GA GA - Katherine Janness & Dog Bowie Fatally Stabbed - Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 2021 #5

So sad this isn't solved yet. If the person who committed this horrific crime didn't leave his/her DNA behind in some capacity, that person is either the luckiest person in the world (not likely) or else the killer took lots of precautions and carried it out precisely. That itself would seem to be at odds with the viciousness of the attack. If the killer did leave behind DNA, my guess is that it just isn't matching anything yet. Everything is just so odd here.

Now APD will have divert more attention and resources to address this.
The actual protests at the new police training site are not in the Atlanta city limits. It is located in an unincorporated area of neighboring DeKalb county. Atlanta is in Fulton county. Most police presence at the protest site is DeKalb County Police and Georgia State Patrol and the offenders are jailed in DeKalb county and will be prosecuted there.

It's still a distraction, and some protests end up inside the city, but most of the events surrounding this Atlanta police center are outside Atlanta.

Last edited:
I still keep thinking there was more than one attacker/killer.

How was this done without leaving DNA evidence? Or is there possibly "unknown" DNA evidence (that can't be linked in Codis)??
If he wore thick gloves, and did not cut himself with the knife as he used it on her, and he wore a hat preventing his hairs from falling out at the scene, and if she did not manage to get a fingernail full of DNA, and he didn't spit or ejaculate - then he would not have left trace evidence behind. For touch DNA to adhere, it generally has to be more than just a brush of skin - like a steering wheel or phone or something the killer handled. I can only assume he came prepared, and the whole thing was planned. And I agree with the commenter above who says the rage exhibited in this murder is indicative of a personal crime.

I can't believe we have made so little headway, nearly two years after the fact. What a shame.

If he wore thick gloves, and did not cut himself with the knife as he used it on her, and he wore a hat preventing his hairs from falling out at the scene, and if she did not manage to get a fingernail full of DNA, and he didn't spit or ejaculate - then he would not have left trace evidence behind. For touch DNA to adhere, it generally has to be more than just a brush of skin - like a steering wheel or phone or something the killer handled. I can only assume he came prepared, and the whole thing was planned. And I agree with the commenter above who says the rage exhibited in this murder is indicative of a personal crime.

I can't believe we have made so little headway, nearly two years after the fact. What a shame.

You could be correct... but, if the killing was personal why choose a public park rather than home/private setting? Do you think the killer only become enraged when seeing Katie in the park?

You could be correct... but, if the killing was personal why choose a public park rather than home/private setting? Do you think the killer only become enraged when seeing Katie in the park?
You raise a good question. The rage would possibly indicate something personal, that the killer knew KJ and really hated her. But as you said, why do it in the park? And if it was someone known to her, I would think LE would have made the connections already. So I tend to lean towards the idea that this was someone that was just crazy, and was just looking for any victim to take out their rage/fantasy. Perhaps the killer did leave some DNA, but there is just nothing to match it to yet. Perhaps a transient/homeless, the invisible people of society. But then again, perhaps it was someone that knew Katie, but she really didn't know them. Someone that had a secret and intense grudge against her for some reason. To me, there are just a lot of sort of conflicting things about this case. The horrific brutality of the attack, in a public park ,WITH a dog, is just sooo perplexing to me.

You raise a good question. The rage would possibly indicate something personal, that the killer knew KJ and really hated her. But as you said, why do it in the park? And if it was someone known to her, I would think LE would have made the connections already. So I tend to lean towards the idea that this was someone that was just crazy, and was just looking for any victim to take out their rage/fantasy. Perhaps the killer did leave some DNA, but there is just nothing to match it to yet. Perhaps a transient/homeless, the invisible people of society. But then again, perhaps it was someone that knew Katie, but she really didn't know them. Someone that had a secret and intense grudge against her for some reason. To me, there are just a lot of sort of conflicting things about this case. The horrific brutality of the attack, in a public park ,WITH a dog, is just sooo perplexing to me.
Someone that knew might know, possibly, that someone with a partner at home and a very public job would be hard to find alone and attack. That’s my opinion on why it happened where and when it did.
Why no one around her has stood out, I don’t know. I just can’t see this as a random crime. Especially by a random, mentally disturbed homeless person.

Possibly because he or she felt justified, all-powerful and the ‘owner’ of Katie’s fate. So nothing could touch him. So far…

Someone that knew might know, possibly, that someone with a partner at home and a very public job would be hard to find alone and attack. That’s my opinion on why it happened where and when it did.
Why no one around her has stood out, I don’t know. I just can’t see this as a random crime. Especially by a random, mentally disturbed homeless person.
Very shrewd points and I agree.

In many cases someone in the homeless community has had knowledge of the perpetrator if he or she was a part of that group and would have spoken up in order to earn the reward money. Bowie was taken into consideration, it was the day before she was flying home which I believe means something, he/she was extremely violent, yet painstaking and careful in his/her actions, and ultra-confident in taking time with Katie.

Katie was incredibly intelligent, kind-or at the very least-polite to Everyone and caring of the world around her. The killer had, IMO, a very skewed view of a misunderstanding between them or, as noted previously, an imagined slight also tremendously inflated in his or her mind.

You think someone Katie knew wields this all-powerful mindset and hated her enough to commit such a savage killing?
That's very frightening.
I completely agree with you, but despite the myriad conflicting pieces of information, so many facts point to that rather than a random killer. Unbelievably cruel. I hope so much that she didn’t see her killer before she died and be forced to realize that such venomous hatred was coming to physical light right before her eyes-Katie being an individual with sensitivities and love (and faults, of course)-that would be an incredulously malevolent feeling to take with her, along with simultaneously being hit with “My mom and Ronnie are expecting me, they need me, Emma needs me; OMG, my baby Bowie!!! My friends, my family.”

TristynBailey, 13, was stabbed 114 times by a 14yo who was recently sentenced to life in a FL prison. He did not hate TB. He wanted to kill someone, anyone. He told his girlfriend that he wanted to take someone to walk in the woods then kill them with his knife. He named his knives.

I don't think KJs killer had to be someone who was angry or furious with Katie. It had to be someone willing to kill while wielding a knife. Using a knife seems personal but it's not a requirement when somebody who wants to kill someone.

There hasn't been another murder in the area quite like this one so it's likely the unknown subject (UnSub) is not a serial killer. ATL Police told us it was not a serial killer. SKs typically have cooling off periods that can last for days, weeks, months, or even years like BTK.

More than ever, I want an arrest. I don't understand the delay.

‘She Was Still Alive’: Forensics Expert Says Disturbed Piedmont Park Killer Tortured Victim Alive Before Killing Her
This attack had to have started right after Katie entered the park. Where Bowie was found suggests he was killed first and Katie likely tried to run away, but the killer caught her after about 100 steps.
“These killers are motivated by their victim’s pain; That’s what excites them.”
“The fact that Katie was alive when this happened likely reflects the killer’s need to inflict not only physical torture but psychological torture as well.”
“This killer took extra time to write on this live victim. Pull her pants down. Stab her more than 50 times. They had some skill with instrumentation,” [Joseph S] Morgan said. “Was this killer using a medical tool or multiple edge weapons”?

TristynBailey, 13, was stabbed 114 times by a 14yo who was recently sentenced to life in a FL prison. He did not hate TB. He wanted to kill someone, anyone. He told his girlfriend that he wanted to take someone to walk in the woods then kill them with his knife. He named his knives.

I don't think KJs killer had to be someone who was angry or furious with Katie. It had to be someone willing to kill while wielding a knife. Using a knife seems personal but it's not a requirement when somebody who wants to kill someone.

There hasn't been another murder in the area quite like this one so it's likely the unknown subject (UnSub) is not a serial killer. ATL Police told us it was not a serial killer. SKs typically have cooling off periods that can last for days, weeks, months, or even years like BTK.

More than ever, I want an arrest. I don't understand the delay.

‘She Was Still Alive’: Forensics Expert Says Disturbed Piedmont Park Killer Tortured Victim Alive Before Killing Her
I think many people agree it wasn’t a serial killer. And I can (see-?) that it’s a possibility that a person simply wanted to hurt and kill a person. It seems that they might choose a person without a dog, but with the bravado the facts support, he/she could have found the dog to be an added bonus.

This has to end (I know, not always the way we hope), with the killer being caught.

What a shame, indeed.

What's frightening to me is that regardless of if this was a random or personal attack, the killer is a psychopath. You don't carry out this kind of twisted behavior on another human being, even if for a very personal or targeted reason, without being unhinged and capable of doing it again. Jmo.

If no DNA was left behind, that's scarier yet, because that means this psychopath is careful. I actually think it's likely there was DNA, it just hasn't been identified yet. Hopefully.

What's frightening to me is that regardless of if this was a random or personal attack, the killer is a psychopath. You don't carry out this kind of twisted behavior on another human being, even if for a very personal or targeted reason, without being unhinged and capable of doing it again. Jmo.

If no DNA was left behind, that's scarier yet, because that means this psychopath is careful. I actually think it's likely there was DNA, it just hasn't been identified yet. Hopefully.
100% agree… killer is a psychopath…totally capable of repeating if hasn’t already. Wish there was more being done to reassure those of us who live/work nearby. My thought is…to pull off such a hideous crime in such a well-trafficked area (even at that hour), the killer is very familiar with the park and the surrounding area. Maybe even a neighbor. Scary.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back