GA - Rayshard Brooks, 27, fatally shot by Police, Wendy’s lot, Atlanta, 12 Jun 2020 LEO CHARGED #2

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Vail, Jun 14, 2020.

1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Lawsuit: Atlanta officer broke man’s collarbone weeks before shooting Rayshard Brooks

Three weeks before shooting and killing Rayshard Brooks during a scuffle in a Wendy’s parking lot, embattled Atlanta police Officer Garrett Rolfe broke a man’s collarbone during a DUI stop, according to a federal complaint filed Monday.

The lawsuit accuses Rolfe of using excessive force when he allegedly grabbed Charles Johnson Jr. and threw him to the ground during a May 22, 2020, arrest, “thoroughly breaking his collarbone among other minor injuries.

It wasn’t the first time Rolfe was accused of using excessive force on the job. And Johnson’s attorney, Keith Foster, said if the Atlanta Police Department had handled a previous complaint appropriately, Brooks might still be alive.

The federal complaint also accuses the city of encouraging, tolerating and being “deliberately indifferent” to previous use-of-force cases involving Atlanta’s officers.

2. al66pine

al66pine Well-Known Member

Other Traffic Stop by LEO Rolfe?
    @JerseyGirl sbm Thx for you post w link. Not a good look for LEO Rolfe, at least from beginning of article.

I could not access the LEO's body cam vid. Another source, anyone? TiA.

tayaway likes this.
  3. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

For me this has no bearing here. Nothing on the video from this incident points to excessive force. Just as George Floyd’s past had no bearing on that case, Garret Rolfe’s past has no bearing here.

4. Dawookie

Dawookie Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see the footage as well because this just seems like a money grab in all honesty. If the guy resisted and got taken down, that's the consequences of his own actions.

5. GoBuckeyes

GoBuckeyes Well-Known Member

I'm very interested in that body cam.vid too. Do you a link @JerseyGirl? TIA

6. GoBuckeyes

GoBuckeyes Well-Known Member

Everyone but the former DA. :rolleyes:

7. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Forum Coordinator Staff Member Forum Coordinators

Bodycam video of Charles Johnson, Officer Garret Rolfe encounter

Atlanta Police released bodycam video Thursday of a May 2020 police encounter where a man claims he was injured in an arrest by officer Garrett Rolfe - the same officer facing murderc harges for the death of Rayshard Brooks.

This week, Charles Johnson filed a federal lawsuitseeking $1 million from the City of Atlanta. The suit states Rolfe broke Johnson's collar bone, among other minor injuries, after stopping him for a DUI on May 22, 2020.

Dawookie and al66pine like this.
  8. SugarQueen

SugarQueen Well-Known Member

Thanks for the video. Seems that’s another case of resisting arrest, followed by a lawsuit. I will say GR had a lot more patience than I do.

9. SuziQ

SuziQ Well-Known Member

Thank you for your service Officer Rolfe. And thank you for keeping us safe.

10. Kakidoll

Kakidoll Karma never forgets

Its all about the $$$ for these CRIMINALS.

11. Dawookie

Dawookie Well-Known Member

Much ado about nothing. I'm sure the lawyer will try and find a way to spin it and still get money from the city.

Maybe one day people will learn to just not resist because a) it puts both officer and suspect at risk b) you won't get hurt and c) accept the consequences of their actions