GUILTY GA - Police Chief William McCollom for attempted murder, Peachtree City, 2015

I imagine her family are too busy organising the intervention to talk to the press. I bet they've had about enough of this relationship and her attraction to it.

Best case scenario is this was a tragic accident and this man has no business being a LEO when he can't practice simple gun safety and should be charged with criminal negligence.

Worst case scenario, cold blooded attempted murder. I continue to hope the GBI will surprise me and actually investigate this. If it takes more days for them to investigate fully to be able to prosecute than that's fine by me. No matter what happened he should be charged with something.

so many little comments to make on this one - none earth shattering. i can see it either way - accident or intent. or a mixture of both where he didnt really mean to get so mad he shot her but oops he did. (yes, i know this is not a defense)

i can see him being drunk and falling asleep in his clothing which includes gun. then trying to shift around and get comfy or take off gun in his sleepy stupor where he is sort of awake but not really.

i can see him not identifying her as his wife bc... well, their relationship has been awkwardly defined for so long i am not really sure if he knows off the bat what it is.

and i giggled a little when the 911 operator asked him if she was awake now. heck yeah she was awake! what a terribly rude awakening! (but yes i understand what is being asked)

still - there is a chance he is just a grandiose to the max abuser who is trying to get away with attempted murder or a rage-instigated act.

Well that's a wrap then. I wonder if he'll keep sleeping with his gun?

Way too many unanswered questions. For me anyway.

Way too many unanswered questions. For me anyway.

Right.....& here's another unanswered question I have: did the Chief have a large insurance policy out on the wife? You know, an "accident" here, an "accident" there & before long nobody's wondering anymore. Then you finally cash out, right?

I think the man was intoxicated (did they draw his blood for that at the scene?) & his true intentions came out.

If I were her, I wouldn't have him anywhere near me; even if it was just an "accident".

Never ever.

Moo

She's gone back to him even after he married someone else, and after telling her work mates for years that he's been abusive, so it's not really surprising that she backed his version of events here. I guess she'll keep sleeping next to him too, and there's not much the GBI can do about that :( I still think his version is bogus.

so many little comments to make on this one - none earth shattering. i can see it either way - accident or intent. or a mixture of both where he didnt really mean to get so mad he shot her but oops he did. (yes, i know this is not a defense)

i can see him being drunk and falling asleep in his clothing which includes gun. then trying to shift around and get comfy or take off gun in his sleepy stupor where he is sort of awake but not really.

i can see him not identifying her as his wife bc... well, their relationship has been awkwardly defined for so long i am not really sure if he knows off the bat what it is.

and i giggled a little when the 911 operator asked him if she was awake now. heck yeah she was awake! what a terribly rude awakening! (but yes i understand what is being asked)

still - there is a chance he is just a grandiose to the max abuser who is trying to get away with attempted murder or a rage-instigated act.

I have spent the last 20 years married to a cop who is now a police chief. There is absolutely no occasion on which it would be remotely acceptable for a uniformed officer with a gun to be drinking, much less drunk. You don't drink in uniform, period. In my husband's department, you don't go to the grocery store in uniform. Uniforms are for on duty officers on official business. Yes, officers must carry their weapon at all times due the very real danger of running in to someone whose cousin you had to arrest last week, but even then you don't get drunk with your gun on your person. If your are a person who has the need to come home falling down drunk EVER, you won't last long in any properly run jurisdiction.

I feel dissappointed and sad for his wife. I feel strongly that she is covering for him. There is money at stake here. If she is a retired nurse and he is the breadwinner, how will she pay the bills and support herself if he loses his retirement and goes to prison? Competent police officers don't have accidents in bed with their gun. They don't have a gun in the bed, ever. They don't accidentally shoot their wife, if they shoot anyone ever, it is on purpose. Unless he can convince me that he thought his sleeping wife was a home invader hell bent on killing him, this loser is no better than your average street .

MOO

Is this the week of officers and their guns not being a good combination when with their wives?

25 years as an officer in this case also...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/video-offduty-officer-accidentally-shoots-self-in-overtherhine/30518124

Surveillance video from the elevator shows Jouett removing his gun from a holster under his coat with his right hand, then appearing to attempt to put it back, while holding a box and a bag in his left hand.

"He was transitioning the holster and transitioning the gun out of his holster. He was going to carry it in his hand as they walked to the car. As he was pulling the gun from the holster, a round discharged, ricocheted in the elevator, struck him in the stomach," Cincinnati Capt. Michael John said.

Two 25 year + veteran officers alone with their spouses this week and both have supposedly/reportedly (though this elevator one, seeing the video does seem to genuinely be) accidental (I still don't buy McCollum's story) gun incidents.

Obviously had the gun in this situation been angled differently the outcome could have been far more serious.

Police said Jouett is a 25-year veteran with the department.

The shooting remains under investigation.

If we had two rookies or young cops have similar incidents in one week it'd be all over the news about cops needing more training or gun safety reminders or something.

It'll be interesting to see if we have a sudden surge of comments that veteran officers need refreshers to avoid complacency on gun safety or something.

Is this the week of officers and their guns not being a good combination when with their wives?

25 years as an officer in this case also...

http://www.wlwt.com/news/video-offduty-officer-accidentally-shoots-self-in-overtherhine/30518124

Two 25 year + veteran officers alone with their spouses this week and both have supposedly/reportedly (though this elevator one, seeing the video does seem to genuinely be) accidental (I still don't buy McCollum's story) gun incidents.

Obviously had the gun in this situation been angled differently the outcome could have been far more serious.

If we had two rookies or young cops have similar incidents in one week it'd be all over the news about cops needing more training or gun safety reminders or something.

It'll be interesting to see if we have a sudden surge of comments that veteran officers need refreshers to avoid complacency on gun safety or something.

I hear and agree with your concern. This is not a training problem, it is a character problem. It doesn't take a genius to know how to be careful and responsible with a gun. Every cop everywhere knows how to safely store a gun, carry a gun , clean a gun. Just like the rest of society, there are *******s among us. Cops aren't bad, *******s are bad. MOO

I hear and agree with your concern. This is not a training problem, it is a character problem. It doesn't take a genius to know how to be careful and responsible with a gun. Every cop everywhere knows how to safely store a gun, carry a gun , clean a gun. Just like the rest of society, there are *******s among us. Cops aren't bad, *******s are bad. MOO

Oh, I know!

That probably didn't come out right. I'm have the utmost respect for what our (good) LE do.

I just think it's interesting because public opinion would be far different, IMO, than it seems to be in these instances.

There was reaction to McCollum and that hit the news, but had he been a rookie or younger officer, and then we had this elevator guy also be a younger one, I think it'd be all over the place.

And instead this story has died down (and really will now that his wife said she thinks it was an accident - to me I still...have questions, but...that obviously is irrelevant! LOL) and the other is hardly making headlines.

But I do think there is something to be said for sometimes complacency - in everyone, every industry, etc. at times - as people just feel too comfortable and untouchable in whatever they do, and I hope this doesn't become a trend. Just so odd to see two such...well...whatever situations in a matter of days!

I understand the elevator situation but the McCollum one still boggles the mind. Why was his service revolver in the bed at 4:00 in the morning?!

Wife either doesn't know what happened, or says she doesn't know what happened. It doesn't surprise me at all.
For one, they allowed the hubby into her hospital room.
Even if everything was as this guy claimed. Is he even qualified to be a chief of police, considering how careless he is with guns?
Who sleeps with a loaded gun?

I have an old boyfriend that sleeps w/a loaded 38 under his pillow. I've had to move it a couple of times when cleaning the bedsheets. Done very carefully. It's heavy and I hated it! He also keeps one at his place of business. He owns a couple of bars in town. His choice, right or wrong. imo

I have an old boyfriend that sleeps w/a loaded 38 under his pillow. I've had to move it a couple of times when cleaning the bedsheets. Done very carefully. It's heavy and I hated it! He also keeps one at his place of business. He owns a couple of bars in town. His choice, right or wrong. imo

If he isn't alone in the bed, then whoever else is in the bed should have a choice. Because that person can end up the one being shot.

If she is still on the mend & in the hospital while he continues to visit her, it may be a prudent move on her part to claim it all an innocent accident.

But maybe when she is healed & discharged from the hospital (& not as vulnerable), she'll change her tune?

Moo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back