GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
The no known enemies is the key. They definitely had at least one enemy, and someone has an idea about who it was. Sometimes people just want to walk away and let a bad memory dissipate. Much more to the Dermonds (at least him) than we know.
Clearly! but not any KNOWN ones.....so that makes it look random but the beheading takes away from the random theory, thats rage and personal..........so someone intended it to be mixed.....there are other contradictions...........why no one was caught

I just see that 1 was beheaded and the other wasn't and that tells me there was more anger towards Mr D than Mrs D . Mr D being found headless in the garage and his wife dumped in a lake. 1 seems like the main target and the other seems like a we had to killing . I think Mrs D was left in the lake because as 1 of the sons stated she wanted her ashes spread over the lake when she died. Someone went to extra work to put her in the lake where they knew she would be found eventually even without the weights on her feet
Thats what I said...........hers was a mercy killing.........if you listen to KD statements, he tells us some things..........watch interview and remember KD wouldnt be recorded......he can rebut anything the media quotes him as saying but very telling if true statements .....but that interview......I mentioned to you when that last one happened.........within weeks..........there are things we dont know and it would take financial forensics team to find it ..............is anyone looking?

I said this many times and I still think this way. SS knows who the killer or killers are but he just can't prove it due to circumstantial evidence. The DA would be the one to charge the person(s) with murder but he realizes he probably couldn't get a conviction based on the evidence he has which brings me back to a statement SS has made many times. SS has stated that a phone call from someone who knows something is what is going to close this case. Basically SS is saying I have the evidence but because it can be contested easily in court ( because the dna or fingerprints he found is from someone who has been to the house plenty of times and a jury couldn't convict because of reasonable doubt) he needs someone to connect the dots or feel guilty enough to confess or turn witness against the killer(s)

Sorry, I'm coming in part way through here, and chances are slim that I'd be able to catch up from the get-go, so my apologies if I'm rehashing things already considered and tossed aside.

Just wondering if it has been considered as a possibility, that the hubby could have lost it with his wife for whatever reason, in the heat of an unknown moment.. maybe bashed her skull/knocked her out/even perhaps mistakenly killed her, and then wanted to hide the crime, so went to lengths to dump her body to never be found - she would simply be a missing person when he arrived home that day.... BUT someone who cared deeply about the lady, surmised what happened, and so they took revenge on her killer.

I was thinking that perhaps the man's killer had wanted to dump his body too, but couldn't due to the sheer weight, and so took just his head... maybe the head is also in the same water body, also with concrete weights, but in his case, the head is light enough to remain forever immersed.

Someone posted just upthread that SS (Sheriff?) thinks the biggest mistake was that the wife's body surfaced. What if instead, the biggest mistake was that the man's head was cut off? ie what if............ it was someone close to the couple, who somehow discovered what the mister had done, freaked out, and killed the man... it could have been perhaps simple enough to make it appear that the mister had killed his wife, and then killed himself. But because his head was removed, that is no longer an option/explanation. Someone screwed up and gave away their hand by doing that with the head. This person also took measures to bide time before the deaths were noticed, by piling up towels to stop the blood from seeping out of the garage - why? Possible explanation would be to bide that person enough time to get back home, work on an alibi, calm down, etc.

To me, it is unthinkable as an explanation that these two very elderly people would have been murdered for no reason. If there was no theft, no missing monies, no sign of break-in, no mess inside the home, etc., then it seems to rule out robbery/home invasion; if there were no enemies, then it seems to rule out revenge; even if revenge, who is going to take those extra measures of submerging the woman's body and cutting off the man's head? (Nobody!)

If someone was to somehow benefit financially in a big enough way to make it worth it, it still doesn't explain the head, or why the one is in the lake while the other is in the garage, or the no forced entry, or the lack of a mess indicating a scuffle, or the towels, etc.

To me, a remaining possibility is the above scenario where possibly one spouse killed the other in a marital issue, with someone (who would have obviously cared enough about that death) taking revenge on the remaining spouse. That could potentially explain a lot - the reason why the bodies were handled differently, the reason for no sign of forced entry, the reason why SD was still clothed but yet hubby was in his pjs, the reason why the towels were needed to slow down the time of discovery, the reason why nothing financial has been found out of line, etc.

Is it known whether there were any phonecalls made to/from the home during the last day the couple was known to be alive? ie if there was a marital spat taking place and hubby was losing it, did SD try to contact someone to potentially help to diffuse the situation? Did they have cellphones or just the home's landline? How far away did each of their children live? Is it possible someone arrived to assist, but instead found that the woman was already gone?

Last edited:
Just wondering if the occupations of the couple's children are known, and if so, what are they?

Hopefully the couple's complete finances were forensically examined, and not just reviewed by someone unqualified to do forensic auditing?

Has SS (Sheriff?) researched investments made by the couple over the past several years before death(s)? Were there any investments made, which ended up losing a lot of wealth?

I said this many times and I still think this way. SS knows who the killer or killers are but he just can't prove it due to circumstantial evidence. The DA would be the one to charge the person(s) with murder but he realizes he probably couldn't get a conviction based on the evidence he has which brings me back to a statement SS has made many times. SS has stated that a phone call from someone who knows something is what is going to close this case. Basically SS is saying I have the evidence but because it can be contested easily in court ( because the dna or fingerprints he found is from someone who has been to the house plenty of times and a jury couldn't convict because of reasonable doubt) he needs someone to connect the dots or feel guilty enough to confess or turn witness against the killer(s)
welllllll, not sure thats gonna happen! All the money has been disbursed and these folks are living large, probalby not much communication between them all.........anyway, I was thinking on it all this morning.........really.......people have asked and asked adn asked "WHY haul SD off that way and anchor her to the bottom of the lake"..........well, really, what WAS the reason? Other than to confuse the investigation........otherwise, there was no OBVIOUS reason to do that.....nothing ws stolen...she wasnt beheaded...she was not raped....she ws not dismembered, basically not hurt if you compare to how RD was mutilated......what WAS the point? Confuse the investigation or what? Mercy killing? Put her in the lake, only to be found? DOes it sound like amateurs, amateurs that behead like a doctor dont know her body wouldnt resurface with less than half her weight in cinder blocks plus not know about the gases.........either it was a mercy killing, she didnt ever want to live without RD according to KD statements, they wanted to be cremated and scattered in Lake Oconee, but KD said the family ALMOST feels that's not a good idea (almost?) but its plain the two statements..........Was it mercy killing and put in the lake where she watned to be? BUt we cant forget the fact remains that it DID CONFUSE the investigation, got eveyrone off track, STILL has everyone off track..........LIke SS said, for everything one thing they did that appears professional, there was equally those things that did NOT look professional........so the whole investigation is meant to confuse then??? It still is, a man beheaded, nothing stolen, no dna, SD sunk in the lake miles away................ANd, did they want her found? Takes years to rule someone clinically and legally dead without a body most of the time.........Cuz look, Jayme CLoss was found alive! We would suspect she was dead too even though kidnapped because her parents were murdered.....Many people have been found alive many years after disappearing....... I personally think the whole thing was planned this way.........and when someone doesnt answer the question with a simple yes or no when asked if he murdered his parents but simultaneously shakes his head yes,looks around nervously and stutters and ends with "and everything like that"............wth does that mean? LOL.........no emotion only pretend stuttering, watch the eyes........ there are no suspects, there is no DNA other than the people that have been in that house for years, no stranger went inside that house......KD REFUSED to be on camera OR recorded! Yet he talks and talks and talks and says some of the most bazar things within days of his mothers kidnapping......When questions are answered in a way that the recipient tries to CONVINCE you of something, like they are a good person or where they were during this crime INSTEAD of trying to CONVEY the truth with a simple "yes" or "no" answer...... this exemplifies deceit.............psychopaths do not have the emotions therefore no nervousness or angst, this is why they pass polygraph tests! AND, they only try to mimic what they know others would do and the narcissistic type think we are all SOOO stupid and they talk and talk liek all those words are going to convince everyone they werent involved...........that interview happened within weeks, within weeks after a certain incident........

Sorry, I'm coming in part way through here, and chances are slim that I'd be able to catch up from the get-go, so my apologies if I'm rehashing things already considered and tossed aside.

Just wondering if it has been considered as a possibility, that the hubby could have lost it with his wife for whatever reason, in the heat of an unknown moment.. maybe bashed her skull/knocked her out/even perhaps mistakenly killed her, and then wanted to hide the crime, so went to lengths to dump her body to never be found - she would simply be a missing person when he arrived home that day.... BUT someone who cared deeply about the lady, surmised what happened, and so they took revenge on her killer.

I was thinking that perhaps the man's killer had wanted to dump his body too, but couldn't due to the sheer weight, and so took just his head... maybe the head is also in the same water body, also with concrete weights, but in his case, the head is light enough to remain forever immersed.

Someone posted just upthread that SS (Sheriff?) thinks the biggest mistake was that the wife's body surfaced. What if instead, the biggest mistake was that the man's head was cut off? ie what if............ it was someone close to the couple, who somehow discovered what the mister had done, freaked out, and killed the man... it could have been perhaps simple enough to make it appear that the mister had killed his wife, and then killed himself. But because his head was removed, that is no longer an option/explanation. Someone screwed up and gave away their hand by doing that with the head. This person also took measures to bide time before the deaths were noticed, by piling up towels to stop the blood from seeping out of the garage - why? Possible explanation would be to bide that person enough time to get back home, work on an alibi, calm down, etc.

To me, it is unthinkable as an explanation that these two very elderly people would have been murdered for no reason. If there was no theft, no missing monies, no sign of break-in, no mess inside the home, etc., then it seems to rule out robbery/home invasion; if there were no enemies, then it seems to rule out revenge; even if revenge, who is going to take those extra measures of submerging the woman's body and cutting off the man's head? (Nobody!)

If someone was to somehow benefit financially in a big enough way to make it worth it, it still doesn't explain the head, or why the one is in the lake while the other is in the garage, or the no forced entry, or the lack of a mess indicating a scuffle, or the towels, etc.

To me, a remaining possibility is the above scenario where possibly one spouse killed the other in a marital issue, with someone (who would have obviously cared enough about that death) taking revenge on the remaining spouse. That could potentially explain a lot - the reason why the bodies were handled differently, the reason for no sign of forced entry, the reason why SD was still clothed but yet hubby was in his pjs, the reason why the towels were needed to slow down the time of discovery, the reason why nothing financial has been found out of line, etc.

Is it known whether there were any phonecalls made to/from the home during the last day the couple was known to be alive? ie if there was a marital spat taking place and hubby was losing it, did SD try to contact someone to potentially help to diffuse the situation? Did they have cellphones or just the home's landline? How far away did each of their children live? Is it possible someone arrived to assist, but instead found that the woman was already gone?

I don't think so simply because Mr. Dermond couldn't kill his wife then cut off his own head. They seem to be devoted to each other and most in their late 80's don't have the stamina or desire for much fighting and drama. According to their driving license information, he didn't weigh a significant amount more than her so I don't believe leaving him was caused by any difficulty in moving him. Someone very sick did this, and it's looking like we'll never have any answers.

Here's a thought. Sometimes a husband's and a wife's wills are different so the order in which they pass is important, though that's usually more of an issue in blended families from second marriages and prior children.
Would there have been any benefit to anyone if Mr. D's death preceded Mrs. D's death?
Of course, the problem is the time of death isn't necessarily related to the order in which the bodies were found.

I was going to ask.... if there was any indication from the pathologist who did the autopsies, as to times of deaths for each of them? In my scenario above, SD would have been killed first, with the husband being killed hours later.. but I suppose after so many days of decomposition, it would be difficult to determine TOD by such a close measure?

If Mrs. D. wasn't meant to be found and say she never had been, how could the D's wealth be divided amongst the siblings until she could be ruled legally dead? Wouldn't it be years?
I was going to ask.... if there was any indication from the pathologist who did the autopsies, as to times of deaths for each of them? In my scenario above, SD would have been killed first, with the husband being killed hours later.. but I suppose after so many days of decomposition, it would be difficult to determine TOD by such a close measure?
Maybe they were killed at the same time..........why leave a screaming woman or an enrage man alive after killing the spouse in a populated area where someone may hear something or see something or someone escape?

We do now know there was a struggle likely in the garage due to SD;s hair in his hands.....how far do we think they are gong to drag her screaming? Him yelling?

I think they can only assume the TOD by the date they went missing or didnt attend the Derby Party and becuase of the decay and in the water atleast 10 days

RD was in a climate controlled garage, with less decay than if weather or water exposed

The thing about the deaths, it may have been a while before there could have been a death certificate issued for her.........unless authorities were to only assume she was killed due to what happened to her husband but who knows it wasnt an insurance fraud setup or something else........but I have a friend who's husband drowned in the ocean, Im not sure she even has HIS death certificate yet, several months ago she did not and it's been over 2 years and there is no way he would have surfaced alive in the middle of the ocean at night

The thing about whether or not she was meant to be found...............DO WE EVEN KNOW the answer to that question? Just like all the other answers to this mysterious crime? WHO would haul her off? WHO would drop her on the main river where she could be found? If I were going to hide something, why in the very lake where she was kidnapped from in a area full of fishing spots along the main river channel??

Just some thoughts!

Just wondering if the occupations of the couple's children are known, and if so, what are they?

Hopefully the couple's complete finances were forensically examined, and not just reviewed by someone unqualified to do forensic auditing?

Has SS (Sheriff?) researched investments made by the couple over the past several years before death(s)? Were there any investments made, which ended up losing a lot of wealth?
The one problem with that is................they inherited it all anyway, so probalby nothing obvious there ..........I saved the link but no longer was online last I checked and I informed of it , to the proper authorites, KD paid off a lien in 2015 or 2016 in FL..............

I keep trying to place a family member putting a boat in, riding up to the dock, killing their dad and cutting off his head, killing and taking their mom, and I guess the dad's head, down the river to where they threw the remains over and then boating to a landing, loading up a boat and driving home. It just doesn't work for me.
Then, suppose there is no boat. Would someone have driven up to the house and committed the deed and drove off with SD and the dad's head. The head could have been thrown out anywhere. Is there a bridge upsteam of where SD was found. If SD were thrown off a bridge, could the current have carried her to where she was later found? Is there even a current in a lake? If she were thrown, would an autopsy show if she had incurred "damage" from landing on the water? What if the block holding her down wasn't heavy enough to drag her all the way down and she was able to drift under the water to the spot where she was eventually discovered?

The one problem with that is................they inherited it all anyway, so probalby nothing obvious there ..........I saved the link but no longer was online last I checked and I informed of it , to the proper authorites, KD paid off a lien in 2015 or 2016 in FL..............
This is what I was wondering about:
*If* someone close to the couple - someone who was named in their Will, someone who was to inherit from their estate - either *was* a financial investment salesperson, or married to one, or close to one - AND that financial advisor, perhaps years ago, advised them into choosing certain investments..... and since then, said investments went belly up and ended up losing the couple a LOT of money... it is possible that the hubby could have told this advisor that he was going to deduct the amount of losses from advisor's share of the estate... since perhaps none of the others had led him into any bad investments..
The 'advisor' goes ballistic at this suggestion and loses it, before it's actually written into the Will. ... ends up killing them, etc.
Was just a thought......

welllllll, not sure thats gonna happen! All the money has been disbursed and these folks are living large, probalby not much communication between them all.........anyway, I was thinking on it all this morning.........really.......people have asked and asked adn asked "WHY haul SD off that way and anchor her to the bottom of the lake"..........well, really, what WAS the reason? Other than to confuse the investigation........otherwise, there was no OBVIOUS reason to do that.....nothing ws stolen...she wasnt beheaded...she was not raped....she ws not dismembered, basically not hurt if you compare to how RD was mutilated......what WAS the point? Confuse the investigation or what? Mercy killing? Put her in the lake, only to be found? DOes it sound like amateurs, amateurs that behead like a doctor dont know her body wouldnt resurface with less than half her weight in cinder blocks plus not know about the gases.........either it was a mercy killing, she didnt ever want to live without RD according to KD statements, they wanted to be cremated and scattered in Lake Oconee, but KD said the family ALMOST feels that's not a good idea (almost?) but its plain the two statements..........Was it mercy killing and put in the lake where she watned to be? BUt we cant forget the fact remains that it DID CONFUSE the investigation, got eveyrone off track, STILL has everyone off track..........LIke SS said, for everything one thing they did that appears professional, there was equally those things that did NOT look professional........so the whole investigation is meant to confuse then??? It still is, a man beheaded, nothing stolen, no dna, SD sunk in the lake miles away................ANd, did they want her found? Takes years to rule someone clinically and legally dead without a body most of the time.........Cuz look, Jayme CLoss was found alive! We would suspect she was dead too even though kidnapped because her parents were murdered.....Many people have been found alive many years after disappearing....... I personally think the whole thing was planned this way.........and when someone doesnt answer the question with a simple yes or no when asked if he murdered his parents but simultaneously shakes his head yes,looks around nervously and stutters and ends with "and everything like that"............wth does that mean? LOL.........no emotion only pretend stuttering, watch the eyes........ there are no suspects, there is no DNA other than the people that have been in that house for years, no stranger went inside that house......KD REFUSED to be on camera OR recorded! Yet he talks and talks and talks and says some of the most bazar things within days of his mothers kidnapping......When questions are answered in a way that the recipient tries to CONVINCE you of something, like they are a good person or where they were during this crime INSTEAD of trying to CONVEY the truth with a simple "yes" or "no" answer...... this exemplifies deceit.............psychopaths do not have the emotions therefore no nervousness or angst, this is why they pass polygraph tests! AND, they only try to mimic what they know others would do and the narcissistic type think we are all SOOO stupid and they talk and talk liek all those words are going to convince everyone they werent involved...........that interview happened within weeks, within weeks after a certain incident........
Well Said!

This is what I was wondering about:
*If* someone close to the couple - someone who was named in their Will, someone who was to inherit from their estate - either *was* a financial investment salesperson, or married to one, or close to one - AND that financial advisor, perhaps years ago, advised them into choosing certain investments..... and since then, said investments went belly up and ended up losing the couple a LOT of money... it is possible that the hubby could have told this advisor that he was going to deduct the amount of losses from advisor's share of the estate... since perhaps none of the others had led him into any bad investments..
The 'advisor' goes ballistic at this suggestion and loses it, before it's actually written into the Will. ... ends up killing them, etc.
Was just a thought......

This is a plausible scenario. Someone who was to benefit from the Dermonds death.

IMHO

What if this was a coverup to a murder suicide? I think I read the only clothes laying out were the same clothes RD was wearing on Thursday seen on the grocery video. Seems a bit strange to me, since they think he was murdered on Sat. Most people change clothes daily.
Also I read SD was suppose to bring cucumber sandwiches for Derby Party, I wonder if they had all the ingredients to do that. Surely she would have started making them by Sat morning?
What If RD got angry, hit SD over the head, hid her body in lake, came home, hanged himself in garage with his robe belt. Someone takes head to cover ligature mark and make it look like a murder to protect family. It could explain body being moved, robe under body. Etc

I’m sorry but that’s just not what happened.

What if this was a coverup to a murder suicide? I think I read the only clothes laying out were the same clothes RD was wearing on Thursday seen on the grocery video. Seems a bit strange to me, since they think he was murdered on Sat. Most people change clothes daily.
Also I read SD was suppose to bring cucumber sandwiches for Derby Party, I wonder if they had all the ingredients to do that. Surely she would have started making them by Sat morning?
What If RD got angry, hit SD over the head, hid her body in lake, came home, hanged himself in garage with his robe belt. Someone takes head to cover ligature mark and make it look like a murder to protect family. It could explain body being moved, robe under body. Etc

I'm a latecomer - why do they think he was murdered on the Saturday?
Good point about the sandwiches, IF they weren't murdered until then. Why do they not believe it was on the Thursday evening?

Hi guys! Tricia and I are looking for Websleuths members that would like to be interviewed on the podcast. You don't have to use your real name, just your WS name. You can send me a PM here on WS or PM Tricia as well. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member