GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hockeyguy33

hockeyguy33 Well-Known Member

I agree i'm just checking boxes and ruling nothing out. I believe this was about money but I also believe there was a deep seeded rage

watcher9, wildebeest and fred&edna like this.
  2. TJtennispro

TJtennispro Well-Known Member

Yep it’s man made. I only know of two lakes that aren’t man made. You’ve got to think about fishing spots. Where do people fish? I’n a cove or on the main channel.

I’ve never seen an article refer to the exact location of the body. I’ve only got the word of people who own homes at the Lake.

I’ve never personally hit any trees on a boat or jet ski in 50-80 feet of water much less multiple trees. I’ve also never seen guys fishing in the main channel. Regardless unless SS comes on here and tells me I’m wrong then that’s where the body was found. Give or take 15 feet each way.

Seattle1, watcher9 and fred&edna like this.
  3. TJtennispro

Hopefully this picture looks as similar to you as the one I posted. The location would be just out of the picture (bottom) Also it would make sense for the SUV’s seen near a peninsula.

Attached Files:

Seattle1 and fred&edna like this.
  4. FinePrint

FinePrint Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  5. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

MJPeony, FinePrint and watcher9 like this.
  6. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

If the standing timber attract fishermen, why would anyone drop a body there to possibly be seen on a depth finder? I would think that more than likely the body was dropped up river and when the gases began to develop, it slowly drifted down the river under the surface until the rope or blocks tied to it were caught in the tree limbs.

7. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

Investigators: Shirley Dermond died of blunt force trauma

The presser by SS in link above describes the area where SD body located around the 19:00 mark.

I also found entire video a good listen.

8. TJtennispro

Wallace Dam and Lake Oconee Parkway are the roads he referenced which are ironically the roads on the map in my image. Dropped in the main channel and drifted towards tree line. I’ve said that’s where the DNR, police, etc were set up that day recovering the body. That’s all I can say about that. I don’t know anymore and I don’t think we will ever get exact gps location.

Knowing the area is helpful to solving the crime but wanting the exact location is irrelevant since that’s impossible to judge because where it was dropped obviously wasn’t the exact location it was found.

Hapworth, cpeacock1, watcher9 and 3 others like this.
  9. FinePrint

watcher9 and Seattle1 like this.
  10. hockeyguy33

hockeyguy33 Well-Known Member

I personally feel SS knows who did this and why they did this. I said it many times a good cop always has someone he suspects and the last podcast confirmed he thinks 2 people had ties to this brutal double murder. He also said he has something the killers left behind so he certainly has a good idea of who it is but for some reason needs a witness or confession to make the charges stick. Does anyone know when the next podcast is due out?

11. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I've recently joined this case.

Are there links to previous podcasts in this thread?

Who produces them? Thanks for any information.

12. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

fred&edna likes this.
  13. Seattle1

Seattle1 #LiveLikeLizzy

I thought there was a local (GA) attorney doing a series of podcasts on crimes in this state including Dermond murders. I wasn't aware that WS was doing anything on this -- thanks so much.

watcher9 likes this.
  14. FinePrint

Listen to the Sworn Episode - The Lake Oconee Murders : Part 1 on iHeartRadio | iHeartRadio

There are 3 parts to this podcast by Phillip Holloway. This may be what you are thinking of.

This is another podcast about the Dermonds that you may like:
    'Murder at Great Waters' Podcast, Part 1

Seattle1, deugirtni and watcher9 like this.
  15. dancinunderthemoon

dancinunderthemoon Well-Known Member

The issue was that is was the DAY Of the Derby party? Fear someone would come looking? They needed a get away and 48 hr window,seems they knew what they were doing. They knew it would be discovered but didnt want it discovered right away, they werent worried about the mailman, he usually doesnt come down the drive anyway

watcher9 and Seattle1 like this.
  16. dancinunderthemoon

Payne Lindsey with Ga atty PH did but it wasnt investigative, just a short podcast on what was already known

watcher9, hockeyguy33 and Seattle1 like this.
  17. dancinunderthemoon

i had a lawn chair under my dock for 4 years......current moves floating things on top but not so much underneath, I used a cinderblock to anchor my jet ski, it never moved but a few feet for years

oceanblueeyes and watcher9 like this.
  18. dancinunderthemoon

FinePrint may have been wondering if there was an access to that from land.....which was determined then there was not but who knows now......... Dont be rude, you just came on this case as well, sorry,didnt mean to be rude

It was in a stand of trees where she was found about 5 miles from their home, just past the last bend down river before Lawrence Shoals boat ramp..... I posted this many months or a year ago. IT can be found online Im sure or on WS, shows the water depts and trees......IIRC it was not as deep as was mentioned by SS but Im going from memory at this point...........its been a while I posted that

19. dancinunderthemoon

LOL........I commented on this too in response to his comment........see if that info helps

watcher9 and FinePrint like this.
  20. dancinunderthemoon

Exactly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.