GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by dotr, Jul 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Yes, but then they'd be all wet and it wasn't raining.

MajorHoople, Flicka1, nao and 5 others like this.

2. K.jill

K.jill Well-Known Member

3. Gardenista

Gardenista Well-Known Member

Wondering if it should say “in Bowie’s stomach/mouth” which would be absolutely crazy and amazing.

bluenoser, misgrn, Alcina and 21 others like this.
  4. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

LoveyG, NoSI, arich24 and 40 others like this.
  5. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

This is what I was wondering about. Was it her routine to walk the dog at this time? if so, then that would lend me to believe this could have been a targeted attack. If not, probably leaning towards a random, crime of opportunity. The involvement of the FBI leads me to believe that the Atlanta PD has some evidence and some leads. That is encouraging.

6. Tbone144

Tbone144 Well-Known Member

amateur speculation and my opinion only:
    Them being that far apart I can’t help but wonder if the dog being killed was the primary location. Person jumps out with knife, dog attacks and is killed. If the nature of the injury is as indicated it would be fast but someone would have to have a bit of skill. Then the perp chases her down 100 feet away. Or she’s so stricken that she’s frozen in place and he drags her 100 feet. Either way you have some one athletic enough to drag or chase down an adult.
    I’m relieved to hear they have DNA from the dog. I hope he gave the perp hell.
    IMOO

ETA: or it was more than one person who committed the attack.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    Starkville, freshmom, Dub64 and 22 others like this.
  7. Lore Listener

Lore Listener So many crimes, so little time

8. dalsglen

dalsglen Well-Known Member

You would think if there was an argument of any sorts that folks over n the apartments across the road would've heard and done something. Though I've watched too many First 48 Atlanta episodes, so not surprised really.

That park looks terrifying during daylight, nevermind at midnight. Though with it being SO open at that area, I can see why others may deem it safe enough.

I reckon Bowie must have been the first to be attacked, maybe bowie felt like the perpetrator was a threat and gave them a warning, in which they retaliated.

So sad isn't it.

Dub64, bluenoser, misgrn and 11 others like this.
  9. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

From that video where the reporter is at the entrance to the park, it seems pretty busy during daylight hours, at least there were people coming and going, walking dogs, and I noticed a sign in one shot saying dogs had to be leashed, so must be a popular dog-walking spot. However at 12-1 AM? Probably hardly anybody there, I would imagine.

Ugh this one just guts me. Just out walking your dog, minding your own business.

The only other thing I could think of besides targeted attack or random evil person she came across was if she stumbled upon something in the park someone didn't want her to see. A sexual assault happening? A drug deal? Don't want to leave a witness and kill the dog too because it starts barking loudly and/or attacking?

10. jiminy

jiminy Well-Known Member

Good boy, Bowie.

11. nao

nao Well-Known Member

What was the dogs temperament? Was Bowie reactive to people or dogs? Could Bowie of been aggressive and the other person ' over reacted". This is no judgement of dog breed I would wonder the same with any dog. Just a maybe situation. Moo

12. TenaciousTBacon

TenaciousTBacon Well-Known Member

This isn't from data or media, but just from true crime stories on the news and WS. There seem to be more crimes happening to women exercising in parks or rural areas. Maybe in reaction to the proliferation of home cameras. I live in small town America & I won't walk in wooded trails any more, even with another mom.

freshmom, bluenoser, misgrn and 9 others like this.
  13. Rosegold68

Rosegold68 Well-Known Member

i'm in the uk and my dog walks have become very limited since a lady here was murdered walking her dog a few months ago, really got to me.....then this, another one

when will we be safe to just do normal, mundane things without being in fear!!

14. PrairieWind

PrairieWind Verified Attorney

when will anyone be safe?

NoSI, Marg from Oz, elliefant and 4 others like this.
  15. CrimeDawg123

CrimeDawg123 Well-Known Member

It seems everyday in our neighborhood chat someone has been aggressively confronted and/or assaulted. Every day. It's unbelievable how quickly our town has gone from being incredibly safe to now this. Sounds like it is happening in a lot of places.

HulaMum, bluenoser, misgrn and 11 others like this.
  16. jiminy

jiminy Well-Known Member

I know what you mean. I carry a personal alarm when I'm out with the dog and am hyper-vigilant. I dream of not having to be. *sigh*

17. MajorHoople

MajorHoople Well-Known Member

In a situation like that I would endorse pepper spray. It would stop the pit bull attack without causing death or permanent injury.

At least, that's been my personal experience of pepper spray vs. attacking dog.

18. nao

nao Well-Known Member

Her partner works at a bar. Could even be someone has a thing for her and wanted to get rid of competition. Does seem like they knew the departed in some way. Moo

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  19. Knox

Knox Well-Known Member

I wonder if LE is happy that information was shared with the public? That should have been kept quiet IMO. But wow, what a key piece of evidence. If they end up finding a DNA profile match in CODIS, I wonder if that would be a first? DNA profile of the perp obtained from a dog's mouth?

freshmom, bluenoser, misgrn and 15 others like this.
  20. Peppery

Peppery Well-Known Member

I’m so sorry her wife had to find her like that. No doubt there is much evil in our world.

Bowie is a hero, the goodest of all good boys.

NoSI, arich24, FonescaFan and 31 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.