Found Deceased GA - Shanequa Sullivan, 23, autistic, Atlanta, 4 Feb 2018

I suppose they know what they're doing but if a relative of mine had been found possibly in water for several weeks and happens to be in different (or without the same clothing as when they disappeared) I'd want dental records checked as well at least, not just fingerprints.

Sounds like the crucial first 48 hours nothing was done due to the missing person report being shifted between jurisdictions, and then the video evidence of Shanequa going back to the airport for help was not preserved and so is lost. Not a great start. Does sound like Shanequa tried to make contact with a couple of people using a co-worker's phone but they don't yet have the phone records, shouldn't that at least have been jumped on straight away, when did they know about that? Had they investigated that earlier, got the video evidence early on perhaps there might have been a chance to save her? There must be a huge number of cameras in an airport and outside, they might even have caught her getting into a vehicle?

The body was intact (head and limbs) but decomposed. Cause of death not yet known, no obvious injuries at first sight, wonder what they are waiting on, toxicology? Must be awful for the family, the way it looks very much like no-one investigated this properly in the early stages. If it isn't a person with a connection to her it's now going to be very difficult to track them down.

https://www.instagram.com/shanequaqua/

This is a link to Shanequa's Instagram. On the 24 Jan she has a picture of a ticket for orientation at a restaurant in Jonesboro on the 25th. Was she applying for a new job? I wonder if she met someone at that orientation?

One thing worries me is she gave her phone number out in a January pic... She also did that under a June pic but it is a different number.

Newton Sheriff’s Office seeks public’s help in solving mystery of girl’s death

The GBI Medical Examiner found the body to be of a black or bi-racial female ranging in age from 12-30 years old, about 5 feet in height and 80-100 pounds. The body was found completely intact, contrary to earlier reports, and there were no obvious scars, marks or tattoos on the body, nor any obvious signs of traumatic injury. The ME determined that the body had been in the river from three weeks to a month prior to being found.

http://www.rockdalenewtoncitizen.co...ece0f469a1.html#tncms-source=article-nav-next

Three weeks to a month? Where was she for the rest of the time??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Three weeks to a month? Where was she for the rest of the time??

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
She was missing for 4 weeks. Last seen on Feb 4th and found on Mar 4th. So she may have been taken and killed almost immediately imo.

Clothing she was last seen in was not the clothing they found on her body.
I'm hoping the river currents pulled her clothing off, and that she was not sexually abused. Her poor grandmother

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

I'm hoping the river currents pulled her clothing off, and that she was not sexually abused. Her poor grandmother

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk

In the PC they emphasized that the clothing she was wearing when she was last seen, was not the clothing she was found in, as if she had on different clothes, not that she was unclothed. I may have misunderstood so am interested in what others think.

Has everyone watched the video where Shanequa purportedly swipes her MARTA card (this is slightly off camera), then is said to wander aimlessly as though she doesn't know what to do?

Watch it again. Is she wandering aimlessly? Now and then, she puts her phone to her ear. We are told her phone service was cut off, but are there apps that kids are using that involve live audio.

My theory is that she is not wandering aimlessly. She is waiting for someone.

I must add that it is a travesty that the Atlanta airport deleted the footage of what happened next. Whether it was a failure of the airport to retain it, or of whoever had jurisdiction to request it, I can't say.

I agree, my first impression was that Shanequa was holding something, presumably a phone, up to her ear at the Marta. And yes, she did look like she was hanging about for someone or something. I just don't understand enough about phones and apps to know what could have been happening with her phone :thinking: (too old!). I wondered if perhaps she had got talking with someone who took the Marta at the same times and was waiting to see if they showed up to help her? Or some people pretend to be on the phone, I have heard, if they feel a bit unsafe?

With regard to the clothes, it was an unusual way to phrase things. My immediate thought was that Shanequa was found in something that was very much a contrast to what she had last been seen in. Perhaps sort of party, glamorous, more dressed up than her work outfit. It seemed to be one of those things LE want to keep back in order to trip up any suspects. It could fit in with what I suspect happened, ie that someone she knew or had a slight acquaintance coerced her into doing certain things, which Shanequa then protested at and then her abductor became violent. I wish that wasn't the scenario but sadly for a vulnerable young woman, I think it's the most obvious motive to harm her.
The loss of the video is a big error on the part of the initial investigators, if there was much initial investigation which I'm not convinced of. But at the very least they could have called the airport and told them to retain the footage from that day. Even if the police couldn't be bothered to review it, Shanequa's employer has a duty of care towards her and as soon as they knew she was missing probably from their premises, they should have made efforts to get statements from colleagues (just as a workplace incident) and retained their footage. ESPECIALLY as Shanequa was a disabled employee, they should have had measures in place to give her extra help if and when she needed it.

I wonder if she had two phones. A lot of people here have a regular phone and a government one and if she got SSDI/SSI, she would have been eligible for one. She also lists two numbers on the Instagram page.

I do think LE is holding back. I also notice the Instagram page says she is "simgle again" and LE mentioned speaking with a boyfriend. LE also mentioned that Shanequa had a conversation with a coworker after going back into the airport. Maybe we will learn more soon.

Internal police investigation launched after woman's body found, surveillance missing
http://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/int...-after-womans-body-found-surveillance-missing
ATLANTA - Atlanta Police have launched an internal investigation to find out if any officers made errors while investigating a missing Atlanta Airport worker's disappearance, and how most of the airport surveillance tracking her movements ended up deleted.

[...]

(Video at link)

Poor grandmother. I'd be full of rage too. She begged and pleaded for help to find Shanequa. And they were either so incompetent or just cared so little that they couldn't be bothered to look at the video early on and ensure it was saved?! :/ I just feel like the poor and disabled get little help or attention. You have to be important enough for someone to care and press the issue.

Or maybe the APD just really suck? I'm still amazed at how little was done to find Jenna.

I live here and I would classify the APD as incompetent. The airport is also a city unto itself and had the responsibility to preserve the footage. And the media, who are collectively patting themselves on the back now for exposing this incompetence, should have actually covered the story earlier.

Poor grandmother. I'd be full of rage too. She begged and pleaded for help to find Shanequa. And they were either so incompetent or just cared so little that they couldn't be bothered to look at the video early on and ensure it was saved?! :/ I just feel like the poor and disabled get little help or attention. You have to be important enough for someone to care and press the issue.

Or maybe the APD just really suck? I'm still amazed at how little was done to find Jenna.

Add people of color to that list. Non-white people always get less media attention and it makes me feel like perhaps they get less police attention as well. It's awful.

Nothing new, so I'll add my thoughts on the investigation. I hope that Newton County law enforcement has more than they are telling us, because the latest from APD is them admitting they botched it with the video footage. I'm afraid the criticism of the police is distracting people from finding the killer. If we need footage, does anyone else have it? What did she say to her coworker? I can't imagine she didn't tell him or her she was stranded if that was the case. What about the phone? Can it be tracked on airport wifi?

I live here and I would classify the APD as incompetent. The airport is also a city unto itself and had the responsibility to preserve the footage. And the media, who are collectively patting themselves on the back now for exposing this incompetence, should have actually covered the story earlier.
The media didn't expose it. The Newton county sheriff department did when they found her body and checked with the Airport PD I think. By then it was past the 28 days that they keep the footage, as he stated at the PC. He did not sound too impressed.
I agree that the media need to cover these missing cases much earlier on (Jenna's case is another missing autistic adult that media are not covering adequately) and there should be an alert system for vulnerable adults going missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back