GA - Marsha, Erin, & Chris Edwards, Murder/Suicide, Atlanta, 21 August 2019

While it's a life sentence to the ones who do it ..its also a life sentences for those left behind with unanswered questions that will never be answered.

Thanks for sharing that with us. It is certainly always with us when someone close to us takes their own life

I’ll share a personal story. Once a person has chronically suffered with suicidal ideation...

A choice is finally resolved within. The torment and agony of struggling to decide is over. Endorphins are released. A peace arrives. Though many do choose to leave a suicide note. Some do not.

Some go far away to protect love ones from finding their body. Leanne Bearden comes to mind.

None of this applies to the senseless killing of this woman murdering Erin or Chris. Her own children. Heartbreaking. To say the least.

IMO...Marsha finished med school but dropped out of a family residency program to raise a family and or help put her husband through med school...This is a big sacrifice as I know from personal experience...It is very difficult to get back into a residency program once you have left...Her husband goes on to establish a practice and you raise the kids...Perfect life...As the children go off to college, it begins to dawn on that you've taken care of everyone else but not yourself. You think you husband may be seeing someone else because after all, you've been to busy...maybe...JMO...So, you divorce and he helps you establish a business (which by the way, seems very spine oriented) and figures you should go on with your life as he does his...Now you're pissed off... he gets his life (that you helped him achieve professionally) and a new woman while you have what???It's like WTH...or...He sees you as a crybaby and a nuisance...Perhaps the kids side with you more than him and the kids feel you were betrayed by Dad...Anger on both sides, probably...Question: Did Mom have a psychotic break and take out herself and her kids or did Dad hire someone to kill them all "to be finished" with the whole lot of them...MSM says the son's body was found in the hallway of the home and the daughter's not far behind and lastly, Mom's...Neighbors heard nothing??? Just my thoughts...

I guess I missed this part of the story about her dropping out of her residency. I wonder what’s the real story behind that.

I wouldn’t think it’s to raise a family and support her husband. It seems as if her husband comes from a prominent family, though not terribly certain on that.

Seems like her husband finished med school in 1988, and she finished in 1996 then onto residency. That’s right around the time of her son’s birth so maybe it was a mutual decision at that point? Still not something I would ever advise but I guess I can see it happening.

My opinions only. I think this has a lot to do with money, shame, and grief from maybe her mom’s recent death. Even before someone posted upthread that she only has 2 employees and revenue of $200k, my initial thought was money.
I glanced through her FB a few days ago. She traveled extensively throughout the past year. It seemed there was a trip almost every month. I know very few people who can do that and run a successful company at the same time.

Maybe her ex had been paying substantial child support that recently ended?

Looking at the trips, I think it was all planned months ago and she maybe went on a year long no expenses withheld vacation beforehand. Maybe the plan was suicide then turned to homicide at the last day or so.

I think her ex would have the pieces we all seem to be missing. Going through her finances will probably also tell lots of stories.

Marsha graduated from medical school at a time when it was not as common for women of color to do so, especially in the Deep South. That tells me she was determined, worked hard and smart. Was she ever a practicing physician? Why did she stop? Her ex husband is referred as Dr. but she is generally not. Why? I know she owned a medical supply business, but I’m still interested to know about her medical career.

Edited for grammar

Marsha graduated from medical school at a time when it was not as common for women of color to do so, especially in the Deep South. That tells me she was determined, worked hard and smart. Was she ever a practicing physician? Why did she stop? Her ex husband is referred as Dr. but she is generally not. Why? I know she owned a medical supply business, but I’m still interested to know about her medical career.

Edited for grammar

On her website, I saw where she completed medical school and participated in a residency program, then went onto consulting work. I'm not sure she didn't complete residency, but I'm guessing not?

Considering this was 1996, maybe she thought she could do better almost as well as a consultant at that time (considering family practice can sometimes be one of the lowering paying of MD's), it would get her out of the shift work and many hours at the hospital for residency and of course she had her hubby's income as a backup. My opinion only.

Possibly regrets over that decision played a part in what happened last week? She was 58 and single (her FB is covered with married couple friends) and especially if her finances were not where she wanted them then I could see the suicide happening. I think the children's death were either revenge on her ex or a crazy kind of "these are my kids to protect and watch after and if I'm not here then they're going with me".

Why are you blaming the father? LE said it was a murder-suicide, I don't understand why we are automatically assuming they are incorrect? It seems fairly obvious, IMO, that they used ballistics at the scene to come to their conclusion of murder suicide.
I'm only blaming the dad for the lousy obituary.
His children have many accomplishments and their obits should reflect that.
Every news article about the murder suicide has an abundant amount of information about who he is and how "important" and well known he is in the community.
I don't ever remember seeing so much information about an ex husband and father in news articles about their murdered children before.
It seems very odd.
Moo

Daughter may have idolized her Mom or knew her Mom needed bolstering often. Did Marsha thrive on being recognized often? Daughter seems to praise Marsha often on fb. Then, birthday wishes from her children in March included "we will always be here for you". I take these comments as subtle messages that this woman was more fragile than appeared during this time period. I don't know why she decided to take her children with her, but maybe, in her mind, she didn't want to go alone. Her children deserved their own future and choices.

All those friends and loved ones will be there to say good-bye and be left to deal with their bewildered feelings. I don't really know what she was going through and I don't know if she was trying to get help. I do know people will suffer with her decision that has caused such sorrow, and that is why it is considered a selfish act. It must have been a very self-involved choice. I guess she became trapped within herself. My thoughts and prayers for all.

I understand, and respect your point of view.

You are absolutely correct that I never victim blame, and I never will. Since joining here in Jan. 2004 I have been a strong advocate for ALL victims of violent crimes. That will never change.

However, I do not believe LE would come out, and publicly state these were double homicides with the shooter committing suicide after murdering her 2 children if it was not the case.

Imo even more so due to this family being very prominent members in the Atlanta area which would make LE even more cautious with their preliminary findings.

Atlanta has a tremendous PD force so they aren't some small town cops throwing out findings willy nilly without having compelling supporting evidence.

So, imo, I am not victim blaming anyone because what has been disclosed by LE, and their findings shows the mother to be the victimizer in this case, and certainly not a victim.

Imo, The only victims in this case are the two beautiful children who were murdered in cold blood, and everyone else left behind in the aftermath who will forever miss them, and will have to deal with how they were taken, and by whom.

I am very well aware of the efficiency of this police department since this happened in my own state.

I have no reason to believe the investigators have gotten it all wrong. Imo, the COD/MOD will remain the same on all three.

Imo, it is exactly what it appears to be whether any of us ever understand any of it or not.

As for IUPG. It seems this mom thought she was the one who should be the judge, jury, and executioner of her two children. Where were their rights?

Thanks for replying. And yes, these ARE my honest opinions about this case.

Jmhoo
I know you are a strong advocate for victims and that is all I ever see from you along with respect and understanding and compassion.
And maybe you are right but for me there are unanswered questions lingering at the moment and in the previous case that I mentioned of alleged murder suicide of the Sherman family in Canada that two weeks later was changed to a double murder, they were even more prominent than these people involved in this case as he was the boss of the largest pharmaceutical company in Canada with a $billion turnover and valued Justin Trudeau the PM amongst his friends so I don’t think it matters too much about prominence. Anyway only time will tell and I just ask that justice is served no matter what for those beautiful lives lost . God bless x

There's still a question in my mind if ME had something to hide and didn't want her children left alive to discover something upon her death.

According to the Buzzfile site, ME's company called MME Enterprises LLC has been in business four years, employs one person, and has annual revenue of about $200,000. Gee, I thought it was a bigger company. That's not much revenue for such a lavish lifestyle.

Mme Enterprises, LLC

That spinal picture reminds me of her ex. I wonder if she did business in connection to her ex husband's businesses. She took a lot of vacations for a one person company. Write offs?

https://www.mmeenterprises.com/

BBM

It's possible she received some form of settlement from her divorce that has helped supplement her income and/or family vacations. JMO

I’ll share a personal story. Once a person has chronically suffered with suicidal ideation...

A choice is finally resolved within. The torment and agony of struggling to decide is over. Endorphins are released. A peace arrives. Though many do choose to leave a suicide note. Some do not.

Some go far away to protect love ones from finding their body. Leanne Bearden comes to mind.

None of this applies to the senseless killing of this woman murdering Erin or Chris. Her own children. Heartbreaking. To say the least.
I have dealt with many suicides and you are correct that once the decision is made , a peace and contentment takes over and the person who has made the decision appears happier than they have in a long time. I also have personal knowledge from my Mum choosing to try this way out too and observing her behaviour. I wonder if any of this is what happened to this lady ?

I have dealt with many suicides and you are correct that once the decision is made , a peace and contentment takes over and the person who has made the decision appears happier than they have in a long time. I also have personal knowledge from my Mum choosing to try this way out too and observing her behaviour. I wonder if any of this is what happened to this lady ?
I wonder the same question. It seems like Leanne Bearden, a world traveler, might have felt the same way. She hung herself soon after a trip.

My youngest sister woke up one morning and opened the garage door to find my 16 year old nephew hanging from the railing. He sent out dozens of happy Facebook messages and friend requests the night before. He told his family “goodnight”.

This father’s life is forevermore changed.

I wonder the same question. It seems like Leanne Bearden, a world traveler, might have felt the same way. She hung herself soon after a trip.

My youngest sister woke up one morning and opened the garage door to find my 16 year old nephew hanging from the railing. He sent out dozens of happy Facebook messages and friend requests the night before. He told his family “goodnight”.

This father’s life is forevermore changed.
I’m so sorry to hear that. God bless you all x

Suicide leaves a path of destruction for generations to come. It branches out from the original root of origin much like a growing tree. It damages those near and far, forever altering the leaves that grow from that root each season. IME and JMO.

Marsha had a large family. There's brothers and sisters that would know if LE got it wrong. They would probably demand the investigation be reopened.

Rebecca Zahau's family comes to mind and how they have fought long and hard against her death being called suicide.

There's a large circle of family, friends, neighbors, and community to ensure the investigation was done correctly. Let's hope if the determination of suicide is wrong then one of those people would fight for the truth.

Her mother's obituary:
View Iva Major's Obituary on theadvocate.com and share memories

My guess is that she was feeling old, lonely, and past her prime physically, personally and professionally (not true, but she may have felt this way). She wanted to die, but she hated the idea that her death would probably be a relief to her ex-husband and his new wife. He would have the best of both worlds--no ex to deal with financially or emotionally and all of the attention of his wonderful, successful children, their future spouses, the grandkids, etc. Plus he'd have this new woman to keep him company, take care of the household, and keep him satisfied. OUCH! This might have been too hard to swallow. So even though killing her children might not have been her wish, NOT killing them would have been worse. She knew they'd all be reunited in death and that she would be forgiven. All of this is just a gut feeling on my part.

On her website, I saw where she completed medical school and participated in a residency program, then went onto consulting work. I'm not sure she didn't complete residency, but I'm guessing not?

Considering this was 1996, maybe she thought she could do better almost as well as a consultant at that time (considering family practice can sometimes be one of the lowering paying of MD's), it would get her out of the shift work and many hours at the hospital for residency and of course she had her hubby's income as a backup. My opinion only.

Possibly regrets over that decision played a part in what happened last week? She was 58 and single (her FB is covered with married couple friends) and especially if her finances were not where she wanted them then I could see the suicide happening. I think the children's death were either revenge on her ex or a crazy kind of "these are my kids to protect and watch after and if I'm not here then they're going with me".

I agree with you, most certainly with the bolded. In her mind, They were HER children, not his. When he divorced her, then he also divorced his whole family. I’m actually surprised she didn’t murder her ex husband. Yet in her mind, she hurt him the most by killing his children.
Well this just gets worse the more I write. I’ll just try to check back later.

Last edited:
Nothing has been confirmed as far as I know, but I thought I read that when son didn't show up for work they called the father who then requested a welfare check being worried, but police would not confirm that.

No idea when they divorced (saw rumors only). No idea also if the ex husband or Marsha were involved with someone else. She was, after all, an attractive woman and only 58. I guess we all want to know if this connects to the divorce and some sort of revenge. It seems there's a limit on info especially about the timing of their divorce. Has anyone here run across more info?

I don't know how she could even think of ending the lives of her children.

Pics of the gated townhouses. No one heard the shots? They must be built with strong sound proofing.

Ex-husband of Atlanta mom, who 'shot dead their kids before killing herself' was worried about son | Daily Mail Online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back