GUILTY GA - Richard Vinson Merritt, 44, attorney, arrested for mom's murder, DeKalb Co., 5 Feb 2019

Doubtful since such an apparent narcissist in my opinion...

Police investigating body found in Chattahoochee River

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — A body found in the Chattahoochee River has led to a police and fire investigation in Cobb County.

Cobb County Police spokesperson Neil Penirelli said they were working with other agencies in reference to a body found in the river.

Cobb Fire spokesperson Denell Boyd said that around noon, they were called to assist Sandy Springs in a body recovery in the area of Akers Mill and Powers Ferry roads.

Doubtful since such an apparent narcissist in my opinion...

Police investigating body found in Chattahoochee River

COBB COUNTY, Ga. — A body found in the Chattahoochee River has led to a police and fire investigation in Cobb County.

Cobb County Police spokesperson Neil Penirelli said they were working with other agencies in reference to a body found in the river.

Cobb Fire spokesperson Denell Boyd said that around noon, they were called to assist Sandy Springs in a body recovery in the area of Akers Mill and Powers Ferry roads.
I think you are right about him being a narcissist. It wasn’t Richard:

“The Cobb County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit is investigating the death of a person who was found in the Chattahoochee River near Akers Drive and Akers Mill Road on April 6, 2019.

[SBM]

The Cobb County Medical Examiner’s Office assumed jurisdiction of the body shortly after and no foul play was suspected at that time.

The Cobb County Medical Examiner’s Office was able to positively identify the deceased person as 47-year-old Suzanne Elizabeth Giaimo of Atlanta. She had been reported missing on April 1, 2019.”
Death investigation | Cobb County Georgia

Rest in Peace, Suzanne.

I think you are right about him being a narcissist. It wasn’t Richard:

“The Cobb County Police Department’s Crimes Against Persons Unit is investigating the death of a person who was found in the Chattahoochee River near Akers Drive and Akers Mill Road on April 6, 2019.

[SBM]

The Cobb County Medical Examiner’s Office assumed jurisdiction of the body shortly after and no foul play was suspected at that time.

The Cobb County Medical Examiner’s Office was able to positively identify the deceased person as 47-year-old Suzanne Elizabeth Giaimo of Atlanta. She had been reported missing on April 1, 2019.”
Death investigation | Cobb County Georgia

Rest in Peace, Suzanne.
Thanks for the follow-up, IMHO. Let's hope Richard makes a mistake soon, if he's still alive.

Bumping this. I’m a family member and we need him caught.
I am so sorry for what you are going through, and for your loss of Shirley.

I can only imagine the fear and grief you must feel.

I was surprised that Inspector Lempka mentioned England, Caribbean and Mexico as some of the locations where Richard may be hiding. I hope that they were able to confiscates his passport before he took off.

I am so sorry for what you are going through, and for your loss of Shirley.

I can only imagine the fear and grief you must feel.

I was surprised that Inspector Lempka mentioned England, Caribbean and Mexico as some of the locations where Richard may be hiding. I hope that they were able to confiscates his passport before he took off.

Thank you. We were all shocked by all of this, from the beginning. The Mexico and Caribbean would not shock us/me. Saudi Arabia would not welcome him as they had much closer ties to his mom and dad than him and would consider him an enemy bc of what he did to his mom. England is an odd thing for them to throw in. We as family are still not sure about his passport but assume it was confiscated. Cash was taken so if he was able to get out of the country, likely just by paying people off.

Most likely bet is Mexico/Caribbean or Gulfcoast somewhere.

It’s just all been an unexpected wild ride...

10 hrs ago
“[SBM]

If it wasn’t for the prudence of some Nashville residents, [murder suspect Richard] Merritt would likely still be on the run, Inspector Eric Heinze of the U.S. Marshals Service’ Southeast Regional Fugitive Task Force told the MDJ on Tuesday.

Heinze, based in Atlanta, said police in Nashville responded to a 911 call from residents around 3 a.m. Friday about suspicious activity in the area near Vanderbilt University, where it appeared parked cars were being broken into.

Police started running the registration numbers of the vehicles parked in the area, and one tag didn’t match its car, Heinze said.

Further investigation revealed the car was the Lexus owned by Merritt’s 77-year-old mother, Shirley Merritt, whose stabbed and beaten body was found Feb. 2 inside her Stone Mountain home, where police found Merritt’s car in place of her missing Lexus.

‘That was the vehicle he was last seen driving,’ Heinze said, adding that the car was impounded and searched. ‘This was all assisted by locals reporting something suspicious when they didn’t even know what they saw and it’s a good reminder that if you see something suspicious, you never know what it could lead to. Last week we didn’t have anything really indicating he was in the Nashville area.’

Law enforcement officers across the country were alerted, flying into Nashville within hours to hone in on Merritt.

Information in the vehicle indicated he was still in Nashville and was likely to frequent certain ‘hangouts,’ Heinze said.

On Monday afternoon, the subsequent surveillance on Merritt paid off when an officer spotted him walking down Charlotte Avenue in central Nashville, where he entered a thrift store.

Once confronted inside the store by officers and asked to identify himself, Merritt simply replied, ‘You know who I am,’ and was taken into custody without incident, Heinze said.

As for how he managed to stay hidden all this time, that remains somewhat of a mystery.

Heinze said there’s no evidence yet whether Merritt was in Nashville, about 250 miles from Cobb County, the whole time he was hiding.

[SBM]”
Merritt faces double prison time in Cobb, DA says

Updated 1 hr ago | Posted on Oct 1, 2019
“MARIETTA, Ga. (CBS46) -- The eight-month-long search for 44-year-old Richard Vinson Merritt is over. U.S. Marshals took Merritt into custody in Nashville, Tennessee on Monday.

‘I was in shock, I started screaming, I just couldn’t believe it. I was so excited, it seemed like it wasn’t real,’ said Jenine Minicozzi, Richard Merritt’s ex-wife.

Minicozzi was married to Richard Merritt for 19 years, they divorced in June of 2018. She said she had no idea he was stealing money from people.

‘No idea whatsoever, total double life,’ added Minicozzi.

[SBM]

Minicozzi says he had an anger problem, and he was a verbally abusive alcoholic.

‘But I never thought he would do anything physical, much less, commit murder,’ Minicozzi said.

Merritt was captured in Nashville by Dekalb and Cobb County authorities, as well as the U.S. Marshals at a thrift store.

‘He wasn’t smart, he wasn’t very far from home, he worked in bar for god’s sake, bars are where they were searching for him, he still had the car, this doesn’t seem very well thought out,’ said Minicozzi.

Marshals located his vehicle at the store along with evidence that indicated he would be back around that thrift store.

‘My biggest source of joy right now is that people can maybe see me and my children without talking about this,’ Minicozzi said.

Minicozzi said they hope he goes away for the rest of his life, as this has been very difficult for their family, especially Merritt’s only son.

‘Now he thinks that the dad that he thought he had was not real,’ said Minicozzi, ‘The capture has been hard for him, because now he looks at the pictures, and says, I can’t believe this is my dad.’”
Ex-wife, children of Richard Merritt relieved by his arrest

:(

A disgraced Decatur attorney accused of stabbing and beating his mother to death is set to face a jury starting next week.

Richard Merritt, 48, has been charged with malice murder, two counts of felony murder, two counts of aggravated assault and possession of a knife during the commission of a felony.

[snip]

Jury selection will begin Monday, May 23 at the DeKalb County courthouse.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VT_Squire
Back