GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pinkie60

pinkie60 Well-Known Member

It sure was a brazen crime. The person or persons must have been covered in blood. Where did they clean up? I thought maybe they had a lookout

deugirtni, StarEyes, Hapworth and 2 others like this.

2. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

This is fantastic, and I certainly hope you CAN stir something up! This is one of the most confounding cases I've followed, and will eagerly await your report :) Safe travels!

Levi, StarEyes, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  3. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

Very good interview with SS! You two asked very good questions. So glad you have another meeting with him. Keep up the good work and stirring up a little bit of trouble!!

Levi, StarEyes, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jackielee09

Jackielee09 Former Member

I admire the Sheriff so much for reaching out to the public. I can’t read all threads but I’m sure they questioned bank employees. Checked cameras to see who was watching Mr Dermond when he made payment for long term care insurance.
    Also have they put out the playing cards w crime info and put in prison system ?

5. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

Sorry I'm behind on all the facts.. did the Dermonds own a boat?

StarEyes likes this.
  6. Levi

Levi Well-Known Member

7. roguelady

roguelady Well-Known Member

I believe that the Dermond's sold their boat a few years before the murders.

8paws, TJtennispro, StarEyes and 2 others like this.
  8. deugirtni

SS alluded to his interrogation of the D's daughter - they only have the one daughter, Leslie.. I wonder what it was that interested him?

bluenoser, StarEyes and Hapworth like this.
  9. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

Way back when, it was discussed if the person seen in the front yard was using the hose to wash off the knife, his gloves and/or himself. We never did find out if there were fingerprints on the hose or faucet. Now SS says the man was questioned and is not involved but they haven't said why he was there in the first place.
    If there was a laundry sink in the garage, they could have used that. I wonder if LE bothered to check the pipes and trap underneath for blood?

pinkie60, bluenoser, StarEyes and 2 others like this.
  10. deugirtni

SS alluded to there being 2 or 3 people whom he has a gut feeling about, and that those people had declined to take lie detector tests. In a previous interview (link below), SS said the adult children of the couple had all taken lie detector tests, so I suppose therefore, that means SS does not include the adult children in those 2-3 people he has a gut feeling about.
    The Murders of Elderly Georgia Couple Russell and Shirley Dermond: A Beheading and No Leads

Kittybunny, StarEyes, K.jill and 2 others like this.
  11. deugirtni

SS mentions in the most recent podcast that the home was so clean and untouched, that 'it almost looked staged', as if for a real estate showing or whatever. I wonder therefore, if perhaps the D's were thinking of selling, and perhaps had had a cleaning crew in there to professionally clean the home just prior.. or if they had made arrangements to meet with a realtor to discuss potentially selling the home? Or did the couple always just keep their home in magazine-photo-shoot condition?

12. deugirtni

Sorry I'm not totally up to speed on this case, but was it known prior to now that SS had discovered (at some point after discovering the murder/s), that Mrs. D suffered from some 'infirmities'?

I can only imagine this meant she may have been starting to suffer signs of dementia - perhaps in and out of lucidity. I wonder if this could have played some type of role in the investigation. For example, say SS was told about something Mrs. D had said about someone, but then when he questioned that person, the person could have stated something like, oh, but Mrs. D wasn't really quite all there all the time, so you should disregard anything she may have said. Is it possible SS may have discounted something, due to finding this out?

pinkie60 and StarEyes like this.
  13. deugirtni

I found it interesting in the podcast when SS stated that the children didn't really end up inheriting that much money, by the time all was said and done. I'm sure part of the reason for that would have been because any proceeds were split three ways. Yet it seems odd, since they were living in such a prestigious large home, and they'd owned multiple fast food businesses prior to retirement. Where did all their money go if there wasn't that much left by the end?

14. OTPTarheel2018

OTPTarheel2018 Well-Known Member

I think the D son (Mark) who died had a daughter who received an inheritance.
    And I think the house sold at a very low price.

I've often wondered who knew that the guard gate cameras were not working...were those folks interviewed/ polygraphed??

And I've often wondered if there were other crimes in Reynolds Plantation that weren't made known to the outside world...SS would know or maybe the securityfolks at RP didn't even inform SS. Would you buy a 1M house in an unsafe gated community?? Bad for business.

I'm attaching the backstory to RP in case you aren't familiar...
    At Reynolds Plantation, a vision comes together, then falls apart

JMO

8paws, pinkie60, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  15. SS when questioned about similar crimes didn't mention Robert Hollis in CA who was beheaded and his head is still missing but did name 2 cases in Georgia. The Robert Hollis murder sure resembles the murder of Russell Dermond . No question about if Mark Dermond had a child, No question about the person who broke down during the 1st interview and was reinterviewed.

Yes I still have questions that I need answered before I move onto another theory. Overall a very good podcast i'd just like more answers

16. kay74

kay74 Former Member

So I assume SS interviewed Mark's daughter? How old is she? She was to receive an inheritance, hmmm. Did SS interview her mother? Just hoping no stones were left unturned.

watcher9, deugirtni and StarEyes like this.
  17. StarEyes

StarEyes Well-Known Member

This was amazing! I instantly found SS very endearing. He seemed very cooperative and truly still investigating this case. You know it’s got to drive him crazy, wanting to solve it. I was happy to hear that the hair in RDs hand was indeed SDs. I also thought it fascinating how he thinks it may have gotten in his hand. It totally makes sense. I was a little surprised that he thinks they were killed elsewhere. I’ve read those theories, and agree. The fact that the towels were from the bathroom is intriguing. You’d think some fingerprints would have to be somewhere in the garage/bathroom. Of course, knowing that SS has evidence he can’t speak to at this time is really encouraging. I’m hoping it’s very compelling evidence, and that this will be solved sooner rather than later. All JMO, of course.

scarletstar, watcher9, Levi and 5 others like this.
  18. wildebeest

wildebeest Well-Known Member

Chilling story, OTP, but shows how easy it is to gain access to a home, when a person is determined. So glad you and your mom were safe, and you moved her.

watcher9 and OTPTarheel2018 like this.
  19. wildebeest

wildebeest Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Not sure why, but many elderly people are so trusting of others, such as opening their doors, answering the phone, etc. etc. And there are many unscrupulous folks out there who know this, and will take advantage of them.

I think it is quite possible the perps knocked on the Dermonds door, and they opened it.

watcher9 and fred&edna like this.
  20. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Former Member

So I stated this back in October. I ballparked the Dermonds net worth at a max of 4 million dollars. You divide that 4 separate ways and after taxes it’s not as much as some people initially thought.

The one thing that has always tripped me up is the man on the lawn. SS mentioned the lady couldn’t tell if he was white, black or hispanic. How can you say that indeed it’s a man and not a woman then?

I don’t remember him ever mentioning the two people who turned down lie dector tests. Sounds like he does know who did this but needs to be told something he can verify with the last sip of whiskey (evidence) he has held without revealing.

Why can’t this family have friends and family who care enough to want this case solved. It drives me mad that the kids don’t seem to give a crap. That’s freaking ODD.

I wonder how big their life insurance policy was but regardless it doesn’t sound like the kids inherited much more than 400k each.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.