevant or not yet) Brother T2 # 355. Brother T2 # 489
  • Purse / day bag yes found in car.
  • Did find a digital voice recorder though that she had from school to study in her day bag
  • A pocket taser in her day bag. Not sure on those maybe she use the recorder recently, batteries dead though. Brother T2 # 441 Was did the device the mentioned recording could be made on?
  • Her ID / debit cards were in the car brother T2 #920 For the record, some posts may look like she had credit cards but she hadn’t She only had a debit card. No credit cards at this current time nor have any been opened that we can find. Brother T2# 971

Why was the suitcase in the car?; That we don't know. That is what she brought over to the house to stay the week. We thought maybe she had been going back and forth from her apartment or that someone may have staged her leaving ? T2 # 891

Not to nitpick and it's great they keep Jenna's case in the light, but they keep recycling incorrect information.

This is info gathered from different parts in the earlier threads from different sources, mostly from the verified insider, Jenna's Brother and from the find Jenna van Gelderen FB page. Post number might be off, because of moderation.

“On Tuesday, Sept. 5, DeKalb County Police SVU Supervisor, Sgt. Torrey Kennedy said, her car, a blue 2010 Mazda 6 sedan, was found in a parking lot on Defoors Avenue in Atlanta, nearby Interstate 75--and only about seven miles from her parents' house” “Inside her car, yielded zero fingerprints nor clues. Nearby store security camera videos in the area provided police with no further leads” Media states that the car was out of gas. Oh, and one more thing. Car was not out of gas, it was on E, but definitely enough that my dad was able to go a few miles to the nearest gas station. Not sure why the police or the media reported that Brother T2 # 359.

• About surveillance cameras and processing the car: Post FB 9/22 “We are asking if any business owners or neighbors of the area can check footage as well” They did check cameras around the area but haven't found anything useful yet Post 9/29 brother T2 # 939
  • Question on FB “Did the police get fingerprints or other evidence from the car?” and answer “They did and so far they have not found anything helpful from the car”. (Post FB, 9/22) Finger prints should be in the car. I agree, but according to what the police said in the news articles there where none. If so that means someone wiped it down. Brother T2 # 295
  • I can tell though that the driver seat was pushed all the way back and fully down (not how she would have driven it). Not reclined all the way back like for sleeping. Just seat rails all the way back, and the vertical height pushed all the way down. Brother T2 # 489
  • Officials have not released what type of shape the vehicle was in, or what, if anything, they found inside (from media)
  • Mileage checked? Last oil update should know the mileage. What was it when found?
What was or was not in the car when found?

NO

• Her phones and green San Antonio t-shirt are still missing. Post FB 9/21
  • Tapestry. “However it was not in the car”. FB post 9/22
  • All (her stuff) in the car except her wallet and phones. Brother T2 #441
  • House and Car keys? Both she had them on a lanyard. Per VI, T2 #982. Keys have not been located yet as from what we know, so they are missing as well T3 #299
YES
  • “We have retrieved Jenna's car. Most of her belongings are still inside however. Post FB 9/21
  • Her suit case, with clothes, other shoes are in the trunk
  • Jenna’s glasses within the car? “Yes, however she did not wear them often”. FB post 11/21 (so not in the trunk persé)
  • An iPhone 7 lightning to headphone adapter on the driver seat. (Jenna had an iPhone SE which did not need this, I’m not sure if that is relevant or not yet) Brother T2 # 355. Brother T2 # 489
  • Purse / day bag yes found in car.
  • Did find a digital voice recorder though that she had from school to study in her day bag
  • A pocket taser in her day bag. Not sure on those maybe she use the recorder recently, batteries dead though. Brother T2 # 441 Was did the device the mentioned recording could be made on?
  • Her ID / debit cards were in the car brother T2 #920 For the record, some posts may look like she had credit cards but she hadn’t She only had a debit card. No credit cards at this current time nor have any been opened that we can find. Brother T2# 971

Why was the suitcase in the car?; That we don't know. That is what she brought over to the house to stay the week. We thought maybe she had been going back and forth from her apartment or that someone may have staged her leaving ? T2 # 891
Wow, that is a lot of incorrect information! I have not followed Jenna's case and had no idea. I pray that Jenna is found soon, and I thank you for taking the time to set this all straight. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back