GA GA - Shirley, 87, & Russell Dermond, 88, Putnam County, 2 May 2014 - # 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Imo, Sheriff Sills is beginning to sound a little wishy-washy, Nuvolari..
Wondering why it took investigators almost 3 weeks to discuss the hydraulic dynamics of the lake and likely movement of SD's body? Sheriff Sills said, "the lake has unusual dynamics from the man-made tides." Guess, someone maybe reading the WS SD thread, huh?

*Investigators are still looking for solid leads in the Dermond case.

* Just down the Eatonton Hwy in Madison, GA, arrests were made of multiple gang members at an apartment complex for aggravated robbery 05/01/14.. (Likely not related, imo, Just an FYI)

They could discuss hydraulics while using florescent water jugs filled 90% with water and connected together in "dummy" groups of 21 equaling 150 pounds of water per "dummy", and putting those at as many locations as practical around the lake, starting with the Dermond Cove and then downstream in some pattern. Each dummy would be marked and/or fitted with a transponder. Then they would start recording the movement of all for a period of, say, two weeks? The dummies would float low in the water with each jug having a 10% air "bubble" in each jug. Kind of like, say, a corpse, perhaps.

Let the boaters do whatever and just announce the test and ask for appropriate cooperation.

Attachments

• floater.JPG
    floater.JPG
    244.3 KB · Views: 18
Perhaps a neighboring state, like Florida? :dunno:

The Florida line is hundreds of miles away from where this happened.

The closest state line to where it happened would be Tennessee and SC I would think.

IMO

Fox, a great read - I ended up reading the entire BAU-2 article, not just the media section.

:tyou:

Thanx, atthelake... The FBI 09/2005 symposium on serial murder is very informative and a must read for LE/Investigators, imo. Specifically for rural LE/Sheriffs & Police Departments that lack the experience or investigative resources necessary in high profile homicide investigations.

This symposium lowered the definition of serial murder from 3 victims to only 2, for the specific purpose of allowing these smaller departments to request and receive the unlimited investigative resources of the FBI BAU2 and other federal agencies.

The media management strategy utilized in an investigation, although only one of the investigative tools utilized, is critical for a successful outcome, imo..

All available resources must be utilized by investigators to insure justice for the innocent victims of homicide.. The refusal by Sheriff Howard Sills to request the assistance and resources of the GBI is fubar, imo...

The Florida line is hundreds of miles away from where this happened.

The closest state line to where it happened would be Tennessee and SC I would think.

IMO

farther than sc and tn and al but still a neighboring state

Huddle House Greensboro, GA Hours 6 AM to 10 PM est Phone: (706) 453-9833
Lake Oconee Parkway

Scroll down - http://greensborogeorgia.blogspot.com/2013/09/huddle-house-greensboro-georgia-lake.html

Note USA Today box out front.

Sorry....This is a mute point. I just called USA Today subscription department and the Dermonds got their paper delivered by carrier. Easy...I asked if they delivered to 145 Carolyn Dr (vacant lot next door), would I get it in the mail or by carrier. The woman looked it up and said "by carrier, because the residents at 147 Carolyn Dr had it delivered by carrier but they no longer get the paper."

My bad, Mr. D didn't buy the newspaper outside the Huddle House.

Imo, Sheriff Sills is beginning to sound a little wishy-washy, Nuvolari..

Wondering why it took DNR/investigators almost 3 weeks to discuss the hydraulic dynamics of the lake and likely movement of SD's body? Sheriff Sills said, "the lake has unusual dynamics from the man-made tides."
Guess, someone maybe reading the WS SD thread and noticed the info shared by one of the local members, huh?

that's what I was TRYING to explain in my dumb way LOL

I do think this has been wishy washy from the beginning IMO

that's what I was TRYING to explain in my dumb way LOL

I do think this has been wishy washy from the beginning IMO

Yep tomkat, you took a beating from most of us, including me for your local insight. "Sorry"...
Outsiders, are often unaware of the culture and other very important info that a local is privy too.

Lake Allatoona, which we discussed a few days ago, was my ole stomping grounds for decades. It has coves with no swimming signs posted.. A DNR ranger explained that the reason for this is that when the dam's spillways are opened for releasing water & generating electricity. Undercurrents are created in these coves that cause a severe safety hazard for swimmers..

hey where'd you find info that family hired PI? Thnx

It is my opinion they did, based on the fact that someone went to Huddle House to request tapes and they were apparently not LE. Likely they are requesting tapes at other locations as well. Also my opinion, the family is spending money on the PI instead of upping the reward.

Yep tomkat, you took a beating from most of us, including me for your local insight. "Sorry"...
Outsiders, are often unaware of the culture and other very important info that a local is privy too.

Lake Allatoona, which we discussed a few days ago, was my ole stomping grounds for decades. It has coves with no swimming signs posted.. A DNR ranger explained that the reason for this is that when the dam's spillways are opened for releasing water & generating electricity. Undercurrents are created in these coves that cause a severe safety hazard for swimmers..

If same applies to Oconee, it would indicate that the outflow is faster, so there would be a tendency for stuff to drift "down stream" to the dam instead of resting at one place. Sills could be conceding that the body drifted to the trees, and/or studying where the head ended up.

Since LE always starts first with those closest to the victims, I think Sills has had SW done on all the homes of the children. Both in NC and Florida. He did say at the start of the case he was looking at the financial aspect first so he has probably looked at their financial records themselves.

That only makes sense that he would check out their children closely and would do that the very first thing. That is SOP. I think that is what took him so long (2 weeks later) to even get around to meeting with the residents at GW and giving them the 28 page questionnaire to complete.

Plus I imagine they have also sent numerous legal requests in all states where the Dermonds may have had financial accounts to obtain those as well.

IMO

IMHO It wouldn't hurt to increase the reward money!

I was surprised at the quick action and professionalism of the Bibb county PD in the LG case at Mercer

They see a lot of crime, a TON, but they are usually small time criminals like drive by shootings, robberies drugs, etc

LG was missing for about the same amount of time as the Dermonds from TOD to it being discovered

The apartments were also clean, like the dermonds house, don't know about immaculate, Bessie and Backwoods can probably recall more specifics on this case tho I followed it pretty closely

If the body hadn't been in the trash can out front of apts of LG and SM, they never would have solved this case and had SM not placed himself in the investigation

I feel those are the 2 major factors in getting her case solved, luck maybe, but otherwise she'd have been a missing person even if SM had placed himself in the investigation, dont' know how LE would have proceeded without knowing she was dead

There was dismemberment to easily rid the body of crime I suppose, unlike this case with RD, he was left there except for the head even tho SD was removed

SM probably had a sexual fixation on LG and/or a fetish to commit the perfect crime (egg on his face)

How can we compare this case to that one as far as PD/LE are concerned?

NO LUCK in finding a pertinent clue??

Just thinking outloud

Since LE always starts first with those closest to the victims, I think Sills has had SW done on all the homes of the children. Both in NC and Florida. He did say at the start of the case he was looking at the financial aspect first so he has probably looked at their financial records themselves.

That only makes sense that he would check out their children closely and would do that the very first thing. That is SOP. I think that is what took him so long (2 weeks later) to even get around to meeting with the residents at GW and giving them the 28 page questionnaire to complete.

Plus I imagine they have also sent numerous legal requests in all states where the Dermonds may have had financial accounts to obtain those as well.

IMO

My only concern with that is, well, you can't trace CASH as easily

NOT that the Dermonds were into anything like drug trafficking or such but when he said he'd seen all their checks for the past 10 years, I was flabbergasted, do we think they would write a check for something illegal?????

It is my opinion they did, based on the fact that someone went to Huddle House to request tapes and they were apparently not LE. Likely they are requesting tapes at other locations as well. Also my opinion, the family is spending money on the PI instead of upping the reward.

I haven't thought about that before you mentioned it Rhyolite but it does make logical sense since many families do hire their own private investigators in cases like this.

I don't think rewards like this are all that successful anyway. Someone that just saw something that would be helpful would call in anyway if they had no involvement imo.

So that would leave someone who is actually connected to the crime somehow and I just don't see them outing themselves for any amount of money.

IMO

My only concern with that is, well, you can't trace CASH as easily

NOT that the Dermonds were into anything like drug trafficking or such but when he said he'd seen all their checks for the past 10 years, I was flabbergasted, do we think they would write a check for something illegal?????

I really don't think Sills thinks the Dermonds are involved in illegal activities but there is a way to trace cash. People are caught quite frequently money laundering so they aren't as smart as they think they are.

IMO

I really don't think Sills thinks the Dermonds are involved in illegal activities but there is a way to trace cash. People are caught quite frequently money laundering so they aren't as smart as they think they are.

IMO

certainly, but mostly remarking specifically about the comment about checks written

I was surprised at the quick action and professionalism of the Bibb county PD in the LG case at Mercer

They see a lot of crime, a TON, but they are usually small time criminals like drive by shootings, robberies drugs, etc

LG was missing for about the same amount of time as the Dermonds from TOD to it being discovered

The apartments were also clean, like the dermonds house, don't know about immaculate, Bessie and Backwoods can probably recall more specifics on this case tho I followed it pretty closely

If the body hadn't been in the trash can out front of apts of LG and SM, they never would have solved this case and had SM not placed himself in the investigation

I feel those are the 2 major factors in getting her case solved, luck maybe, but otherwise she'd have been a missing person even if SM had placed himself in the investigation, dont' know how LE would have proceeded without knowing she was dead

There was dismemberment to easily rid the body of crime I suppose, unlike this case with RD, he was left there except for the head even tho SD was removed

SM probably had a sexual fixation on LG and/or a fetish to commit the perfect crime (egg on his face)

How can we compare this case to that one as far as PD/LE are concerned?

NO LUCK in finding a pertinent clue??

Just thinking outloud

Tomkat, I think we have all compared the Dermond abduction/murder/decapitation case with many other cases past. The abduction/murder/decapitation of John & Irene Bryant(10/2007-NC) is the only case that comes to my mind..
Found Deceased NC - John Bryant, 79, & Irene Bryant - NC
http://www.thenewsobserver.com/articles/2007/12/25/news/news02.txt

If the perp/s had taken both S & R Dermond and disposed both of their bodies in the lake w/o leaving any signs of a crime. They would have been considered as only missing persons/adults. Other than a Silver Alert being initiated, the investigation would have had much less; urgency, investigative resources dedicated, and would have simply been a mystery...
Adults have the right to go missing..

The decapitation of RD and his missing head, combined with the torso being left in the garage changed not only the urgency of the investigation, but the horrific nature and magnitude of the crime.. Seems, the perp/s would have had to know that this would be the case.

The brazen perp/s were making a statement, while challenging authorities, imo.. Why?

Mrs. D was in the water for quite a while. I would think that makes it difficult - before autopsy - to see the injury.

Iirc, Sills even addressed this with the reporters who were hounding him to tell them about the condition Shirley was found in. In fact he became a little perturbed by the questions.

I think I remember him saying something like this. "Look, I wasn't inspecting the body. I was trying to get a dead body out of the water.' paraphrasing from memory of course.

They are very careful not to disturb the body anymore than is necessary. They usually will use a water repellent gurney/body sling and will put it up under the body and lift it out of the water without touching the remains.

IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member