Aug is Utah Cold Case month and the Utah Cold Case Coalition is featuring Rosie Tapia's case
Click on Rosie Tapia's Thread and help Websleuths find Rosie's killer

GUILTY GA - Police Chief William McCollom for attempted murder, Peachtree City, 2015

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by greycoupon, Jan 2, 2015.

1. greycoupon

greycoupon New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/01/justice/georgia-police-chief-wife/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

An accident? In the middle of the night in their bedroom. What did he think he was shooting at? Unless of course, it was not an accident.

2. Loading...

3. SuzDuJour

SuzDuJour Active Member

I just read that there will be a press conference at 2:00pm. I'm waiting to hear if she was in the bathroom and he thought there was an intruder...

Sorry, the press conference was yesterday...I didn't realize it was an old article.

4. Starry Night

Starry Night New Member

Do you have a link for the presser? Earlier news reports stated the shooting occurred in their bedroom.
    I wonder how she is doing-hoping she recovers fully.

5. murphy3k

murphy3k Member

I'm pretty sure the 2:00 press conference mentioned in several articles is the one which took place yesterday. I haven't seen anything for a press conference today. MOO.

Per the AJC, his wife is still in the hospital.
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/investigation-of-peachtree-city-police-chief-could/njfML/

6. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

7. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Hmmm....from grey coupon'so link:

"The initial reports that we got from a 911 call were that the chief had shot his wife, accidentally, twice. As a result of our preliminary interview, we have found that he only shot her one time," she said.

8. Confusion

Confusion Creative Spelling Expert

Does that mean he accidentally shot her once and accidentally missed her once?

9. murphy3k

murphy3k Member

The 911 call has been released. You can listen to it at this link, as well as, read a partial transcript.
    http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/911-calls-released-shooting-peachtree-city-police-/njfQP/

From the written portion of the article:

So, was he asleep or moving the gun when the shooting happened? I don't see how it could be both. MOO.

10. greycoupon

greycoupon New Member

911 call: Peachtree City police chief's wife shot in bed/

You can listen to the 911 call.

Guns don't just go off. You pulled the trigger, Chief. I find his story rather implausible. It happened in HIS sleep. I realize LEO are trained to stay calm in stressful situations but he just shot his WIFE and sounds like he's discussing having car trouble.

11. daisymae

daisymae Registered User

I am from Peachtree City and shocked to hear this. It is one of the safest communities in the US. The police patrol the golf cart paths regularly. Once in my subdivision they stopped a drunk golf cart driver and his wife had to come get him. They also hide in trees along the paths to keep everyone safe. Sure hope this goes well for the woman.

12. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

Oh for gods sake, the gun just 'went off'? Wonder what she did to get him so mad at 4am .. did they go out late on New Years Eve .. get home drunk perhaps?

13. CHERIE.T

CHERIE.T Former Member

I know this is NOT funny in any way but I read your post and thought omgaw, now people will use 'sleep shooting' as a defence. ;)

14. Morag

Morag Well-Known Member

Why was his gun IN the bed?

15. murphy3k

murphy3k Member

The only thing I could think of was that he kept the gun under his pillow while they slept? It's certainly not a place I would keep my gun while I slept, but that was the only place in the bed I could imagine it being. MOO

16. Miss_Diana

Miss_Diana New Member

REALLY!!! Geesh, he's WAY too calm ... WAY too calm!!!

He shot her in the 'back'? How does that happen while just moving it on the bed????

And why wasn't the safety on? He's a Police Chief for pete sakes!!!

17. noZme

noZme Active Member

The plot thickens:

He had another wife since he was actually married (divorced 2014) to the one he accidentally shot. Wife No.2: Suzanne Carter is a rabbi who was the police department chaplain in Delray Beach, Florida when McCollon was chief. The chief & the woman who was shot were divorced in 1999.... according to Daily Mail, which is a scandalous rag (my opinion) but sometimes gets it right.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ars-ago-married-South-Florida-RABBI-year.html

18. Mrs G Norris

Mrs G Norris #JeSuisUrsa

I can't believe they haven't charged him with ANYTHING .. what about illegal discharge of a gun, or some lesser charge while they work out the rest. Does anyone here think if this had been anyone but the police chief they'd have not charged him with something to put him inside while they work on the case?

19. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Yes. Very strange. It will be interesting to see how his past shakes out.

20. greycoupon

greycoupon New Member

This times a million. Well, I wish I was surprised but I am not. Here's hoping they do something that would really shock me and actually charge him.

Better source than the Daily Fail, err Mail. AJC reports that he and his wife actually remarried this year.

21. seattlechiquita

seattlechiquita Active Member

They take care of their own. This does not surprise me one bit. I wish they would have immediately taken away his badge/firearm, and hand ove the investigation to the local FBI office.