GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure but it could have to do with a mortgage, loan, foreclosure or lawsuit. Not posting a link because it would show someone's name but this involved Wells Fargo as an appellant.

The agreement also contained a clause in which the parties purported to release each other from any causes of action in law or in equity that arose before the agreement.
I find this lein interesting. In a community I used to live in, the Home Owners assoc. (HOA) could put a lein on the property if homeowners dues had not been paid.....for whatever reason (and there were lots of them). Or the Assoc. had to pick up expenses for the property that the owners refused to pay: such as lawn maintenance; cutting down trees, homeowners dues.
When the house is sold, the atty for the Home owners Assoc. is there to collect what is owed them. And the reason I do find this interesting is because: did the D's have an ongoing or unresolved issue with the HOA? I'm suprised the D's didn't have a lawn maintenance crew on a property that large.

I find this lein interesting. In a community I used to live in, the Home Owners assoc. (HOA) could put a lein on the property if homeowners dues had not been paid.....for whatever reason (and there were lots of them). Or the Assoc. had to pick up expenses for the property that the owners refused to pay: such as lawn maintenance; cutting down trees, homeowners dues.
When the house is sold, the atty for the Home owners Assoc. is there to collect what is owed them. And the reason I do find this interesting is because: did the D's have an ongoing or unresolved issue with the HOA? I'm suprised the D's didn't have a lawn maintenance crew on a property that large.

Lis Pendens I think it's called, no not on the Dermonds property

I know, that's what everyone says about that, has anyone found any different? I know this ahs been going around for awhile but I believe it was told by family early on, that they had no lawn maint guy..........havent heard for certain they did

Hey Kay.........it was always told they didnt have a lawn maintenance team but I do remember that the neighbors in Asia had a lawn crew there that saturday and said they heard loud voices coming from the D's house.............

You can look at RD picture and see it in his eyes, he's no nonsense, or can be for sure
dancin, It's hard to believe the D's did their own lawn maintenance, especially in that community and being in their 80's. Usually an HOA does this if they have one there.

Yes. When we had an HOA, we had a neighbor who's garage I always admired, it was so organized. They were there for close to 11 years and never paid their HOAs. Their house went up for sale and the guy who took care of the community said when they sell their house they are not getting anything.

dancin, It's hard to believe the D's did their own lawn maintenance, especially in that community and being in their 80's. Usually an HOA does this if they have one there.
I agree, maybe one reason why they were talking of downsizing

Was looking to see if I could locate anything on family stating it but maybe they didnt have a REGULAR lawn guy.....but I dont know how he did it either, on that hill. Did he even have a mower? IDK

I never thought, from pictures, that the yard looked that kempt and maintained .....though nice enough for the area. LOts of pinestraw in front and a few in back, could be he had someone do the beds from time to time and he just mowed what little grass there is

so in that case, there WOULD be some sort of lawn maintenance personnel

There is no way an 88 year old guy is cutting a lawn that size and definitely not on the hills in the backyard. A landscaper was definitely cutting that lawn. Liens are disturbing it says someone was in over their head

There is no way an 88 year old guy is cutting a lawn that size and definitely not on the hills in the backyard. A landscaper was definitely cutting that lawn. Liens are disturbing it says someone was in over their head
And didn't they have a pool? No way was he cleaning and maintaining that on his own either. He had to have had a pool maintenance crew come weekly as well.
I think about Rand Paul and how upset his neighbor was with him regarding stacked wood on the property line. So, who knows if there wasn't some conflict with the D's and neighbors.
I also think about all those trees. We had Pines dying all the time (pine beetle disease) and were having to remove dead trees on a regular basis. Our neighbors could get anxious if we didn't have them cut down right away.

And to be clear about the lein: was the lien applied against the Dermond's property and was the lien paid and collected at the sale of the property? I don't think the D's were in over their heads but Mr. D. may have had some dispute with the HOA.

When I first read this, I was thinking, 'yeah, bet the HOA fees include lawn maintenance'.. but then upon further reflection, I take that back. These were not 'condos' with tiny plots of land, these were expansive estates, and everyone with their own level of design and expense in landscaping.. there's no way the HOA would have had someone taking care of these as a flat fee included in the dues, some may not want a regular guy just doing their lawncutting.. too much room for error, etc.. too much liability risk for the HOA, etc.

On the other hand, even though I don't believe the HOA would've looked after the homeowners' lawns.. it would make sense that the Ds, given their elderly ages, would have someone to look after it for them.. but then again, as per what 'dancin' said upthread, it didn't seem like the Ds had an especially well-maintained or designed landscaping on their property.. how much lawn *was* there to even mow? Maybe they just got in a guy to do this and that, here and there, as needed, and RD looked after perhaps whatever little 'lawn' there was to cut? It was also said somewhere in an article that SD enjoyed gardening, so assuming she may have tended to her own gardens.. if they even needed tending, perhaps they were mostly perennials needing little care?

No pool. Neighbors aren’t like that around these parts.

And didn't they have a pool? No way was he cleaning and maintaining that on his own either. He had to have had a pool maintenance crew come weekly as well.
I think about Rand Paul and how upset his neighbor was with him regarding stacked wood on the property line. So, who knows if there wasn't some conflict with the D's and neighbors.
I also think about all those trees. We had Pines dying all the time (pine beetle disease) and were having to remove dead trees on a regular basis. Our neighbors could get anxious if we didn't have them cut down right away.

And to be clear about the lein: was the lien applied against the Dermond's property and was the lien paid and collected at the sale of the property? I don't think the D's were in over their heads but Mr. D. may have had some dispute with the HOA.

HOA dues are $200. That does not include lawn care. HOA only covers lawn care when your yard is a strip of grass.

When I first read this, I was thinking, 'yeah, bet the HOA fees include lawn maintenance'.. but then upon further reflection, I take that back. These were not 'condos' with tiny plots of land, these were expansive estates, and everyone with their own level of design and expense in landscaping.. there's no way the HOA would have had someone taking care of these as a flat fee included in the dues, some may not want a regular guy just doing their lawncutting.. too much room for error, etc.. too much liability risk for the HOA, etc.

On the other hand, even though I don't believe the HOA would've looked after the homeowners' lawns.. it would make sense that the Ds, given their elderly ages, would have someone to look after it for them.. but then again, as per what 'dancin' said upthread, it didn't seem like the Ds had an especially well-maintained or designed landscaping on their property.. how much lawn *was* there to even mow? Maybe they just got in a guy to do this and that, here and there, as needed, and RD looked after perhaps whatever little 'lawn' there was to cut? It was also said somewhere in an article that SD enjoyed gardening, so assuming she may have tended to her own gardens.. if they even needed tending, perhaps they were mostly perennials needing little care?

HOA dues are $200. That does not include lawn care. HOA only covers lawn care when your yard is a strip of grass.

Didn't they have a 2 story screen covering the lanais of the home? Maybe I'm imagining that.

It must be $200 a month for Homeowners fee. If paid quarterly it would be $800 per quarter. Yearly, that's $3200. Those fees would go toward security and Guard gate, road maintenance (since the roads were private), plantings in the common areas (Not on individuals yards), care and upkeep of the common landscape
areas, management fees and who knows what all else.

Some gated communities may have periodic assessments if the HOA runs out of money.

Not sure what you mean by "neighbors aren't like that." I can assure you that if it effects the neighbor's home in any negative way, it can be an issue and things can get dicey.

I forgot when you have private homes there usually is not HOA lawn maintenance. When we had a home, we had an HOA which covered the community entrance landscaping and gates. When we had a townhome it covered lawn maintenance, house painting, etc.

I know that crazy neighbors and poor planning can be a dicey situation but they didn’t have an abundance of neighbors.

The closest house is owned by a musician from a fairly famous band of Athens, GA.
He is not a crazy neighbor. So between basically not having neighbors in the first place and the one not being crazy I stand by what I said.

I’m not sure what your first sentence is supposed to say so I can’t address that part.

$200 a month an extremely low number for a HOA fee. I assumed that everyone would realize I meant monthly when I disclosed the HOA fee. My HOA fees have been from $265-$430 a month depending on the property I’ve owned. $3200 yearly is not much money for the area I promise you that.

Didn't they have a 2 story screen covering the lanais of the home? Maybe I'm imagining that.

It must be $200 a month for Homeowners fee. If paid quarterly it would be $800 per quarter. Yearly, that's $3200. Those fees would go toward security and Guard gate, road maintenance (since the roads were private), plantings in the common areas (Not on individuals yards), care and upkeep of the common landscape
areas, management fees and who knows what all else.

Some gated communities may have periodic assessments if the HOA runs out of money.

Not sure what you mean by "neighbors aren't like that." I can assure you that if it effects the neighbor's home in any negative way, it can be an issue and things can get dicey.

Attachments

• E445C2C5-E1AA-4D67-9B89-9662C7A13CCD.jpeg
    E445C2C5-E1AA-4D67-9B89-9662C7A13CCD.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 10
I know that crazy neighbors and poor planning can be a dicey situation but they didn’t have an abundance of neighbors.

The closest house is owned by a musician from a fairly famous band of Athens, GA.
He is not a crazy neighbor. So between basically not having neighbors in the first place and the one not being crazy I stand by what I said.

I’m not sure what your first sentence is supposed to say so I can’t address that part.

$200 a month an extremely low number for a HOA fee. I assumed that everyone would realize I meant monthly when I disclosed the HOA fee. My HOA fees have been from $265-$430 a month depending on the property I’ve owned. $3200 yearly is not much money for the area I promise you that.
But I guess what I'm wondering is, maybe he didn't pay his HOA fees for several years. I had a next door neighbor, for whatever reason, refused to pay his HOA dues for 3 years. So they leined the house and collected his fees plus interest at closing.

Hockeyguy may be right. Maybe Mr. D's money was tied up in real estate or investments and he didn't have the available dollars to pay the fees or hire a yard company. Maybe money was tighter than anyone realized and cash wasn't going to be available until he sold the house, or died before getting it on the market.

Hockey my neighbor in town had a bigger yard than that and he mowed it every week at 94 yrs old!

Not saying RD DID, but it's possible, all they do is SIT and ride

WHAT ARE YALL TALKING ABOUT? RUssell and SHirley Dermond had no lien on THEIR HOUSE!

somebody in the family did on theirs at one time

THE D"S HOUSE had ONE NEIGHBOR On that CUL DE SAC, there was a lot inbetween them, no houses across the street and woods behind those and a dead end lot with woods

if you go up the road there are house after house of lake homes on this street

but at the end of the street where teh D's lived, they had none next door or across the street neighbros

the ONLY ONE THEY HAD beside them couldnt even see his house due to the trees between them and the D's because of the wooded vacant lot in between and they were in ASIA!

I forgot when you have private homes there usually is not HOA lawn maintenance. When we had a home, we had an HOA which covered the community entrance landscaping and gates. When we had a townhome it covered lawn maintenance, house painting, etc.
you are correct, it's not for personal use, if you home needs repairs that arent up to standard of their rules, theyll make YOU get the work done

It covers the public areas of your subdivision

unless its condos, the painting and repairs I think gets done by the HOA that everyone contributes to for this

No pool. Neighbors aren’t YES THEY ARE! I have friends with pools, they arent abundant but their are some

Their once was an ad or zillow information online abou the D's house and besdie Pool, it was MISTAKENLY CHECKED YES.........it was later determined over the past 4 years, the D's had no pool

I dont know that it did or did not DG........but I suppose if they had gotten to where the yard was unkempt the HOA would step in but typically they send you a formal letter making threats and demand you fix it

Yes, condos are different, i think it includes exterior maintenance of the whole complex and common areas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288