GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. girlhasnoname

girlhasnoname Well-Known Member

Atlanta Police release new photos of possible witnesses to Piedmont Park murder – KION546<snipped & BBM>

Emma Clark says she found her life partner, Katie, stabbed to death that night. She went looking, pinging Katie’s phone after she didn’t respond to calls or texts.

Emma says she saw others in the park when she made the gruesome discovery.

“I know somebody walked up on it right after I did,” Clark said. “I guess, because he came running out too. If anybody else saw something before I did. Because there are photos of people 20 minutes before I got here and there are people walking right past the entrance.”

They’re adding details on the type of person the public may want to look out for.

“If you saw anyone with any unexplained injuries, an intense attraction to this case in the media. A change in appearance. A change in hair color. A change in any type of facial hair. An absence of school work, come forward give us a call,” said Deputy Chief Hampton. “There is nothing too insignificant,” he added.

APD said Monday that the cameras were working the night of the murder, but clarified Tuesday that the 9 cameras in Piedmont Park are not integrated into the city’s current video integration center that it tracks in real-time.

Traymar, misgrn, Flurries and 15 others like this.

2. Bridger

Bridger Well-Known Member

IMO, it’s impossible the murder happened much after 12:35 and it was probably before then. Remember that the fiancé found her around 1am, and that was after becoming worried about her from home (not from the very-close-by bar she worked at), called and texted a few times, consulted one of those find-me apps and discovered Katie’s phone wasn’t working, made her way to the park, found the dog first, found Katie, ran out of the park and called the police. The key is when she became worried about Katie, that was when Katie should have been home. Surely given the time she found the body, the fiancé wouldn’t have become worried until 12:45 or so. So unless Katie was purposely dawdling, she has to have been dead not just by then, but by 10 minutes before then (assuming a 10 minute or so walk home).

misgrn, Snoopster, Flicka1 and 14 others like this.
  3. citizen_sleuth

citizen_sleuth Well-Known Member

This is obviously speculation, but I don't think this was a random act of violence. The extremely short timeline and apparent lack of witnesses suggests the attack was premeditated. Even though the murder happened at night, which naturally reduces the chances of anyone seeing the killer, the attack was so brutal that it couldn't have been quiet. How could the killer stab Katie and her dog without either of them attracting attention with screaming/barking (especially because of the runner who entered the park within moments of the murder)? If only one person committed the murder, then either Katie or Bowie had to be attacked first, meaning the killer had to feel confident enough in his skills/exit strategy to kill one and then quickly kill the other without drawing any attention.

I don't think the killer necessarily singled out Katie as their intended victim but instead went out that night with the intention of killing someone––perhaps Katie matched the killer's victim profile or she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I just find it bizarre that (at least according to the info LE has released to the public) not one of the potential witnesses spotted on surveillance cameras in the area came forward about hearing or seeing anything especially when her body was found so close to the entrance gate.

misgrn, scdiv, realanastasia and 15 others like this.
  4. coldlanta

coldlanta Active Member

Did her partner walk to the park to find her after pinging her phone or did she drive?

Flicka1, dotr, Marg from Oz and 3 others like this.
  5. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

Thanks for re-posting those photos. This is part of the reason I wish we had a walk-thru of the area - not just a top down view - so we could "see" this area (tree & small memorial) in relation to the gates, etc. I keep wondering if some murderous freak was hiding in the shadow of the tree/behind the downed limb just waiting for any victim. Possibly the killer struck Bowie first then went for Katie.

*Maybe silly but I think of the guy who said the neighbor's dog spoke to him - telling him to kill. Maybe this killer hated the dog?? This case is strange.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Flicka1, dotr, Marg from Oz and 4 others like this.
  6. LotusPawprint

LotusPawprint Moderately-known member

I had no idea there were reviews of bathrooms out there (but really, of course there are). Apparently I don't get out much.

I tend to agree that it would be difficult for them to clean up, disappear, go unnoticed. Though it is possible and if they live among other homeless individuals, those people might not be (as) aware of what happened (no internet, tv) and/or might be more afraid /hesitant to contact law enforcement.

Re: being targeted as a hate crime.. I don't discount the possibility of someone who hates LGBTQ+ going to the area looking to kill (Pulse nightclub as one extreme example), but I'm not sure how they would have settled on Katie or how she would have stood out as an appropriate target.

I think a lot of pit bull owners (rightly) feel safe being out in public with their dog. Hence so much of the public surprise over that aspect of the crime ("what kind of person would attack someone with a pittie??"). I knew a woman who had a pitbull and it was incredibly sweet. The woman would go out of her way to defend her dog's character (and the overall misrepresentation of the breed), but in situations where it would benefit her to have an "intimidating" dog (ie walking alone at night, someone knocking on the door of her home), she would allow that perception to stand.

misgrn, realanastasia, AtlRN and 10 others like this.
  7. CLWP8

CLWP8 Well-Known Member

I assume walked, only because their address was made public on a few neighborhood pages around town and apparently they lived very close to the park. Parking on that street can also be very difficult.

*Editing to say another poster said she drove.*

misgrn, Flicka1, MerBeach and 7 others like this.
  8. LotusPawprint

To me this doesn't sound like a "Breaking News, We Have An Arrest!" update especially with the "and solve the recent murder" mentioned second... But I sure hope so.

9. Quest701

Quest701 Well-Known Member

I think she was last spotted (i.e. the surveillance photo police released of her) 10 minutes away at 12:09. So she could have arrived at earliest at 12:19ish, maybe later if she took a detour.

The runner popped in and out at 12:45 ish.

She was discovered around 1ish by her partner (or maybe 1:10 ish).

I think the cops must have more photos they are withholding of course, so they probably know the exact time she entered.
    So the law is gender neutral. It addresses hate crimes based on “sex” (among other things) and not women in particular. Hate crimes in general are really hard to prosecute. Nothing is ever “automatically considered a hate crime”. The state might charge someone with a hate crime for killing a woman if for example they found a manifesto the killer left behind proclaiming to exact revenge on women in general for rebuffing his advances. They wouldn’t, however, add the hate crime charges simply because the victim was a woman with no other evidence the attack was motivated by the victim’s gender. The same legal standard would apply if the victim were a man.

10. swedeheart

swedeheart Well-Known Member

11. StarryStarryNight

StarryStarryNight Well-Known Member

I tend to think the killer is probably full on crazy.
    Like you said, I also think the dog was killed first very suddenly and she ran.
    The dog was a pit bull and may have been the most docile dog alive but the average person sees a pit bull as powerful and aggressive. I think the killer definitely kills Bowie first thinking if I go after Katie first the dog is coming after me. That would at least account for there being some distance between the two.

12. Quest701

This makes a lot of sense. It would also explain why she was found further away.

13. Yemelyan

Yemelyan Well-Known Member

To be honest, de-personalization (or de-feminization) were some of my first thoughts about this case, which makes me lean toward an attacker who was unknown to her (she was in the wrong place at the wrong time). But of course unless and until we have more specifics on her injuries (which may never be released or not until a trial) it's hard to come to a definite conclusion.

14. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

There are tons of videos of that type on YouTube. Can't post them here because they aren't MSM, but if you search YouTube, you can find them.

15. coldlanta

coldlanta Active Member

Well that was fast. Not too much new information. They did briefly discuss the gang problem in Fulton County.

misgrn, Flicka1, MerBeach and 5 others like this.
  16. Quest701

<snip>

Sorry but could you clarify your edit? The neighbor’s dog spoke to who?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2021
    Flicka1, dotr, fred&edna and 2 others like this.
  17. citizen_sleuth

citizen_sleuth Well-Known Member

From the information that has been made publicly available, it seems that LE thinks the killer initially attacked (but not necessarily killed) Katie before killing Bowie––so IMO it seems more likely she was the primary target, not the dog.

Autopsy on dog belonging to Piedmont Park murder victim –– FOX 5 Atlanta <snipped>

Investigators believe it is almost a certainty the pet named Bowie engaged with the killer in an effort to protect his owner.

As such, APD ordered an autopsy of the animal looking for potential DNA that may have ended up on, or in the mouth of Bowie.

"They will treat the dog forensically the same way they would treat a human being," said Vincent Velazquez, a former homicide detective with the Atlanta force.

Velazquez expects bite impressions have already been taken off the animal as well as a check of the dog's nails for potential skin that may have been left by the person who committed the murder.

Traymar, scriabina, misgrn and 21 others like this.
  18. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

I'm sorry if this has been answered before. Is there a camera covering every entrance to this park? Meaning, the killer would have to be on camera somewhere both entering and exiting?

Is the entire park fenced? Is it jumpable? Would there be a way someone could enter/exit without being on a camera?

Traymar, Sleuth307, Flicka1 and 9 others like this.
  19. LotusPawprint

I snipped everything else in your message and bolded this because really, this is/should be the main message being broadcast everywhere and shared widely.

I worry (not only in this case but most crimes) that people get too caught up in giving their opinion, theory, criticism, and forget that what is NEEDED is getting the important, relevant information disseminated to as many people so the right people can give that tip to help. I should add, this isn't referring to WS but social media, where from what I have seen, the posts that are most widely shared or liked are the ones that are complete speculation and NOT helpful to the end goal.

20. TL4S

TL4S Well-Known Member

I missed part of it. Did they mention whether any of the 6 possible witnesses (on camera) have come forward?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.