GUILTY GA - Linda Yancey, 44, & Marcial Cax-Puluc, 23, murdered, Stone Mountain, 9 June 2008

http://www.ajc.com/traffic/content/metro/dekalb/stories/2008/06/16/yancey_police_shooting.html

By all reports up until now Yancey has said he didn't know the day labor he hired. Why would you hire someone and not even ask their freakin' name?

Actually, it is quite common in large cities and areas with un-documented workers. I lived in Los Angeles and you can't drive for more than a block in some areas without seeing at least a dozen or more hanging out waiting for work and under-the-table cash to earn for each day. They don't carry a sign that says what they do, its sort of 'common knowledge' if you are into that thing. They can usually be found around lumber yards, landscaping supply places, etc. My DH hired them when he had HUGE flooring projects, and actually found perm help thru them. If you like em and they are legal, you can hire them if they work out.

Sorry for jumping back, but I am just reading this thread and thought it might help some to explain that illegal day
workers really arent that UN-common :).

ETA: I think he is GUILTY!!!! There is NO plausible explanation and you ALL have done a great job- Pretty easy to see thru, but thanks for all the links!!

Actually, it is quite common in large cities and areas with un-documented workers. I lived in Los Angeles and you can't drive for more than a block in some areas without seeing at least a dozen or more hanging out waiting for work and under-the-table cash to earn for each day. They don't carry a sign that says what they do, its sort of 'common knowledge' if you are into that thing. They can usually be found around lumber yards, landscaping supply places, etc. My DH hired them when he had HUGE flooring projects, and actually found perm help thru them. If you like em and they are legal, you can hire them if they work out.

<snip>

Thank you for the explanation. I am from a small town and moved to a small town that has exploded. We have illegals around here, just not enough to where you could drive up and find one to work for you easily. (Not that I know of anyway:crazy:)

It makes a bit more sense with your explanation, but I agree, the husband is guilty of something. What is yet to be seen, but by all accounts, he seems to be guilty of murder. I can't wait for more information to be released so we can finally find out the truth of what happened to Mrs. Yancey.

Victims families and friends will usually say "he wasn't like that" so that is not what I have really been listening to- although it will be really sad if he really wasn't like that and this alleged deputy picked him up to provide him with a cover for this crime.

This time I am actually paying attention to the defense attorney (unbelievable for me). But the scenario the defense attorney is spinning is what I find to be pointing to the deputy. According to the attorney the confrontation happened in just a few seconds. Yet the guy was found with a roll of money and a handgun belonging to the deputy.

Ok, lets say the guy found the hand gun and turned it on the couple. When did he find the roll of money in that few seconds? And why did he shoot the woman when the man is usually considered the most dangerous? The woman would be easier to handle as a hostage against her husband, the husband would be physically the most dangerous. And the deputy just happened to be able to grab his weapon in time to shoot the guy, thereby saving his own life, but too late to save his wife? Where were the weapons and how did the guy happen to find them? There was a teenage son in the home at least part of the time, were the weapons not kept locked up when not in use? How did they end up in the basement of the home- were valuables kept down there? Things just aren't making sense to me with what the LE and the defense attorney are saying.

Edited down for space.

This time I am actually paying attention to the defense attorney (unbelievable for me). But the scenario the defense attorney is spinning is what I find to be pointing to the deputy. According to the attorney the confrontation happened in just a few seconds. Yet the guy was found with a roll of money and a handgun belonging to the deputy.

Ok, lets say the guy found the hand gun and turned it on the couple. When did he find the roll of money in that few seconds? And why did he shoot the woman when the man is usually considered the most dangerous? The woman would be easier to handle as a hostage against her husband, the husband would be physically the most dangerous. And the deputy just happened to be able to grab his weapon in time to shoot the guy, thereby saving his own life, but too late to save his wife? Where were the weapons and how did the guy happen to find them? There was a teenage son in the home at least part of the time, were the weapons not kept locked up when not in use? How did they end up in the basement of the home- were valuables kept down there? Things just aren't making sense to me with what the LE and the defense attorney are saying.

I completely agree mysteriew. IF, and I mean IF our synopsis' that we have concluded to are correct, he is a pretty dumb cop. I am sure people panic under pressure (I know I do, so I couldn't fathom the anxiety you would feel after a murder). I have been in heated arguments where my anxiety has made my blood boil, so that could answer for clues not making sense (both of his guns used, the money, why her if he was armed, etc.).

I also believe that he thought he could outsmart his own dept- Sounds like another Bobby Cutts, Sam Parker or even nasty ole Drew Peterson, just different scenario-

Cops thinking they are above the law!! EWWW! :sick::loser:

LE has talked to the deputy twice. Now they want to talk to him a third time.

Article includes Yancey's version of a timeline. Yancey isn't talking to the media, the info is coming from the attorney.

Yancey picks up Cal-Puluc
On the way home the two stop at Home Depot and purchase pinestraw and roundup
Yancey prepares lunch for Cal-Puluc
Linda Yancey comes home and "the three of them ended up in the basement."
Yancey hands his wife $2,000 cash

The attorney confirms both guns belonged to Yancey.

"He's standing there and in a couple of seconds his wife is shot. And he's got to do something. And that's unfortunate. It's a terrible, terrible tragedy. All the way around."

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

FOX 5 News has learned DeKalb police want to talk to Deputy Derrick Yancey about the double killings at his house, again.

It appears his account of the incident is being questioned but his attorney says Yancey story can be backed with evidence.
http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/p...n=3&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=3.2.1

Why would he hand his wife 2,000 dollars cash? That is a lot of dough to have in cash around the majority of people's houses. Especially cops.

Nope, not buying this one at all. No reason in the world for him to be handing over cash to his wife. The yard work didn't amount to 2,000 dollars. Botox iinjections don't cost that much. Kroger is a real steal for way under 2,000 dollars. Not trying to be overly flip but this dog don't hunt.

2 grand for what? Im sure it could not be to pay the gardener, and I would think he wold be paying him since he hired him- EVEN if they had a safe in the house and happened to have extar $ to stash (I know my DH and I do), then he would not be dumb enough to hand it to her in front of a complete stranger-

BTW- Ususally people who hire day workers, USUALLY feed them AFTER they finish- That is the way we worked- unless it was obviously lunch time, but why feed someone if they havent done a thing for you yet?

2 grand for what? Im sure it could not be to pay the gardener, and I would think he wold be paying him since he hired him- EVEN if they had a safe in the house and happened to have extar $ to stash (I know my DH and I do), then he would not be dumb enough to hand it to her in front of a complete stranger-

BTW- Ususally people who hire day workers, USUALLY feed them AFTER they finish- That is the way we worked- unless it was obviously lunch time, but why feed someone if they havent done a thing for you yet?

I agree, that's what my daughter and SIL did, fed them hamburgers mid-day as they'd been there since early morning. At other times when the job only took up morning hours, they fed them AFTER.

My SIL had to go get someone who spoke fluent Spanish to hire them in the first place, as he wasn't raised speaking anything other than English. I still find it odd that Mr. Yancey was able to communicate with someone recently from Guatemala, BUT I find his entire story 'off-the-wall'!

Why would he hand his wife 2,000 dollars cash? That is a lot of dough to have in cash around the majority of people's houses. Especially cops.

I'm not defending him but my father (65 years old) is the kind of man that does NOT have a checking account, savings only and rarely uses credit cards. When he charges say grandfather clock parts (it's very expensive for some of the clockworks $500-750 for the nicer ones) he will tell mom what to order online and to charge it, the next day he will come home with the cash and give it to mom so she can pay the bill as soon as possible. It's the same if he has the lp tanks filled up. He has the cash ready but the drivers won't take cash, so he pays mom the cash and she sends off a check from her account. WE were no where what most folks would call well off when I was a kid, but it was not uncommon for dad to have large amounts of cash around. It was the way his father was. They didn't believe in banks after the depression and gramps raised his kids the same way. Here's an odd example, gramps was ran over by a farming tractor and while he was in the hospital, one of the kids went out to his van to grab a can of paint to paint one of the rooms grams had planned to do and when they opened it, it was full of CASH! It turns out that gramps had over 10 paint cans full of cash in the back of his van and it was a little over $23,500 in cash. So I guess what I am trying to say is that you just can't jump to a conclusion because it's not the way you folks do things.

Now I will admit, dad would never hand that kind of cash over to mom with a total stranger around. Hell, he probably wouldn't do it in front of most family members simply because it's none of their business.

I still find it odd that Mr. Yancey was able to communicate with someone recently from Guatemala, BUT I find his entire story 'off-the-wall'!
edited for space :)

Hi TG- Haven't seen ya around or on the same topic for awhile-How are you my friend? :blowkiss:

I agree with you, BUT he was in LE and now a days, most are bi-lingual. I have been reading some stories about the laborer, and from all accounts, he was a gentile, kind man. SO much so, as the consolate got involved. If he was the avg. killer, they would'nt bat an eyelash :innocent:

Sounds like we all think the same thing, but stats dont lie. Some cops think they can get away with al this, as many do.

**One thing that I haven't seen brought up, the DV calls/charges against his son? Obviously from those alone, he has a pretty bad temper. AND, not that this matters, it seems noth incidents were over "un-Godly music". Has anyone heard anymore or know anymore about these? He is supposed to be still under some type of probation/investigation against the latter charge- Both were against the son and music. Any ideas WS'ers?? :confused:

Edited down for space :)

Now I will admit, dad would never hand that kind of cash over to mom with a total stranger around. Hell, he probably wouldn't do it in front of most family members simply because it's none of their business.

Hi Meduza - I was chuckling when I read your post because my dad and gramps are almost carbon copy :eek: I can understand, and realize thats how they did it "old school". Anyways, I agree, even thought they MAY (which I highly doubt since they had a mortgage and ccd's Im sure, they would need some type of acct to pay bills from these modern days- thats what builds credit) have extra cash- The hugest problem is that they are both smart as to act in front or strangers, having LE experience. They would know better than to flash $$ like that- ANY common-thinking person would do the same- They would wait, or hold on to it until the stranger was gone, or at least out of the way.

Devils advocate....

They were doing yard work so perhaps they were doing some other kind of work, maybe in the basement. Yancey asks Cax-Puluc to come down to the basement to have a look and see if he thinks he can do the work or if it can be done. He says it can be and Yancey hands his wife the $2000 to go get supplies from the hardware store not wanting to leave his wife alone with a stranger and so they can continue on with the yard work. I can't imagine that living the life as an illegal is particuarly safe so somewhere along the journey he spies and grabs a gun that was maybe out for cleaning etc and when he sees the cash knows it could be a big deal for him. He shoots the wife accidently while threatening her and then the husband shoots him with a gun he either has on him or is maybe kept down there.

Good job playing devils advocate.

I thought that it might be possible that Cal-Puluc might have asked to go to the bathroom, slipped into the bedroom to see what he could get and found the gun. But I still keep coming up against the fact that a teen boy is also in this home, at least part time. So why weren't the weapons kept locked up when not being carried? Also, this dude is a stranger, if he was gone to the bathroom for very long wouldn't the hubby go looking for him? And I still wonder about him handing money to his wife in front of a stranger. This isn't some naive homeowner, this is a police officer, a person who I usually think of as suspicious of strangers. I would think that he would know better than to put that type of temptation out there in front of a stranger. Also, most pistols either have to be cocked or have the safety turned off so the accidental shooting is less likely. It is possible that if the guy was holding the gun on them, that the hubby could have tried to jump him and the weapon may have fired accidently hitting his wife. Though in that scenario, I am not sure when the hubby would have had the chance to grab his own weapon.

I'm not defending him but my father (65 years old) is the kind of man that does NOT have a checking account, savings only and rarely uses credit cards. When he charges say grandfather clock parts (it's very expensive for some of the clockworks $500-750 for the nicer ones) he will tell mom what to order online and to charge it, the next day he will come home with the cash and give it to mom so she can pay the bill as soon as possible. It's the same if he has the lp tanks filled up. He has the cash ready but the drivers won't take cash, so he pays mom the cash and she sends off a check from her account. WE were no where what most folks would call well off when I was a kid, but it was not uncommon for dad to have large amounts of cash around. It was the way his father was. They didn't believe in banks after the depression and gramps raised his kids the same way. Here's an odd example, gramps was ran over by a farming tractor and while he was in the hospital, one of the kids went out to his van to grab a can of paint to paint one of the rooms grams had planned to do and when they opened it, it was full of CASH! It turns out that gramps had over 10 paint cans full of cash in the back of his van and it was a little over $23,500 in cash. So I guess what I am trying to say is that you just can't jump to a conclusion because it's not the way you folks do things.

My dad sounds like your gramps and Dad is 82! Dad always kept several hundred dollars squirreled away (we were once robbed and they did not find Dad's stash). Dad always paid in cash.

I would be very interested to looking at past transactions of this police officer, checking acct and credit card activity. If it showed normal use of using those for big purchases then IMO handing his wife 2,000 to go buy something just does not wash with me. Also him being a police officer, common sense tells me he would not have loaded guns just laying around or be flashing this type of money in front of a day laborer.

VB

I have been watching this case intensely. I found a blog that is also keeping close tabs on Derrick Yancey. In the comments section is the following....

I am a relative....a close one....It appears that Derrick decided that since he could no longer have Linda, (after she decided to get enough courage to leave his *advertiser censored*) and he decided that no one else would either. Not even her kids, mother, sisters, brothers, nieces, nephews and other family members and friends who loved her so much. This entire story whatever it claims to be stinks. How long does an investigation take when it is only witness breathing to tell the lies that have been told! The truth is Derrick did not think this pre-meditated murder through. We all knew that Derrick was no longer a an Angel far from that....It is a shame that he used an innocent young man to take the rap for his evil doing. (the man can't live to tell us abt wht happended) I can't wait until the truth comes out so that all of us including Linda can have peace. This whole situation was crazy as hell. I just can't believe that Derrick really went through with killing Linda. He (Yancey) probably can't either. Derrick, were you that selfish and stupid that you could not just walk away or at least allowed Linda to walk away with her life? Was is that serious? I am sooo confused...and hurt. I noticed that you lost some of your coherent thinking skills a long time ago but damn..You didn't have to do her like that. Not my sweet Linda....you just didn't...
http://behindthebluewall.blogspot.com/2008/06/ga-who-believes-deputy-yancey-didnt.html

I am shocked we haven't heard anymore in the papers about Yancey. It seems pretty hush, hush to me. First, he is suspended (normal procedure), secondly it is said that the police want to speak with him, then the last thing we hear is his lawyer saying evidence can prove his innocence. Not another word since then....

I am eagerly awaiting the clearance of the police. You would think they would of stated openly by now if they suspect Yancey or if he has been cleared of any wrong doing.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back