GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot by Police, Wendy’s lot, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 #2

It gets confusing because there are a few videos. This is the one where I heard it. It is around right around the 35:05 time mark. I believe is speaking to Officer Rolf.
Wow, you have video of officer driving there, that wasn't on the two videos I bad previously seen. I did hear him say his girlfriend's name on this video. Not easy to hear everything that's said because of static and cars honking etc. Up until they tried to cuff him, I thought RB was the typical drunken clown. As I stated in an earlier thread, the officer was extremely patient and professional. Here they are professional but all business and they get right to the point. Thanks so much for posting video.

Wow, you have video of officer driving there, that wasn't on the two videos I bad previously seen. I did hear him say his girlfriend's name on this video. Not easy to hear everything that's said because of static and cars honking etc. Up until they tried to cuff him, I thought RB was the typical drunken clown. As I stated in an earlier thread, the officer was extremely patient and professional. Here they are professional but all business and they get right to the point. Thanks so much for posting video.

You are welcome. I think there were 2 body cam videos (one from each officer), a dash cam video, and the Wendy’s surveillance videos. Most of them are in articles from various news outlets and are on YouTube. I went looking for them after the press conference to see if I had missed anything.

Imo, I knew all along he was not going to seek the death penalty.

DAs only apply the DP when they believe they can get 12 jurors to agree. This is not one of those cases.

Imo, I see weakness in the DAs case, and he may not even be convicted of the top charge of murder.

Jmhoo

IMO, this was a rush to judgment. No way the DA could get the DP. The felony murder charge will also be difficult to prove. Again, JMO.

Parents of children with physically handicapping conditions sweat sending our children off to college, too.

We're in a minority that doesn't get much press.
I agree Laughing. Children can have a variety of disabilities that range from dyslexia to ADHD and physical disabilities too and you have to be willing to fight for them to get them what they need.

Minority parents have always had this fear. Let's truly make it safer for all.

Launching your children in the world can be so scary. I can only imagine that it is all
I agree Laughing. Children can have a variety of disabilities that range from dyslexia to ADHD and physical disabilities too and you have to be willing to fight for them to get them what they need.

Absolutely!

Brooks: I just wanted me a burger.
Officer: But no margaritas at all today.
Brooks: Just a daiquiri.
Officer: Just a daiquiri?
Brooks: Yes
Officer: Alright.
Brooks: For Natalie White. That's my girlfriend.
Officer: And you haven't drove your vehicle at all?

11Alive has reached out to the Brooks family attorney and Atlanta Fire to confirm whether they are the same woman. Neither has responded.“

Natalie White: Rayshard Brooks mentioned the name to police. It just came up again in a warrant

@JerseyGirl , This is what I was saying yesterday! Garrett Rolfe CAN request to appear. He DOES NOT have to be called as a witness by the Grand Jury in order to appear.
Officer Wilson testified before the Grand Jury in the Michael Brown shooting. I think it kept him out of prison.

This is a very similar case, in that the officer was attacked by the suspect, and they had a tussle, in which MB grabbed at the gun from the officers holster, and they fought over it for awhile, before MB ran off.

Ferguson Documents: Officer Darren Wilson's Testimony

Darren Wilson, the police officer who shot and killed Michael Brown, told a grand jury in September that the 18-year-old hit him in the face with a fist following an exchange between them on Aug. 9 in Ferguson, Mo.

The grand jury on Monday declined to charge Wilson, who is white, in the killing of Brown, who was black.

In testimony released Monday, Wilson told the grand jury that while on a call about a sick baby, he heard on his portable radio a report of a "stealing in progress" from a local store on West Florissant Avenue. He said he did not hear the entire call, but "did hear that a suspect was wearing a black shirt and that a box of cigarillos was stolen." He said he did not plan to respond to that call as two other officers were on it.

Wilson said he was dressed in his police uniform. And here is what he said he was carrying that day:
WHAT WILSON WAS CARRRYING (p. 204)

View the entire document with DocumentCloud

I know it's a hard decision to make for any defendant whether to testify on their behalf before a GJ, but it worked in Officer Wilson's case, in Ferguson, didnt it?

It's hard to remember now, but didn't OWs GJ refuse to indict? Imo, if so, that may not have happened if he hadnt testified.

I'm sure since OR has one of the best attorneys in the country per Rocky, he will help him make the correct decision.

His attorney may think it's best his client doesnt give the DA a preview of what he will say if he testifies at trial, which I believe he will.

Jmho
Yes, I had the same thoughts and went looking to confirm. In fact, Officer Wilson did testify before the Grand Jury. And they did not indict.

These 2 cases are very similar and they have had very similar impacts upon society. It is almost like Deja Vu.

Here is a detailed article about his Grand Jury Testimony, which surprised me---I have always heard it was top secret. No one is supposed to know what transpired. And this NPR article has the transcript.

It is giving me some hope for Officer Rolfe. He has a very sharp attorney. I think they will prepare him well for his testimony.

Ferguson Documents: Officer Darren Wilson's Testimony

I thought he was just dropped of at his car by his GF and then just got in the Wendy's Drive thru queue then fell asleep so what driving did he actually do?
That's the story he sold the cops. But I don't think it is true. If you see the long video , officer Rolfe questions him about that, and the story kind of falls apart.

He basically just said he was 'dropped off' because he didn't want to admit he drove there. The cop asks him,' she dropped you off here ?' ... 'Why was your car here?' '...isnt your motel way over there?' And stuff like that...

He drove to Wendy's from his motel or from wherever they were partying, I believe.

I believe on the video...he told Officer Bronson that he was in a rental car because he was visiting from Ohio. At first he said she dropped him off then they questioned how he got in the drive through lane. He said something about her being a sleep and him wanting food. He was getting it and was going to meet her back at the hotel. Even if she actually drove him there, he intended to drive back to the hotel. He also said he had been visiting his mother’s grave before that.
Yes, one of the first things he said, when asked initially 'where are you coming from?' ---he said 'my mama's grave side' [or something along those lines.]

The officer said " Aww, I'm sorry, when did she pass?' and he says " a year and a half ago."

So I think that was manipulation on his part. He wasn't coming to Wendy's from Mama's grave site. But that sounded better than saying he was coming from a bar. JMO

SBM

You're confusing me here, OBE.

I thought the defendant will only be allowed to answer questions that the prosecution asks in the GJ hearing.

Are you saying he will be given the opportunity to lay out his version of what happened, second by second?
I would like more clarity on that question.

I just looked at the Grand Jury testimony of the Michael Brown case, and the officer laid out his version of what happened, second by second.

But that prosecutor didnt think he should be charged. He brought it before the Grand Jury out of tremendous pressure by BLM and some of the community. But he allowed Officer Wilson to describe what happened, minute by minute.

I am sure DA Howard doesn't want that to happen. I wonder who has the final say? If the jurors have questions, can they go ahead and submit them?

I'm confused.

Was Mr. Brooks on probation -- meaning living in the community with limits, generally after a misdemeanor conviction;

or on parole, meaning early physical release from a state Department of Corrections generally after serving some time in prison after a felony conviction?

I thought his record indicated parole, indicating that he would be returned to state prison if found in violation of his parole.

DUI is likely a violation of either status, of course.

YMMV LRR JMHO
It's confusing, but I think it was a combination of the 2. He had several charges, including Domestic Violence, Simple Battery, Child Cruelty, Imprisonment, and was convicted.

He did part of his time, but was released on parole. However he had some court ordered hoops to jump through. Some anger management and Family classes, etc.

Apparently, he moved to Ohio from GA, before finishing those programs which were required by the court. And so he had a warrant out for probation violation. Those programs were part of the agreement for probation for simple assault, misdemeanour or something?

So he had elements of both, and violated probation for sure, if not also parole.

The documents were posted way back upthread somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back