Identified! GA - Newton, WhtFem 522UFGA, 25-30, red white & blue bandanna, May'85 Mary Anga "Angie" Cowan

How should I ask them? I have never done this before, but I gladly will.

St Petersburg Police
727-893-7265
Agency Case Number: 1979-116061

I have gotten this info together, I tried to call once and did not get through.

How did this go for you tricket?

Hoping for a match too, but I don't want to get tunnel vision. This Jane Doe will match her true identity.
Changing the facts, or ignoring them won't help.

I hope I'm saying this right. All leads should be followed, but a fact of a tattoo or not a tattoo seems like a really good clue. It's not like a freckle or something.

Whoever is in contact w the coroner or anyone else on the case, asking about a tattoo or any other marks not yet mentioned would be a great idea. Clarification on pregnancy or not too.

I have to try again tomorrow, I tried a couple of times today, I will keep you posted

Hoping for a match too, but I don't want to get tunnel vision. This Jane Doe will match her true identity.
Changing the facts, or ignoring them won't help.

I hope I'm saying this right. All leads should be followed, but a fact of a tattoo or not a tattoo seems like a really good clue. It's not like a freckle or something.

Whoever is in contact w the coroner or anyone else on the case, asking about a tattoo or any other marks not yet mentioned would be a great idea. Clarification on pregnancy or not too.

The coroner hasn't responded two my past two (maybe three I can't remeber) emails. I asked for clarification on medical stuff as well as a list of ruled out people but got nothing.

I like Sharon too but the tattoo is just something I can't get by I guess. If we can dwindle the list down to like 2 or 3 I will try the coroner with those and maybe that will get his attention. Unless we need to submit them to GBI or something, believe09?! I did a complete list a couple of pages back so if everyone can take a look at that and pick their tops I will go with the most popular. There have been 2-4 mentioned after that list was done (including Sharon).

Winnie Kersey is not on NamUs, so could have been overlooked by LE. Wish we had a better picture and she is reported to be 5' 9"..............hmmmm

I left a message, I asked about submitting Sharons info to NamUs, and for them to call me back, hopefully I will hear back soon.

Ok, the St. Pete Police just called me back and the woman I spoke with is going to get with the lead person to get this case submitted on Namus, I just explained that The Jane Doe was a strong match for Sharon Harrer, as well as a few others, but that we could not submit Sharon as a possible match without a NamUs file id, She said I should expect to hear back from them. Fingers crossed

Ok, the St. Pete Police just called me back and the woman I spoke with is going to get with the lead person to get this case submitted on Namus, I just explained that The Jane Doe was a strong match for Sharon Harrer, as well as a few others, but that we could not submit Sharon as a possible match without a NamUs file id, She said I should expect to hear back from them. Fingers crossed

Thanks tricket!!!!!:loveyou:

tricket, did she take the ID number for Jane Doe on identifyus? The lead detective might have something in the files that could rule Sharon in or out immediately. She/he can call the coroner and find out right away if Jane has a tattoo that was held back or missed.

FWIW, the way we used to work on these a while ago was to sleuth the possibles as much as we could and discuss the closest match and why. From there, the choice was to contact the MedEx/Coroner listed on NAMUS/IdentifyUs or the lead detective on the MP case.

If this helps at all-when I call the detective I introduce myself and tell them that there is a Jane/John Doe that closely matches their MP. I ask if they have a FP card or dental records or anything that might quickly rule the Jane/John in or out. DNA can take up to 18 months to process unless it is already on file-there are many different things that can be used for legal ID-I had a case where the coroner compared leg films of a known MP to a John Doe, for example.

In any case, make sure they have a link to the thread.

The detectives and the coroners want to close the cases as much as we do, but we have hundreds and thousands of sleuthers to pick away on these and they don't always have the resources. It's a great partnership, imvho. We don't want to dilute our relationship with LE by sending in numerous matches without as much legwork as possible already done.

Those layovers and all of those original articles are priceless I think. All of the discussion is as well.

Someday, when she is identified, a loved one will do a google search and be in awe of the strangers who worked so hard to give her her name back.

tricket, did she take the ID number for Jane Doe on identifyus? The lead detective might have something in the files that could rule Sharon in or out immediately. She/he can call the coroner and find out right away if Jane has a tattoo that was held back or missed.

She got the case number from me for St. Pete Police, and I mentioned she was on DoeNetwork, but not NamUs, she said that she would give this info to the lead detective, and if he had any questions he would call me back.

Winnie Kersey is not on NamUs, so could have been overlooked by LE. Wish we had a better picture and she is reported to be 5' 9"..............hmmmm

I really think that Winnie Kersey should be considered it could be that her height was reported incorrectly. I searched and found no other information about her disappearance. However, In the Duval County court records it shows that her husband filed papers regarding child custody a few years after she disappeared. Our UID had stretch marks... I know it is circumstantial, but wanted to report my findings. He also went through the court system with a foreclosure on property that was in both of their names.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kersey_winnie.html

I really think that Winnie Kersey should be considered it could be that her height was reported incorrectly. I searched and found no other information about her disappearance. However, In the Duval County court records it shows that her husband filed papers regarding child custody a few years after she disappeared. Our UID had stretch marks... I know it is circumstantial, but wanted to report my findings. He also went through the court system with a foreclosure on property that was in both of their names.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/k/kersey_winnie.html

I agree on the height issue. Unless the information was obtained from a physician or a booking, chances are it was either self reported on a DL or info given by a loved one who might have been off.

I agree on the height issue. Unless the information was obtained from a physician or a booking, chances are it was either self reported on a DL or info given by a loved one who might have been off.

Have had a look about Winnie on Ancestry, her maiden name was Hindman (though could also be a previous married name, I don't know) and her middle name is sometimes spelled Jeannette.

Have had a look about Winnie on Ancestry, her maiden name was Hindman (though could also be a previous married name, I don't know) and her middle name is sometimes spelled Jeannette.

Thanks Alllads, I found that too. Since she was born in 1955, and the marriage date when she went from Hindman to Kersey is 1977. It was most likely a first marriage, when she was 22. I couldn't find anything else about her parents, birth records, any children she gave birth to, etc. Do you have full access to Ancestry?

I also noticed that her husband was married again and divorced 3 or 4 times after she disappeared.

Thanks Alllads, I found that too. Since she was born in 1955, and the marriage date when she went from Hindman to Kersey is 1977. It was most likely a first marriage, when she was 22. I couldn't find anything else about her parents, birth records, any children she gave birth to, etc. Do you have full access to Ancestry?

I also noticed that her husband was married again and divorced 3 or 4 times after she disappeared.

Yes I do, but can't find anything else AT ALL on her except for the marriage/divorce and her married address in Jacksonville.

Weirdly, and I think this might be a record mistake, but it's listed as though Mr. Kersey and Winnie divorced twice -in 1975, and in 1984...? And they hadn't even married until 1975? So I think the 1975 is just a mistake? Then again, Mr. Kersey seems to have in the 1990s divorced, remarried, and divorced again a different wife, so it's not impossible.

Will keep digging to find something on Winnie. Don't want to take the focus off the UID obviously, but to me she really looks like she could be the right person...

Yes I do, but can't find anything else AT ALL on her except for the marriage/divorce and her married address in Jacksonville.

Weirdly, and I think this might be a record mistake, but it's listed as though Mr. Kersey and Winnie divorced twice -in 1975, and in 1984...? And they hadn't even married until 1975? So I think the 1975 is just a mistake? Then again, Mr. Kersey seems to have in the 1990s divorced, remarried, and divorced again a different wife, so it's not impossible.

Will keep digging to find something on Winnie. Don't want to take the focus off the UID obviously, but to me she really looks like she could be the right person...

Strange, now I am seeing the same thing with the divorce from Winnie in 1975, than married in 1977 and divorced again in 1984. And what appears to be another woman that he married twice and divorced in the 1990's.

I wonder if it is worth looking in Jacksonville area high school year books from the early 1970's to see if there is a Winnie Hindman. Do you have access to Classmates?

how long should it be before Sharon Harrer is put on NamUs?

Strange, now I am seeing the same thing with the divorce from Winnie in 1975, than married in 1977 and divorced again in 1984. And what appears to be another woman that he married twice and divorced in the 1990's.

I wonder if it is worth looking in Jacksonville area high school year books from the early 1970's to see if there is a Winnie Hindman. Do you have access to Classmates?

I do, but I can't find a Winnie Hindman. Another idea was to check the yearbooks of the HS Mr. Kersey went to, but none of the relevant years are available. I can't find any record of the first marriage though, at all, nor can I find ANYTHING on Winnie. Mr. Kersey is originally from Starke, FL so I was thinking there was a chance Winnie might be as well, but literally can find nothing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SashaRhea82
Back