GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

Gruesome question.. but it can't be all that easy to behead someone?? From the sounds of it, it seems to have been a rather clean cut, correct? What kind of tool would have been used to perform such a thing with such precision? Was that tool located?

watcher9 likes this.
  2. deugirtni

If the beheading was done to hide a gunshot wound, then wouldn't that indicate that the murderer believed that the bullet/gun could lead to his identification? And if so, how and why could that be? Did someone close have a firearm registered to them? If a bullet had been able to be recovered from the head, and say a family member had the type of gun that would use such ammunition, police might ask to see it, and have it tested for recent use, etc? Guns there are not required to be registered however, are they?? (Unless perhaps it was a police issued firearm or something?)

3. deugirtni

From what the couple were wearing upon their discoveries, it would seem that Mrs. D was fully dressed including shoes done up, while Mr. D had changed into a tshirt, underwear, and perhaps his bathrobe (it was said to have been found near or under the body?). Would this indicate that perhaps they first killed and took the woman (perhaps while Mr. D was out getting her meds?) and then later killed the man (once he'd arrived home and gotten out of his clothes?)?

I'm not sure why LE believes the couple weren't killed in the home? If Mr. D was shot in the head and the bullet never exited his skull, would they have been able to tell that he wasn't shot on site, as well as being beheaded?

watcher9 and Razz like this.
  4. deugirtni

I read that the couple used to own several 'Hardee's' locations at one time. Has it been said how wealthy this couple was, or how much their estate was worth, and who were the beneficiaries (assuming split equally amongst the 3 remaining children?)?

5. hockeyguy33

hockeyguy33 Well-Known Member

They never said what the couples worth was but they did say the inheritance was split equally between the 3 surviving kids.

angelainwi, Tripod, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  6. wildebeest

wildebeest Well-Known Member

Hi, hockey,

Along with the three children, I remember hearing a grandchild received some inheritance, as well. Does anyone remember this? I thought it odd, as the Dermonds had more than one grandchild.

IMHO

7. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

I think that was the child of the son who was deceased.

Tripod, OTPTarheel2018 and deugirtni like this.
  8. deugirtni

Weird for it to have been the grandchild of the deceased, as opposed to the offspring of the deceased?

9. lisette

lisette Well-Known Member

I think it is their deceased son's child, making him/her the Dermonds' grandchild. It is common for wills to be made so that the children of the offspring inherit the offsprings' share if they are deceased. That's the way my parents did as well as my inlaws.

Tripod, watcher9 and deugirtni like this.
  10. dancinunderthemoon

dancinunderthemoon Well-Known Member

kind of sounded like it could have been a mercy killing.......

wildebeest likes this.
  11. dancinunderthemoon

I cant remember either WIlde.......but I do remember KD had a daughter by a previous wife/gf than his current wife.........IIRC we had concluded it was her who inherited but I could be wrong

wildebeest, watcher9 and Razz like this.
  12. dancinunderthemoon

i read its rather easy, its mostly flesh and fat, only spinal part and some ligamwents is the tough part, yes fairly clean cut around where the collar is.,,,,could have been a doctor for all we know.......SS said like a doctor IIRC

watcher9 likes this.
  13. dancinunderthemoon

Yall thank HOckey for that......he's been on that a bit

wildebeest and hockeyguy33 like this.
  14. dancinunderthemoon

well even the bullet can trace to a certain gun, the fibers of the bullet and more, whatever the technical terms are..........but, the autopsy report said there was NO Gunshot residue, however it was told by SS and PH for a long time that there WAS a trace of GSR on RD collar..............NO BULLET WAS FOUND and I do not bleieve a gun was involved since they bludgeoned SD, probaby did him too......there was no blood spatter on the walls or cars IIRC, only very little, mostly pooled blood around the body and towels used to dam it up to keep it from running eveyrwhere and out under the grarage door...........

At point blank range would that bullet exit the skull? Ive discussed this on here waaaay back, can't recall it all now but according to type of bullet whether it lodges or is explosive or exits the skull........any gun expert please chime in

watcher9 and Razz like this.
  15. hockeyguy33

hockeyguy33 Well-Known Member

it was speculated that an unknown grandkid received an inheritance but SS had only said it was split evenly between the 3 kids. My focus has been on either their kids or 1 of the adult grandkids who went to college in the Atlanta area.

The gsr claim was made by SS a few times but since he has not mentioned anything about it. The coroners report would have stated it, and they would have been the ones to find gsr . My theory is they were beaten to death and not shot as some think Mr D was. In a community like that a gunshot would be heard and that would be a great risk to assume nobody would hear a gunshot and for someone who left no evidence as SS claims that would be a big mistake I don't think they would make. The killers planned this out carefully

1 thing about this murder that stands out is the silence of the family and it really bothers me. There were too many coincidences and I've always said there's no such thing as a coincidence but to have several i'm confident this was well planned. I also don't think Mrs. D being dumped in the river was done to buy time or confuse investigators

16. Jasper52

Jasper52 Well-Known Member

Great to see you posting here, deugirtni. :)

I recently started following this case, a few months back, but have yet to post.

Tripod and deugirtni like this.
  17. dancinunderthemoon

Got my attention Hockey..........why do you not think it was NOT to buy time? Do you think it was a mercy killing so to speak, from a beasts point of view Id imagine, but since it was stated she wouldnt have wanted to live without her soul mate and that they both wanted to have their ashes scattered in Lake Oconee? Well it wasnt ashes but her body and his head may have been there for good.

Seriously though, what is your theory about her being hauled away and dumped there?

Lawdawg99 likes this.
  18. wildebeest

Thanks for confirming, dancin. This is what I remembered, as well. KD had a daughter from a previous marriage, and she received an inheritance. Can anyone tell me why she received something, yet the other grandchildren did not? I’m puzzled, here.

IMHO

watcher9 likes this.
  19. wildebeest

Reading this, something just occurred to me. Maybe the family knows one of them is responsible, but doesn’t want to out them. It would explain their mysterious silence. After all, they are all better off financially than before. It’s a gruesome thought...

IMHO

20. wildebeest

hockey, please tell why you think Mrs. D was left in the lake?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.