GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 Jul 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
How in the he** is the killer's DNA not on Bowie? Do we know for certain how the dog was killed? Maybe the killer and the dog never actually engaged close up, despite everyone's belief the dog tried to protect Katie. Very strange...

Just saw this on Twitter. Anyone know what it's in reference to? No one has been ruled out?! What does that mean?!

Hayley Mason
@HayleyMasonTV

NEW: Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant tells me no one has been ruled out as a suspect in the Piedmont Park murder case. He says the case is still wide open and active. The department has faced challenges accessing video from park cameras and is still working to recover images.
It has been 5+weeks and they are still trying to access video from the cameras in the park. I know the cameras were old but presumably at one time they were able to record footage that could be watched. I sure hope there’s something usable on those cameras but what if there is not and what if they are never able to view the footage? You would think that with the FBI’s help they would’ve been able to view the footage in five weeks if it were possible.
If there is no DNA or if they don’t know if the DNA they have belongs to the killer and they are waiting until they can view the camera footage does this mean the killer did not leave any other evidence?
I am not feeling hopeful tonight.
I hoped that by now we would know something more like the motive or anything that would give us an idea how likely this person is to strike again and how soon. I literally walk backwards sometimes when I’m walking my dog! And, I catch myself giving the side eye to absolutely everybody even little old ladies.

Just saw this on Twitter. Anyone know what it's in reference to? No one has been ruled out?! What does that mean?!

Hayley Mason
@HayleyMasonTV

NEW: Atlanta Police Chief Rodney Bryant tells me no one has been ruled out as a suspect in the Piedmont Park murder case. He says the case is still wide open and active. The department has faced challenges accessing video from park cameras and is still working to recover images.

My interpretation of this is that it's a pointed message directed at a specific individual (or individuals, I suppose) who the public might assume has been cleared. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
How in the he** is the killer's DNA not on Bowie? Do we know for certain how the dog was killed? Maybe the killer and the dog never actually engaged close up, despite everyone's belief the dog tried to protect Katie. Very strange...
Very strange indeed. Almost seems like they were both incapacitated at the very same moment. If one of them was attacked first you think the other one would have been likely to cause an injury that would yield DNA.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
That is strange timing. I do have to say, in the Delphi, IN double murder case, it has been debated about this issue of family being cleared. Yet even as soon as a few months back, LE stated that "nobody is cleared." He said they don't clear anybody until the suspect is found guilty.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is strange timing. I do have to say, in the Delphi, IN double murder case, it has been debated about this issue of family being cleared. Yet even as soon as a few months back, LE stated that "nobody is cleared." He said they don't clear anybody until the suspect is found guilty.
It just seems like if someone had an alibi that checked out, they would be able to clear them before they have an actual suspect.

Some things about this case remind me so much of Delphi. The victims ages were different and one was in the city and the other was rural. But, The apparent unusualness and violence of the scenes as well as the apparent lack of evidence and DNA.
Also, there is the boldness of both crimes. both were out in the open where there would likely be someone who could hear screams.

Wait, how do we know that the killer's DNA is not on Bowie?! Has that been reported/confirmed??

On the issue of DNA, they may have a useable sample or samples but there is no match in the system for a known suspect. In an earlier thread it was discussed when and on which crimes Georgia collects (or doesn't collect ) DNA from arrestees. Iirc misdemeanor arrests (and maybe even some convictions?) don't allow DNA samples to be collected, and iirc again there might be certain felonies that can only take an individual's DNA if convicted.

All of this to point our that just because we aren't seeing visible progress and don't have an arrest doesn't mean no DNA.

Is anyone aware of any crimes committed recently where genetic genealogy has been used to successfully help identify a suspect? I only hear about cold cases that have been solved this way.

This aired on Channel46 news earlier tonight as part of the Q&A re. opening a new precinct in Buckhead...
""One of the worst recent crimes still unsolved is the brutal slaying of Katie Janness and her dog Bowie inside Piedmont Park.

“Some cases take longer than others to resolve but we get there,” Bryant said. He says detectives have not ruled out any suspects in the case. CBS46 asked Bryant if he is concerned about how long it's taken so long to try to make an arrest.

“I’m not at the point of concern because I know that the team is on it and have been working diligently, and we continue to get calls from people in the community that have been beneficial to us,” Bryant said.""
3 points stand out to me...1st, some cases take longer...tells me they have something that they are building on, but for some reason it's a slow process to resolve. 2nd, no one has been ruled out...tells me they don't have witnesses or relevant video and either no DNA match or no DNA. IMOO any DNA would at least rule out some in regards to gender. 3rd, calls from people in the community...tells me they feel the suspect is still in the area or was in the community until the murders occurred.

Last edited:

Hayley Mason
@HayleyMasonTV

Found the video with this story, which doesn't start until 2:13

Atlanta Police to open new precinct focusing on Buckhead

If what she says is true, that means the police consider that no one has been ruled out as the possible murderer, (including - presumably - people very close to the victim, or anyone else.)

I also agree that might be a statement directed at someone... but they didn't broadcast the police actually saying it. Also I didn't feel the police officer sounded all that hopeful and not at all specific. Just MO

Last edited:

IMO, since no one was a witness to the actual murder, we don't know how Bowie reacted to the killer, or what he did with the killer, or if he knew the killer. There have been a lot of assumptions made in this case and the big one is that Bowie attacked the killer. I don't think anyone knows that for sure. There could be a few reasons Bowie did not attack the killer. We don't even know if Bowie was trained, or how well trained, if for instance someone told him to sit or stay, or run.

To put things into perspective…APD has 16 homicide detectives. There were 157 homicides last year and more than 100 homicides this year already. If you only use 2020/2021, each detective has about 16 cases.

Their jobs don’t stop after an arrest. They have to prepare for court and may be tied up (on the stand) for days. They may have had to travel to work this case as well. I’d bet they’ve been up to Michigan to speak with Katie’s family. As far as the camera situation, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes with that. For example, if a company that can get data off the cameras, isn’t in Atlanta then it would take a while to transport the cameras, etc.

Lastly, I’m sure all hands are on deck for this particular death investigation, but they can’t neglect the other 257 cases and only work this one. The FBI is assisting them not leading this investigation.

It takes time. It took them more than a year to solve the Bridget Shiel case, but they solved it. APD has one of the highest homicide case clearance rates in the country. The average is about 55%, APD’s rate is 75%.

Last edited:
This is such a sad and chilling case. I have been following along reading since the beginning. One thing I have wondered ever since they mentioned the tree limb issue is could it be possible the killer was initially up on a tree limb, out of view. Did something about the crime scene and injuries indicate any kind of injury from above??? Maybe the initial attack to either Katherine or her sweet dog started that way?? I know it sounds far fetched.

This is such a sad and chilling case. I have been following along reading since the beginning. One thing I have wondered ever since they mentioned the tree limb issue is could it be possible the killer was initially up on a tree limb, out of view. Did something about the crime scene and injuries indicate any kind of injury from above??? Maybe the initial attack to either Katherine or her sweet dog started that way?? I know it sounds far fetched.
I don't think it's far-fetched. One thing we do not know, iirc, is if LE cut down the limb, or if it was already fallen at the time of the crime. I can't tell from the photo I've seen if it was large enough to sit on or hide behind.

Another observation about the tree limb, imo, is that it does not appear to be covered in any way while inside the back of the LE van. I'm not well-versed in crime scene collection, but I would assume if the tree limb was suspected of containing DNA or other such forensic evidence, it would not be placed inside that vehicle, with the potential of touching all surfaces within, without some kind of protective covering to avoid contamination. Jmo.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZacOnTV/status/1421228472748417027

Last edited:
To put things into perspective…APD has 16 homicide detectives. There were 157 homicides last year and more than 100 homicides this year already. If you only use 2020/2021, each detective has about 16 cases.

Their jobs don’t stop after an arrest. They have to prepare for court and may be tied up (on the stand) for days. They may have had to travel to work this case as well. I’d bet they’ve been up to Michigan to speak with Katie’s family. As far as the camera situation, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes with that. For example, if a company that can get data off the cameras, isn’t in Atlanta then it would take a while to transport the cameras, etc.

Lastly, I’m sure all hands are on deck for this particular death investigation, but they can’t neglect the other 257 cases and only work this one. The FBI is assisting them not leading this investigation.

It takes time. It took them more than a year to solve the Bridget Shiel case, but they solved it. APD has one of the highest homicide case clearance rates in the country. The average is about 55%, APD’s rate is 75%.
They must believe the killer(s) were in view of one or more of the park cameras— OR they want the killer to think they were on camera. Notice he didn’t mention what evidence they might have obtained from the fully functional city cameras.
As far as DNA goes, if someone pet or kissed Bowie at any time that day, would their DNA be on his fur? Or would it need to be blood for DNA? I can’t remember if LE stated that Bowie bit the perpetrator(s), or if that was only assumed/hoped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member