GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - #12

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by KateB, May 16, 2015.

1. dancinunderthemoon

dancinunderthemoon Well-Known Member

What day... would be slightly important ....her daughter visited a week to 10 days before the murders......thursdsy before the derby party RD had gone to publix.....im sure he was out and about other days too, it certainly peaks ones interest...but if someone was there Thursday they didint kill them til after later evening Fri as she had worked the crossword that afternoon or eveninv and had also sent emails.. i don't see the killer working the crossword...

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    watcher9 and wildebeest like this.
  2. dancinunderthemoon

It was only on the 70s the week of the murder, specificslly on saturdsy...

watcher9 likes this.
  3. deugirtni

deugirtni Well-Known Member

I find it interesting that the adult children stated to SS that their mother only does crosswords at a certain time of day - even though - when was the last time they lived with her, to know of her daily ongoing habits?

watcher9, wildebeest and fred&edna like this.
  4. deugirtni

I also think it is a big clue about the bed being unmade - considering that the rest of the home, other than a couple dishes in the sink, was immaculate, and looked, according to SS, 'staged' by real estate. This should give us a big clue on the timing, shouldn't it? Would this indicate that for whatever reason, SD got up early (Fri or Sat?), left RD sleeping in bed, and slipped out in a vehicle with someone? Then RD awakens a little later, still in his robe...

watcher9 and fred&edna like this.
  5. dancinunderthemoon

Shirley did them mornings or was it lunch time but seeing how that particular paper came late at a different time since it was Saturday's paper delivered on Fri...was thinking she would do it at a differnt time maybe

But I agree, how did they know for sure

watcher9 likes this.
  6. dancinunderthemoon

I think immaculate because it was nearly empty.....i assumed or rather it appeared she'd risen earlier than him, as was her habit, IIRC, she was dressed for the day he wasnt and he tended to lounge in robe...but it does give some informtiin as to time

watcher9 likes this.
  7. deugirtni

Wasn't it said (by the minister of the church? Or SS?) that the daughter was reportedly at church with the Ds on Easter Sunday, which would have been April 20th (in 2014)? That would have been 2 weeks prior to their murders. IIRC, the minister had also said the daughter had been in church with her mother/parents the week prior... I take that as he was mistaken in his weeks in relation to Easter?

8. deugirtni

Funny how the children know exactly their mother's current habits, but yet they can't say for certain if anything in the home was missing.... which is certainly understandable for adult kids who don't live with their parents.. but by same token, they also would NOT know their parents current habits in schedule, nor if they ever varied from their norms, etc.

9. deugirtni

I believe it was 8 years that SS said he went back into the Ds' financial records, which isn't really long enough, imho.

1&2&3, CalmSeas, Jbetty567 and 2 others like this.
  10. deugirtni

What's your theory wildebeest, are you able to say?

11. deugirtni

I wonder if it is possible these two neighbors may have heard a radio show, or TV show playing (loudly due to perhaps hearing/preference) in the background?

I'm just thinking perhaps this is possible since, surely the two neighbors, having never been there before, would've seemed strange to come knocking on the door wanting water, knowing that the Ds had company? (I am assuming that if there were multiple visitors inside, there would've been at least one vehicle in the driveway which didn't belong to the Ds, so neighbors would've known they had company at the time - so who would actually do that at that time, sort of thing?)

Also, is it a bit of a stretch to state as fact that the Ds did not allow house guests outside of family, based on only that you've not heard of anyone ever visiting other than family?

12. dancinunderthemoon

Ive said that for years.........It's not and I thought It was less than 10 years, was being cautious without the data in front of me......thanks for sharing...

Hapworth likes this.
  13. dancinunderthemoon

Right? Also Seemed like the neighbors who found them were very familiar with the place

watcher9, deugirtni and fred&edna like this.
  14. dancinunderthemoon

If the house was barely furnished, what would there be to miss ?...…….I cant see costume jewelry missing as a problem or likely LOL....…….I would hope theyd know of important items missing so if not, how close were they really?

My house however? SO many collectibles, no one would know what's missing

15. dancinunderthemoon

If they were strangers, I wouldn't let them in either. She problaby was perplexed as to why they needed water in 70 degrees LOL...…...and if they knew her then were likely from nearby, SD was probably watching a show adn was interrupted...........go home your drunk...……..LOL

but Im not buying it, it was not hot that day or week.

Oh and About the preacher, I only remember reading the daughter was at church easter sunday

watcher9 likes this.
  16. deugirtni

Yes, good catch. They did seem to just walk right in and make their way around the entire house looking for them. And nothing was said about feeling awkward about it considering they'd never been inside the home before then. Also, I had read that RD was good golfing buds with the gentleman next door (the then-deceased husband of the next door neighbor who was apparently in 'Asia' at the time of the murders), which I guess says nothing about whether he'd actually ever been invited in, but...

17. deugirtni

I know that if it were me, I don't let strangers into my home, ever. Unless they are expected and donning some kind of official ID, like a repairman of some sort who had been asked to visit. Even if it were 2 female neighbors.. whom I didn't really know.. and didn't the Ds have some kind of a covered porch.. or am I mistaking their home with another? No reason why not to have a seat there, and especially when they are intruding on company visiting.

watcher9, dancinunderthemoon and Razz like this.
  18. dancinunderthemoon

We just don't know but they were social enough, you don't have to invite people to your house every weekend at 88 yrs old LOL

watcher9 and deugirtni like this.
  19. deugirtni

I will try to find the article I read wherein the preacher is quoted saying the weekend before.. I know at the time I read it, it brought out my sleuthing side, and I had to go looking at 2014 calendars and holiday dates to set myself straight.. but in the end, I believe it was just a mixup of either the preacher or how the reporter wrote it, or something.

watcher9 and dancinunderthemoon like this.
  20. dancinunderthemoon

NO way, me either...…

they had a front covered porch and a side screened porch, all porches on the lake side were covered too

I just don't get why 2 female NEIGHBORS would walk down there and suddenly realize they are thirsty...……..what did they initially want? who were they? not enough information

CalmSeas likes this.