GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SleepyLabRat

SleepyLabRat Well-Known Member

I think I found it. I think you mentioned a few pages back that you thought it was an interview transcript and it was. It’s long, so I’m also adding a screenshot of the relevant section.
    CNN.com - Transcripts

Attached Files:

2. Aubie007

Aubie007 Well-Known Member

I think there is only 1 jogger….but I’m really curious where the camera/residence that captured the 2nd picture of him is located.

We could reasonably assume Katie did not pass by, regardless.

3. cujenn81

cujenn81 Well-Known Member

In the press conference linked below, US Attorney Kurt Erskine introduces himself and Assistant Supervisory Agent-in-Charge Philip Wislar. ASAC agents are highly ranked field agents — second only to the Agent-in-Charge. It appears Agent Wislar is based out of Savannah. ATL has its own field office and agents, which leads me to believe that he was specifically assigned to this case for a reason.

Piedmont Park stabbing investigation | Fulton DA, federal officials speak on | 11alive.com

4. TL4S

TL4S Well-Known Member

I thought I had seen this from a different source, but here's one. Not sure if there is a LE source for it...

Police continue search for witnesses in fatal Atlanta park stabbing

Atlanta police said late Friday the jogger had not witnessed the crime.

5. Counttrarian

Counttrarian Well-Known Member

Good catch, so if we believe that article it appears there might not be a known witness yet.
    (though the 911 person in the background with Emma is pretty interesting)

Also nice, BGGS's memory has been vindicated. Per posting 541 above, we finally have a source for the FBI Behavioral (Analysis) Unit potentially being involved--Vincent Velazquez, a retired APD homicide detective, "Well, I think they are just providing the resources. The F.B.I. does not investigate homicide, as a statute. But I know from my sources that the Behavioral Analysis Unit for Quantico is assisting in trying to create a profile of who this person may be."
    His interview per the transcript seemed somewhat sensationalist, but let's presume his sources are in the APD(?)
    (Not that it is relevant to this case but he is prob. incorrect about the FBI not investigating homicides (by statute/law), in 1965 Congress passed a law that included investigations deaths of federal officials, especially by homicide, within FBI jurisdiction.)

As for the follow up pictures of the jogger that were later released, they were from the Beltline, see attachments for comparison. (note wall, sidewalk, garbage cans and camera positioning)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
  6. Counttrarian

Counttrarian Well-Known Member

It would be nice if the APD did a better job of updating the public instead of us having to piece it all together (not everyone has the luxury of multiple sleuths like here : )

This is the relevant page for updates on their site regarding this case from them:
    News List | Atlanta Police Department

To be fair it looks like they might be a bit overwhelmed:
    News | Atlanta Police Department

7. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Aug 12 2021
    PETA official hopes $20,000 reward will help in Piedmont Park murder case
    ''Rickman said a metro Atlanta area PETA donor offered to match that money.

"We're really hopeful that doubling the reward will help get a break in this case. $20,000 is quite a bit of money and a lot of folks are hurting right now and could really use that financial assistance," said Rickman. "We would be more than happy to part with that money if someone can give some information that would solve this case."

Anyone with information in the case should contact Atlanta Police Homicide at 404-546-4235 or Crimestoppers at 404-577-TIPS.''

8. arfvonarf

arfvonarf Member

They need to increase the reward significantly.

$10k from the city doesn’t seem like nearly enough.

A GoFNdMe would probably raise 10x that easily.

DobbyRN, FonescaFan, dotr and 5 others like this.
  9. AtlantaBourne

AtlantaBourne Well-Known Member

Right, TL4S & this report is just a summary released to the public/MSM.
    The wording in this report makes me wonder if a knife was used. Sharp force injuries ? I've never seen that term used to describe a stabbing. Hopefully someone can enlighten me. Is that the normal phrase used for stabbing in a coroner's report? Is this why LE has stated this is an unusual case? Possibly they are not certain what type of weapon was used?

10. AtlantaBourne

Homeless loitering is huge in Atlanta. My job has me travel to Midtown 4 to 5 days a week to W. Peachtree & North Avenue..probably 1-1 1/2 miles from Piedmont Park. I see tent cities under the bridges at the downtown connector near the State Capitol, another tent city on the south side of town off of I-75 South next to an old cemetary. There are usually people standing at exit and entrance ramps from/to the city to the connector, people sleeping on sidewalks right next to the street in the middle of the day, or on side streets next to office bldgs. Alot of people just wandering around or hanging around public transportation areas & the like. Also these people rent the electric skooters & bikes & you see them discarded everywhere...on the side of the expressway or even laying in the street. There are 2 units that work w/law enforcement to attempt to help these people. LE even has a '311' number to call to report them.

11. AtlantaBourne

I think Katie & Bowie got to Henry's at 10th St. & Juniper St. around 11:30 & left closer to midnight. In Emma's interview w/11alive she wasn't really sure about the times. She was busy training new people & her normal job. After checking street view maps, I have decided when they crossed 10th from the SW corner to the SE corner (where Caribou Coffee is), they continued forward up Piedmont toward 12th St. IMO they crossed Piedmont at 11th St. & then I noticed a narrow straight st. that is named 12th St. but not connected to the main 12th St that deadends into the main entrance to the park. This street is about 100 yrds long & has nice residence bldgs on each side 4 floors high. I couldn't locate any cameras on this street. When you get to the end of this st. you can walk right into the park. There is a pet waste station there & a very good view of the meadow area sloping down. You can see all the walk paths. If you take the path to the right you will have to walk up alot of concrete steps & come out of the park at 10th St & Myrtle. If you go immediately to the left that path goes behind Willy's restaurant to the 12 St/Piedmont entrance. IMO this is what Emma meant when she stated Katie knew the area well, all the side streets, also when she stated Katie would walk from 10th to 12th or visa versa. This almost alley, 12th St. may have been the way they would go...quiet, almost no vehicle traffic & a straight shot into the park.

foragerhan, HulaMum, arich24 and 10 others like this.
  12. Shellinaya

Shellinaya Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I don't know how you all find these things.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Bootsctr and dotr like this.
  13. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if anyone posted this:
    <snipped & BBM>

Katie Janness, 40, was walking her dog, Bowie, in the city's Piedmont Park after midnight July 28 when someone attacked and killed them both, police said. They were found dead around 1:10 a.m., each with multiple stab wounds.

Atlanta stabbing deaths of dog owner, pet remain unsolved despite $20K in reward offers

Marg from Oz, NoSI, Bootsctr and 9 others like this.
  14. DobbyRN

DobbyRN Well-Known Member

Every day I check the news hoping for a break in this case. I want justice for Katie and Bowie with all of my heart!!!

15. TL4S

TL4S Well-Known Member

I can only assume the jogger ran east on 10th, was captured on camera going in and out of the Charles Allen gate around 12:46, continued east on 10th, then turned north/northwest to run on the Beltline Trail, where he was captured again on camera. This is my guess since we don't have a time stamp for the Beltline photos (that I'm aware of).

I have never thought the jogger coming out of the gate seemed like he'd seen anything to spook him in those 41 seconds, but now, knowing he also chose to run the Beltline, I'm even more convinced he saw nothing to make him avoid the park.

Between the entrance lighting, the jogger's headlamp, Bowie reportedly visible from the gate, and Katie visible to the 911 bystander (and Emma, but she was actively looking for her), I am still thinking the bodies were not yet there at 12:46. JMO

All that said, I will acknowledge that if they were behind the bathroom, and the jogger didn't go that far in, maybe he missed it. But Emma apparently saw Bowie from the gate, so...

Last edited: Aug 13, 2021
    Marg from Oz, Bootsctr, Razz and 3 others like this.
  16. BGGS

BGGS Well-Known Member

Same and same!

17. TL4S

TL4S Well-Known Member

From the first link:

The victim and her dog were killed inside the park.

I've assumed they were killed where they were found, but does anyone local know if other areas of the park were searched?

18. arfvonarf

arfvonarf Member

@AtlantaBourne I totally agree this is a possibility, and cannot be ruled out.

That being said, as someone who lives near Katie, and does the same walk with dogs often, I really dont think she would go this way--at least I wouldn't. The 12th street lane that goes directly into the park is not well lit, it's realllly secluded. The options once you enter the park are basically go to the right aka "double back to an easier entrance (10th/Myrtle)" or to the left which connects you to the more commonly used 12th street entrance.

I am having a hard time thinking that anyone would want to "go left" (or enter PP through the 12th street bridge entrance) because the only paths are directly on the lake which is pretty during the daytime, but super dark at night and just sketchy overall. I wouldn't want to do it as a fit man with dogs--I don't really think she would want to add an extra mile to her walk, through a sketchier part of the park after already having walked probably 2 miles at that point in the night (12AM.)

The resting spot of Bowie and Katie also lead me to believe she was closer to 10th street originally--not coming from the larger "road" that starts at 12the entrance and runs next to the Lake.

19. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

20. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.