GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20100804/PC16/308049950

About the suspect in custody

He is a sex offender who raped an elderly woman in 2010.

He had been at large for a week when he was arrested.
He had left a soda can that the victim had given him in the yard.
Doesn't sound very meticulous. But, who really knows what forensics LE found on the Dermond's property? I hope something was left behind that will provide conclusive evidence once the perp. is found.

Multiplicativity A blogger that gave us that information

And since the poster said unnamed sources, it is not discussible on websleuths per TOS, as that information is rumor and not from LE and not from MSM.
When things like this are entered on the thread it is difficult to discern fact from fiction and it is against the rules, no rumors.
IMOO.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Prolly unrelated to SD or the above missing woman, imo.. So many missing; GA, NC, SC> Horry County, SC PD is on the scene..interesting

Human Remains Found In Florence County, SC
http://www.carolinalive.com/news/story.aspx?id=1044244

Horry Co Investigators called in on Angela Pipkin Investigation
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10152393607507902&id=38843147901

And since the poster said unnamed sources, it is not discussible on websleuths per TOS, as that information is rumor and not from LE and not from MSM.
When things like this are entered on the thread it is difficult to discern fact from fiction and it is against the rules, no rumors.
IMOO.

You are preaching to the choir! I am but the messenger...

You are preaching to the choir! I am but the messenger...

Oh, it wasn't intended for you :)
Basic knowledge for others that might not know, particularly newcomers.
In fact, I even commented on the pajamas not thinking about that it was an unnamed source. So that is how rumors can spread, even from people like me, if I don't read a post carefully.
IMOO.

I only got the end of the report on WSB but did hear 60 or 70 deputies from neighboring counties were helping in the search today. The reporter said Sills is still declining to call in the GBI for help. More info on that coming up during the 5 PM broadcast.

He had been at large for a week when he was arrested.
He had left a soda can that the victim had given him in the yard.
Doesn't sound very meticulous. But, who really knows what forensics LE found on the Dermond's property? I hope something was left behind that will provide conclusive evidence once the perp. is found.

He has been in custody since Monday. I have found criminal records in 2 counties and the one in Charleston County is like two pages long, ranging from possessing sawed-off shotgun, strong arm robbery, robbery with a deadly weapon, poss. Of cocaine, criminal trespass, littering, DUS (DUI?), sexual offense, kidnap, rape, intent to manufacture crank(?),...I couldn't read them all.

While it doesn't sound like he could have pulled off a clean crime scene like at the Dermonds, I'll reserve my judgement till we hear more.

You know the saddest part? It's obvious SC has been trying to lock him up for years... I mean, littering charges?!? And almost all of the charges ended up thrown out.

The one thing I can say with certainty is that this man moved in 2013, unless he was imprisoned elsewhere. It's literally the only year without charges since 1992!

gajata7y.jpg

Looks like rain may hamper any ground searches tomorrow.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

I think we are having a very hard time sleuthing this case because it
is beyond evil and we can't wrap our heads around that. I've watched
this board for 11 or so years and I know we've "looked" evil in the face many times...but this feels to me like a different evil.
How do you sleuth a secure gated community missing a head and a woman, both in their 80's? We have so very little information, we can't even find a path to try to follow. It seems important to me that the kids went home so quickly. It seems beyond possible for one person to do this and in a gated community like this and no one has seen a stranger anywhere. I think if there is answer found for this, we'll all be very surprised by the who and the why. It seems professional to me. I have no clue why or how..that information is being held close to the vest by LE, IMO ^i^

I agree with your premise, the highlighted word up there is the key. I think this may well be a person who works there as a landscaper, a contractor, a delivery driver, or an employee of one of the previously mentioned.

This mystery is really no deeper than many of the other crimes that happen, with the exception of the lack of a suspect or a person of interest. Back when Holly Bobo was kidnapped, everyone was puzzled by who would have done such a thing. But now that a couple of guys have been arrested, it is easy to see how a couple of meth-heads with a long string of arrests and run-ins with the law could very well be behind the entire plot. The more we learn about them, the easier it is to see how they could very well be, and probably are, responsible for the nightmare that Bobo had to endure.

This case is the same thing. Once a likely suspect is fingered, the "hows" and "whys" will suddenly become a lot more visible. The obvious key here is to track down the "who".

I hope that law enforcement has the ability to track down and interview every single employee and employer that has been in that village in the last month. A complex the size of that one will have a never ending stream of people coming in and out the gate to do work at the behest of either the management or the homeowners. I don't think I have to tell you that there are many unsavory characters that work in the construction and landscaping trades. Many of them are temporary. Many of them are hourly day laborers, and more than likely, a whole bunch of them may even be undocumented.

Tracking all of these people down and looking into their backgrounds is going to be a long process. It may take months before all of these employees and contractors can be interviewed and cleared. They may find out along the way that a certain worker or workers might have actually talked or schemed about robbing the place.

Once they have zeroed in on a person of interest or a suspect, this entire picture and the motive behind it will become much clearer.

"Officials said that based on their investigation, they have been able to narrow the timeframe of the crime to somewhere between 4:30 p.m., on Friday, May 3 – when the mail was delivered – to 4 p.m. on Saturday, May 4, when the couple did not show up for a party."

http://www.11alive.com/story/news/l...-continue-search-for-shirley-dermond/9091165/

IMOO. May 3rd was a Saturday May 4th a Sunday..... The article mentions Friday being May 3rd, and Sat. being May 4th.

From the article you linked:
Sills debunked several rumors that have surfaced in social media – including a note that there is no evidence of mob ties or ties to a witness protection program. He said that there was no connection with the drug-related murder of the Dermond's son in Atlanta 14 years ago.
Organized crime still in play...just no seeming connection to the son's murder in 2000.

Richard Elliott WSB:
Russell and Shirley Dermond's pastor just sent us this photo of the couple singing in church.

https://twitter.com/RElliotWSB/status/466675922481856512/photo/1

If it is not okay to post that link, someone please let me know and I will remove it.

Oh, he is a small man, not that much taller than Shirley. :( So vulnerable to evil.

I am assuming Russell was accosted first, and if so, Shirley must have witnessed such horrific images, I wonder if she could have succumbed to a heart attack. Even if she seemed in excellent health, the trauma could have caused an attack. Still, why take her body? I am sure hoping that down the line her remains won't be used to further traumatize the family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTaylor