GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
A thought that bothers me is that the killer isn't even from the area and just got in their vehicle and drove off.
Possible, but this isn't really an area that easy to park in at times. At night many of the residents are parking on street, filling the side streets. There is a lot behind Park Tavern (if it's still open for parking at that time) and a garage near the Botanical Garden but either of those would have been a hike for a blood covered person unfamiliar with the area.

Last edited:
I would head anywhere but home to avoid them following me home - and probably zig zag like what has been suggested in earlier posts. However, I would also text my SO to let them know I thought I was in danger? It does not sound like Emma heard anything from Katie after Katie left Henry’s. If Katie felt she was in danger / being followed, that’s where I get confused - why not let Emma know so she could have picked them up?
If someone was familiar with the area (like KJ certainly was) and thought they were being followed, they'd know where to head to be around more people. Into the park would not be one of those choices at that time of the night.

The only one that has caught my attention is the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing back in early June (6/5, I think). I remember thinking how senseless it was. But it may not be relevant at all to Katie’s case - as the suspect in the greenway stabbing case (JC) was denied bond on 6/11 - so I am assuming he was still in the Dekalb County jail when Katie was killed. But I don’t know how to check..

One would not think that a suspect who had recently randomly stabbed a pregnant woman while she was walking on a local greenway trail with her 3 year old son, - and who had 12 previous arrests in the state of GA, - and who was out on bail for two prior offenses at the time of the greenway trail stabbing - would have been free and out on the streets of ATL 6 weeks later and near Piedmont Park when Katie was murdered - but stranger things have happened.

Imo, the similarities and pertinent info between the two cases include:

-both stabbings took place in an urban park, on a paved trail/road (and both victims were technically not alone)

-both stabbings appear to have been for no apparent reason whatsoever

-police said they thought the greenway trail stabbing suspect was mentally ill and homeless

-the judge in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing felt that the subject was a risk to the community

-police in the Peachtree Creek greenway case said that the suspect (CJ), confessed

-CJ was arrested for the Peachtree Creek greenway crime - not in Brookhaven, but down in Midtown, near Piedmont Park.

- a video of the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing showed a man in a white tank top (probably unrelated to KJ’s case, but worth mentioning, imo)

So, if the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing was (for some reason) out of jail and in midtown on 7/27 and 7/28, he would certainly be somebody I think LE should look at. But again, it would be a moot point if he was in Dekalb Co. Jail at the time.

I’m not very good at sleuthing that kind of info. Does anybody know how to determine whether CJ was out on bail/bond at the time Katie was killed (after initially being denied bond on 6/11)? Tia

All pure speculation.
I looked at this yesterday and wondered the same thing. If he was out, by chance, I'd say he would definitely be worth looking at.

I'm new here but am following this thread because Katie and Bowie's murders haunt me. As a longtime intown Atlanta resident, I'm used to Atlanta crime -- was robbed twice, once at gunpoint, years ago in Inman Park/ATL -- but immediately knew that Katie and Bowie's murders were very different.

Those who say it's possible Katie couldn't scream if surprised are probably right. Many years ago, I walked through a grassy park-like area leading to Inman Park's MARTA station parking lot. Although it was an early December evening, it was dark. A young man, seemingly coming out of nowhere, hit me in the back of the head with rock. I was shocked and tried to scream but no sound came out..... Have you ever woken from a bad dream and noticed you are trying to scream as you wake but are seemingly paralyzed? It's exactly like that.

I drive past Piedmont Park's community memorial site as I travel to and from work each day. I pray for Katie, Bowie, Emma, and Katie's mother each time I do.

Hi Lewiston, welcome!

I am glad that you are here.

I'm so sorry for both of your experiences. Terrifying. And shows how quickly and randomly something can happen.

Just trying to catch up here. If the Rainbow Crosswalk picture toward Caribou Coffee is the last picture of Katie alive, then are we to believe her direction of travel was up Piedmont Ave NE to the 11th St NE entrance into the park? If not, wouldn’t we have a picture of her crossing to 10th St towards the Flying Biscuit?

Entering at 11th St and walking towards the Charles Allen gate seems like a 15-20 min walk at a leisure pace.

Have I missed this before, or is it bad reporting?

Police continue search for witnesses in fatal park stabbing

Police were called to the crime scene around 1:10 a.m. after it was reported a person was being stabbed. Janness and her dog were found dead, each with multiple stab wounds.

Are you referencing what we have heard from Emma's 911 call vs the specificity of "being stabbed"? If so, I don't think there has been anything official stating stabbed - mutilated, disfigured, yes. And Emma's interview where she says Katie's throat was slashed. However parts of the 911 call were redacted, so we don't know what, if anything, was said.

Are you referencing what we have heard from Emma's 911 call vs the specificity of "being stabbed"? If so, I don't think there has been anything official stating stabbed - mutilated, disfigured, yes. And Emma's interview where she says Katie's throat was slashed. However parts of the 911 call were redacted, so we don't know what, if anything, was said.
I figured it was just a poorly worded article, but I wanted to make sure there was not a call to police (prior to Emma's) about a stabbing taking place.

I'm getting caught up after a couple of days, and it really seems like most of what we think we know about the events of that night come from Emma's dad, and most of that was wrong. I'm not saying he did that on purpose; I think he was just talking and possibly mixing up some things Emma had said to him. (He was the one who said the police told him that Bowie might have DNA on him, and that's the one thing I hope he was right about)

So we know that Katie and Bowie were seen in the rainbow crosswalk about 12:07/12:09. What time did Emma call 911? I believe it was approximately one hour later, but I don't remember the exact time.

Someone here said that Emma was not the first person to call 911. Has anyone else heard that? Do we know what time the other person called?

Early reports say both were stabbed. Has anyone heard different? (and I'm including 'throat slashed' as being stabbed)

With nothing else to narrow the timeframe, it looks like there was a whole hour in which Katie and Bowie could have been killed. Because we don't know if there were any witnesses, or what they saw.

I JUST WANT JUSTICE FOR KATIE AND BOWIE. This one just hits me hard. I don't know if it's because Katie reminds me of someone I know, or because I have a pittie (that I often walk after dark because it's hot here in Savannah in the summer), or because I used to live in Atlanta -- and although I wasn't in Midtown, I was there often enough for it to sting a little bit when people talk about some of the businesses over there -- like, that was my Caribou Coffee location. How could something so awful happen over by where I used to get coffee and a muffin every day, you know?

Something that peaks my curiosity is the fact that the police released photos of the witnesses and then subsequently released short video clips of each,so why only post the photo of Katie and not the video as well?It leads me to wonder if they see someone on video that’s suspicious but maybe can’t identify that individual.Maybe the various witnesses were seen on camera with that individual at any given time and wants information on what they observed from that person…just a thought and I could be completely wrong.

It’s truly mind boggling and just freaky to think about,I’m born and raised in Atlanta and to think of how,as a youth, we would be out at the park or Grady stadium(I’m aware the name has since changed) super late without a care,or even just walking in areas,through cuts and dark streets and the thought never crossed the minds of me or my friends that danger could be lurking.Being comfortable is a great feeling but can be to our detriment which is sad!

@user1123 hi, can you please provide us a link citing there was another, earlier 911 call prior to Emma's? It has lead to.some confusion and would help us all clarify. Thanks.

The first 911 call was actually another person walking through the park, her partner was the second call shortly after. The first call is not public yet for some reason.

I did not know this either. How did you discover this?

Can you provide a link for this? thanks, I have brain fog.

Was there a response to this?

The flowers and card are from the first 911 caller the second 911 caller was Emma. This info was found via twitter so it might not be accurate.

My understanding is that the flowers and the note came from the person who Emma was talking to on her 911 call -- the guy to whom she says "that was my @#$%ing girlfriend!" I can't make myself listen to the call, so I don't know if he said he called first, but my impression has been that he came upon the scene just as Emma was calling. Can anyone who has heard the call clarify?

Yeah, I don’t recall seeing any statement directly attributed to LE that Katie was stabbed.

Last edited:
From CBS46 Reporter Hayley Mason:

NEW: The family of Katie Janness' girlfriend says her body was turned over to them today from the medical examiner. They are now preparing for her cremation at a Fayetteville funeral home and will announce memorial plans soon. The dog Bowie's body hasn't been returned yet.
@cbs46

8:03 PM · Aug 10, 2021·

From an investigation standpoint, I think this is very encouraging. The MEs office had her for two full weeks.Very thorough and hopeful that there is still a lot they can and will be doing.

The only one that has caught my attention is the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing back in early June (6/5, I think). I remember thinking how senseless it was. But it may not be relevant at all to Katie’s case - as the suspect in the greenway stabbing case (JC) was denied bond on 6/11 - so I am assuming he was still in the Dekalb County jail when Katie was killed. But I don’t know how to check..

One would not think that a suspect who had recently randomly stabbed a pregnant woman while she was walking on a local greenway trail with her 3 year old son, - and who had 12 previous arrests in the state of GA, - and who was out on bail for two prior offenses at the time of the greenway trail stabbing - would have been free and out on the streets of ATL 6 weeks later and near Piedmont Park when Katie was murdered - but stranger things have happened.

Imo, the similarities and pertinent info between the two cases include:

-both stabbings took place in an urban park, on a paved trail/road (and both victims were technically not alone)

-both stabbings appear to have been for no apparent reason whatsoever

-police said they thought the greenway trail stabbing suspect was mentally ill and homeless

-the judge in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing felt that the subject was a risk to the community

-police in the Peachtree Creek greenway case said that the suspect (CJ), confessed

-CJ was arrested for the Peachtree Creek greenway crime - not in Brookhaven, but down in Midtown, near Piedmont Park.

- a video of the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing showed a man in a white tank top (probably unrelated to KJ’s case, but worth mentioning, imo)

So, if the suspect in the Peachtree Creek greenway trail stabbing was (for some reason) out of jail and in midtown on 7/27 and 7/28, he would certainly be somebody I think LE should look at. But again, it would be a moot point if he was in Dekalb Co. Jail at the time.

I’m not very good at sleuthing that kind of info. Does anybody know how to determine whether CJ was out on bail/bond at the time Katie was killed (after initially being denied bond on 6/11)? Tia

All pure speculation.

I know nothing about the other case you’re referring to and I think your thoughts here are very interesting.
The one thing I wonder is...if the suspect (CJ) in the other attack confessed, why in the world would they be let out of jail. I know weird things happen in the courts sometimes.

The flowers and card are from the first 911 caller the second 911 caller was Emma. This info was found via twitter so it might not be accurate.

The guy who tweeted that is not a reporter. He states that a friend of his told him a card left at the scene mentioned (was from) the 911 caller, and that he (the tweeter) did not see the card himself.

This is like triple hearsay so I do not know why you have been stating it like it's fact. It may eventually prove to be true, but we have nothing to validate it right now.

Eta- I really want to emphasize to everyone -- based on the above, we don't have anything indicating there was another ("first") 911 call other than Emma's. There has been discussion and speculation based on this and I would hate for the thread to go sideways based on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288