GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #10

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(Funny you mentioned the quote by Kenda. Whenever he says this, I always think to myself, what about the 4th possible motive, to keep someone quiet...)

2. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

Glad you're back suthrnqt!

3. Suthrnqt

Suthrnqt Verified Luddite

Well, the way I see it, is Kenda is a real homicide detective who solved real homicides in the real world. Real life is not like the scripted crime dramas on tv or playing @ the local cineplex.
    MOO

Since when did the word t*h*u*g become a no-no?

4. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(I noticed that too, quite recently. I asked the same question but it was deleted due to circumventing. I don't think it's a bad word, but hey, moo...)

5. Doghairrules

Doghairrules Well-Known Member

Or the fifth one, bat**** crazy? [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Or...do as we say now or this will happen to you and your children too/next.

That would be $.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

7. dancinunderthemoon

dancinunderthemoon Well-Known Member

Quote from article: He says the interview yielded the name of an ex-employee with hard feelings for the couple from years ago, but after further investigation, they found out that person is dead.

Now this was a "CLOSE" family member who broke down and told of a disgrunteld employee from years ago...............perons is deceased, for how long? If she can remember this employee why didnt they kjnow he/she was dead? That seems odd, IDK, kind of sounded like the close family member was leading ............at any rate, Sills didnt seem to think she or this close family member had any connections

8. dancinunderthemoon

Havent gotten to the Part 2 yet, lol..........family/relative.......hired hit?..........they knew the area, no suspicion if the cameras had been on.......there was somewhere stated in an article the Dermonds' personal home secuirty had been tampered with?......and who kills an 88/89 yr old and beheads him? he was retired......some might have wondered if this couple would live to be 100? Im sure the wills have been discussed amongst the detectives.......typical inheritance and this was so gruesome no one would readily suspect family?

Murderers always have a first and this could have been it but there certainly were no mistakes that we know of.......and kidnappy in Mrs D sure stalled for time in the investigation........

Agree with the rest of your scenarious

9. dancinunderthemoon

well if they were involved in the D's, they sure were neat and left no evidence........what happened in this case then?

10. dancinunderthemoon

yep, who would gain?

11. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

Two years and still no arrest! Sills' words burn stronger each month with his confidence from the beginning that he gets his man, something similiar anyway. Guess he is eating those words daily! I have never believed in bragging.

At this point in time, I feel this was definitely a hit. Revenge and money go hand in hand the way I look at it.

There has been discussion of an ex-employee committing the murders for revenge. What would the purpose be of this? The Dermonds are almost ninety, have lived an exceptional life, healthy enough to live in their own home and have raised three successful children. Killing them would only satisfy a rage or hate that an ex-employee has carried for years. It would not be beneficial to this person. Why would a person spend their own money to have the Dermonds murdered when the couple were old and would not be in competition business wise with the disgruntled ex-employee?

This person who hired the hit had to have money and hired a good hit man if two years later there is no arrest.

Or, it was a hired hit for revenge and money. No one really knows who was in contact with the Dermonds. As adults, they did not share their entire world with anyone, including their adult children. They were easy prey, and someone known to them took advantage of it.

12. Steleheart

Steleheart Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I wondered a while back if RD had sued or prosecuted an employee for theft or some such thing, who then spent his time in jail seething with anger. Perhaps he had it planned for a long time. perhaps he hired someone. The murder of RD is a very personal act IMO.

13. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm wrong but I feel just the opposite. Both Dermonds were killed by blunt force object on the head, hopefully killing them outright before beheading Mr. D. and putting Mrs. D in the water. (in other words, sparing them both the pain and horror
    of what was to happen.)

Neither Mrs D. or Mr. D. appeared to be sexually molested or tortured before their death.
    They had both lived long and healthy lives. They were the easiest and most expendable.

Their house was left unscathed. Why? If it was personal, I'd think the house would have been desecrated.

I think the killer(s) had a message to send to someone close to the Dermonds. And I suspect that message was heeded as no further carnage has transpired.
    (That we know of).

Follow the money. But not the elder D's. $. JMO

14. windrower

windrower On Time Out

A recent true crime tv show told the story of a guy who believed a handyman carpenter he had hired was responsible for a theft (I don't recall of what). Two years later, the guy lured the carpenter to a farm on the pretext of bidding a job, and then killed him, with the help of a couple of t*h*u*gs. (And surely that cannot really be a bleep-type word?!?) No robbery, no nothing but killing the guy just to avenge the theft.

The final sad part was that through the investigation by LE, they could find no evidence the carpenter was the thief.

I keep pondering the death of the Dermonds son and any courtroom or legal drama with that case. But so many years ago . . .

15. Steleheart

Why would the house be desecrated if the anger was against the person. The perp took his head, his brain, his face, his identity and his wife. Apparently he didn't care about Russell's belongings, just Russell.

JMO

16. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

But that's just it. I don't see the anger. What good does it do to take his head and his wife if he's not alive to fully realize the loss?

Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part but I think both were
    dead before they knew what was happening. What happened after was only made to shock those that were still living.

17. 1&2&3

1&2&3 Well-Known Member

Good point!

18. Steleheart

That part I agree with. People loved and respected the Dermonds as far as I can tell. The killer(s) ruined Russell physically with no regard for his belongings leaving all who knew him feeling the shock and horror. Shamed, degraded and left that way. There is no way the dead man knew or appreciated the loss. In a way it reminds me of the story of the crucifixion but in this case I believe it happened very quickly. But what was left was for others to see. It was about the man not his wealth or belongings. It was personal.

I still see it as a rage filled, planned execution for a very personal reason.

19. colette

colette Well-Known Member

The thing is... why take Shirley out on the boat? She could have been murdered there and her body left with Russell. Did the killer want people to believe Shirley was still alive or had something to do with Russell's murder? Did the killers want to show who died first, Russell so that would change any inheritance? It is strange that she was taken out by boat, probably never wanting that body to be found. If the killers want to shock the living with Russell's body what was the motive behind taking Shirley?

20. grayhuze

grayhuze Gray Hughes

That's a good question. I think it could be for the same reason they took Russel's head. I have been following this case from day one in my private facebook group. Cool to see people are still chatting about it even though the case is cold...amazingly. The head may have been taken as proof of a hit or to cover up DNA exposure. Why take his head if the point was to hide the bodies in the lake to make it look like they just disappeared. This seems like a hired hit to me and the head was proof of death, but yes your question is a good one. Then why not just leave her body there since the head is all that was needed for the proof. Perhaps her body too had forensic exposure to the perp. Didn't her autopsy say blunt force trauma?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.