GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

1. OTPTarheel2018

OTPTarheel2018 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure that 22 lb type "red" river block used to be sold at Home Depot.

JMO

StarEyes likes this.
  2. drama_farmer

drama_farmer "It's never just a mannequin"

Is it possible that the perps planned to take his body as well, but had difficulty moving him? Was he heavier than his wife? Maybe they decided to dismember him, and they started with the head? The time, effort and mess may have caused that plan to change.

Or, maybe they were planning to come back and finish the job (using towels to keep the blood from leaving the garage until that time) but their plans changed. ..MOO

3. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

Don't mind me but... is anyone else getting a hint of 'female'? I'm getting that kind of vibe, just a vibe..

StarEyes, K.jill and watcher9 like this.
  4. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

Yeah. The strands of long hair. Were they confirmed to be from SD or just assumed?

StarEyes, K.jill and deugirtni like this.
  5. Hapworth

Hapworth Active Member

Is there a link for the autopsy reports? TIA

StarEyes and watcher9 like this.
  6. deugirtni

I'm not even thinking about the hair (only because I haven't really read much about that); I'm getting those vibes from things like.. the laundry/mesh bag that held the 'concrete block'.. I'm not sure if the description up above by Dancin is factual? But if so, the colored things used? Even the 'concrete block(s)' (is the description of those factual?). The cleaning up of blood and not wanting it to seep out of the garage. The seeming inexperience of whomever did this, and seeming after-thoughts, rather than planning.. the mishmash of things done afterward, like taking SD out in the boat.. seems crazy to me. Not that females are crazy. I'm just getting a sense of 'female', as well as 'young', for some reason.
    Have all of the grandkids been vetted as far as what they might be 'in to'? How old are/were the grandkids at the time? How many of them are there, etc?

7. Hapworth

Hapworth Active Member

Do we know what type of knots were used to secure the cement blocks to SD?

8. OTPTarheel2018

Where did the towels come from?
    Were they taken from the D's home?

JMO

9. OTPTarheel2018

Certainly there was a brush or comb with hair in SD bathroom or handbag that could be compared...
    And in all the photos I've seen of SD her hair is short, not long...
    Hmmmm...

JMO

StarEyes, watcher9 and deugirtni like this.
  10. deugirtni

Same question with the laundry bag used to hold the concrete blocks, the concrete blocks themselves (which really seemed to be landscaping stones as per Dancin's report upthread??), the ties,... did they bring them or find them there?

StarEyes, watcher9 and Hapworth like this.
  11. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

Hi guys! I've been reading your questions and taking notes. Me and Tricia are about to conduct an interview with Sheriff Sills. Thanks everyone! New episode of the podcast will drop Sunday night.

12. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Well-Known Member

Those red bricks are super common. Everyone at the lake uses them to make a makeshift path down to the boat dock. Those are definitely everywhere.

StarEyes, fred&edna and watcher9 like this.
  13. TJtennispro

Most people would have a hammer on their boat. Mesh bags fairly common. Zip cords for organization. The only thing I wouldn’t have on my boat is bricks. Probably have a rubber mallet instead of normal hammer too.

M

StarEyes, fred&edna and watcher9 like this.
  14. TJtennispro

The DNA could be from someone that’s not in the database but also would have reason for being in the house.

StarEyes, Tripod, fred&edna and 2 others like this.
  15. deugirtni

There's just no reason for a stranger to kill this very elderly couple unless they were robbing them, or they were massively stoned on some kind of mind-altering drug. But yet nothing was taken apparently, and if so stoned, they wouldn't have been able to come away without evidence of themselves. moo.
    That only leaves that someone with some kind of a vendetta against one or both of them.. plus it seems personal and amateurish.
    Methinks the cops aren't looking hard enough at all of the people connected to this couple. imo.

16. OTPTarheel2018

Wondering if SS looked into the way back machine...what did RD do after WW2? Did he go to work OR return to work at Westclox/Seth Thomas? Was he in management?

And I still don't see any mention if SD or RD had siblings.

In my family folks carried grudges for a really long time. To the grave.

JMO

17. roguelady

roguelady Active Member

Levi, you and Tricia are doing a fantastic job with the podcasts. Can't wait for the next one. When you interview SS, please ask him about the person who went to the Huddle House and asked about security tapes. That always bothered me from day one and I wondered why nothing came of that (or did it)? Seems to me they could have identified the person who came in and asked about the tapes because surely HE would also have been on camera? Like everyone else - this case really baffles me.

Kittybunny, StarEyes, Levi and 3 others like this.
  18. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Now that female is mentioned, I wonder if it was someone that slept over. They asked for money and were refused. They kept everything pristine because everything would be inherited, if you get my drift. It could even be a generation down because they would inherit through a parent.

StarEyes and fred&edna like this.
  19. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

Did not read your message in time. We are going to try to meet up with SS Tuesday and I will ask about that.

StarEyes, watcher9, roguelady and 2 others like this.
  20. Tricia

Tricia Owner Websleuths.com Staff Member Administrator

Hey Everyone,

Levi Page and I will be in Georgia Tuesday night through Thursday running around Lake Oconee and surrounding areas trying to stir up a little bit of trouble but mostly to see what information we can find out about the Dermond murders.

If you would like to connect you can send me a private message or email me at triciastruecrimeradio@gmail.com

Watch out Georgia here we come.