GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam Co, 2 May 2014 - #13

I just seen this case on HLN and was so surprised when I found out it was unsolved. I watched the entire show thinking I would see justice before it ended but...
I came straight here and was glad to find so much interest from members after so long. Needless to say, I have a lot of catch up reading to do. Cold cases are so frustrating.

I just seen this case on HLN and was so surprised when I found out it was unsolved. I watched the entire show thinking I would see justice before it ended but...
I came straight here and was glad to find so much interest from members after so long. Needless to say, I have a lot of catch up reading to do. Cold cases are so frustrating.

You are right: cold cases are frustrating, but my belief is that often (though not always) cases go cold because they were not properly and thoroughly investigated. I cannot even count the times I have watched cases that have gone cold for decades and years later when other detectives review the file they find out that a witness wasn't followed up with or some piece of evidence was ignored. It happens so often it is shocking.

You are right: cold cases are frustrating, but my belief is that often (though not always) cases go cold because they were not properly and thoroughly investigated. I cannot even count the times I have watched cases that have gone cold for decades and years later when other detectives review the file they find out that a witness wasn't followed up with or some piece of evidence was ignored. It happens so often it is shocking.

This is so true. Technology also plays a roll with old cases a lot of the time. I know little so far about the sheriff in this case but I do think he is spot on about something and that’s the possibility of somebody telling it at some point. Tho it isn’t impossible, I’m not thinking that this was a single person who done this. At least I hope not since the chances are better if there is more than one. Speaking of tech, I’m amazed that cameras weren’t more helpful even tho it’s been a while back. I have hope in your suggestion too that other eyes may spark a lead.

Hi everyone.

Just like worm I just watched the HLN program.

I remembered back in May 14,2014 I posted a partial timeline. The original Eatonville Messenger Link is broken.

Websleuths member Suba99 posted May 14,2o14
“SUBA99” said:
Here is a detailed timeline up to May 9th from the Eatonton Messenger
http://www.msgr.com/news/local_news/article_d8154a8a-db9a-11e3-b822-0019bb2963f4.html

‘I thanked and posted back to Suba99 May14,2014

“MizStery” said:
Thanks to scubadvr99 for the link to the Eatonton Messenger.

Eatonton Messenger Timeline Karen Bridgeman

Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills says he believes Russell Dermond was killed Friday, May 2, or Saturday, May 3.

A timeline is compiled from available information follows:

This is an edited version.

Thursday, May 1: Russell Dermond is seen at Publix in Lake Oconee Village Shopping Center. Shirley Dermond plays in one of the twice-weekly bridge games hosted at The Plaza Arts Center by the Eatonton Duplicate Bridge Club;

<snipped>

Friday, May 2: A resident reports seeing someone he thought was Russell Dermond walking on the neighborhood golf course, but says he is not sure.

Shirley Dermond works a crossword puzzle in Friday edition of USAToday

<snipped>

Saturday, May 3: Mail delivered to the home is not picked up, and the Dermonds fail to show up at a Kentucky Derby party

<snipped>

Tuesday, May 6: Russell Dermond’s body is discovered by a neighbor checking on the couple shortly before 10 a.m. Shirley Dermond is missing. The house is unlocked Shirley Dermond’s purse, Russell Dermond wallet, cell phones and credit cards are there; cars are in the garage.

Our patrol boat was dragging the cove within an hour and our cadaver dog was searching the adjacent woods within two hours; of receiving the 911 call, Sills said.

<snipped>

Wednesday, May 7: The Dermond children arrive in Putnam County: daughter Leslie Patton from North Carolina and sons Keith and Brad from Florida. A third son, Mark, was killed in 2000 his killer is serving life plus 25 years.*

Thursday, May 8: Sills holds the only press conference of the case.

<snipped>

Friday, May 9: Sills says autopsy results show Mrs Drumond’s cause of death is craniocerebral trauma

<snipped>

GA - GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 3

‘I apologize my ‘copy and paste’ post is displaying with odd ‘ editor html’ thrown in.I have attempted to clean it up.

For posters who hopefully might remember ‘does it seem like way back in 2014 there was reporting on some ‘conflict’ among extended family or business partners relating to the lucrative restaurant franchises.I remember Mr Drummond owned numerous restaurants ?

just My Opinion
MOO

Last edited:
<snipped>
He (Sills)also theorized that the killings could have possibly been due to some type of grudge from many years ago.

<snipped>
For posters who hopefully might remember ‘does it seem like way back in 2014 there was reporting on some ‘conflict’ among extended family or business partners relating to the lucrative restaurant franchises.I remember Mr Dermond owned then had sold numerous restaurants ?

just My Opinion

I have looked for the investigative articles or video’s discussing the very lucrative history of the Dermond’s franchises and any fallout from their sale. Of course this all transpired prior to their retirement to Georgia.

This resentment could even have happened after Mr Dermond’s retirement. . Perhaps his extended family using profits leveraged this advantage into acquiring distressed businesses. Gosh I just do not remember? (Since I am asking for help I will say this is my theory only)

I remember reading disturbing reporting on this topic in 2014. Reporters clearly alluded to possible outside hostility toward his business associates or individuals in his extended family.This is a haunting mystery that I would love to see solved.If any one else remembers the journalists or has links(unfortunately by 2021 most are broken or by subscription only) that would be awesome.

Just My Opinion/Theory based on faulty memory

Last edited:
Just my thoughts gathered from the HLN show but I thought LE looked pretty deep into the victims business interests and their son?
Hello Worm!

I agree the investigation into the death of their son was exhaustive and had no bearing on this crime. The fact Sills emphasized the possibility of a grudge brings me back to the early reporting on the Durmond’s lucrative ownership and sale of their restaurant franchises.(my opinion only)

After viewing the HLN show I had so many questions that I just had to go back to refresh my memory. Our Webseluths thread on the Dermond’s had the best timeline & reporting from 2014. My gut feeling is if this tragedy from 2014 is to ever be solved then independent fresh eyes should be allowed to review the evidence.

I would like to see Sills invite another outside agency to start from the beginning and look for clues or tips that he may have dismissed).

All I can say is Sills narrative is choppy(?)this may be due to HLN editing (anyhow it set off my hinky meter) My Opinion Only

MOO

Last edited:
Hi-
I recall there was some effort to clarify the circumstances of the son’s death years earlier as definitely being drug related.

Indeed, fresh eyes might help!

I’ve always felt it was an “inside job” executed by highly trained and handsomely paid assassins. JMHO

Ok, so we know alcoholism and drug addiction often have a genetic component. We know how trauma affects the brain and its not good.

All three of their adult children were thoroughly investigated.

What about the grandson who inherited his deceased father's portion of the estate? He was a young adult, correct?

It doesn't sound like he was looked at as thoroughly (phone records, lie detector, etc).

Could he have been following in his father's footsteps? IMO all family members need to be looked at and interviewed again.

I think that someone hired a criminal to help them kill the Dermonds. Access would've been easy to gain.

"Hey, we just wanted to come say hello. We went out for a boat ride. Let's have some tea."

The lamp shade gets hit.

Or...

"Come out to see my new boat!"

Then a surprise ambush. We know the rest.

There are too many possibilities with the information we have. After all these years, we don't know the motive, how the crime happened, where it happened or when it occurred.

Franchising can be a cutthroat business where you make enemies, but there are thousands of franchise owners in the US. Unless there is a specific event, it's too high level a speculation.

ETA: The kids are deeply involved in the business so they would know if there were any notable incidents for fights. It's probably one of the first questions the Sheriff asked them, " did your father have any enemies, anyone who would harm them". They're also less likely to lie because initially their mother was missing and it's possible she was kidnapped/alive.

Last edited:
Just watched the Real Life Nightmare episode of this on HLN. What a horrific crime! So odd it hasn’t been solved. The sheriff stated he has some evidence, that if ever any suspect could be used to “match up” something. He wouldn’t say what it was.

Hi, new member here. This case has been bothering me...I recently saw that they assume that Russell was decapitated because the killer or killers didn't want the bullet in his head to be found. Meaning it was a bullet that didn't go all the way through...which limits to gun type. But I am more interested in why they wouldn't want the shell linked back to the gun. This has to be someone in their inner circle who owns a registered firearm. Someone that knows they'd be looked at, and knows the police would learn about the guns they owned. If it was a burglar, a hired gun, they wouldn't care about the bullet being found. Any thoughts?
I’ve been reading up on this case just recently. I agree it could likely be someone in their inner circle. RD’s head taken, so that the bullet wouldn’t be found. Did they not plan for that ? Did the murderer think the bullet would exit? Seems like someone close. I still have questions about the family of the son who was murdered a few years prior. But I know I have more reading to do.

I admit I haven't gone back and read everything in the thread... but I wonder if they've subjected the towels stuffed in the garage door crack to the latest DNA testing. We know the killer touched them (almost certainly). If he had gloves on, it won't help... but if there's any foreign DNA on the towels, might be our best bet.

I admit I haven't gone back and read everything in the thread... but I wonder if they've subjected the towels stuffed in the garage door crack to the latest DNA testing. We know the killer touched them (almost certainly). If he had gloves on, it won't help... but if there's any foreign DNA on the towels, might be our best bet.

Sheriff Sills once said he would ride his bicycle from here to McIntyre backward with thumbtacks in his butt if he thought it would solve this case. So... I would hope he's still trying and testing all the latest techniques but who knows?

Sheriff Sills (bicycle/thumbtacks) direct quote can be found here:

6 YEARS LATER

Last edited:
Sheriff Sills once said he would ride his bicycle from here to McIntyre backward with thumbtacks in his butt if he thought it would solve this case. So... I would hope he's still trying and testing all the latest techniques but who knows?

Sheriff Sills (bicycle/thumbtacks) direct quote can be found here:

6 YEARS LATER
Wondering if they have contacted @othram yet?
Thanks for the link.. rbbm.

''Technology may be the link that’s been missing in finding out who murdered Russell and Shirley Dermond six years ago. Putnam County Sheriff Howard Sills said he met with FBI agents for several hours last week to discuss how technology now being used to solve and prosecute cases could help in the Dermond case.

“We looked over some of the photographs of the crime scene and talked about a lot of things,” Sills said. “We talked a lot about technology that is available today that wasn’t available primarily back then.”

Russell Dermond, 88, and his wife, Shirley, 87, were brutally killed in early May 2014. They had accepted an invitation to attend a Derby Day Party at the home of some friends but never showed up at the party. The party’s hostess asked a mutual friend to take some roses from the party over to the Dermonds and to check on them; and through a window, he saw Russell Dermond’s lifeless, decapitated body in the garage. Mrs. Dermond’s corpse was found by fishermen in Lake Oconee more than a week later about six miles from the couple’s home in Great Waters.''

''Agents with the FBI’s Behavioral Unit have also been involved.
Anyone with information about this case should call the Putnam County Sheriff’s Office at 706-485-8557 or leave a tip via the website at putnamcountysheriff. org. Scroll to the bottom of the home page and click on “Crime Tip Hotline – Submit Via Email.”

“I’ll just say that there was valuable evidence that we have yet to match up to anything.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back