GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be late to the thread, but is there no DNA evidence?
We don't know for sure. Initially there was a report that some sort of evidence was taken from Bowie, the dog. It sounded like maybe he had bitten the attacker and we assumed that might be blood or tissue, something with DNA. But later, we heard from a retired detective with ties to APD that there is no complete DNA evidence. Other than the released autopsy, we really have very little info. APD has kept quiet on what evidence they have. Obviously if they have DNA, it isn't from someone known or in the system. So, my guess, and it is just a guess, is that there is no DNA. And that really is amazing given what happened. This is really one of the most perplexing crimes I have seen on here. I really really don't know what to make of this.

We don't know for sure. Initially there was a report that some sort of evidence was taken from Bowie, the dog. It sounded like maybe he had bitten the attacker and we assumed that might be blood or tissue, something with DNA. But later, we heard from a retired detective with ties to APD that there is no complete DNA evidence. Other than the released autopsy, we really have very little info. APD has kept quiet on what evidence they have. Obviously if they have DNA, it isn't from someone known or in the system. So, my guess, and it is just a guess, is that there is no DNA. And that really is amazing given what happened. This is really one of the most perplexing crimes I have seen on here. I really really don't know what to make of this.
If there *is* DNA, then we might be able to help, even if it is DNA from an unknown person. We work lots of cases that way. See examples here: DNASolves - Your DNA Could Help Solve a Crime.

If the detectives are interested, we would be more than happy to help and they can reach out to us via request.othram.com.

We know that APD called in the FBI almost immediately to assist. So I can only assume that FBI has any DNA related evidence for analysis. So funding or resources shouldn't an issue. I think they just don't have a good sample. If they do, they are keeping it very close to the vest right now. but if so, it must not match anyone in the data base or anyone known to LE as a potential suspect. So I think there either is no usable DNA or if there is, it just doesn't match anyone yet.

We know that APD called in the FBI almost immediately to assist. So I can only assume that FBI has any DNA related evidence for analysis. So funding or resources shouldn't an issue. I think they just don't have a good sample. If they do, they are keeping it very close to the vest right now. but if so, it must not match anyone in the data base or anyone known to LE as a potential suspect. So I think there either is no usable DNA or if there is, it just doesn't match anyone yet.

I agree with you. I should have said I was just expressing a "general" thought not necessarily specific to this case.

Sorry to be late to the thread, but is there no DNA evidence?
A minuscule amount of info has been publicly released re this case. Only verified is FBI called in to assist, but no reason given to assist w/what, specifically. Victim's (KJ) post-mortem exam of body conditions released by the county ME w/COD. Photo of both victims last seen at 12:09 am. 911 call of victim's GF (found the vics at approximately 1:00am).
Video & photos of 6 people near the crime scene before & after estimated time of murders. A few press conf w/mayor, county DA & LE officials. Vigil footage, GF interviews & a couple of friends & co-worker. Also video footage of LE searching nearby lake & removing at least one tree limb from the area.
No info re Bowie's (dog) autopsy or COD. Nothing re specific type of weapon(s) used. No known surveillance of the CS area during the crime. No possible POIs stated & no one has been ruled out as a suspect publicly except the 6 potential witnesses. I really wish you could help!
JMO
Edited to add that this is just my opinion.

FWIW,
Just finished bumping a thread that i had started but overlooked until now, but after re-reading the details of the nurse's unsolved murder in the 1970's , i am reminded me of KJ's peculiar murder.

''Closer inspection revealed the bloody and begrimed features of a prostrate Caucasian female with light brown hair, dark frame glasses, about 5 feet, 7 inches tall, and weighing about 110 pounds. Though fully clothed, the body was an unsightly mash of cuts, slashes, and bruises, emanating the metallic tang of caked blood. Her throat cut, she bled to death after the main artery in her neck was severed.

The victim was stabbed multiple times, though knife wounds on the woman’s right side “were apparently not deep enough to have mortally wounded her,” according to a later coroner’s report. No determination was rendered regarding whether she was sexually assaulted. Details were scarce, though Sheriff Blaine Skinner told the media that he believed the kill site was the location where the body was discovered. ''

From the autopsy report: "3. A blue-black plastic wireless earbud is adjacent to the right ear."

IMO, this indicates she may have been listening to music at the time of the attack. Listening to music via earbuds would have masked the approach of the attacker and made her much more vulnerable. May she rest in peace and may her murderer be arrested soon.

I never wear earbuds in public, for the exact reason that they can isolate one from their surroundings.
Was it only one ear bud? This could mean she was talking to someone on her phone via Bluetooth during the attack. It's possible she was listening to music but usually if I just have one in I am talking on the phone.

Yes part of me wants to believe the silence from LE is a positive; that they know what they are doing and are making progress. Part of me fears that this is not the case and we have another Delphi on our hands. Really hoping it's the former.

Yes part of me wants to believe the silence from LE is a positive; that they know what they are doing and are making progress. Part of me fears that this is not the case and we have another Delphi on our hands. Really hoping it's the former.
It is perplexing. Initially I really thought the lack of info from police was a good sign, just processing evidence, didn't need a lot of public help. But it has now almost been a year. Not sure what to think.

AUDIO.
June 20 2022

''It’s been almost a year since Katie Janness and her dog died brutally inside Atlanta’s Piedmont Park. The person who stabbed Jannes more than 50 times, and slit the throat of the dog, is still at large.

Family and friends have unveiled a forever memorial bench to honor Katie Janness. As far as the investigation, Atlanta Police say it’s ongoing.

Joining Nancy Grace Today:''

AUDIO.
June 20 2022

''It’s been almost a year since Katie Janness and her dog died brutally inside Atlanta’s Piedmont Park. The person who stabbed Jannes more than 50 times, and slit the throat of the dog, is still at large.

Family and friends have unveiled a forever memorial bench to honor Katie Janness. As far as the investigation, Atlanta Police say it’s ongoing.

Joining Nancy Grace Today:''

Interesting. Did we know for sure before that the dog's throat was slit? That's new information to me as last I heard the necropsy results weren't released (but I don't follow this as closely as some others). Seems like if this info is accurate it's possible the dog may have been incapacitated first, which explains a lot.

Interesting. Did we know for sure before that the dog's throat was slit? That's new information to me as last I heard the necropsy results weren't released (but I don't follow this as closely as some others). Seems like if this info is accurate it's possible the dog may have been incapacitated first, which explains a lot.
I think we had heard some rumors about it, but nothing official. You're right, necropsy on Bowie has not been released, and I doubt it will be any time soon. I wondered about incapacitating the dog first too. It is just difficult to see how this attack went down.

Bowie's throat was not slit. I personally read a tweet, earlier today, from JC (KJ father in law), on his actual account. He said, "Bowie's throat was not slit". I believe him because EC said she picked him up in an interview, and JC said also on Twitter that she had zero blood on her. If he were cut, it would be 99.9% impossible not to have a little blood on her shirt. So, I'm betting he was strangled with his leash. Just stating my opinion.

Im also giving my opinion that this could open up a good possibility that there were multiple attackers. One attacked Bowie, while the other attacked KJ. There no way on earth 1 person could render both of them helpless...alone...while a dog is very likely biting...KJ might have helped but would have likely screamed her head off while someone was attacking her dog. If he attacked KJ first, the dog would be barking....possibly biting....and it just doesnt seem plausible that this was done by one individual.

Bowie's throat was not slit. I personally read a tweet, earlier today, from JC (KJ father in law), on his actual account. He said, "Bowie's throat was not slit". I believe him because EC said she picked him up in an interview, and JC said also on Twitter that she had zero blood on her. If he were cut, it would be 99.9% impossible not to have a little blood on her shirt. So, I'm betting he was strangled with his leash. Just stating my opinion.

Im also giving my opinion that this could open up a good possibility that there were multiple attackers. One attacked Bowie, while the other attacked KJ. There no way on earth 1 person could render both of them helpless...alone...while a dog is very likely biting...KJ might have helped but would have likely screamed her head off while someone was attacking her dog. If he attacked KJ first, the dog would be barking....possibly biting....and it just doesnt seem plausible that this was done by one individual.
Mr. Clark has made in public two incorrect statements regarding the murder, one that there was DNA in Bowie’s mouth-this was never mentioned by the police, and that male DNA was found on Katie’s body, not mentioned by the M.E. or the police. In my opinion, he certainly wants to support Emma, but it seems he also likes to be heard and his inaccurate statements Do Not help this case. I don’t recall anything about Bowie’s COD being released by LE or any other credible source. IMO, it’s possible there were two killers, but I believe there was just one jealous, envious murderer, full of rage and discontent with him/herself.

Katie and Emma were not married, so Mr. Clark was not a FIL, for the record.

I hope very much we will have some good news by July 28th at the very latest.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member