GA - Pastor Jonathan Ayers, 28, killed by LE in Toccoa drug sting, 1 Sept 2009

There really isn't much that is new to report on this case...and since it seems to be slowly fading away and it doesn't need to be.....I have posted 2 of the latest links about it below. *BTW, thank you, pandora, for posting that interview with the young girl that was in the car with the pastor; I hadn't saw that in any of the other newspapers I've read.

Thorough Investigation The Only Option:
http://www.thenortheastgeorgian.com/articles/2009/10/13/news/opinions/opinion.txt

Mother of Lavonia Pastor Shot by Drug Agents Speaks Out:
http://www.accessnorthga.com/detail.php?n=223316

This family definitely deserves some answers. I hope they don't sweep this under the rug after the investigation is done.

It looks as if they're going to walk away. . . .

Wife Of Slain Lavonia Pastor Speaks Out In Written Statement

12/10/2009

The widow of late Lavonia pastor Rev. Jonathan Ayers has spoken.

Abby Ayers has issued a written statement through the law firm of Myers and Stroberg from Gainesville.

In the statement, Ms. Ayers says she appreciates District Attorney Brian Rickman meeting and communicating with her and her attorneys over the three months since her husband, Rev. Ayers, was shot at a Toccoa gas station by members of the Mountain Judicial Circuit NCIS Drug Team.

However, she states that she is “deeply disappointed to now learn that the usual practice of presenting cases to a grand jury will not be followed” concerning the death of her husband.

Ms. Ayers states that a first grand jury will be asked to consider the case and to give an advisory opinion on whether a second grand jury should be asked to receive evidence and decide whether to return any criminal indictments regarding the case. She continues on, saying she feels “this tilts the system unfairly in favor of those whose conduct led to this tragic and shocking loss.”

Ms. Ayers concludes her statement by saying she intends to follow the law and all recourse available to me to see that justice is done, and that all those responsible for Jonathan’s death are held accountable.

More at link:
http://www.wnegradio.com/2009_12_01_archive-news.html#1922052011794355617

The grand jury finally had a chance to see the entire body of real evidence (instead of what the press has been feeding the public) and have made their decision. Here's a copy/paste from wneg news, and here's the link.

http://www.wnegradio.com/news-blog.htm

Officers Use of Deadly Force Justified in Ayers Death, Says Grand Jury

12/18/2009

The Stephens County grand jury has ruled that the use of deadly force by Mountain Judicial Circuit NCIS agents in the death of Lavonia pastor Rev. Jonathan Ayers was legally justified.

In the grand jury ruling regarding the general presentment of the Ayers investigation that was released Friday afternoon, the grand jury further states that the officers involved in the shooting would be immune from criminal prosecution based on the facts presented.

According to the official court documents released Friday, the grand jury was asked to determine whether the investigation conducted by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation was thorough, comprehensive, independent, and fair. If the investigation was complete, the grand jury was asked to consider whether the actions were legally justified.

The grand jury states that they have found the investigation to be complete, thorough, unbiased, and well-presented. Furthermore, the ruling identifies the agent that shot Ayers as Billy Shane Harrison.

The grand jury then states “the use of deadly force by Agent Billy Shane Harrison was legally justified based upon his objectively reasonable belief that such use of force was necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or others.”

The grand jury than goes on to say that “based upon this finding, the Grand Jury believes that the officers involved in this incident would be immune from criminal prosecution.”

Rev. Ayers’ widow’s attorney, Roland Stroberg from Gainesville, said the family is not pleased.

“We have been informed of the recent action of the Stephens County Grand Jury and Abby Ayers and her family are extremely disappointed,” said Stroberg. “We are in the process of doing everything possible to gather all of the facts, surrounding this terrible incident and present these facts in a court of law in public, as opposed to behind closed doors. Once all the facts are available for public view, we feel it will be abundantly clear there was no legal justification for the undercover drug agent to shoot and kill Jonathan Ayers in broad daylight on the streets of Toccoa, Georgia. That is our position. We are in the process of getting all of our ducks in a row to get the matter out where it can be decided in a court of law.”

The full GBI report should be released Monday. Mountain Judicial Circuit District Attorney Brian Rickman said he would comment Monday on the matter.

I still think the officers shot too quickly before actually knowing what situation they had there, IMO. I am usually always on LE's side, just not in this one.

This is a wrongful death, IMO.

MOO

I'm glad I don't live in this town anymore. Having been treated shabbily by the police on two occasions while living there and knowing Jonathan, I still hold the officers involved responsible.

I wish Abby luck with her wrongful death lawsuit. She will need it in this good ol' boy town. :(

I'm glad I don't live in this town anymore. Having been treated shabbily by the police on two occasions while living there and knowing Jonathan, I still hold the officers involved responsible.

I wish Abby luck with her wrongful death lawsuit. She will need it in this good ol' boy town. :(

It's too bad that you were treated shabbily by the police there, but that has nothing to do with this investigation. The officer acted in self-defense and in defense of others. Mr. Ayers didn't want his reputation ruined by an arrest, so he ran down one officer and nearly ran down the other attempting to flee.

The police have been keeping the facts out of the public eye out of respect for his widow and family, not to cover anything up.

I still think the officers shot too quickly before actually knowing what situation they had there, IMO. I am usually always on LE's side, just not in this one.

This is a wrongful death, IMO.

MOO

How much time would you recommend when your partner has been struck by a car and that car is now barreling towards you? The grand jury had all of the facts of the case. We, the public, don't. They made the right decision, and I commend them.

It's too bad that you were treated shabbily by the police there, but that has nothing to do with this investigation. The officer acted in self-defense and in defense of others. Mr. Ayers didn't want his reputation ruined by an arrest, so he ran down one officer and nearly ran down the other attempting to flee.

The police have been keeping the facts out of the public eye out of respect for his widow and family, not to cover anything up.

How much time would you recommend when your partner has been struck by a car and that car is now barreling towards you? The grand jury had all of the facts of the case. We, the public, don't. They made the right decision, and I commend them.

I missed the part about an officer being struck by the care. Do you have a link?

Supposedly they were yelling that they were police. I don't know if any badges were visible, but even at that badges can be bought and anyone can yell out police. In this day and age it's hard to tell who you can trust.

I just don't understand what there was about the person they were investigating that would cause LE to pull their guns to begin with.

ETA: was their suspect still even in the car with the pastor? I've seen it reported that she was and reported that he dropped her off somewhere a few minutes earlier.

From what I have seen, even if they were saying they were police I don't know if anyone could understand them. LOL when they do it on cops one LE would be saying "stop, police," another would be saying "get out of the car" and another saying "on the ground." LOL how would you know what they are really saying, let alone know they are real cops?

BBM:
IMO, IF and I mean IF an officer had been struck by the car, then someone should have called for an ambulance and one of the others should have gone after the car the pastor was in. Then this person in pursuit could have radioed in as to what the situation was and to get help in stopping the car.

I watched the tape over and over when it was first released. Did you? If you had, you would see that the officer was not really hurt. A car barreling toward me? My first reaction would be to jump out of the way.

Commend them all you like, and I will still say LE overreacted in this situation before knowing what they had. An unarmed pastor being shot is a good indicator LE did not know what situation they had.

I almost always back LE. My late husband retired from LE and faced many dangerous situations during his career. Some of what he faced would make your hair stand on end. I can guarantee you that he would not have shot at a moving car at a gas station because it would and could have endangered others. He would have chased them until he!! froze over but would not have shot unless he had seen the other person go for a gun. Then all bets would have been off. He would have then shot and not missed.

I still think this was a good old boy situation where these officers were protected.

MOO

From what I have seen, even if they were saying they were police I don't know if anyone could understand them. LOL when they do it on cops one LE would be saying "stop, police," another would be saying "get out of the car" and another saying "on the ground." LOL how would you know what they are really saying, let alone know they are real cops?

We all know that undercover LE look just like most of the creeps they are after. I have even known some of them. Undercover narcotics officers can look pretty bad. You wouldn't think they were LE until they pull that badge on a chain out from underneath their shirt. When my late husband was in LE, we had some parties and barbecues where all but 3 or 4 of the guys would be cleancut and the 3 or 4 would have scruffy beards and so forth. From the shoulders down they looked great unless they were at 'work'.

The pastor was unarmed, so what else would he do but try to drive off if he thought these were thugs?

MOO

I do not for one second believe that the police have been keeping the facts out of the public eye out of respect for the victim and his family. I'm pretty sure you are stating your opinion, but if you have a link to support that statement, let me know.

I have watched the video of the incident over and over. The officer who was "run down" was actually brushed by the Reverend's car: I'd be shocked to learn he sustained anything more than minor bruising. The car certainly does NOT seem to be running down another officer who is attempting to flee!

I wish the evidence that the Grand Jury based their finding on was available for us to parse; until then I have to agree with the previous poster who cited the "Good Ol' Boy" system.

We all know that undercover LE look just like most of the creeps they are after. I have even known some of them. Undercover narcotics officers can look pretty bad. You wouldn't think they were LE until they pull that badge on a chain out from underneath their shirt. When my late husband was in LE, we had some parties and barbecues where all but 3 or 4 of the guys would be cleancut and the 3 or 4 would have scruffy beards and so forth. From the shoulders down they looked great unless they were at 'work'.

The pastor was unarmed, so what else would he do but try to drive off if he thought these were thugs?

MOO

I've known an undercover officer who looked more like a heartless murderer than any mug shot I've ever seen. His clothes were dirty and stinky, he was unshaven and probably solved more drug cases than anyone else on his force! I really don't think he even had a badge on a chain, because he was dealing with cut-throat dealers and if they'd found that badge, he'd have been dead before you can say "Wait."----I KNOW he was a good guy, but if I would have seen him running at my car screaming for me to stop, gotta tell ya, my instinct would have been to stomp on the gas and cut the wheel sharply, which seems to be exactly what the pastor did.

I've known an undercover officer who looked more like a heartless murderer than any mug shot I've ever seen. His clothes were dirty and stinky, he was unshaven and probably solved more drug cases than anyone else on his force! I really don't think he even had a badge on a chain, because he was dealing with cut-throat dealers and if they'd found that badge, he'd have been dead before you can say "Wait."----I KNOW he was a good guy, but if I would have seen him running at my car screaming for me to stop, gotta tell ya, my instinct would have been to stomp on the gas and cut the wheel sharply, which seems to be exactly what the pastor did.

Great post, kgeaux.

I see you know what I am trying to say here!

***Of course no badge when making a buy or hanging with the dealers.

Ughh.. that makes me sick.

I used to live there. I know that kid. I cannot believe it.

I can't say a good thing about the LE in that area of Georgia. Nor can I say much good about the neighborhoods there either. I know a lot about the happenings behind the "pictures" in that area and it's gross and you wouldn't believe how many good kids get mixed up in the grossness there that I saw anyway. I just saw far too many kids involved in bad stuff. I lived there for a year or so when I was a kid so I knew it personally.

I could tell you some stories but really I just want to forget.

Honestly if they want to clean up the area they should start with the LE. But who knows, it's been a long time since I've been there.

I do not for one second believe that the police have been keeping the facts out of the public eye out of respect for the victim and his family. I'm pretty sure you are stating your opinion, but if you have a link to support that statement, let me know.

I have watched the video of the incident over and over. The officer who was "run down" was actually brushed by the Reverend's car: I'd be shocked to learn he sustained anything more than minor bruising. The car certainly does NOT seem to be running down another officer who is attempting to flee!

I wish the evidence that the Grand Jury based their finding on was available for us to parse; until then I have to agree with the previous poster who cited the "Good Ol' Boy" system.

http://www.veoh.com/collection/Police-News/watch/v195466362Z8Xhfbf

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back