GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

Sheriff Sills once said he would ride his bicycle from here to McIntyre backward with thumbtacks in his butt if he thought it would solve this case. So... I would hope he's still trying and testing all the latest techniques but who knows?

Sheriff Sills (bicycle/thumbtacks) direct quote can be found here:

6 YEARS LATER
I was wondering when the article was written, it has no date... so I went looking for it.. it seems it was published in May 2020, two years ago. So I'm guessing they didn't get anywhere with the new technology?

6 YEARS LATER

Wondering if they have contacted @othram yet?
Thanks for the link.. rbbm.

''Technology may be the link that’s been missing in finding out who murdered Russell and Shirley Dermond six years ago. Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said he met with FBI agents for several hours last week to discuss how technology now being used to solve and prosecute cases could help in the Dermond case.

“We looked over some of the photographs of the crime scene and talked about a lot of things,” Sills said. “We talked a lot about technology that is available today that wasn’t available primarily back then.”

Russell Dermond, 88, and his wife, Shirley, 87, were brutally killed in early May 2014. They had accepted an invitation to attend a Derby Day Party at the home of some friends but never showed up at the party. The party’s hostess asked a mutual friend to take some roses from the party over to the Dermonds and to check on them; and through a window, he saw Russell Dermond’s lifeless, decapitated body in the garage. Mrs. Dermond’s corpse was found by fishermen in Lake Oconee more than a week later about six miles from the couple’s home in Great Waters.''

''Agents with the FBI’s Behavioral Unit have also been involved.
Anyone with information about this case should call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 706-485-8557 or leave a tip via the website at putnamcountysheriff. org. Scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on “Crime Tip Hotline – Submit Via Email.”

“I’ll just say that there was valuable evidence that we have yet to match up to anything.”

Praying that this case gets solved!

Wondering if they have contacted @othram yet?
Thanks for the link.. rbbm.

''Technology may be the link that’s been missing in finding out who murdered Russell and Shirley Dermond six years ago. Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said he met with FBI agents for several hours last week to discuss how technology now being used to solve and prosecute cases could help in the Dermond case.

“We looked over some of the photographs of the crime scene and talked about a lot of things,” Sills said. “We talked a lot about technology that is available today that wasn’t available primarily back then.”

Russell Dermond, 88, and his wife, Shirley, 87, were brutally killed in early May 2014. They had accepted an invitation to attend a Derby Day Party at the home of some friends but never showed up at the party. The party’s hostess asked a mutual friend to take some roses from the party over to the Dermonds and to check on them; and through a window, he saw Russell Dermond’s lifeless, decapitated body in the garage. Mrs. Dermond’s corpse was found by fishermen in Lake Oconee more than a week later about six miles from the couple’s home in Great Waters.''

''Agents with the FBI’s Behavioral Unit have also been involved.
Anyone with information about this case should call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 706-485-8557 or leave a tip via the website at putnamcountysheriff. org. Scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on “Crime Tip Hotline – Submit Via Email.”

“I’ll just say that there was valuable evidence that we have yet to match up to anything.”

Praying that this case gets solved!

There is new evidence in the murder of a Putnam County couple in their 80s.

Thursday marked eight years since someone killed Shirley and Russell Dermond at their Lake Oconee home.

Channel 2′s Justin Wilfon learned that there is new evidence from the FBI that is giving investigators new hope in trying to solve the case.

There is new evidence in the murder of a Putnam County couple in their 80s.

Thursday marked eight years since someone killed Shirley and Russell Dermond at their Lake Oconee home.

Channel 2′s Justin Wilfon learned that there is new evidence from the FBI that is giving investigators new hope in trying to solve the case.

Hoping and praying they can solve this case and find the monsters that did this.

''On Friday, eight years to the day that investigators began probing the grisly deaths of Shirley and Russell Dermond, the county sheriff hunting their still-at-large killer or killers revealed that a potential lead could provide a crucial break in the near-decade-cold case. Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills told The Telegraph last May that he and his investigators were “trying to obtain data of a highly technical nature that I believe will be fruitful. ... I’ve obtained some of it and I have reason to believe that when I obtain the rest of the data and sort it out that it may well lead me to a suspect or suspects in this case.” That information has, of late, become available. Sills told The Telegraph on Friday that the possible lead is “not a silver bullet for sure, but it’s something we’re gonna really look into.” Though he declined to divulge the exact nature of what investigators are examining, the sheriff said, “We have acquired data from telecommunications devices that were in the areas of the Dermond home and where Mrs. Dermond’s body was recovered.”

''He said investigators were “now analyzing data to see if we can identify persons who were in the proximity of both locations at the time we suspect the murders occurred.” Sills declined to say whether the lead involves cellphone data, but such measures, which are now commonly used by law enforcement officials, would not be an unlikely avenue to try.''

Read more at: https://www.macon.com/news/local/crime/article261198497.html#storylink=cpy
rbbm.

Cell phone analysis...the new DNA.
Hoping this will lead to an arrest.

Another same-type-article, but a bit different:

New technology that provides data related to cellphones was recently shared with Sills by agents with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI).

Such technology did not exist years ago when the Dermonds were murdered.

"I received some data just last week from the FBI concerning this case," Sills said. "The FBI downloaded it into their software program, and we're examining it now."
The sheriff said he didn't know whether or not it was the type of evidence that could break the case.

"We just don't know yet," Sills said.
"As recently as last week, I obtained some records with a search warrant and I'm looking at that stuff right now," Sills said. "Is it a hot lead? The answer to that is, no."
The sheriff said he had always been bothered by the way Shirley Dermond was killed.

"It was very violent, and that usually is indicative of some type of anger toward that person," Sills said.
"The only thing that we know was disturbed in the home at the time was that someone took a lamp and put it on the trunk lid of one of the cars in the garage," Sills said. "And they took the shade off it."

Sills still pursuing leads in unsolved double-murder case

I think that's the first time I've heard that a lamp was taken from the room and put onto the trunk of a car in the garage, with the shade off? I recall at one point, him saying that there was a lamp which had been disturbed. imo.

My interpretation of this article is that FBI shared some new technological advances with SS, and as a result, he obtained a search warrant to obtain some records, .... that data finally arrived, and he gave it to the FBI to put into their software. Sounds rather hopeful,............. ??

Cell phone analysis...the new DNA.
Hoping this will lead to an arrest.
From the above article:

"Just last week I received some data, primarily cell phone data, that we have been waiting on for some time. That data was downloaded into a program the FBI has and they are assisting us in analyzing the data now.

"The technology we are using was not in existence back in 2014. I don’t want to create an impression that I have acquired some silver bullet, but this is yet another tool we are using trying to find out who perpetrated these heinous crimes.

We know that two years ago, at the 6 year anniversary point in time, SS was talking about technology that hadn't been available in 2014...... could it really have taken 2 years to receive the information for which he provided a warrant to obtain? I know from other cases it can take ages.. but... never suspected it could be anywhere near two years?? Or is this yet another 'new technology which wasn't available two years ago'?

We know that two years ago, at the 6 year anniversary point in time, SS was talking about technology that hadn't been available in 2014...... could it really have taken 2 years to receive the information for which he provided a warrant to obtain? I know from other cases it can take ages.. but... never suspected it could be anywhere near two years?? Or is this yet another 'new technology which wasn't available two years ago'?
^^rsbm
Eight years and technology is a very long time! I think the delay could have been a combination of both technology and obtaining the data. We know that data from some phone applications, owned by Apple especially, have previously been delayed if not denied. MOO

Just another SS teaser, imo. Another shameless attempt to get attention and extend his 15 min of fame, all at the expense of the Dermond murder case. There is zero reason for him to (once again) teasingly suggest that he might be onto something: It’s really high tech… I can’t tell you what it is.. because it’s top secret.. but I’m really onto something this time. Believe me, this could be it. You probably never heard of it, cuz it’s real high tech.

If he only “might” be into something, what’s the point of going public with it (8 years after the crime)? Why not wait until you are actually onto something? Why the constant attention seeking? How ‘bout first solve the case, THEN tell us how you solved it?

It sadly reminds me of DC in the the Delphi case: “we’re gonna get you.. we’re coming.. you might think we don’t know what you think you know - but we know that you think that we don’t know that, so..just know that we know. You can count on that.

I hope you can sleep well at night knowing that.. because we’re onto you. And we know you’re hiding in plain sight because you think nobody can see you. But we know you’re probably in this very room right now and that you think you’re hiding. But we know you’re not, because you’re in plain sight!

We’re going to ride our bikes backwards while sitting on thumb tacks until we solve this case, even if it’s the last thing we ever do. We’re not retiring (even if the case never gets solved) because we are the only ones capable of solving it.

Sorry for the vent. Just very frustrated.

All JMO

Just another SS teaser, imo. Another shameless attempt to get attention and extend his 15 min of fame, all at the expense of the Dermond murder case. There is zero reason for him to (once again) teasingly suggest that he might be onto something: It’s really high tech… I can’t tell you what it is.. because it’s top secret.. but I’m really onto something this time. Believe me, this could be it. You probably never heard of it, cuz it’s real high tech.

If he only “might” be into something, what’s the point of going public with it (8 years after the crime)? Why not wait until you are actually onto something? Why the constant attention seeking? How ‘bout first solve the case, THEN tell us how you solved it?

It sadly reminds me of DC in the the Delphi case: “we’re gonna get you.. we’re coming.. you might think we don’t know what you think you know - but we know that you think that we don’t know that, so..just know that we know. You can count on that.

I hope you can sleep well at night knowing that.. because we’re onto you. And we know you’re hiding in plain sight because you think nobody can see you. But we know you’re probably in this very room right now and that you think you’re hiding. But we know you’re not, because you’re in plain sight!

We’re going to ride our bikes backwards while sitting on thumb tacks until we solve this case, even if it’s the last thing we ever do. We’re not retiring (even if the case never gets solved) because we are the only ones capable of solving it.

Sorry for the vent. Just very frustrated.

All JMO

I feel the same.

I think that's the first time I've heard that a lamp was taken from the room and put onto the trunk of a car in the garage, with the shade off? I recall at one point, him saying that there was a lamp which had been disturbed. imo.

RSBM

Interesting info about the lamp being moved to car trunk. I hadn't heard it either. I wonder if the killers didn't want to turn on the overhead light in the garage and instead utilized the lamp during the decapitation (assuming, of course, there was an outlet near to the car trunk) and removal of the shade provided more illumination?

RSBM

Interesting info about the lamp being moved to car trunk. I hadn't heard it either. I wonder if the killers didn't want to turn on the overhead light in the garage and instead utilized the lamp during the decapitation (assuming, of course, there was an outlet near to the car trunk) and removal of the shade provided more illumination?
The image of a lamp without a shade brings to mind a torture/ interrogation room, imo.
1652765765378.png
rbbm.
''Imagine a light bulb hanging from a ceiling, swinging back and forth. The rest of the room can be conjured from just that initial image: the walls are probably cracked or concrete, a broken chair may lie on the ground, and the atmosphere is definitely cold. The naked bulb summons scenes from interrogation rooms, torture chambers, and basements of serial killers. Yet just one important detail—one addition to the scene—can undo all of that doom and gloom. That one addition is a lampshade. Suddenly we’re transported to a room of decadence, elegance, and warmth.''

I dunno. Seems to me that the lamp disclosure by SS appears inconsistent from year to year. I recall earlier where we learned the only thing that appeared disturbed inside the residence was a table lamp where the lampshade was askew. There was no mention of the lamp being moved outside of the house.

Last May 2021 during HLN program, SS revealed the table lamp was moved to the garage.

And this year May 2022 -- SS reveals that the lamp was on top of the car trunk lid inside the garage, and the shade removed:

"The only thing that we know was disturbed in the home at the time was that someone took a lamp and put it on the trunk lid of one of the cars in the garage," Sills said. "And they took the shade off it."

5/7/22 Sills still pursuing leads in unsolved double-murder case

It was in the Real Life Nightmare program on HLN. It would seem it went from a lamp shade being tilted to a lamp being moved to the garage.

Interesting about the lamp!

Maybe SS told the truth about finding a lamp on a table with the shade being tilted but had left out the fact that another lamp had been taken to the garage? Maybe the bulb was out on the first lamp? Why take a lamp to the garage? Maybe because the lights overhead were blocked by the cars and more closer light was needed to aid in the decapitation? Maybe someone to hold it while another person did the cutting? No flashlight - not prepared in advance.

Just another thought - lamp cords are never very long and receptacles in a garage are never where you need them. It extension cords were not hanging up in the garage, maybe they had to open drawers to find an extension cord/s long enough to reach the body? Somewhere there may be some fingerprints or DNA?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back