CONVICTION OVERTURNED GA - Ross Harris Trial Appeal, hot car death of son, Cooper

As for the D-pix, I agree that was probably unnecessary. But I don't think it rises to the level of overturning the conviction.

JMO IMO
So a certain amount of prejudicial evidence is not a problem. I'll have to think about that in regards to this case. JMO.

I don't think any of the evidence in question should be excluded. The sheer magnitude of his selfishness and depravity should be included because he is accused of committing the most selfish and depraved act imaginable.

I agree with the lead prosecutor that every piece of evidence pointed to his guilt.
They said they will ask the GSC to revisit their opinion but that is unlikely since they already saw all of the evidence, including RH repeatedly telling his sexting partners that he wanted to be 'single again'. I guess the court thought RH meant that he wanted to be a single dad when he said that.

Not the OP, but how about a certain amount of evidence is indicative, illustrative, illuminating?

jmho ymmv lrr
I'm not sure what you mean. Are your saying as long as the evidence is relevant it should be allowed?

Last edited:
I don't think any of the evidence in question should be excluded. The sheer magnitude of his selfishness and depravity should be included because he is accused of committing the most selfish and depraved act imaginable.

I agree with the lead prosecutor that every piece of evidence pointed to his guilt.
They said they will ask the GSC to revisit their opinion but that is unlikely since they already saw all of the evidence, including RH repeatedly telling his sexting partners that he wanted to be 'single again'. I guess the court thought RH meant that he wanted to be a single dad when he said that.

I'm in agreement with you. He strikes me as a Scott Peterson type, wanting to be single and free of both his marriage and fatherhood to play around. If he wanted to be a single dad, why not divorce or kill her instead? The only difference is that Scott's son wasn't born yet when he murdered her.

Wow I hope no one is ever in any of your blind spots! (Especially anyone or anything I care about!)

In this state you won't pass your driver's license exam unless you do.

Recommended wherever I look:

• Do not depend only on your mirrors or only looking out a side window.
  • Turn and look over your right and left shoulders before you begin backing. As a safety measure, look over your right and left shoulders again while backing.

Turn and look over your right shoulder when backing out the vehicle. Do not depend only using your mirrors.

What should you do before backing out of a diagonal parking space?
be sure that the way is clear, look over your shoulder while backing, and yield to approaching traffic

Per usual, your mileage may vary....
I was also taught in Drivers Training- many years ago in school, but I still remember the acronym- MSMOG- Mirror, Signal, Mirror, Over the Shoulder, Go for making a lane change.

I'm in agreement with you. He strikes me as a Scott Peterson type, wanting to be single and free of both his marriage and fatherhood to play around. If he wanted to be a single dad, why not divorce or kill her instead? The only difference is that Scott's son wasn't born yet when he murdered her.
Can you imagine the public outcry if the the cheating evidence was going to be excluded in Peterson's new trial? The Georgia court basically said it's not as if Harris killed his wife.

Actually there is a good chance Laci would still be alive if she hadn't been pregnant. There's a very strong argument to be made that any cheating evidence is even more relevant if a child is killed, since divorce is an easy solution to ending a marriage but not to being a parent.

Last edited:
JMO but I don't think any of the character evidence given in support of RH was convincing at all, especially what his wife said. She did know him the best and she knew immediately what had happened to Cooper when he was missing, she was doubting whether he even wanted kids and she was asking if he said too much because she was worried about him implicating himself, IMO.

RH told people that Cooper was 'his life'. That's exactly What Chris Watts said about Bella and Cece after he murdered them. Yet neither were grief-stricken after they killed their kids, IMO.

Last edited:
I don't see a comparison in this case and Scott Peterson. Why didn't RH kill his wife when she was pregnant with Cooper if his goal was the same as SP?

Why did he wait until Cooper was nearly two years old to kill him? Why didn't he kill or divorce his wife if he wanted to be single? How does him killing Cooper make him single? JMO.

I don't see a comparison in this case and Scott Peterson. Why didn't RH kill his wife when she was pregnant with Cooper if his goal was the same as SP?

Why did he wait until Cooper was nearly two years old to kill him? Why didn't he kill or divorce his wife if he wanted to be single? How does him killing Cooper make him single? JMO.
We don't know Ross's mindset. I'm not sure that I ever want to relate to that kind of sickness, so we don't know why he didn't act sooner or go after Leanna. I'm guessing that he figured that she would divorce him following Cooper's death, which she did, just for different reasons (the cheating). I don't see him wanting to be a single dad. It'd still interfere with him playing around with other women. Wives and children are both impediments to that. In alot of the true crime shows I watch, the perps see murder as a better option than divorce. Sometimes it's their religion which frowns upon divorce, or oftentimes it's because the life insurance pays off and there's no alimony to have to pay.

We don't know Ross's mindset. I'm not sure that I ever want to relate to that kind of sickness, so we don't know why he didn't act sooner or go after Leanna. I'm guessing that he figured that she would divorce him following Cooper's death, which she did, just for different reasons (the cheating). I don't see him wanting to be a single dad. It'd still interfere with him playing around with other women. Wives and children are both impediments to that. In alot of the true crime shows I watch, the perps see murder as a better option than divorce. Sometimes it's their religion which frowns upon divorce, or oftentimes it's because the life insurance pays off and there's no alimony to have to pay.
First you say that we don't know Ross's mindset and then you go on to say you do know his mindset with your comment about you don't see him wanting to be a single dad. A bit confusing to me.

In my opinion the evidence in this case was not very strong in showing RH did not want to be a single dad or how that would impede his activities. JMO.

First you say that we don't know Ross's mindset and then you go on to say you do know his mindset with your comment about you don't see him wanting to be a single dad. A bit confusing to me.

In my opinion the evidence in this case was not very strong in showing RH did not want to be a single dad or how that would impede his activities. JMO.
Sorry if my post wasn't clearer, I'm tired and the coffee hasn't kicked in. It's my opinion based on what I see that Ross didn't want to be a single dad- it impeded his sexting life (therefore I think that it SHOULD be included in the trial because it goes to motive)- he also searched for the term "Child-Free Life", I believe that we found previous evidence of that, But what I mean to say is that no one ever truely knows what goes on in such a dark mind, and I'm not sure that I at least ever want to. About 4 years ago I found myself in a position of having to transcribe and type up some notes that a boy who stalked my daughter had written. Really disturbing and dark stuff.

Sorry if my post wasn't clearer, I'm tired and the coffee hasn't kicked in. It's my opinion based on what I see that Ross didn't want to be a single dad- it impeded his sexting life (therefore I think that it SHOULD be included in the trial because it goes to motive)- he also searched for the term "Child-Free Life", I believe that we found previous evidence of that, But what I mean to say is that no one ever truely knows what goes on in such a dark mind, and I'm not sure that I at least ever want to. About 4 years ago I found myself in a position of having to transcribe and type up some notes that a boy who stalked my daughter had written. Really disturbing and dark stuff.
Being a father certainly didn't impede RH from sexting numerous women over a long period of time. The excessive amount of evidence supporting that activity is one of the reasons why his conviction was overturned by the GSC. Looks like we will have to agree to disagree on this. JMO.

Right, I get that. But the majority opinion ands I disagree about the 'intent' behind RH's actions.

They assume his intent when he was sending those texts was just about his sexual conduct.

I believe that he CHOSE to make a right turn towards his office as opposed to a left turn towards the daycare. His intent was to allow Cooper to stay buckled into the car that morning, while RH continued his obsessive sexting, with no annoying need to stop to cater to his son's needs anymore.

The court assumes there was no intent behind the decision to skip daycare drop off that morning. I don't make that assumption.

I see this as a malice murder. When I saw what RH did that tragic day, in each momentum, decision by decision----I saw intent to end his child's life. JMO
I agree with this 100%. IMO, Ross didn't forget to take Cooper to daycare; he chose not to do it. I listened to the trial in its entirety, and the most damning witness for RH was actually the memory witness expert called by the defense. The witness testified that a person cannot forget something while the thought is in the person's short term memory. It's a rather unfortunate fact for Ross that he had to both make a decision about which lane to enter as soon as he left CFA and look at THD (daycare location) as he left CFA. After hearing all of the evidence, I believe that he didn't forget Cooper in the car; he intentionally left him there.

I agree with this 100%. IMO, Ross didn't forget to take Cooper to daycare; he chose not to do it. I listened to the trial in its entirety, and the most damning witness for RH was actually the memory witness expert called by the defense. The witness testified that a person cannot forget something while the thought is in the person's short term memory. It's a rather unfortunate fact for Ross that he had to both make a decision about which lane to enter as soon as he left CFA and look at THD (daycare location) as he left CFA. After hearing all of the evidence, I believe that he didn't forget Cooper in the car; he intentionally left him there.
That's exactly what I got from the trial as well. And I watched every day of the trial. I think it was clear that he purposely skipped daycare drop off, and that entire workday he was just waiting for the horrific ending to be over with.

JMO but I don't think any of the character evidence given in support of RH was convincing at all, especially what his wife said. She did know him the best and she knew immediately what had happened to Cooper when he was missing, she was doubting whether he even wanted kids and she was asking if he said too much because she was worried about him implicating himself, IMO.

RH told people that Cooper was 'his life'. That's exactly What Chris Watts said about Bella and Cece after he murdered them. Yet neither were grief-stricken after they killed their kids, IMO.
Her story is she weighed the possibilities and panicked at the thought of the worst one. But not because she has ever believed Harris intentionally left Cooper in the car. Because, she says, Harris was very forgetful.

The Harris case question is all about intent. There is no question of intent with Watts. I see very little similar about the Watts case. And Watts may have shown no grief over his dead kids, but that's not true with Harris, although some believe he was faking it.

I'm guessing that we all agree that he had an addiction to sex but disagree about whether he wanted to try to continue living that lifestyle as a married father, or as a divorced father, or whether he would kill his own child to get out of a situation he repeatedly said he didn't like.

i agree that the 4 blown up size photo's of his erect p***S did not need to be shown to the jury, im sure most know what that looks like without being shown. The sexting WAS a major factor in the decision RH made by turning right. In my opinion he didnt forget to take copper to day care he CHOSE to turn right and leave cooper in the car. I cannot find the bit im thinking of in the trial, that shown he had actually read an article about hot car deaths and how dangerous it was. If he was already concerned or aware about that happening, to me that would make me extra vigilant about my child in the car.
I seem to remember also the car seat used that day was normally not used but its so much to read through to find it.
found it lol..

Toddler who died in dad's hot SUV 'had been switched out of his new forward-facing car seat and put in old rear-facing one even though it was too small'​

• Justin Ross Harris is accused of leaving his 22-month-old son Cooper to die in a scorching hot SUV on June 18
  • The toddler was in a rear-facing seat rather than a forward-facing one, which would have made it easier for Harris to see his son
  • Wife Leanna hasn't been charged but there are growing suspicions over her odd behavior in the wake of her son's death
  • Police previously disclosed that the parents had researched children dying in hot cars online

I'm guessing that we all agree that he had an addiction to sex but disagree about whether he wanted to try to continue living that lifestyle as a married father, or as a divorced father, or whether he would kill his own child to get out of a situation he repeatedly said he didn't like.
I disagree with several things. First, if he actually forgot Cooper - which knowing about other hot car cases I think is quite possible - the sexting obsession may have played a big role in that forgetfulness that morning.

Secondly, while I agree he was an immature and selfish man who liked the idea of freedom and lots of women (like countless husbands before and after him), I don't see an automatic leap from this to torturing his baby to death, a baby who by all accounts he seemed to enjoy very much. Someone can resent his loss of single freedoms but still love his kids. The two are not mutually exclusive.

And mostly I disagree with posters who "know" what Harris's intentions were that morning. There is no way for me or you or anyone else to know what he intended. It's a difficult thing to prove in this sort of situation. Which, IMO, is precisely why the prosecution poisoned the well by overdoing the sexual history material - the endless female witnesses and blown up di*k pix - thereby prejudicing the jury against him. Some texts were clearly needed to establish what was going on, especially that day, but most of it was to make Harris look as bad as possible to the jury.

Maybe he did intend to kill Cooper. I don't know. God knows he behaved strangely at the scene and during the police interview. But I do suspect the reason the prosecution did what they did was to ensure a malice murder charge would stick. If he's tried again - and I hope he is - I suspect they will go for lesser charges this time. Because I don't think they have enough evidence to prove intent without prejudicing a jury.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back