GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I said earlier still seems like the most likely scenario to me, the ME mentioned that injuries to the face, neck, and torso were the cause of death. A neck fracture/spinal cord injury could lead to paralysis and death.
Being stabbed in the neck can also be considered an injury to the neck that contributes to death.

Last edited:
Yes. I think she walked from the crosswalk directly to the park. I don't think it really matters which path she took, other than to see if any video captured her or someone following her. Considering a somewhat leisurely walk, with the dog stopping to sniff anything and everything, that would put her at the Charles Allen gate around 12:30 a.m. The jogger is there at 12:46. I think the attack occurred in-between those times. The jogger has talked to police. I'd love to know what he told them.
I might be alone in this, but I really don't think the jogger who came forward the day LE released his pictures is the same jogger as who ran in and out of the Charles Allen gate, whose images were released days earlier. The reporting has been unclear, imo. Are there any timestamps when this jogger was on the beltway (or wherever he was)?

Edit: According to one article linked ahead, it sounds like the two joggers are, indeed, the same.

Last edited:
I think there is something we are not privy to something significant that would make sense of a lot of the things that do not make sense. If they were killed where they were found why were they that far apart? The scene seemed relatively undisturbed when they released it the next day anyone could’ve walked over the spot where they were found. When Emma arrived and yelled there were people there. The spot where Katie was found was right in the open there. I don’t think anyone driving down the street could’ve seen it but anyone in the park or possibly walking down 10th St. could’ve seen or heard something. And this was not a speedy crime. This took a little while.
And, descriptions of where Bowie was we would see him in the video of the runner running most likely.

no matter if they were killed where they were found or somewhere else this seems like a complicated crime and planned in advance. The mayor police chief and DA have all sad things about this crime that indicate it is unusual, different, not like something investigators have seen before….

I might be alone in this, but I really don't think the jogger who came forward the day LE released his pictures is the same jogger as who ran in and out of the Charles Allen gate, whose images were released days earlier. The reporting has been unclear, imo. Are there any timestamps when this jogger was on the beltway (or wherever he was)?
I also think there are two joggers.

No one has doubted the FBI is involved in the investigation this has been known since the Police Chief announced it and his reasons why. The question is it because of a very specific reason related to the crime or more generally because APD is asking for help in anything high profile out of the ordinary given their case load and the rocketing murder rate in Atlanta (and threats of succession from their ritziest neighborhood).
We have no specific confirmation of what the FBI's role has been. So imho jumping to conclusions that it is because it is a serial killer or hate crime is premature (and the Mayor in fact said there had been is no evidence to support such yet).

If they thought it was a hate crime, the Hate Crimes Unit would have been called. They weren't. It's the Behavioral Analysis Unit. I haven't had more time to figure out where I learned that, but I know it was a question I was trying for days to answer, and one day I did -- I just don't remember where/how. I wouldn't be saying it definitively if I hadn't proven it to myself. I honestly think some articles have been taken down. Maybe it was in the same story that they had to pull because Michael Seidan said something unconfirmed.

I might be alone in this, but I really don't think the jogger who came forward the day LE released his pictures is the same jogger as who ran in and out of the Charles Allen gate, whose images were released days earlier. The reporting has been unclear, imo.

I also think there are two joggers.

Both the APD and the multiple media media sources have reported it is the same person and he cooperated with law enforcement (I posted link previously). Of course they and I could be wrong, but why would one believe otherwise given the evidence for and no evidence to the contrary?

The Behavioral Analysis Unit, which I keep accidentally misnaming as the Behavioral Sciences Unit.

I can't remember if it was you who was trying to look back for a reference on this, but personality I cannot remember hearing or reading anything about what department within the FBI is involved. If anything, I have only read variations of '[APD / FBI] is not commenting on how the FBI is assisting in this case'.

Unless/until we can find verification , please post this as opinion only.

I can't remember if it was you who was trying to look back for a reference on this, but personality I cannot remember hearing or reading anything about what department within the FBI is involved. If anything, I have only read variations of '[APD / FBI] is not commenting on how the FBI is assisting in this case'.

Unless/until we can find verification , please post this as opinion only.
It's entirely possible that the following has been repeated out of context by other sources which is leading to possible misinterpretation.
"..said CBS46 crime scene expert Sheryl "Mac" McCollum.
She is not involved in the investigation but offered insight and expertise to analyze the case. "It sounds to me like it was a blitz attack. It just happened quick, she never even saw the person coming is what it appears," she said.
McCollum commended APD's choice of requesting the FBI.
"They’ve got profilers, they’ve got a behavioral unit, they can tell us a lot about this killer. The location, what they notice, what they saw," she said. "Was she posed in some way? Where exactly was she stabbed? All of those things are going to matter to the FBI.”"

It's entirely possible that the following has been repeated out of context by other sources which is leading to possible misinterpretation.
"..said CBS46 crime scene expert Sheryl "Mac" McCollum.
She is not involved in the investigation but offered insight and expertise to analyze the case. "It sounds to me like it was a blitz attack. It just happened quick, she never even saw the person coming is what it appears," she said.
McCollum commended APD's choice of requesting the FBI.
"They’ve got profilers, they’ve got a behavioral unit, they can tell us a lot about this killer. The location, what they notice, what they saw," she said. "Was she posed in some way? Where exactly was she stabbed? All of those things are going to matter to the FBI.”"

Right. That's about as close as I can piece together. It very may well be the BAU. But we don't know and shouldn't state as fact (I know that you aren't asserting it as fact). Same goes for the media.

No one has doubted the FBI is involved in the investigation this has been known since the Police Chief announced it and his reasons why. The question is it because of a very specific reason related to the crime or more generally because APD is asking for help in anything high profile out of the ordinary given their case load and the rocketing murder rate in Atlanta (and threats of succession from their ritziest neighborhood).
We have no specific confirmation of what the FBI's role has been. So imho jumping to conclusions that it is because it is a serial killer or hate crime is premature (and the Mayor in fact said there had been is no evidence to support such yet).
I think I missed the comment you were responding too, therefore missing exactly what you were questioning as far as the FBI involvement. I see where you’re coming from now.

Both the APD and the multiple media media sources have reported it is the same person and he cooperated with law enforcement (I posted link previously). Of course they and I could be wrong, but why would one believe otherwise given the evidence for and no evidence to the contrary?
Imo The media reports I’ve read are unclear. This one states that a jogger who’s video was released on Friday came forward. This could be interpreted as a different jogger than the One in the still photo released earlier.
Oops, I forgot to add the link. Potential Piedmont Park stabbing witness comes forward, is cooperating, police say

Could it be that we’re not seeing pictures of them crossing at Charles Allen because the attacker/suspected attacker is also in those photos?
The only Charles Allen photos we have are from at or near the entrance so there is no reason to believe there are views from further inside that entrance where Katie and Bowie likely were.
Please see location of the cameras (circled), which further supports that.

Attachments

• cag.JPG
    cag.JPG
    128.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I'm thinking two joggers as well.

Could it be that we’re not seeing pictures of them crossing at Charles Allen because the attacker/suspected attacker is also in those photos?
You mean the same camera that got the video of the jogger running in and out of the park?
I think that is possible but if that were the case I feel like we would know about it because we either had an arrest or a description of a person they were looking for.

Imo The media reports I’ve read are unclear. This one states that a jogger who’s video was released on Friday came forward. This could be interpreted as a different jogger than the One in the still photo released earlier.
Oops, I forgot to add the link. Potential Piedmont Park stabbing witness comes forward, is cooperating, police say
Understandable from that article. It may be because FOX5 Atlanta's coverage has been a little shaky. Please see below for imho a better source .

"August 07, 2021 at 9:41 am EDT
By WSBTV.com News Staff
ATLANTA — Atlanta police say they have identified and spoken with a potential witness to the Piedmont Park stabbing after releasing new photos Friday morning.
“The jogger shown in the previously released video clip and still photos has come forward. Homicide detectives have been speaking with him and he is cooperative,” Atlanta police said Friday.""

Last edited:
Understandable from that article. It may be because FOX5 Atlanta's coverage has been a little shaky. Please see below for imho a better source .

By WSBTV.com News Staff
ATLANTA — Atlanta police say they have identified and spoken with a potential witness to the Piedmont Park stabbing after releasing new photos Friday morning.
“The jogger shown in the previously released video clip and still photos has come forward. Homicide detectives have been speaking with him and he is cooperative,” Atlanta police said Friday.""
Okay, that is the first time I've seen it worded in that specific of terms. Thank you! So all they have said is he did not see the murder, right? So that doesn't necessarily say he didn't see the bodies. I can't believe he wouldn't have seen something if they were there then.

By WSBTV.com News Staff
This is an article from 11 alive:
Piedmont Park stabbing investigation Atlanta Police new photos | 11alive.com

Police hope to speak with people who were near Piedmont Park during overnight hours when stabbing happened
One jogger has already come forward to talk with police.

All of the articles I have looked at that talk about the jogger coming forward have photos of the jogger from the video that we can see the tattoos. They don’t use photos from the first set of possible witnesses that includes the video of the jogger running in and out of the park quickly
That might mean some thing or it might not.

Last edited:
Okay, that is the first time I've seen it worded in that specific of terms. Thank you! So all they have said is he did not see the murder, right? So that doesn't necessarily say he didn't see the bodies. I can't believe he wouldn't have seen something if they were there then.
IIRC I don't believe they've released anything of the content of what he has said, just that he was being "cooperative", which means there is the possibility that he said he saw/didn't witness the murder, saw/didn't see bodies, see/didn't see anyone else in the vicinity (or technically, however unlikely, incriminated himself as the murderer).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member