GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Counttrarian

Counttrarian Well-Known Member

The inside the park 10th Street path via the small entrance further on 10th St. is the route I believed she may have taken. The reason that seems uncertain now is that they have not released a photo of Katie crossing rainbow intersection 10th/Piedmont St.
    But let's presume she crossed at some point there or further North on Piedmont, to entrances on 11th or the half 12th near the condos or by Willy's. This could still put her onto that path. That area behind condo to the small entrance has both homeless/transients and alcohol/drug users. She or Bowie could have disturbed or caught the attention of someone there. They could have followed her up the path as she walked towards Charles Allen. I believe she was found near a tree by near the park lamp by Charles Allen where it intersects that trail. So, someone could have come from behind on that trail (as she was going toward the lamp instinctually) or was ahead nearer to bathroom room area.
    I attached a photo that shows; known areas Katie was seen alive, possible entries and path highlighted, known possible witness locations and possible danger areas.
    ALL IMHO and conjecture

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021

2. user1123

user1123 Well-Known Member

It was open the very next morning. Not roped off or anything just back to how it was, but with flowers at the entrance and where she was found. It was very bizarre in my opinion. I expected it to be closed off.

3. Quest701

Quest701 Well-Known Member

I think the killer is on camera somewhere too! Agreed.

And I don’t know, the act was so depraved that it goes beyond an impulsive slaying. I think that’s EXACTLY how someone looking to kill to fulfill some bizarre instinct would do it...They’d lie in wait. The public nature of it could be more of a thrill.

Also, wouldn’t a person who had beef with her also assume the same risks of getting caught? It just doesn’t make sense on so many levels that it was a brutal killing borne from bad blood or a distant preoccupation with Katie given the inconvenience of timing etc. While near her home, it wasn’t like she was shot while getting the morning newspaper (THAT would seem personal). The killing of the dog too...It’s such a strange and abnormally gruesome way to kill someone that it seems likely that the killer was in it for the thrill. I could be wrong though.

4. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

Speculation:
    I’ve been trying to think of different scenarios that will make some of the puzzle pieces fit. The main puzzle piece I’m thinking of is how on earth did this happen where she was located out in the open with a great probability of people being around. It seems like the killer spent some time committing this murder.

Could they have been killed somewhere else and somehow dropped off where they were found? I know it sounds crazy and unlikely but it also seems unlikely that a woman and her dog were killed where they were found, and no one was close enough to see or hear.

So, could Katie and Bowie have been attacked/abducted closer to Caribou Coffee?
    One scenario that comes to mind is what SK Brandon Lavergne did when he killed Mickey Schunick. He bumped her Bike to disable her and then put her in his truck.
    The killer could have hit Bowie with a vehicle and then offered to drive them to pets are people too, the 24 hour vet nearby.

5. Dub64

Dub64 Active Member

IMO the likelihood of the attack being perpetuated by a transient is slim. Yes, blades are the weapon of choice for some in the homeless population but that could be due to low maintenance and convenience. Doesn't this seem more random, and skilled, like an inhuman that enjoyed their work. Not afraid of Bowie because they may have previous experience in terrorizing dogs, animals? As previously stated about the behavioral science unit being asked to assist, due to the brutality that APD eluded to, its imperative to Know Thine Enemy.

6. Counttrarian

Quite possible, but I am not so sure the behavioral science unit being asked to assist has been established. A hard drug user/dealer or a transient seems a much simpler explanation than a homicidal maniac or serial killer lying in wait.

7. Aubie007

Aubie007 Well-Known Member

I guess we must consider the caliber of the other people hanging out in this park at that hour and what their motives for being there might’ve been.

In other words, there may have been witnesses, but they are afraid to come forward for fear of disclosing their own business in the park at 12-1AM.

8. tara83

tara83 Well-Known Member

I don't think a hard drug user/addict would have had the ability or sense to clean themselves up and stay hidden this long.

9. Shellinaya

Shellinaya Well-Known Member

I check local news every day and there's been nothing but silence, so it's very difficult to tell if anything is happening with this case.

HulaMum, DobbyRN, misgrn and 4 others like this.
  10. Dub64

Dub64 Active Member

It's difficult to envision that anyone could move about afterwards without a change of clothing, transportation or nearby living quarters.

11. FonescaFan

FonescaFan Well-Known Member

12. Aubie007

Aubie007 Well-Known Member

This says 1 of the 7 witnesses have come forward…who am I forgetting? The 3 ladies, cane guy, jogger (it’s reported that he’s the 1), hoodie guy…is the 7th the person heard in the background of Emma’s 911 call? Cause that would be weird if a person who witnessed the body hasn’t come forward or didn’t stick around…?

or is that a mistake in reporting?

13. Shellinaya

Shellinaya Well-Known Member

If that is the source of a "first" 911 call that was not Emma it's not a real source, just talk.

The details of the night and the crime are getting muddier, not more clear.

I wish there would be some kind of update from LE, even just to clear some things up. The one thing Nancy Grace's podcast got right was her guest said that if this was a random attack in the park, and not someone the victim knew who was doing this to her for some reason, then there is a "maniac" out there and we should all be scared because anyone could be next. That warrants some kind of public communication from LE, IMO.

I'm hardly taking my dog to any parks anymore. I just don't feel comfortable going where we used to go all the time, like wooded areas, Silver Comet Trail, etc., because of this horrible crime. The public needs some update on this.

14. FonescaFan

FonescaFan Well-Known Member

I believe there are two joggers— Beltline guy in teal shirt, and then headlamp guy at park gate. IMO.

15. Counttrarian

You're correct:
    3 Ladies (as reported by the media) I believe are actually 2 females and a male
    1 Hoodie guy
    1 Cane guy
    1 Jogger
    So that leaves us either with someone unknown, the 911 call witness, or sloppy reporting (including jogger twice?)

The puzzling one is why the "3 ladies" haven't come forward, they seem in the clear time and appearance wise. Not to say the others were involved but may be more the type not to want to get involved with LE or follow the media.

16. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

we did question whether there were two different runners in blue shirts.

17. Counttrarian

Some here questioned it but it is def. the same person, the Beltline camera is sharper and at a better vantage point that's all.

Razz, SleepyLabRat, misgrn and 5 others like this.
  18. Quell

Quell Well-Known Member

@FonsecaFan I believe you are correct re:
    2 joggers and I believe only one so far has come forward (the other cld have come forward but media hasn't reported ... that I have seen)

19. Counttrarian

He is the same jogger shown at multiple locations.
    APD initially released video images captured by Charles Allen entrance, and then added some from the Beltline. (A good job of examining other video by LE)
    UPDATE: Potential witness in Katherine Janness murder at Piedmont Park has come forward - Atlanta Intown

20. arfvonarf

arfvonarf Member

I saw a guy resembling “cane guy” walking literally right past the Willys by Piedmont/12th last week. He had a cane.

Could be a total coincidence but I assumed it was the same guy and he may be homeless and lived in area. I assumed police made contact and interviewed many of the “regulars” who live in the park.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.