GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thinking about revenge being the motive could this have been done to get back at one of the kids for something?
Hmm. Like... what if one of the adult kids owed someone a pile of money, but the adult kid stated he wouldn't be able to repay it until his/her folks died. Wonder how much SS has looked into the lives and associations of the immediate relatives, all of them, whether or not they were even adults at the time.

.... I've often wondered who knew that the guard gate cameras were not working...were those folks interviewed/ polygraphed??

And I've often wondered if there were other crimes in Reynolds Plantation that weren't made known to the outside world...SS would know or maybe the securityfolks at RP didn't even inform SS. Would you buy a 1M house in an unsafe gated community?? Bad for business. ....
RSBM
Yes.. the fact the cameras were not working - who knew? Surely just some random strangers would not have assumed there would be no cameras recording within a 'gated community'. So for me, that rules out random strangers. They seemed to go to some lengths to hide their identities, so being recorded on camera would have been undesirable for sure.

Were the cameras really knocked out by the storm a couple/few weeks earlier? Or were they tampered with at some point just before the Ds were murdered? How do they know which it was?

Who had physical access to the cameras? Who had access to the recordings? How long were the recordings supposed to last before being written over? Did whoever had access to the recordings never look at the recordings unless there was something odd reported? It seems that even the residents of the gated community would have been unaware that the cameras were not functioning, otherwise, wouldn't they have insisted they be fixed, and wouldn't they have been fixed, or at least an order placed for their repair?

It seems the cameras were only discovered to not be working after SS went looking for the footage. - So perhaps it would therefore make sense to view footage from much earlier to see if anyone out of place had been 'casing' the community way back before 'the storm'? I wonder if this was done?

I think the D son (Mark) who died had a daughter who received an inheritance. ....
RSBM
In this article/interview with SS, it states that the estate was split equally amongst the 3 children.

"The couple's three adult children, Keith, Bradley and Leslie, were questioned and each was separately given a polygraph test. "They were nothing but cooperative," Sills said. They lived out of state, but Sills knows what each was doing when their parents were killed. They had nothing to do with it, he says.

"Their parents' wills divided their estate equally between the three."

The Murders of Elderly Georgia Couple Russell and Shirley Dermond: A Beheading and No Leads

Besides someone being able to open garage, it’s possible it was accidentally left open. I’ve done it and a neighbor called me to let me know. Garage leads directly into my house.
Also think about our lives that no one knows about.
I think as the Sheriff said, this was about money. And when they couldn’t get it they went into a rage. At least 2 people. They obviously thought they would get millions because they didn’t steal Rolex watches etc in house.
Former bank employees would know if they had a lot of money. Kidnapping gone terribly wrong.

Besides someone being able to open garage, it’s possible it was accidentally left open. I’ve done it and a neighbor called me to let me know. Garage leads directly into my house. ....
RSBM
The neighbors who discovered Mr.D said the door was unlocked, so not sure the killer(s) would have needed to gain access via the garage, but it's certainly easy enough to leave a garage door open and not realize it.

SS when questioned about similar crimes didn't mention Robert Hollis in CA who was beheaded and his head is still missing but did name 2 cases in Georgia. The Robert Hollis murder sure resembles the murder of Russell Dermond . No question about if Mark Dermond had a child, No question about the person who broke down during the 1st interview and was reinterviewed.

Yes I still have questions that I need answered before I move onto another theory. Overall a very good podcast i'd just like more answers

I caught that omission re: Robert Hollis, too. Hopefully they have checked into that horrible murder to compare. Also, regarding the woman who broke down (it was a woman, correct?) Didn't Sheriff Sills also say that she was less than truthful? Yes, hockeyguy, there are still many unanswered questions. And that person seen on the property....what in the heck was he/she doing there?

I assume he didn't check into that case because he mentioned the only 2 that came close were done in state but I would hope he's smart enough to notice that case.

I really hope SS isn't just sitting by the phone waiting for a phonecall to tell him something. When this article was written (May 2018, so 4 years later), he was saying: For the past few years, investigating the case has largely consisted of running down tips from the public and contacting other law enforcement agencies when murders of elderly people occur, or deaths involving decapitation.

Only 6 months after the murders he believed he would need to have someone call to tell him what happened, rather than perhaps being able to find answers via investigation? It seems like there might be many things that could be further followed up on? Just because certain people may not have been physically nearby at the perceived time of the murders, doesn't rule out a different kind of culpability?

"Six months into the investigation, I began to realize that this case was going to be one of those cases where we're going to need somebody to give us a telephone call and tell us something. "We have not given up. We are not going to give up." Someone, somewhere, knows who did this, he believes. And they need to pick up a phone. "I need that information, we need that information, the Dermond children need that information, our society needs that information," the sheriff said.

The Murders of Elderly Georgia Couple Russell and Shirley Dermond: A Beheading and No Leads

Levi and I had a very long meeting with the sheriff. There is nothing new. Is there any Avenue you can think of that has not been looked into?

Levi and I had a very long meeting with the sheriff. There is nothing new. Is there any Avenue you can think of that has not been looked into?

Yes. I want to know why Mr. D'S military fingerprints came back so quickly. SS seemed surprised about that in the podcast. Why the surprise?
What did Mr. D do in the Navy and what did he do at Westclox/Seth Thomas? And did Mr. D work at the plant during WW2 when the plant was used for the war effort?

Vendetta? I think the good Doctor is correct.

Great podcast!!

And slightly off topic- in the last 3 years of my elderly mother's life she told me some family stuff that I did not see coming...nothing illegal, but shocking in my prim and proper southern family. Well, maybe my great- grandfather being a bootlegger was illegal.
It's possible/ likely the D adult children know nothing about some of their history. JMO and my life

Fantastic podcast, Tricia and Levi! So curious as to why SS has hit a dead end. Makes me think about Foxfire and his theory. He was so certain the Nuwabians had committed this crime, as some sort of message to the sheriff. At the time, I thought he was way off base, but here we are, almost five years later, with no answers.

I would like to know if the son Mark Dermond had any kids. I'd also like to know about the person who was untruthful during the 1st round of questioning that SS says he took a harder stance with the 2nd time. If there was a trace amount of gun powder found on his shirt I would assume a silencer was used but i'd like to know why he thinks they weren't killed at the house as he seems confident in that assessment . I'd also like to know if they found footprints in the yard or driveway ( I assume they swept the whole area and it's not possible to cover footprints unless the killers suffered from severe OCD. The Robert Hollis beheading seems very similar and i'm shocked he didn't mention that.

Overall a great podcast but I wish more questions were asked

"According to Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills, there were no signs of forced entry or indications of a struggle in the home. Nothing was out of place—jewelry and medications were seemingly as the Dermonds had left them."

So, if there were no contents in the D's stomachs can't LE narrow the timeline? I did hear that in the podcast, didn't I?

And @hockeyguy33 there are 9 grandchildren according to this link but I have no idea how many are in KD, BD or LDP Branch of the family. I'm sure I read somewhere Mark D had a child. JMO

This is a good recap.

GONE COLD | The murders at Lake Oconee: 4 years later, elderly couple’s son opens up

JMO

What did the Sheriff say about the bank angle?
Besides that Mr D. Went there that morning.
Like did they see anyone on camera looking shady? Bank employees grilled?
I realize obvious line of inquiry but I don’t remember the question asked/answered on any media platform by the Sheriff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288