GA - Rayshard Brooks, Atlanta, Jun 2020, Officer charged MEDIA, MAPS, TIMELINE

Rayshard Brooks funeral to be held at historic Ebenezer Baptist Church | Atlanta Daily World

The funeral of Rayshard Brooks will be held at Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church on Tuesday, June 23, 2020 | 1p.m. *Sanctuary seating by invitation only
Viewing: Monday, June 22 | 3 pm – 7 pm *Viewing open to public / No cameras allowed inside.

*The service will be streamed live on the church’s website, www.ebenezeratl.org.
____

Tyler Perry to Pay for Rayshard Brooks' Funeral - Black Enterprise

Not only will Perry pay for the funeral expenses, People has confirmed that he has also offered to pay for the college education for Brooks’ four children.

Rayshard Brooks: Both officers charged in shooting turn themselves in to police

More than $200,000 has been raised for former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe?s legal fees, according to the Georgia Law Enforcement Organization.
By: WSBTV.com News Staff
Updated: June 18, 2020 - 8:55 PM
ATLANTA — The officers accused of shooting and killing Rayshard Brooks turned themselves in to police Thursday, one day after the Fulton County district attorney brought charges against them.

Former Officer Garrett Rolfe is accused of murder in the death of Brooks. He’s currently being held without bond. Channel 2′s Tony Thomas confirmed late Thursday evening that Rolfe has been moved to the Gwinnett County Jail.

Officer Devin Brosnan is charged with aggravated assault and violation of oath. He bonded out of jail Thursday afternoon.

JUST IN: Officer Devin Brosnan, the first to turn himself in after being charged in connection to Rayshard Brooks death, has bonded out: https://2wsb.tv/2ABXDjr

6:12 PM - Jun 18, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

52 people are talking about this

While a memorial is growing at the Wendy’s restaurant where Brooks was killed, support is also growing for both of those officers charged in his death.

A group has already raised $250,000 for legal fees.

Channel 2 anchor Justin Wilfon was at the Fulton County Jail where Brosnan turned himself in.

As Brosnan left the jail after making bond, he told reporters outside he had no comment. Rolfe was taken in a side door out of the view of the media.

“We spoke to him to get all the details worked out as far as the fundraising goes and obviously to get his blessing on doing the fundraising on his behalf,” said Josh Watson, Georgia Law Enforcement chief operations officer..
More at link

Officer in Rayshard Brooks case previously accused of 'cover up' in separate incident years before fatal shooting

11Alive's investigative team, the Reveal, found an accusation of a cover up from 2015, involving Rolfe and other Atlanta Police officers.

Records from Fulton County court show officers failed to mention they fired multiple shots into a stolen truck, hitting the driver, in the incident report.

Jackie Harris was shot in the center of his back.

This incident showed up on Rolfe's disciplinary record as being investigated for a firearm discharge in 2015. According to court records, Rolfe fired three of the five shots into the truck. The final disposition for that internal investigation however, is blank on the report that Atlanta Police provided.

“Porter the former head of the Prosecuting Attorneys Council of Georgia, added the move is still unusual. In 2015, the GBI offered its independent, officer-involved shooting investigations to agencies. It followed a rash of OIS incidents in DeKalb County, Porter said. He said prosecutors across the state agreed those investigations were critical to their parallel investigations.
Velasquez echoed Porter in saying the initial investigative process typically involves GBI findings.“

“I was part of an officer-involved shooting team for many years at the Atlanta police, and we decided to get away from that and send it to the GBI,” Velasquez said. “Paul Howard was included in that. The DA’s office co-signed that, and that’s been the process all along.”

“Georgia U.S. Rep. Doug Collins has called on state Attorney General Chris Carr to appoint a special prosecutor in the case.”

Many question DA’s decision to charge officers in Brooks case before end of GBI investigation

Ex-officer charged in Rayshard Brooks' fatal shooting will spend weekend in jail

A fired Atlanta police officer, Garrett Rolfe, who faces a slew of charges connected to the fatal shooting of Rayshard Brooks will spend the weekend behind bars, a judge ruled on Friday.

Fulton County Magistrate Court Judge Jeffrey Frazier said the seriousness of charges against Rolfe prevented him from setting bail on Friday.

Court records showed that a bond hearing for Rolfe has been scheduled for Tuesday at 2 p.m. ET.

He's being held at in neighboring Gwinnett County, jail records showed.

“Atlanta police union held a news conference Sunday calling for a special prosecutor to be named in the Rayshard Brooks case.

The International Brotherhood of Police Officers were joined by several state leaders, including Rep. Doug Collins and Georgia Senate Majority Leader Mike Dugan, at police headquarters.“

Police union, state leaders call for special prosecutor in Rayshard Brooks case

Warrant issued for suspect in Atlanta Wendy's arson

www.fox5atlanta.com/news/interim-apd-chief-addresses-officer-sick-calls-charges-in-rayshard-brookss-death

At a press conference, Interim Chief Rodney Bryant said that it was "factual" that since the Fulton County District Attorney filed charges in the death of Rayshard Brooks the department had seen "higher than average" number of officers calling in sick.

"The explanation for calling out sick vary and include officers questioning their training, officers being challenged and attacked, and unease about officers seeing their colleagues criminally charged so quickly," he said.
-------

“You know, this prosecutor made the comment that he wished he could charge this officer without using the grand jury,” he said. “The grand jury is a safeguard and a requirement in Georgia. It’s written in their constitution. It’s there because it is a message to that community that we will work together when we charge someone with a crime and we are arguing that we should take their liberty away.
But, instead, he makes those statements and then other outrageous statements before he even understands the evidence.”

Fmr. US Atty Brett Tolman: DA in Rayshard Brooks case more concerned about politics than justice | WDBD FOX 40 Jackson MS Local News, Weather and Sports

The attorney for Natalie White said White was close friends with Brooks, but the attorneys for Brooks family say they are unaware of any connection between the two”

Woman wanted for setting fire to Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks was killed has surrendered to police
——-
In a statement from the attorneys for Brooks’ family said:

"We are unaware of any connection between the Natalie White that was arrested today for arson and the Natalie White mentioned by Rayshard Brooks in the bodycam video.”

“The only person who could answer questions regarding any connection they may have had is Natalie White. “

“The family of Rayshard Brooks is still grieving his loss. He will be greatly missed by his widow Tomika Miller and their children, as well as his many family and friends.”

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atlanta/woman-wanted-setting-fire-wendys-where-rayshard-brooks-was-killed-has-been-caught/JARQDD4NKZHLFIGZYUNFKUTJ4Q/

Police warn armed people surround Wendy's, forcing white people out
—-
We also saw a protester assault an Atlanta police officer after a man and woman claimed a mob of people stopped their car and attacked them as they tried to drive past the Wendy’s.

“It’s scary to have someone come after you like that. We take their side. We weren’t being disrespectful. We were just trying to get on the interstate. I was hit in the arms and the face and legs with the boulder,” one of the victims said.”

Armed protesters remain at Wendy’s where Rayshard Brooks was killed. So what’s next?
—-
Loved ones will gather today at 1 p.m. at Atlanta's historic Ebenezer Baptist Church. Dr. Martin Luther King's daughter is set to deliver remarks during the funeral, along with one of Brooks' friends, and his mother-in-law. Senior Pastor Rev. Raphael Warnock will be giving the eulogy.

Civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. was co-pastor of Ebenezer Baptist with his father until 1968.

On Monday, a public viewing took place at the church for the 27-year-old father of three. Photos of yesterday's public viewing:
Funeral for Rayshard Brooks to be held at historic Ebenezer Baptist Church
——-
Charged officer says he would not have done anything differently on the night Rayshard Brooks was killed - CNN

"At the end of the day, someone lost their life. To me, it's heartbreaking no matter the circumstances, no matter what," Atlanta police officer Devin Brosnan, 26, said. "When anybody dies truly is something you never want to see happen, to have happen. I can't imagine what a family would go through."

Brosnan admitted in the AJC interview that for his own safety he put his foot on the stricken Brooks, and video footage shows his foot was on Brooks for a few seconds.

"I feel like my side wasn't really heard and given the short timeframe it's hard for anybody to understand all the facts and the whole circumstances around it," the officer said in the newspaper interview. "That being said, I'm still willing to cooperate." "I'm not a cooperating witness; I'm cooperating. I think that's the takeaway," Brosnan said. "I'll tell the truth to anybody who needs to hear it."

"I just looked at it like, he could have just said I'm doing the right thing -- I'm talking," Brosnan said. "But it just seemed like it was more important to make it political than it was to get to the truth of the matter and get to the real facts of it. ... Some person lost their life. It's not something to make political."

Brosnan was the first officer to arrive June 12 after being called to the parking lot of a Wendy's restaurant in south Atlanta.

Brooks struggled with the officers and grabbed Brosnan's Taser, according to the Georgia Bureau of Investigation. In the scuffle, Brosnan was knocked backward and his head struck the pavement. Brosnan suffered a concussion from the blow, his attorney has said. The concussion left Brosnan feeling disoriented and terrified, and it was at this time when Brooks got control of his Taser, he told the AJC. Brosnan did not know all that had happened because of his concussion, he said.

"I hear gunfire," Brosnan told the AJC. "I know he still has my Taser. I know there's a crowd. I got up to him and I'm trying to figure out what's going on. You need to make sure you're safe before you can help or do anything else."

After Brooks was shot, Brosnan put his foot on the man, then removed it when he determined Brooks couldn't reach his Taser again, Brosnan told the AJC.

"It's totally just an instinctual thing for my own safety," he said. "When I realized I was safe that's when I take it off. In no way shape or form was I trying to hurt this man."

Brosnan will be interviewed Tuesday by the GBI ...

—-
Attorneys for Garrett Rolfe said in a statement Monday that "while we are waiting for the GBI to finish its investigation, there are certain allegations made by Paul Howard that are simply not supported by the facts."

For example, the statement says Howard has said Rolfe never told Brooks he was under arrest for driving under the influence.

"However, it is clear from the video that Officer Rolfe told Mr. Brooks, 'I think you've had too much to be driving. Put your hands behind your back.' Clearly this statement is sufficient to inform Mr. Brooks that he is under arrest," the lawyers said.

Rayshard Brooks killing: Lawyers for ex-officer dispute prosecutor's allegations

Also disputed were statutes regarding use of force; statements about whether a Taser is a deadly weapon; and details about the struggle over the Taser between Brooks and the officers.
Atlanta officer charged in Rayshard Brooks case: 'I have 100 percent faith the truth will come out'

Officer Brosnan, in an exclusive interview, said that he was surprised he's been criminally charged.

“I feel like my side wasn’t really heard and given the short timeframe it’s hard for anybody to understand all the facts and the whole circumstances around it,” he said. “That being said, I’m still willing to cooperate.”

He said he's often employed a laid-back style to defuse situations. Video footage shows him having a conversation with Brooks in a Wendy's fast-food parking lot after responding to a 911 call because Brooks fell asleep in his car in the drive-thru lane.

After smelling alcohol on his breath, Brosnan called for a certified DUI officer to come to the scene, which was Rolfe. After failing the breathalyzer test, Brooks tried to flee as he was being arrested. Brosnan slammed his head into the pavement during the ensuing struggle and suffered a concussion, the paper reported.

“You’re always taught in policing that you have to expect anything to happen,” Brosnan said. “But that being said, I felt like he was very respectful, I was respectful to him.”

Authorities said Brooks was not provided medical attention for more than two minutes after he was shot. Brosnan admitted to standing on Brooks shoulder after he was shot, but that he wasn't aware of it at the time because of the concussion.
—-

Rayshard Brooks' funeral: Bernice King demands end to racism 'virus,' seeks 'reparations'

"We cannot stop our demonstrations until our voices are heard and our demands for police reform are met. We must not stop until white supremacist policy and practices are no longer the order of today," Martin Luther King Jr's daughter, the Rev. Bernice King, said. "We will not stop until voter suppression is a thing of the past. We will not stop until reparations set us on a path to be free at last."

"Although I did not have a chance to meet Rayshard, I am here to stand with you in what feels like an all-too-familiar moment. Having a father killed when I was only 5 years of age, my heart deeply grieves for [his daughters] Dream, Memory, Blessing and [stepson] Mekai," King said. "I know the pain of growing up without a father and the ongoing attention around his tragic loss. I am and will continue to pray for each of you."
Snipped

Rayshard Brooks: In his own words. | Reconnect

In February of this year, we [Reconnect] set out to record the experiences of those who struggle within the criminal justice system in this country. We put out a Craigslist ad looking for people on probation or parole who were willing to share their story on camera in Atlanta or DC.

We received hundreds of responses, performed Skype pre-interviews with dozens of people, and headed down to Atlanta to film a handful of interviews. One of those interviews was with Rayshard Brooks. Stephen Quirk recorded these videos, and he’s written about his time with Rayshard.

Rayshard Brooks talked about need for justice system reform during in-depth interview

Rayshard Brooks shooting: 5 things to know about the district attorney who charged 2 Atlanta officers - CNN
----

“The attorneys for former Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe have filed new documents in court detailing the reasons the judge should grant their client bond. ”

“The bond hearing is set for Tuesday at 2 p.m”

Bond hearing scheduled Tuesday for officer involved in shooting of Rayshard Brooks
--------------------

“Attached to the bond motion was a “to whom it may concern” letter from Atlanta Police Department homicide detective Al Hogan, who arrived on the scene after the shooting. After returning to his office that night, Hogan said he was told Brooks was still alive at Grady Memorial Hospital but in critical condition.

Hogan said he reviewed audio and video evidence from the scene and interviews he had with witnesses. He said he determined several criminal charges should be brought against Brooks, including aggravated assault against a police officer, DUI, felony obstruction, robbery, and battery against a police officer.

“But before I was able to pursue the charges I was informed that Rayshard Brooks had died, negating the necessity for that portion of my investigation,” Hogan wrote.”

Former Atlanta police officer charged in Brooks killing seeks bond
-------------------------------------
Live Stream of hearing

Garrett Rolfe Bond Hearing, Ex-Cop Charged with Rayshard Brooks' Murder

Former Atlanta Officer Who Shot Rayshard Brooks Granted Bond
snipped
A judge on Tuesday ruled that the former Atlanta police officer who fatally shot Rayshard Brooks can be free on bond while his case is pending.

Fulton County Superior Court Judge Jane Barwick set a bond of $500,000 for Garrett Rolfe, who faces charges including felony murder in the killing of Brooks, a 27-year-old Black man

The Fulton County District Attorney's Office issued the following statement following the hearing:

“Despite evidence presented at the hearing by the State that showed that former Officer Rolfe engaged in several text message conversations with Atlanta Police Officers shortly after the incident, the Court did not require Rolfe to turn over the password to his cell phone. However, the Court did remind Rolfe and his counsel that they are not allowed to disturb or destroy evidence contained in the cellphone.”

Ex-Atlanta officer who shot Rayshard Brooks bonds out of jail

---

“She said Gov. Brian Kemp never asked her about his decision to declare a state of emergency and call in 1,000 National Guard troops to her city.”

Atlanta mayor says she opposes governor’s decision to call in National Guard
---

“You’re saying charges were brought too quickly in the Rayshard Brooks case?” Winne asked.“

“I think absolutely. I think that anytime the Georgia Bureau of Investigation is conducting an investigation and for us to get all the facts that’s, in our line of work, that’s what we have to do. We have to make sure that we have all the facts or enough facts to warrant charges,” Bryant said.“

Atlanta interim police chief says DA was too quick to bring charges in Rayshard Brooks shooting
----

EXCLUSIVE: GBI probe of Fulton County DA Paul Howard widens

ATLANTA - The FOX 5 I-Team has learned that the ongoing GBI criminal investigation of Fulton County District Attorney Paul Howard has widened.

The Georgia Attorney General has now asked the GBI to investigate grand jury subpoenas issued by Howard's office in the Rayshard Brooks murder case.

Senior I-Team reporter Dale Russell says those grand jury subpoenas were issued by Howard’s office even though there was no grand jury in place.

But, the I-Team has learned there was more to Howard's investigation. We obtained a copy of a Grand Jury subpoena, sent from Howard's office to the Atlanta Police department instructing them to turn over its "open investigation regarding Garrett Rolfe and the use of force incident."

The subpoena required that the documents be turned over for the "Grand Jury, June/July term on the of 14th day of July." Other grand jury subpoenas were issued for phone and surveillance camera videos.

But there is a problem. How can the grand jury issue these subpoenas when there is no grand jury. It had been suspended on March 13 because of the COVID-19 pandemic. And, legal experts we've talked to say Howard's grand jury subpoena with no grand jury in session could be an ethical or possibly criminal issue.

Now, the I-Team has learned that the subpoenas were brought to the attention of Attorney General Chris Carr, who sent this email to the GBI asking them to "expand the scope of its current investigation regarding District Attorney Paul Howard."

"That request has been sent through the chain of command to agents working that part of the investigation, they are aware of it , says GBI Director Vic Reynolds.

Reynolds says his agents will do whatever needs to be done to continue the investigation and now examine the legal issues surrounding the subpoenas.

(Is it fair to say if the Attorney General asks the GBI to look into this matter, you are looking into whether a crime was committed?)

"That's what the GBI does, yes sir," says Reynolds.

Collins accused Howard of overstepping his bounds at the expense of law enforcement.
Charging an Atlanta police officer with felony murder before completion of the GBI's investigation was a political decision, not a legal one," Collins said.”

“Howard initially told the Fulton County Daily Report that his office 'proactively' sent out grand jury subpoenas in advance of the expiration of the judicial emergency order 'in the hopes' that a grand jury might be able to convene once the order expired," the statement said, in part. "He later changed his story and said that the 'employee who issued the Grand Jury subpoena was under the impression that the March/April Grand Jury was still impaneled.' Obviously, these statements cannot be reconciled with each other."

Lawyers representing ex-Atlanta officer Garrett Rolfe applaud widening of GBI probe of Fulton Co. DA Paul Howard

eorge Floyd, Rayshard Brooks Lawyer Partners With eOne For Docuseries - Variety

L. Chris Stewart, the trial attorney currently representing the families of George Floyd and Rayshard Brooks, is teaming with eOne for a documentary series about his pursuit of justice for victims of police brutality.

The series, titled “Burden of Justice,” will see Stewart open up his life and his legal practice to show the harsh realities of creating social change. “Burden of Justice” was developed and is being spearhead for eOne by Madison Merritt, the studio’s executive vice president of development for unscripted TV.

Each episode of the show will use archival footage, interviews with families and friends of victims, witnesses, members of Stewart’s team, and Stewart’s own words to showcase these politically-charged cases in a new way.

Fani Willis unseats 6-term Fulton DA Paul Howard

Howard charged Atlanta police officer Garrett Rolfe, since fired, with 11 criminal counts, including felony murder, following the June 12 shooting of Rayshard Brooks. Officer Devin Brosnan faces charges of aggravated assault and violating his oath of office. Both are free on bond.

Critics accuse Howard of politicizing the case, noting that he had 43 prior police shooting cases on his desk that have yet to be adjudicated. The GBI has expanded its investigation and is now conducting a new probe into whether the DA’s office could legally issue grand jury subpoenas to get information about Rolfe.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back